Follow

Moonstone

Character » Moonstone appears in 853 issues.

Dr. Karla Sofen is a founding member of the Thunderbolts and former member of the Masters of Evil. She has flirted with both sides of the law in Norman Osborn's Avengers as Ms. Marvel. She's a control freak with nearly limitless power granted her by moonstones, hence her codename.

What's Happened To Moonstone?

tassa_kay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tassa_kay

Have Bendis, Reed, Fraction, or (as of Legacy #226) Carey READ a comic with Moonstone in it in the last ten years?

Bendis has her removing her moonstone to show it to people, an act which would render her CATATONIC.  And I won't even dignify his expletive-laden dialogue and pointless promiscuity with Noh-Varr with a reasoned complaint.

Reed has YET to give her any personality, other than "I like to kill" (despite that never, EVER being a Karla trait), and now he's apparently decided that she has Carol's exact power-set, since she can now absorb energy.

Fraction... well, read his Utopia interview where he discussess her, Ares, and Noh-Varr.  It speaks for itself.

And now Carey makes her look stupid in a fight with Rogue.  Why exactly would she phase through a bunch of falling glass shards when she's bulletproof?  And why would she let Rogue get away, when Rogue fled on foot, when she can fly (according to Ms Marvel #39, I think) from Atlanta to New York City in less than five minutes?

Anyone else notice these little things that are just off?

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Chaos Agent

Consistency is a dying dynamic in comics

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By pixelized

Bendis and Fraction can't write and Reed has been with the current Ms. Marvel series since it began, so maybe he's having trouble letting go of Carol.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By sora_thekey
    @tassa_kay said:
    "

Have Bendis, Reed, Fraction, or (as of Legacy #226) Carey READ a comic with Moonstone in it in the last ten years?

Reed has YET to give her any personality, other than "I like to kill" (despite that never, EVER being a Karla trait), and now he's apparently decided that she has Carol's exact power-set, since she can now absorb energy.

Anyone else notice these little things that are just off?

"

Remeber she is on drugs given by Osborn... that could cause some changes in character....
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pixelized

When did the drugs happen?

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Chaos Agent
    @pixelized said:
    " Bendis and Fraction can't write and Reed has been with the current Ms. Marvel series since it began, so maybe he's having trouble letting go of Carol. "
    Fraction is a great writer
    tassa_kay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tassa_kay

Far as I know, they didn't.  We know that Venom is probably medicated (whatever Norman gave him to make the symbiote look more "normal"), and possibly Bullseye (and he notes in his own series that Norman is the one on the anti-psychotics, not him).  Medicating Moonstone to dumb her down THIS much would negate the purpose of him having her on his team to begin with.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pixelized
    @Chaos Agent said:
    " @pixelized said:
    " Bendis and Fraction can't write and Reed has been with the current Ms. Marvel series since it began, so maybe he's having trouble letting go of Carol. "
    Fraction is a great writer "
    not for the X-Men and Karla Sofen.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pixelized
    @tassa_kay said:
    " Far as I know, they didn't.  We know that Venom is probably medicated (whatever Norman gave him to make the symbiote look more "normal"), and possibly Bullseye (and he notes in his own series that Norman is the one on the anti-psychotics, not him).  Medicating Moonstone to dumb her down THIS much would negate the purpose of him having her on his team to begin with. "
    especially if she's to be the team's psychologist. 
    tassa_kay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tassa_kay

Karla could've had Noh-Varr in the palm of her hand, using him to build her own power base on the team (like she ALWAYS DOES ON EVERY TEAM SHE'S A PART OF).  But no, she sleeps with him for no reason at all, and then makes Norman look bad, so he leaves... making her a target for Norman's anger, which she would avoid at all costs.

Fraction actually describes her as Norman's lapdog, and says that she actually buys into all of his BS... and goes on to say that she has a psychological NEED to suck up and belong.  Is he ****ing kidding me with this crap?

