Follow

Moonstone

Publisher »

Moonstone Books is an American comic book company based in Chicago, Illinois. They claim to “publish fine and distinct comic books, graphic novels, prose…books that are meant to be read.”

Any thoughts on Moonstone’s “Wide-Vision” way of doing Books?

TerryMcC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By TerryMcC

Any thoughts on Moonstone’s “Wide-Vision” way of doing graphic novels?

It was introduced in 2006 and they’ve used it with a number of their Phantom productions, as well as their “Return of the Originals” such as The Spider, Domino Lady, and others.

Basically instead of being a familiar type comic with panels and word balloons Wide-Vision consists of a text novella above and below a wide strip of art that runs down the middle of the production. Sometimes there is a different piece of art on two facing pages, sometimes one runs across both pages. 

I’ve only seen one, The Battle of L.A., to me it was more like reading a short story with a lot of illustrations rather than a comic.

Interesting way of doing things.

kartron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 38

#2  Edited By kartron

So far I have looked at The Phantom Legacy and the Law and I felt it is a nice new kinda interpretation. The only undesirable thing would be lot less text and lettering. So the pictorial illustrations should be extraordinary. Art should be exceedingly impressive - only then such a wide vision books will be successful sell for publishers. Not sure how Moonstone got response for such books but as far as I can see they are not so much popular compared to our regular trade paperbacks/ hard covers. Probably artists like Alex Ross can make an awesome wide vision artist. He may make it far more successful with his photo-realism technique.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.