Could Mr. Majestic replace Superman

#1 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

If when all the dust settles from the lawsuit between DC and the Siegel/Shuster heirs and DC actually did lose the rights to Superman, could Majestic take his place? In the revamp they are bringing Wildstorm characters into the mainstream DC universe so rights wouldn't really be an issue and Majestic is just as if not more powerful than Superman so he'd easily be capable of dealing with all the same threats Superman does.

#2 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

He might be close enough to Superman to get a cease and desist on using him.

#3 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

It could, since I really don't see majestic and superman co-existing in the same universe.

#4 Posted by Hydraboob (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Cease and Desist? If they did that to every character that was like Superman there would be a lot of characters vanishing for no apparent reason.

#5 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hydraboob: There are probably several hundred characters that would get rid of not just in DC but in Marvel, Image, Dark Horse and pretty much every other comic company on Earth, no more Hyperion, Gladiator, Omni-man,Plutonian or Icon
#6 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: Yeah. Well if the lawsuit is a win for them that is.
#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio
@gravitypress: I know it is unlikely that they'll lose Superman I'm just saying what if?
#8 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not so sure the general public will adopt Majestic so quickly if at all. He could do the same feats of heroism but he is missing that pop-culture icon feel.

#9 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

@gravitypress said:

I am not so sure the general public will adopt Majestic so quickly if at all. He could do the same feats of heroism but he is missing that pop-culture icon feel.

QFT

I like Majestic but you summed it up perfectly.

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio
@gravitypress: Who do you think could have that kind of pop culture appeal cause honestly it can't possibly be a long list considering that people who've never seen a comic book before know who Superman is 
#11 Posted by PowerHerc (85026 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Majestic is cool, but there is only one Superman. Only one "Man of Steel."

Superman can't be replaced.

#12 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

true...

#13 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc: The point of this thread is a completely hypothetical, if they had to replace Superman scenario and if so would Majestic be a valid option? 
#14 Posted by The_Tree (7723 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

Nope. Majestic is cool, but there is only one Superman. Only one "Man of Steel."

QFT.
But if Superman were to ever leave DC, I'd want Captain Marvel to take his place.
#15 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe:  As far as Superman-esque? People who have never read a comic could probably identify Wonderwoman or Captian Marvel(maybe). Though maybe the gap should not be filled as a testament to his leaving. DC made the mistake of pumping the big three so much the other characters are a ways behind.
#16 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

Majestic is just a completely different character, he's an actual warrior and scientist. While Superman is a true blue hero. I like them both for different reasons, but they couldn't replace each other.

#17 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio

Zod. If they HAD to replace Superman they should use Zod.

#18 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking maybe Captain Marvel could replace him if they absolutely had to do it.  

But I'm confident that Superman isn't going anywhere, so I'm not worried. 

#19 Posted by PowerHerc (85026 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@PowerHerc: The point of this thread is a completely hypothetical, if they had to replace Superman scenario and if so would Majestic be a valid option?

In that case; I guess they could attempt to use him, but I'd much rather them use Captain Marvel (Billy Batson) as their premeire powerhouse.

Still, to reitterate; there is simply no replacing Superman. Losing the Man of Steel would permanently damage DC Comics in such a profound way that the company would never, ever recover.

#20 Posted by PowerHerc (85026 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@PowerHerc said:

QFT. But if Superman were to ever leave DC, I'd want Captain Marvel to take his place.

Agreed.

#21 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc: I understand your point it'd be like if Disney lost Mickey Mouse 
#22 Posted by PowerHerc (85026 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@PowerHerc: I understand your point it'd be like if Disney lost Mickey Mouse

Exactly. Great analogy.

#23 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

If I were DC I would be pumping money into making Shazam the word on the street. I dont think they will lose Supes but its better to plan ahead.