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chaos Agent
    @pixelized said:
    " @Chaos Agent said:
    " @pixelized said:
    not for the X-Men and Karla Sofen. "
    point, then again when was the last time someone got any of those right? Moonstone was the onw thing I didn't like of Garth Ennis' Thunderbolts run
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pixelized
    @Chaos Agent said:
    " @pixelized said:
    " @Chaos Agent said:
    " @pixelized said:
    not for the X-Men and Karla Sofen. "
    point, then again when was the last time someone got any of those right? Moonstone was the onw thing I didn't like of Garth Ennis' Thunderbolts run "
    you didn't like her personality or you didn't like her?
    SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By SUNMAN
    @pixelized said:
    " When did the drugs happen? "
    Dark Avengers #1 I think or New Avengers #50 something
    tassa_kay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tassa_kay

I had my misgivings with Ellis' writing, but since coming out of her coma, he's actually done the best job of writing her accurately.

And if Norman really is having her medicated... that's retarded.  It would completely cancel out any advantage to having Karla on his team.  And she'd never agree to it.

And if she did agree to it? You damned well better believe she'd be doing everything she could to ruin Norman's day, and I ain't talking about sleeping with Noh-Varr, either.  She'd make beeline straight for the Sentry (SUCH an obvious target for an amoral psychiatrist!), and that's just for starters. 

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SUNMAN
    @tassa_kay said:
    "

I had my misgivings with Ellis' writing, but since coming out of her coma, he's actually done the best job of writing her accurately.

And if Norman really is having her medicated... that's retarded.  It would completely cancel out any advantage to having Karla on his team.  And she'd never agree to it.

"
    well all the Dark Avengers are required to take pills, (except maybe Noh-Varr) even Norman has pills to take (Goblin issues).

The ones who I know he probably need the pills since they are really more villain like are Karla, Bullseye, Venom, and Dakken. I know Sentry is taking pills I have no idea if Ares is or not.

I remember Ares slapped Bullseye cause he refused to take the pills and Bullseye freaked out on him. And Ares just looked at him and was like "if I had actually hit you than you'd be dead." lol

I feel like the pills probably haven't affected people that much aside from Osborn and Bullseye, because everyone is pretty much acting the way they were protrayed by Bendis, Fraction and Reed before being medicated.
    SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SUNMAN
    @SUNMAN said:
    " @pixelized said:
    " When did the drugs happen? "
    Dark Avengers #1 I think or New Avengers #50 something
    "
    Sorry I made a mistake it was actually Dark Avengers #5
    tassa_kay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tassa_kay

It doesn't say that all the Dark Avengers take pills.  Daken isn't mentioned as being medicated.  Neither is Ares (and I challenge you to find a pill that's gonna keep the friggin' GOD OF WAR narcotized).  Why would Karla be medicated?  She doesn't have any psychoses, just a sociopathic streak and a need to be in control.  Her flaws are actually what make her an effective middle-manager, a role she's played since her Master of Evil days, and medicating her negates her usefulness.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SUNMAN
    @tassa_kay said:
    " It doesn't say that all the Dark Avengers take pills.  Daken isn't mentioned as being medicated.  Neither is Ares (and I challenge you to find a pill that's gonna keep the friggin' GOD OF WAR narcotized).  Why would Karla be medicated?  She doesn't have any psychoses, just a sociopathic streak and a need to be in control.  Her flaws are actually what make her an effective middle-manager, a role she's played since her Master of Evil days, and medicating her negates her usefulness. "

No Caption Provided

tassa_kay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tassa_kay

And this proves that Bullseye is medicated.  Don't see Karla taking anything. Or Noh-Varr.  Or Daken.  Or Sentry.  Or Venom, for that matter!

