Follow

Mr. Fantastic

Character » Mr. Fantastic appears in 6884 issues.

Reed Richards, also known as Mr. Fantastic, is the leader of the Fantastic Four. He can stretch his body to great distances due to his exposure to cosmic rays while in space. He is also considered to be one of the smartest men alive, using his brain to explore alternate dimensions and save the world alongside his family from science-based threats.

Why can't Mr. Fantastic be better than Iron Man?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jhazzroucher

Reed Richards is more intelligent and he can do more about technologies and better stuff than Iron Man.

Why can't he be better?

If it's his powers make him not suitable, he can make one for one of the members of Fantastic Four or even create Fantasticbots which could be better than Doom's Doombots.

He can create hundreds of Fantastinels (better than sentinels) to protect people and stop crime.

Why can't he?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @jhazzroucher: Better how?
    jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@jhazzroucher: Better how?

well he can create a suit better than Iron Man's

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Imagine_Man15

@Jonny_Anonymous: I think in regards to technology and robotics.

I think Reed could probably give Tony a run for his money... but engineering and robotics is Tony's thing. I think while Reed is overall a better scientists and more intelligent, Stark surpasses him in two categories; strategy and engineering.

That's just my opinion, though.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Lvenger

@Imagine_Man15 said:

I think Reed could probably give Tony a run for his money... but engineering and robotics is Tony's thing. I think while Reed is overall a better scientists and more intelligent, Stark surpasses him in two categories; strategy and engineering.

This is the most suitable answer. Reed's the better scientist, Tony's a better engineer and strategist.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Lvenger said:

@Imagine_Man15 said:

This is the most suitable answer. Reed's the better scientist, Tony's a better engineer and strategist.

come on guys. Reed can make time machines and other stuff that is better than Iron Man's

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By InnerVenom123

@jhazzroucher said:

@Lvenger said:

@Imagine_Man15 said:

come on guys. Reed can make time machines and other stuff that is better than Iron Man's

Aside from your fanboy wetdream, why would he even care about outdoing Tony?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jhazzroucher

@InnerVenom123 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Lvenger said:

@Imagine_Man15 said:

Aside from your fanboy wetdream, why would he even care about outdoing Tony?

not really outdoing Tony. It's just that if Tony could do it, he could do better. he can make a suit that can fly faster, blaster that are more powerful, etc. That way, it will also be easier for him to save the world if he brings his stuff by making his own suit

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By InnerVenom123

@jhazzroucher said:

not really outdoing Tony. It's just that if Tony could do it, he could do better. he can make a suit that can fly faster, blaster that are more powerful, etc. That way, it will also be easier for him to save the world if he brings his stuff by making his own suit

"Oh he's not outdoing Tony! He's just doing everything Tony does, but better!"

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jhazzroucher

@InnerVenom123 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

well, i guess yes.

but not on drinking and girls. : )

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#11  Edited By Lvenger

@InnerVenom123 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

Lol. Your snide remarks always do make me chuckle.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By InnerVenom123

@jhazzroucher said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

well, i guess yes.

It's fascinating to watch your logic.

It's like a trainwreck, and the train is filled with puppies.

On fire.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jhazzroucher

@InnerVenom123 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

well, i guess yes.

On fire.

well, the way you use that word created a pejorative effect that's why i didn't agree to it.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By JonSmith

Partially because Reed looks up to Tony, hard as that may be to believe. Tony's something of an idol to Reed, and that may be one reason. Aside from that, Reed is more into metaphysics, alternate dimensions, etc. Tony's all about the hardware. Different fields. But you and Venom keep duking it out. I brought popcorn.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By InnerVenom123

@jhazzroucher said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

well, i guess yes.

On fire.

well, the way you use that word created a pejorative effect that's why i didn't agree to it.

I...

I just.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

No need to create armour. Even though his power is always underwritten, he's essentially invulnerable to physical attacks. Combined that with his plot guns, and there's no way he's not better.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Deranged Midget

Oh boy...

Gibbet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gibbet

@jhazzroucher: The same reason why they made him 'useless' because Marvel kinda wants to relate with the real world , in a sense that 9/11 occurs in a world where heroes can stop it at will (that is crap). If not then Reed will usher the earth in a space age and bump earth up several notches on the Kardashev scale. (but noooo.... marvel wants a relatable palate of comics)

ColonelRunAway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By ColonelRunAway

Reed's still more of a scientist than a traditional hero. He'll do whatever is necessary to help humanity, but he's not the type to patrol the streets looking for random crime when he could be playing with the higgs boson or something. Creating an army of fascist policebots to go all Shadowland on the world falls pretty strictly into sticking his nose where it doesn't belong territory.

