Mystique gender confusion

#1 Posted by Namor1987 (1883 posts) - - Show Bio

What gender is she really? I heard she was supposed to be a man originally plus her origins are shrouded in mystery & confusion so I was wondering if she was really a he or something in-between? Plus on her power 
list it say "attractive male" & attractive female?

#2 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

She's female.  The whole 'man' thing came about because of Claremont's plan for the original Nightcrawler origin.  The idea was that Mystique would turn into a man and impregnate Destiny.  This was a going a little far for the era, so the whole thing with the German husband was introduced later.

#3 Posted by laughingcorpse (190 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how that would be possible. I mean i'm sure Mystique can transform into a man, and have all the man parts. But i doubt she would be able to produce sperm needed to impregnate Destiny

#4 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio
@laughingcorpse: I guess the idea was to really test her powers to see how far she could really go. I think it would have been interesting though I am glad she is a female. She is one of the more interesting characters and really loved her solo book from a few years ago. If they didn't screw up her X-Men movie status, Mystique could have been a great spin-off movie.
#5 Posted by laughingcorpse (190 posts) - - Show Bio
@bingbangboom: Yea i really liked the stand alone books too. But still in the Claremont days i don't think her powers would be as advanced to pull something like that off. Maybe nowa days. since she has progressed soo much but. but still it doesn't seem right. 
#6 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio
@laughingcorpse: I wonder if she could split herself into two? Considering she can shape shift, imagine the possibilities and stories. A good and bad mystique?
#7 Posted by laughingcorpse (190 posts) - - Show Bio
@bingbangboom: That would make for an interesting character change. But unless she mutates more...Perhaps if that did happen her personalities would also split and we would have a good Mystique and a bad mystique. But something like that seems like it would have to be a permanent split. 
#8 Posted by NightFang (9962 posts) - - Show Bio

She a woman who like's to turn into men, what's the confusion? 

#9 Posted by ahimsadawn (50 posts) - - Show Bio

She's a shape-shifter.  I don't think male/female is all that important.  She presents as female in her natural state. 

@laughingcorpse
said:

" I don't see how that would be possible. I mean i'm sure Mystique can transform into a man, and have all the man parts. But i doubt she would be able to produce sperm needed to impregnate Destiny "
That's assuming that the mutation only gives her power over her external appearance.  If her shape-shifting abilities are advanced enough, it's not unreasonable to think that she could also control her internal form.
#10 Posted by laughingcorpse (190 posts) - - Show Bio
@ahimsadawn: Of course it isn't unreasonable. It's Mystique for goodness sakes, her abilities have grown to do things never expected. But at the time when this was happening. She just doesn't seem advanced enough to do such things. It seems more likely to happen now
#11 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

She is female

#12 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Shemale O_O

#13 Posted by ubungqingili (74 posts) - - Show Bio

im sure she can do that easily who knows she probably has other kids by getting girls pregnant.

#14 Posted by Vitalius (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

@laughingcorpse:

If Spiderman has toxic sperm, why Mystique as man couldnt produce sperm as man ?

#15 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

@vitalius: How does spidey have toxic sperm when hes produced kids ?

#16 Posted by Vitalius (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725:

It was on future timeline where Mary Jane died because Spiderman had toxic sperm and die because of radiation.

#17 Edited by ubungqingili (74 posts) - - Show Bio

@vitalius said:

@kgb725:

It was on future timeline where Mary Jane died because Spiderman had toxic sperm and die because of radiation.

oh man i could not stop laughing at that at that death by sperm. but anyway mystique could easily get a girl pregnant.

#18 Posted by Vitalius (1744 posts) - - Show Bio

@ubungqingili:

Actually it is death by sex. But it is one of thoose things that you wonder what hell were they thinking when come with that idea? And why death ? Why not Mary Jane becoming Spiderwoman? Is everything that comes from him radioactive ?

#19 Posted by ubungqingili (74 posts) - - Show Bio

@vitalius said:

@ubungqingili:

Actually it is death by sex. But it is one of thoose things that you wonder what hell were they thinking when come with that idea? And why death ? Why not Mary Jane becoming Spiderwoman? Is everything that comes from him radioactive ?

im surprise she did not die of kissing him you know radioactive spit in all lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.