And let's say for a moment that Karla is medicated.  What's the medication stopping her from doing, exactly?  She kills with abandon (MM#38, 39), leaves Avengers Towers without permission (MM#41), and plots against Norman (DA#6, 7).  Guess she's getting placebos, or chewable vitamins.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SUNMAN
    @tassa_kay said:
    "

And this proves that Bullseye is medicated.  Don't see Karla taking anything. Or Noh-Varr.  Or Daken.  Or Sentry.  Or Venom, for that matter!

And let's say for a moment that Karla is medicated.  What's the medication stopping her from doing, exactly?  She kills with abandon (MM#38, 39), leaves Avengers Towers without permission (MM#41), and plots against Norman (DA#6, 7).  Guess she's getting placebos, or chewable vitamins.

"
    Its implied in other parts of Dark Avengers if not directly stated. Karla also has to go see a psychiatrist and so does Bullseye. Gargan is definitely on Meds, and the symbiote was injected with something. Karla is on medication as well, and by medication don't think some hardcore drug.

I'm not sure about Dakken, pills probably would not affect him anyway. I doubt Ares takes pills or that they would have any effect. Sentry is so messed up right now I wouldn't be surprised, but it is really Normans talks that keep him under control

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pixelized
    @SUNMAN said:
    " @tassa_kay said:
    "

"
    Its implied in other parts of Dark Avengers if not directly stated. Karla also has to go see a psychiatrist and so does Bullseye. Gargan is definitely on Meds, and the symbiote was injected with something. Karla is on medication as well, and by medication don't think some hardcore drug.

I'm not sure about Dakken, pills probably would not affect him anyway. I doubt Ares takes pills or that they would have any effect. Sentry is so messed up right now I wouldn't be surprised, but it is really Normans talks that keep him under control

"
    there was no mentioning of Karla taking pills or seeing a Psychologist again after her first issue of Ms. Marvel
    tassa_kay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tassa_kay

It's not implied in any other part of Dark Avengers that Karla is medicated, nor any of the other Dark Avengers.  Karla had to see a psychiatrist ONCE, and look how that turned out.  Bullseye and Venom are murderers, and ENJOY killing, and to not medicate them would put Norman's plans at risk of exposure.  So why would he medicate someone who is (arguably) the sanest member of his team?  Giving her what she wants (power, without having to work hard for it) would do the trick a lot more effectively.

She doesn't have any condition that a psychiatrist would medicate her for, and Norman WANTS these people for their amoral, negative aspects... provided, of course, that he channels them where he wants them to go.  Medicating Karla would piss her off, and why would Norman do that to his second-in-command?  He knows she's a schemer, and he wouldn't intentionally antagonize her over someone so trivial and pointless.

It can't be justified, in any way, shape or form.

tassa_kay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tassa_kay

And the stupidity continues:

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=29433

... since when was Karla this naive and easily-manipulated?  What happened to the suspicious/borderline paranoid who never trusted ANYONE on her team (with the sole exception of Hawkeye)? 

Don't get me wrong; the idea of a Daken-Karla team-up (both on AND off the field) is a damned cool one, but why is Daken playing HER trademarked role on the Dark Avengers team, exactly?  Why is she continuing to be written so inconsistently (a foul-mouthed whore in DA, an evil Carol clone in Ms. Marvel, a lapdog in Utopia, and Daken's next bitch in DW)?

I really hope I'm not crazy in what I'm seeing here with all of this.

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Legacy_

I loved Karla in Thunderbolts but now she is an okay character for me no longer my FAVORITE Villain Manipulator...

Lifeguard85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Lifeguard85
    @pixelized: Ive been sort of disregarding Moonstone since the Dark Reign started lol. I wish she would get her own mini written by Ellis or something after this is all over. Just to give the fans of her character something actually worth while. Maybe even a one shot with someone who likes writing her and knows how to.

Also, has she always been depicted with enhanced strength and durability? I always thought it was more energy based powers for her, like shielding herself and using the energy to enhance her strength, but I didn't think she could go toe to toe with Carol. I mean, I always thought she was very versatile, but not uber in any one particular area.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.