Who here actually likes Moonstone?

#1 Posted by Speedy92286 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously, it seems like both topics are full of Ms. Marvel fans lashing out. Not that I blame them, but still--flaming a character just because she got tossed into the role of Ms. Marvel is just messed up and wrong if you ask me. Just making a thread where we can talk about our love for Karla, and not brag(too much) about how she replaced Carol.

So, any Moonstone fans out there who want to talk about her? Yes, Ms. Marvel fans are welcome, too, as long as they can behave themselves.

#2 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Pixelized

#3 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

She has her moments.

#4 Posted by Bergquist (695 posts) - - Show Bio

me!?!?

#5 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Moonstone in the the first volume of Thunderbolts. She seemed to kinda take a few steps backward though when she lost her moonstones to Zemo and after that though. I think making her Ms. Marvel is interesting, the stone is Kree after all.

#6 Posted by Speedy92286 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, surprised this got responses so fast!

Yeah, I also think Moonstone has taken a few steps back from the old Thunderbolt series. When I compare her to the Faith in Monsters and Caged Angel's version, Karla comes off as more of a bitchy little whore than she should. Sure, she is still manipulative, but complains more than I would have expected. Luckily she is written better in Dark Avengers. At least from what I've seen.

#7 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

Moonstone is pretty cool, I like Songbird more though.

#8 Posted by Kastiel (8919 posts) - - Show Bio

I never liked Moonstone, she's too manipulative.

#9 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio

I've liked Moonstone since she kicked the crap out of Hulk back in Incredible Hulk 228. She's so awesomely manipulative and bitchy.

#10 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@Speedy92286 said:
" Wow, surprised this got responses so fast!Yeah, I also think Moonstone has taken a few steps back from the old Thunderbolt series. When I compare her to the Faith in Monsters and Caged Angel's version, Karla comes off as more of a bitchy little whore than she should. Sure, she is still manipulative, but complains more than I would have expected. Luckily she is written better in Dark Avengers. At least from what I've seen. "
you think she's written better in Dark Avengers than she was in thunderbolts?
#11 Posted by Shanana (52918 posts) - - Show Bio

Moonstone>Ms.Marvel

#12 Posted by Dupe (1581 posts) - - Show Bio

One moment more than the other, depends on the writing as well.

#13 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who thinks she's too manipulitive obviously doesn't understand that is her M.O.

#14 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18826 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she is cool, but not on my top faves..

#15 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sha said:
" Moonstone>Ms.Marvel "
I <3 U
#16 Posted by Editman (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Karla's back story over Ms.Marvel's but. I fell in love with Carol first.

#17 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

She's okay

#18 Posted by Speedy92286 (199 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
" @Speedy92286 said:
" Wow, surprised this got responses so fast!Yeah, I also think Moonstone has taken a few steps back from the old Thunderbolt series. When I compare her to the Faith in Monsters and Caged Angel's version, Karla comes off as more of a bitchy little whore than she should. Sure, she is still manipulative, but complains more than I would have expected. Luckily she is written better in Dark Avengers. At least from what I've seen. "
"
In Dark Avengers she actually DOES something. I know Karla is into manipulating and loves watching her puppets do work for her, but she does get her hands dirty in a fight. In Thunderbolts, well Ellis's run, all she did was blast Penance into a wall. In Dark Avengers, so far she has done more than bitch and complain, so hence better written.
#19 Posted by Captain Danvers (149 posts) - - Show Bio

She's ok.She's no Carol though.

#20 Posted by Omg chris (1607 posts) - - Show Bio

i do i think she's interesting

#21 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18826 posts) - - Show Bio

She's cool

#22 Edited by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@Speedy92286 said:
" @pixelized said:
" @Speedy92286 said:
"
In Dark Avengers she actually DOES something. I know Karla is into manipulating and loves watching her puppets do work for her, but she does get her hands dirty in a fight. In Thunderbolts, well Ellis's run, all she did was blast Penance into a wall. In Dark Avengers, so far she has done more than bitch and complain, so hence better written. "
Oh so you only read Ellis' run??? i see. i see.
#23 Posted by Lady Tlieso (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Karla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#24 Posted by Speedy92286 (199 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
" @Speedy92286 said:
" @pixelized said:
" @Speedy92286 said:
"
In Dark Avengers she actually DOES something. I know Karla is into manipulating and loves watching her puppets do work for her, but she does get her hands dirty in a fight. In Thunderbolts, well Ellis's run, all she did was blast Penance into a wall. In Dark Avengers, so far she has done more than bitch and complain, so hence better written. "
Oh so you only read Ellis' run??? i see. i see.
"
Actually, no. I loved her the most in the old series. I'm just saying in Ellis's run she did barely anything, but in Dark Avengers she kicks major ass. She is damn powerful, but no one really writes her that way. I know Karla rather have others fight for her, but when she actually does get into combat, she enjoys it. And when did she turn into a slut? That's the way she came off when Ellis wrote her and after reading the old series(read Ellis's first) I began to hate the characterization he used. Well, that's just my two cents on the matter.
#25 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

So,  you don't have a problem with her sleeping with Noh-Varr?