Plus the whole robot idea always leads to a Skynet scenario. Always. Every single time.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@ColonelRunAway said:

Reed's still more of a scientist than a traditional hero. He'll do whatever is necessary to help humanity, but he's not the type to patrol the streets looking for random crime when he could be playing with the higgs boson or something. Creating an army of fascist policebots to go all Shadowland on the world falls pretty strictly into sticking his nose where it doesn't belong territory.

Plus the whole robot idea always leads to a Skynet scenario. Always. Every single time.

I agree with everything you said. And your so right about the Robot Cops. As smart as Reed is can you imagine what would happen if he sat down and really did some tinkering? The Marvel U has had trouble with Pyms Ultron Imagine what would happen if Reed made a similar machine and it went nuts? Oh and if the Op wants to see Reed outshine Tony abit then they should read Ultimates. Reed basically made fools of the whole Ultimate U.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Guardiandevil83 said:

@ColonelRunAway said:

I agree with everything you said. And your so right about the Robot Cops. As smart as Reed is can you imagine what would happen if he sat down and really did some tinkering? The Marvel U has had trouble with Pyms Ultron Imagine what would happen if Reed made a similar machine and it went nuts? Oh and if the Op wants to see Reed outshine Tony abit then they should read Ultimates. Reed basically made fools of the whole Ultimate U.

how about he'll just made one that has a controller so that he doesn't need to go to the crime scene and just help and look at it through the robot that's he's controlling

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By X35

because he doesn't have a movie out

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@jhazzroucher said:

@Guardiandevil83 said:

@ColonelRunAway said:

how about he'll just made one that has a controller so that he doesn't need to go to the crime scene and just help and look at it through the robot that's he's controlling

Theres still no gurrantee with machines/computers. They can still be compromised.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Guardiandevil83 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Guardiandevil83 said:

@ColonelRunAway said:

Theres still no gurrantee with machines/computers. They can still be compromised.

but he himself can also be compromised

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I think the real question is "Why can't Iron Man be better than Mr. Fantastic?"

Reed's smarter and doesn't need a suit. Plus, he doesn't regularly turn his back on his friends or have the personal problems Tony has.

allthatsgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By allthatsgeek

@jloneblackheart: I like to think of it as "Reed focuses on grown up big boy inventions" Whereas "Tony just builds a suit of armor to huck at it"

Suits of armor would be a step down for Reed.

infonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By infonation

@jhazzroucher: Reed already HAS developed a suit of armor similar to the Iron Man suit! When Ben Grimm lost his powers as the Thing, he needed an edge. So Reed built him a robotic suit that looked like the Thing and was almost as powerful until Ben was transformed back!

allthatsgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By allthatsgeek

@infonation said:

@jhazzroucher: Reed already HAS developed a suit of armor similar to the Iron Man suit! When Ben Grimm lost his powers as the Thing, he needed an edge. So Reed built him a robotic suit that looked like the Thing and was almost as powerful until Ben was transformed back!

I'm guessing this is probably the same suit used by "Miss Thing" in the new FF book...

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By PowerHerc

There is no reason why he can't.

He can.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SoA

@jhazzroucher: reed is boring , stark is cool . the end.

ColonelRunAway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ColonelRunAway

@jhazzroucher said:

@Guardiandevil83 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@Guardiandevil83 said:

@ColonelRunAway said:

but he himself can also be compromised

If he's just sitting in a lab with a remote control, then he's still wasting roughly as much time as it would take to actually go out and do it in the first place, only he isn't actually using any of his abilities. The only way it'd come close to being more efficient is if he let someone else take the controls while he focused his abilities on whatever it is he usually does when he's not in the field. Except now in addition to his normal workload, he needs to spend a few hours and millions of dollars on maintenance for it. All so it can either A) replace him on the standard FF missions that he has a good decade of field experience on and can handle for free, or B) deal with situations like street crime or terrorism that he has no particular interest in, is usually efficiently dealt with by the tens of thousands of other local heroes, and could probably guilt Ben and Johnny into handling for him if it ever got serious enough to warrant his attention.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrShway88

@Imagine_Man15: Better Scientist? What Science?

