Follow

Moon Knight

Character » Moon Knight appears in 1414 issues.

Moon Knight, Marc Spector, Steven Grant, and Jake Lockley: four different aspects of the same man who was resurrected by Khonshu (the Egyptian Lunar-God of Vengeance and Justice) to serve as his "avatar." Those unjust mortals who prey upon the innocents traveling at night, with powers that come from the moon, beware the Vengeance of the Moon Knight!

Why don't Moon Knight comics last long?

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Why don't Moon Knight comics last long? (38 votes)

He's not popular enough. 58%
    Marvel can't handle the character well. 42%

In the far 1975's August a new Marvel character was born. Straightly after this appearence (as the character aproved to be popular to readers) he had several solo spots and ended up with an ongoing series in 1980. But those didn't last for long: after #38(!) the issue was cancelled. After short-period incorporation in the Secret Avengers new series, the most long-term ones, were launched: Marc Spector: Moon Knight (what is pretty fun despite the fact that Spector has multiple idenities). But #60 was the last of it!

7 ears later, in 2006, Charlie Huston (soon replaced by Mike Benson) and David Finch took the character in his hands. Guess what? In 2009, MK is killed again with #30, only to be ressurected in 2010 with "The Vengeance of the Moon Knight" 10 issues-long title, and cancel again(!!).

Appart from some Shadowland and Secret Avengers appearences, Marc eats dust on Marvel's cabinet shelf till 2011: the long-awaited Bendis relaunch comes real! - - - deja vu - - - #12 wraps it up. AGAIN.

So then, what for this brief historical inquiry? Read the topics name again. "Why don't Moon Knight comics last long?" Maybe Marvel thinks that like that they make the character more significant? Or it's Moon Knight's curse: he always dies to live again? What do you think?

• 
    Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

So 160 solo issues? That's not bad compared to some other characters.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Marvel just can't seem to handle him well in on goings. I think he should stick to mini series since he works best on arc by arc basis

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But MK certanly deserves more.

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It sucks to see Moon Knight have limited success as he is one of my favorites. I just think he doesnt have the popularity to keep up with other monthlies on the Marvel roster.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sucks to see Moon Knight have limited success as he is one of my favorites. I just think he doesnt have the popularity to keep up with other monthlies on the Marvel roster.

And they won't get his popularity higher if they keep cancelling brilliant volumes!

Really, if Marvel thinks this is the solution, than they are wrong.

- Make him appear in animated series, and then launch a solo.

No Caption Provided

...but nope! They wrapted it up not even getting started! (D'oh!)

- Make him playable in videogames, and maybe, with time...

...all you get is a next-gen exclusive for MUA, meanwhile they had a great opportunity to add him to MVSC3 !

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Veshark

I still have yet to read the Moench stuff (I know, I'm ashamed too), but the start of Huston's run was great. It started to drop by the next arc, but I thought he and Finch really did a good job in establishing a new status quo and tone for the character. It helped that Huston was very knowledgeable on MK's history as well. But I think that 'The Bottom' really showed the potential for the character to have his own ongoing - he's carved out his own little niche as a religious zealot/brutal street-leveler in a dark world.

But most of his titles just seem to lose steam after a while. It's sad because I really like Moony, he's got a great visual look and is a very compelling character. Not only his multiple personalities and the Khonshu angle, but the fact that he's a hero because he just likes to hurt others, not because of an inherent goodness.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Sadly, he's just not popular enough. How do you make him popular? I wouldn't have a clue. The fact that Marvel keep giving him series means that they like him, it's just the general comic-reading population that don't.

And they won't get his popularity higher if they keep cancelling brilliant volumes!

That's not entirely fair to Marvel. They only cancel them because sales are low.

...all you get is a next-gen exclusive for MUA, meanwhile they had a great opportunity to add him to MVSC3 !

I don't think it works that way. From what I understand, the game developers say "we want these characters" and then Marvel/DC say "yay" or "nay".

@veshark said:

... the fact that he's a hero because he just likes to hurt others, not because of an inherent goodness.

That was only really in the 2006 run. Up until that point, he fought because he was acting as Khonshu's agent, and felt he was doing good to make amends for his villainous past as a mercenary.

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberwarrior: The "if you build it they will come" theory doesnt really work. If its not an Avengers or X title its not gonna sell well (just by simply creating it)

I do like the idea of him making cameos in animated series, and then possibly branching out into his own...

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danial79

Perhaps it's a deep-down type thing? I hope they explore that again, because it was a facet of Marc that was really interesting.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danial79 said:

Sadly, he's just not popular enough. How do you make him popular? I wouldn't have a clue. The fact that Marvel keep giving him series means that they like him, it's just the general comic-reading population that don't.

@cyberwarrior said:

That's not entirely fair to Marvel. They only cancel them because sales are low.

@cyberwarrior said:

I don't think it works that way. From what I understand, the game developers say "we want these characters" and then Marvel/DC say "yay" or "nay".

@veshark said:

... the fact that he's a hero because he just likes to hurt others, not because of an inherent goodness.

That was only really in the 2006 run. Up until that point, he fought because he was acting as Khonshu's agent, and felt he was doing good to make amends for his villainous past as a mercenary.

I completely agree.And you can also tell that they were really trying hard to make him popular in comics by having him and other popular characters appear in his comic and involving him in others.To be honest,he has the potential,and Marvel tries,it's just that since he isn't that popular not a lot of people read his books (and sometimes the issues are disliked,like Bendis' run.So the consensus is that it's bad).