#26 Posted by Speedy92286 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually forgot about that. In that case, I think the writer from the old series should just take over. I am glad Karla is just getting more of a hands on role, but the whorish thing is just annoying. Makes a great character feel cheap if you ask me.

#27 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the characters is alright, Bendis isn't exactly the best writer for her, but that's a story against him not her. Although to me, it seems she is trying to be the hero type, unlike the other Dark Avengers, with the exception of Noh Varr. And them sleeping together, that really had no effect on me, its what she is known for she manipulates people and what better way to manipulate a young man. I did think it was funny how she was all chatty about being super villians afterwards. And people say men say the dumpest things after sex :)

#28 Posted by sora_thekey (8153 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her as MS. Marvel because she makes Dark Avenger look good....

Is that good enough explanation?

#29 Edited by tassa_kay (19 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Moonstone. She's my favorite character these days.  And now, with her in such an A-list role, it saddens me to see how badly she's being written. 

I used to balk at Ellis' handling of her, but I sort of disagree with people saying's moved backwards as a character.  Fresh out of her coma, the last thing she had done was flip out in a paranoid retaliatory episode on the Avengers and the Thunderbolts, so I totally agree with her pretty-much-a-villainess stance.  Not only that, but Norman is giving her exactly what she wants, without trying to "redeem" her.  Why wouldn't she be more of an evil bitch?  Why would she bother with subtle manipulations, really?  She has everything she ever wanted now.  And when she did conspire against Norman, well, he did threaten to remove her moonstone, and Karla doesn't respond well to being controlled.

Bendis and Reed, however, write her HORRIBLY.  She talks like an immature whore in Dark Avengers, and I don't mind her sleeping with Noh-Varr in theory, but there better be a damned good explanation for it... and I have zero faith in Bendis to provide one, because his dialogue for her alone proves he doesn't get her.  Reed, meanwhile, is writing her like a generic killer, and that's NEVER been Karla.  She's never once shown even a hint of enjoying the act of killing... she's killed when she has no other options.  Karla is a character that is defined by her complexities, and neither of these writers seems to understand that.

So much potential on the Dark Avengers team ALONE for Karla.  Matching wits with Daken, who has shown to be just as Machiavellian as she is.  Psychologically manipulating the Sentry, because he's so obviously someone she could really do some damage with (and to).  Allying with Venom and Bullseye, former Thunderbolt and cohorts-in-crime, to form her own power base on the team (again, a Karla trademark).  Messing with Ares' head, because she knows he's attracted to her and she is also aware that he's a god and therefore a possible asset to her.

Need I go on?

#30 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

I like you.

#31 Posted by tassa_kay (19 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a lot to like.  And I absolutely ADORE Karla Sofen.  Yep, definitely my favorite character these days.  Been following her for a loooooong time!

#32 Posted by Omg chris (1607 posts) - - Show Bio

i like moonstone more and more now loved the new issue cant wait for the battle of the marvels

#33 Posted by Citizen 14 (1236 posts) - - Show Bio

I really what she is doing in dark reign. I'm enjoying her and her confrontation with Rouge was pretty awesome.

#34 Posted by tassa_kay (19 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you kidding me?  Why would Moonstone, who is bulletproof, phase through falling glass shards?  Why would Rogue, who can't fly now, think that running away on foot from Moonstone could actually work?

Because Carey didn't care enough to write the scene properly.  It was pure Rogue fanservicing, and I dare anyone to prove me wrong.

#35 Posted by jeangreyemmafrost (125 posts) - - Show Bio

me

#36 Posted by Elixir95 (388 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a fan of both: their polar opposites.

#37 Posted by B'Town (2336 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't I love both?  I'm a big fan of Carols and Karla's.  I don't feel like I should have to choose one over the other. 

#38 Posted by pinchpaker29 (470 posts) - - Show Bio

She's cool I do think that she still has lots of potential stories to her. Plus she's HOT!

#39 Posted by dreamsmith (132 posts) - - Show Bio

Sexy, Naughty, Bitchy; what's not to like?

#40 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

classic Marvel villain.
more Karla for Catman always!

#41 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

She's aight.

#42 Posted by karrob (4278 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" She has her moments. "

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.