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Imagine_Man15

@MrShway88: I don't really keep up with Fantastic Four, but doesn't Reed consistently do things such as create time machines, transverse dimensions, design and build advanced technology, and other things that generally require the application of science?

Unless you were talking about Tony, in which case, we're both making the same point in a roundabout way.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Crom-Cruach

@jhazzroucher said:

Why can't he be better?

Because he's a douchy villain, one of the most devious and cunning in the Marvel U. Having convinced even his writers that he's not a villain.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jhazzroucher

@SoA said:

@jhazzroucher: reed is boring , stark is cool . the end.

The reason I like reading Fantastic Four is because of what Reed is saying.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SoA

@jhazzroucher: ive read ff after johnny died , and its not bad a book . but im answering the question why cant reed be better than stark.stark is cooler .

here is a loophole for AvX fans why didn't they get the FF involved with taking out phoenix? reed to his credit must've had at least 20-30 ideas on how to go about it.

aaunderoath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By aaunderoath

@jhazzroucher said:

Reed Richards is more intelligent and he can do more about technologies and better stuff than Iron Man.

Why can't he be better?

If it's his powers make him not suitable, he can make one for one of the members of Fantastic Four or even create Fantasticbots which could be better than Doom's Doombots.

He can create hundreds of Fantastinels (better than sentinels) to protect people and stop crime.

Why can't he?

going to be honest .. didnt read the rest of the thread so if this was said already i'm sorry :P

All of Marvel's smart guys specialize in something different, so technically there isn't really a smartest one. Reed, Pym, Stark, and Beast all specialize in different areas, this is explained in an event or something can't remember where. Stark is an Engineering genius, Pym is Bio-Chemistry, Reed is Astro physics mainly, and Beast I can't remember. But the point is these guys specialties don't overlap very much, they're better than everyone else in all branches of science but they're smarter than each other in specific areas.

:) hope that helped lol

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By soduh2

Reed is kind of ADD with his inventions.

Thinkagain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Thinkagain

@X35 said:

because he doesn't have a movie out

Correct.

How very observant of you.

You just won the internet.

I'm serious.

madhattervx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By madhattervx

Why can't he be better? He can't even be as good. Why? Because he is the epitome of the boring, arsehole scientist and a complete douchebag.

Tony can be an ass, but he is at least cool, and a more interesting character. This guy is so uninteresting, and yet so irritating to me that he might as well be Spock from the original Star Trek, mixed with stretch arm-strong. I know I will get hate for this, but I really hate Reed. A lot.

CelticJedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you read Mark Millar's run for Fantastic Four? He makes an Anti-Galactus suit that one-shots a super security bot that took out most of the Marvel U's heroes, including Iron Man, only moments before. If Reed were to dedicate himself to designing weapons of war or suits of destruction I'm certain he could rival or maybe surpass Tony Stark, that just being my own opinion of what a driven Reed with a single purpose is capable of. However, as it stands, Reed has never been focused on fighting. That's not what he nor any other member of the FF has ever been about. The Thing likes his "Clobberin' Time!" but he's not the Hulk, Johnny is rash and near vigilante but even he keeps his cool more often than not, and Sue would leave Reed before she saw him retool his genius in order to build an armament of weapons.

Reed and the FF are, always have been, and I hope always will be, explorers and protectors. They have remained "true" to their origins from the 60's more than most characters in the Marvel U over the last few decades. They defend the earth from alien civilizations and intergalactic foes, they time travel, they take family vacations across the stars or to the future, or they deal with the machinations and scheming of Doctor Doom or another villain who happens to think they've got their backs turned. Iron Man has always seen his role as more of an active protector who believes a "strong offense is the best defense". So while Tony and Reed may be very near one another in terms of raw intellectual capability, with a slight edge in favor of Reed, the application of their intellects is what sets them apart. I like the Fantastic Four because they are a family with fun and dangerous adventures, not because I want them to be flying tanks.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nerx

@jhazzroucher: His character kinda went down after the 80's removed badassitude and confidence to sell out more 'hipper' characters. He had to be useless since he can solve all earth's problems in less than 30 minutes. Also able to bring earth into the future.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is better.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Mr.Fantastic isn't associated with Robert Downey Jr.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.