Follow

Mr. Terrific

Character » Mr. Terrific appears in 921 issues.

Michael Holt aka Mr. Terrific is the 3rd smartest man alive. Mr. Terrific embodies his Golden Age predecessor's slogan of "Fair Play", and is currently the leader of his own team, the Terrifics.

Atheist!!

spider2dfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By spider2dfly

He is the only guy that I know who is an Atheist(a person who doesn't believe in any supreme being, namely a god).

I'm not into DC, but I like him, because I'm also an Atheist..

Who else think that he is a cool hero?

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lordraiden

spider2dfly says:

"He is the only guy that I know who is an Atheist(a person who doesn't believe in any supreme being, namely a god). I'm not into DC, but I like him, because I'm also an Atheist.. Who else think that he is a cool hero?"

I think he's awsome, but it has nothing to do with his beliefes!

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Methos

I don't understand this...

Mr. Terrific is an atheist, with no belief in god, even though he has personally worked alongside The Specter, the right hand of God, and Zauriel, a member of The Host (An Angel) and have actually had proof of God existing several times in DC continuity...

Why be an atheist with that much proof, it's like me saying i don't believe in electricity while working on my computer lol

M

spider2dfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By spider2dfly

That's the thing about Mr. Terrific, he knows that the world is full of mysticism, gods spirits and whatever. Yet he finds a "logical explanation" in the paranormal. That why he is the 3rd smartest..

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Batman is also supposed to ba atheist, Reed Richards and Tony Stark probably are too. It's sort of a left wing bias in comics that to be truely intelligent you have to be an atheist, even if you live in a universe populated by Norse gods and angelic beings.
    Post Edited:2008-04-19 09:04:48

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Gottheit

Atheism is stupidity in the superhero universe. Agnosticism? Understandable? Being a stone-cold atheist?! C'mon, jackhole, don't be a douche.

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Yes, I doubt any of them would sign up for the clergy. But getting a religion doesn't mean you have to go from atheism to pope.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gottheit

I wonder what Punisher is.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lordraiden

Gottheit says:

"I wonder what Punisher is."

A psychotic inhuman who's lost touch with humanity?

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vrakmul

I say all characters should be A. Athiests. B. Agonists or best of all. C great old one worshippers.

Avatar image for vlad_tepes_dracula
    Vlad Tepes Dracula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Methos says:

"I don't understand this...Mr. Terrific is an atheist, with no belief in god, even though he has personally worked alongside The Specter, the right hand of God, and Zauriel, a member of The Host (An Angel) and have actually had proof of God existing several times in DC continuity...Why be an atheist with that much proof, it's like me saying i don't believe in electricity while working on my computer lolM"

but he hasnt worked with god himself has he?

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Static Shock

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"Batman is also supposed to ba atheist"

He's depicted as agnostic, most of the time. And, sometimes, he's depicted as religious, depending on the writer.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#13  Edited By No_Name_

Gottheit says:

"I wonder what Punisher is."

Thats so weird, I was reading through the thread and asked myself the exact same question.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Static Shock

I think Punisher is a man without faith. He's possibly atheist. Look at the way he carries himself and the impact his family's death has had on him.

Shaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shaper

Methos says:

"I don't understand this... Mr. Terrific is an atheist, with no belief in god, even though he has personally worked alongside The Specter, the right hand of God, and Zauriel, a member of The Host (An Angel) and have actually had proof of God existing several times in DC continuity... Why be an atheist with that much proof, it's like me saying i don't believe in electricity while working on my computer lol M"

Exactly.

spider2dfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By spider2dfly

You know what I think, all of them are atheist. And the only time they become religious is when someone is gonna get married, someone died, or someone had an epiphany..

T.J. Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By T.J. Magnum

Mr.Terrific is one of the best,who cares what he does or doesn't believe in

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Methos said:
    "

Mr. Terrific is an atheist, with no belief in god, even though he has personally worked alongside The Specter, the right hand of God, and Zauriel, a member of The Host (An Angel) and have actually had proof of God existing several times in DC continuity...

Why be an atheist with that much proof, it's like me saying i don't believe in electricity while working on my computer lol

M

"
    I agree with everything you said.
    Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Apparition
    Methos said:
    "

M

"
    and i thought he was supposed to be the third smartest man on the planet...
    T.J. Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By T.J. Magnum
    Methos said:
    "

M

"

that makes sense,but still doesn't effect what i think of him
    Avatar image for phoenixsouvenir
    The_Absolute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Absolute

I think in the realm of comics, there's no such thing as faith or miracles in the biblical sense. This is how Atheism is contrasted for Believers of a particular faith. Mr. T (wow! No relation?) doesn't believe that there is a Higher Power who will just make the impossible, improbable and illogical happen just because someone somewhere asked him, her or it to, but that there is a logical reason, a scientific method, and a quantifiable purpose to such intervention. And if that weren't true in comics then every story could end with God intervened and saved the day.

So you can't view Atheism in comics in the same way you would in real life because in comics true Faith is impossible since it's all fiction and make believe.

