Follow

Mr. Sinister

Character » Mr. Sinister appears in 1864 issues.

Mr. Sinister is a supervillain originating from Marvel Comics. Nathaniel Essex was a 19th Century scientist that was genetically mutated by Apocalypse, who shared his philosophy of Social Darwinism. Becoming the immortal Mr. Sinister, he is perhaps the greatest geneticist in the world; capable of cloning, creating, enhancing, and controlling mutant abilities. Sinister is one of the X-Men's most dangerous enemies.

Is Mr. Sinister actually a mutant?

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Edited By The Impersonator

According to comics and the animated series, Mr. Sinister was never born a mutant, but gained powers by Apocalypse or experimented himself. So that makes Sinister a mutant?
    courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By courtney12490

No, it makes him a mutate.

Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Tainted-Cell

Nope, he's just freakin awesome.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By SoA

human mutant , like omega red or deadpool

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By LT1085
    @courtney12490 said:
    " No, it makes him a mutate. "
    SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SoA
    @Edamame:  can you explain the difference between the two? i always thought the two were interchangable
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Magian
    @SoA:
    Mutant is someone who has his powers because his was born with an x-gene. Mutates on the other hand are normal humans who gained their powers later in life through accidents, experimentation, genetic engineering etc.
    SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SoA
    @Edamame:  so omega has the x-gene ? i thought , like deadpool, weapon x gave him his abilities
    RavenDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By RavenDark

Omega Red was born as a mutant....when he matured his deathspore virus activated and everybody started dieing around him...... 
    He decided to be a serial killer.
    Eventually he was caught by Banshee when Sean was working for the Interpol......
    "Somehow" he ended up in weapon X program where they outfitted him with carbonadium coils to control his deathspore virus....

RavenDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RavenDark
    @Edamame: 
    No....your right the KGB gave him his coils(I mixed this one with an alternative version)....and death-spore is actually his Death Factor (Also mixed my realities..)
    About being the child-r., I do not remember...I remember however how Banishee was disgusted in the way that Arkady had a perverse joy in killing innocents.....
    The Dude.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The Dude.
    @courtney12490 said:
    " No, it makes him a mutate. "

Pretty much. He was not born a mutant, and become what he is with the help of Apocalypse once he entered his life.  A mutant is someone born with a mutant gene from homo sapien, in my opinion, Not genetic alteration.
    Ransack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ransack

Apocalypse activated Sinister's dormant X-gene the same way he did to Exodus.
    SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SoA
    @Edamame:  right, i think every secret government facility that specializes in augmenting powers in mutants and non mutants is weapon x. sorry about the typo from before  lol
    RavenDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RavenDark
    @Edamame
    " @Edamame:  No....your right the KGB gave him his coils(I mixed this one with an alternative version)....and death-spore is actually his Death Factor (Also mixed my realities..) About being the child-r., I do not remember...I remember however how Banishee was disgusted in the way that Arkady had a perverse joy in killing innocents..... "

I wonder how far into his body the Carbonadium tentacles go. Just up into his arms?  And is the Carbonadium armor stuck onto him?  
    I think that his tentacles are the only fixed parts permanently embedded into his body....He fought Wolverine and Colossus almost naked....
    The range of those coils is pretty impressive, they are telescopic in behavior, which more or less explains its compact form...... 
    The carbonadium is slowly killing him though, but like Logan, his Death Factor keeps him alive....(Unless he cured himself with carbonadium synthesizer)

Omega Red
    Omega Red

Do you think that Exodus is a mutate?
    Ransack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ransack
    @Edamame:
    You're right. Over the past century or so, Sinister mutated himself even further by splicing the genes of other mutants into his system, but he is still a mutant first and foremost. His x-gene was activated by Apocalypse, but does that make him less of a mutant?
    RavenDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RavenDark
    @Edamame: 
    Omega Red has a healing factor like Scalphunter....That means "back from the dead" healing factor...
    His healing factor, strength, speed and durability is also boosted to  superior levels when his actively killing some one with his Death Factor.....
    When they first put carbonadium into his body it was slowly killing him...The only way to stop this was for him to kill people in a regular time intervals with his death factor to boost
    his healing factor...Essentially he HAD to kill people to survive....
    Omega Red was searching for the carbonadium synthesizer either to remove the carbonadium from his body or to purify it of the toxic impurities it had.....
    Ransack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ransack
    @Edamame said:
    " @Ransack said:
    " @Edamame: You're right. Over the past century or so, Sinister mutated himself even further by splicing the genes of other mutants into his system, but he is still a mutant first and foremost. His x-gene was activated by Apocalypse, but does that make him less of a mutant? "
    No. Sinister is not a mutant. He was a human geneticist and became a mutate through aforementioned methods and processes.  I am not sure why you think that Sinister is a mutant. Are you thinking about the mutant named Exodus whose powers Apocalypse activated? "

No, I'm, thinking about Sinister. Read The Futher Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix. Apocalypse activated sinister's dormant X-gene and same way he did Exodus. Read and learn.
    Solarflare32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Solarflare32

If sinister is mutate why in first to last was he identified as a potential leader for the mutant race.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Hazlenaut

has he and or she or neither been reborn. That could take some effect.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By Nerx

He got touched by apocalypse while strapped to a table

cennobite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cennobite

Sinister received his powers in two ways one genetic manipulation done to him by Apocalpyse and secondly genetic splicing he did to himself using DNA samples from mutants, he isn't a mutant at all & as for Exodus he is a mutant that had his abilities awoken by Apocalpyse. As for Omega Red he is also a mutant, he had his abilities augmented by the Soviets though & had the carbonadium tentacles attached to him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.