#24 Posted by Buckshot (18919 posts) - - Show Bio

Majestic could never replace Superman. Superman is more than just the powers, he's the character. He's endless hope, 100% good, annoyingly perfect, and looked up to for all of that and more. Majestic is never going to be that. He's a pragmatist, not and idealist, and that's an important distinction. He could do the job and he could even lead other heroes, but they'd be following a commander, not a symbol or something to aspire to like Superman is.

@Gambler said:

That would be far more interesting than majestic. My first thought is that Superman would have to die somehow and his death would change Zod and have him wanting to honor Supes. He'd have to get through the hardwork of proving himself to humans and other heroes and earning the right to take his place, but I think that would be a good, sort of like Superman being human more than alien because he lived a human life and built the character he's known for today. Zod could put in the work and do the same, maybe.

#25 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Impossible, not without changing the character way too much. Superman is hope, perfectness, the ideal of what we all aim and strive to be. Majestic has his flaws, which makes him (in my opinion) a more interesting charcter, in a completely different way than Superman, regardless, he can't replace Superman.
#26 Posted by MikeLitoris (138 posts) - - Show Bio

From a functional standpoint, yes. He's superior to Superman in every way. He would handle threats with far more precision and efficiency. However, I haven't read a lot of Mr. Majestic, but from what I have gathered, his morals and ideals are different than those of Superman. So I'm not exactly sure how that would pan out.

#27 Posted by kimeraevet (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel would definitely be my choice to replace Superman if DC lost its rights to the character. Majestic could fill in for a little bit, but as someone said "He is lacking in pop culture appeal."

They do need to bring Majestic back though. Him and Black Adam.

#28 Posted by Lord Dynamic (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think any judge would be willing to let Superman be removed from the company that made him what he is. DC and Superman go together like Oil companies and the GOP. If Superman was removed from DC I think it would simply be the end of Superman. Can you imagine if somebody like Rob Liefeld took over The Man of Steel, we'd never see Supe's Feet again. He'd be nothing like what the country or the World knows him as. I'd give any non DC Superman a few months before he was canceled. Majestic can co-exist with Superman in the same universe, much like Captain Marvel did. Majestic could replace Superman, and unfortunately sell more copies than Supe's could.

#29 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33897 posts) - - Show Bio

Does nobody else think Conner should replace him?

#30 Posted by Onemoreposter (4069 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@PowerHerc: The point of this thread is a completely hypothetical, if they had to replace Superman scenario and if so would Majestic be a valid option?

In the" have to replace Superman scenario" you don't replace Superman, you just lose. Everytime. It's sorta like the Kobayashi Maru.

@PowerHerc said:

@The_Tree said:

@PowerHerc said:

QFT. But if Superman were to ever leave DC, I'd want Captain Marvel to take his place.

Agreed.

As an in Universe response that does seem the most logical. However, we've had several "Supes leaves" stories; the Death of Superman, New Krypton, whenever Supes is sad and decides to travel the cosmos, ect. Never once have we seen the Big Cheese get written in as the earths number one defender. They really oughta do that next time.

#31 Posted by PowerHerc (85026 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

@joshmightbe said:

In the" have to replace Superman scenario" you don't replace Superman, you just lose. Everytime. It's sorta like the Kobayashi Maru.

@PowerHerc said:

@The_Tree said:

@PowerHerc said:

Agreed.

As an in Universe response that does seem the most logical. However, we've had several "Supes leaves" stories; the Death of Superman, New Krypton, whenever Supes is sad and decides to travel the cosmos, ect. Never once have we seen the Big Cheese get written in as the earths number one defender. They really oughta do that next time.

Hear! Hear!

Exactly!

#32 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

That could actually be kind of cool, if they could find a reasonable way to make General Zod adopt a hero role... it could be interesting if he kept his monstrous ego and all those other "villainous" qualities. It would be enough to perk my interest.

#33 Posted by HolySerpent (12633 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see billy replacing Supes if anything ever happen

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.