The funny thing is that in the real world God works precisely within a logical reason, using scientific method, and having a quantifiable purpose - that's why the God I believe in is a God of the science of truth, love, light and life.

Thank you. (^_^) (-_-) (^_^) ::steps down from his pulpit and retakes his seat::

Magnus/Murdock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Magnus/Murdock
    Cosmic Sentinel said:
    "

Batman is also supposed to ba atheist, Reed Richards and Tony Stark probably are too. It's sort of a left wing bias in comics that to be truely intelligent you have to be an atheist, even if you live in a universe populated by Norse gods and angelic beings.

"
    Booster Gold, Quasar, Hank Pym, Mystique, and Ms.Marvel are  atheist.
    Triumphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Triumphant

I like him a lot but only because he's black, cool suit, and a genius

RioBravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RioBravo
    Magnus/Murdock said:
    "Cosmic Sentinel said:
    "

"
    Booster Gold, Quasar, Hank Pym, Mystique, and Ms.Marvel are  atheist."

I don't think Ms. Marvel is.  In her current series she's mentioned praying and God.  It is not a central part of her character as it is with other heroes (Daredevil, Nightcrawler), but I've never seen anything that says Ms. Marvel is an atheist.

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By MrMiracle77
    Gottheit said:

I wonder what Punisher is

Grab yourself a copy of "What if..." #44 (second series).  This story, which is spun from Spiderman ridding himself of the symbiote costume in a Catholic belltower, has Frank Castle behaving in a surprisingly faithful manner.  Castle becomes the recipient of Venom instead of Brock.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By Erik
    Frank is catholic. 
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27  Edited By The_Martian
    Methos said:
    "

M

"
    I was just thinking that exact same thing when I saw the title of the thread.
    Cytorrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cytorrak
    @spider2dfly said:
    "

You know what I think, all of them are atheist. And the only time they become religious is when someone is gonna get married, someone died, or someone had an epiphany..

"
    I know this is an old post, but I was having a debate about religion and somehow stumbled onto this thread googling. (Incidentally if anyone has that image where Mr Terrific is being asked how he can be an atheist in the comic, I'm looking for it.)

I'm an atheist, for the record, but this statement you've made here doesn't make any sense.

At the start of the thread you said you didn't like DC, but you liked Mr Terrific because he's an atheist. I don't like that kind of thinking, because that treats atheism as a religion, as if it were a set of beliefs. It's not. It's one single belief. There are conservative atheists, and liberal atheists. It's simply believing there's no god.

My problem though is, if the reason you think Mr Terrific is cool is because he's an atheist, how can you not like all the others when you've stated you think they're all atheists too?

In any event,in real life it's logical to be an atheist, in comic books where you know for a fact Thor and Hercules and the Judeo-Christian god and all related characters really exist, it's kind of silly to claim to be an atheist. You don't have to observe any faith, but you can't just say "That guy over there with the hammer and the helmet with the wings on it calling down thunder? Yeah, he's not real."
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By PowerHerc
    @Methos said:
    "

M

"

Good points.
    sirderpity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By sirderpity

@Cosmic Sentinel: well i still get called an immoral satan worshiper for being an atheist so it aint working also am i the only one who doesnt understand that insult we dont belive in satan

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Veshark

Mr. Terrific is cool. I prefer his old black-jacket look, but he's always been shown to be a hyper-intelligent badass.

As for the matter of atheism, I don't really care either way what religion comic-characters believe in. In my opinion, it doesn't matter because for the comic universe - and I realize this is going to sound very meta - the one true God is the creative team. So I don't feel an obligation for any character to belong to any denomination.

That being said, I'd get annoyed by out-of-character religion. Darkseid should never be portrayed as a devout Buddhist, for instance (Though that would be kind of funny).

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#33  Edited By SC  Moderator

I think some people in this thread are confused. In real life many real things have claimed to be a god. I can confirm these real things are real, but confirming they are real does not mean confirming their claim is real. Then again many real people have made claims of being a god and have actually met some of the traditional definitions and criteria of being a god,like being worshipped by other people. So having and working with a clear cut definition and criteria as to the type of god actually goes a long way for making sense of things. A similar process works as well in fiction. Sure in fiction you can have beings that met certain criteria of godhood in ways no current real life humans can, but that doesn't mean that they are meeting the definition of the god that the fictional atheist lacks belief in. In this sense you can even have an atheist character refer to another character as a god without betraying their belief or lack of belief in gods, because words can obviously have more than one meaning.

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

@Fluffydaninja said:

@Cosmic Sentinel: well i still get called an immoral satan worshiper for being an atheist so it aint working also am i the only one who doesnt understand that insult we dont belive in satan

Well you did just resurrect a long dead thread to a zombie life to reply to comments I made nearly 5 years ago, which seems pretty Satanic ;)

plastickid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmic_sentinel: That's a pretty bigoted don't you think. That's pretty much the opposite of left wing. You're suppose to be more "accepting" and such. Not all smart people are atheist. Not every atheist is a smart person.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.