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberwarrior: The "if you build it they will come" theory doesnt really work. If its not an Avengers or X title its not gonna sell well (just by simply creating it)

I do like the idea of him making cameos in animated series, and then possibly branching out into his own...

Sadly, he never appeared anywere. He was mentioned in Blade animated series tough...

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danial79 said:

@cyberwarrior said:

@cyberwarrior said:

Perhaps your right... Let's just hope that new, better handled series will come out as soon as possible.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I love this character a lot but I think a lot of writers take the whole crazy thing to far

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this character a lot but I think a lot of writers take the whole crazy thing to far

Agreed. Like a lot of people here, I think he needs to be written with a Crime Noir mentality, rather than an Avengers one.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danial79 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

Agreed. Like a lot of people here, I think he needs to be written with a Crime Noir mentality, rather than an Avengers one.

I think the same. The Vengeance of The Moon Knight title with less Khonsu appearances would be perfect.

ScrubbedOut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think the Bendis run was brilliant. It really took Moon Knight to a whole new level. It really set him apart from characters like Batman, Black Panther, etc

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DanialCarroll

I still think the Bendis run was brilliant. It really took Moon Knight to a whole new level. It really set him apart from characters like Batman, Black Panther, etc

And really added something that's never been part of the character before :P

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bystander

I have to admit: Bendis run had something. But as for me, I hate the idea that MK is weak and unknown so much, that I couldn't finish those 12 issues. I stoped somewhere at #9...

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@danial79: That's right danial. But you could say It developed from having a previous history with mental instability. It really never was that big of a leap to have MK take on those personalities. Sorry. I can however understand why you weren't happy with it as I wasn't either.

The Bendis/Maleev (so happy that I got 12 issues of MK done by Maleev) series was better than it is given credit for though. People just have certain feelings towards Bendis and in a way the series was doomed before it even began. In the end I just don't think he's popular enough to sustain a series and I really don't think he ever will be.

I'm dying to have a Moon Knight title back on the shelves again. Hopefully we get one with a good dark artist like Dennis Calero who did the art on Spider-Man Noir and with a writer who loves the character as much as MK's fans do.

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need to find the right creative team

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Bendis killed the character after the terrific Vengeance of the Moon Knight wasn't a popular draw.

Naturally, Marvel felt the answer was to ruin everything about the character and a few others in trademark Bendis fashion.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Bendis killed the character and the terrific Vengeance of the Moon Knight wasn't a popular draw.

Naturally, Marvel felt the answer was to ruin everything about the character and a few others in trademark Bendis fashion.

Loved Vengeance.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@irishx said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Bendis killed the character and the terrific Vengeance of the Moon Knight wasn't a popular draw.

Loved Vengeance.

Same. I wasn't the biggest Moon Knight fan, but that series really got me into the character. I read the first half of the previous run after that. Can't remember why I stopped.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Bendis killed the character after the terrific Vengeance of the Moon Knight wasn't a popular draw.

Agreed.Vengeance was awsome!

Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
    Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Well IDK for sure but I really tend to lean toward Marvel dropping the ball with the character more than an issue of popularity. Either way though it's a shame that Moon Knight can't stick around. Marc Spector is an interesting hero.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danial79 said:

This. However you could try an animated movie.

This.

But MK certanly deserves more.

Why?

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@queencorp15: I'd like to see Marvel hire Ales Kot to write it. Did a stellar job on a couple issues of Suicide Squad until DC decided to "part ways" for whatever reason.

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By QueenCorp15

@captainhoopla: kots is not that bad id like to see maybe jason aaron or maybe mark waid , or hickman

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dont know about popularity, he seems to be a cult favourite.

foolkiller1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What moon knight needs is a frank miller or warren Ellis. What was daredevil before frank miller? Warren Ellis wrote 6 issues of iron man and forever changed peoples perception of iron man (at least before the movie.) He needs a writer to completely change moon knight's entire world to make him stand out like frank miller did with daredevil.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foolkiller1: I loved Warren Ellis' portrayal of Moon Knight in Secret Avengers, so I'd be more than happy to see him write a Moon Knight series :)

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Because Batman exists. What? It's not like he's blind, gay, or a previous sidekick. ( + )

foolkiller1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danial79:

Same here. He can take characters he's unfamiliar with and make them appeal to a huge audience.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bystander

An animated movie. Make him one of the protagonists.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huston and Finch did an awesome job with him. I don't think it's that Marvel can't handle him. When he has good writers he is a great character. Bendis' run where he was having multiple personalities of wolverine, spiderman, and Cap was terrible. It was some of the worst garbage I've ever read. I should make that tried to read, I quit reading after the second issue I think.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#36  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Moon Knight like the Punisher is a character who works best solo in there own little corner of the universe, trying to ram Spider-Man or the Avengers in to every story waters the character down whitch usually ends up turning him in to "crazy Batman" the problem is readers refuse to read any character regardless how well the book is written if it does not involve the Avengers or the "bigger picture"

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moon Knight like the Punisher is a character who works best solo in there own little corner of the universe, trying to ram Spider-Man or the Avengers in to every story waters the character down whitch usually ends up turning him in to "crazy Batman" the problem is readers refuse to read any character regardless how well the book is written if it does not involve the Avengers or the "bigger picture"

Time-after-time appearences can be cool if handled correctly. However, in the oposite case, it can ruin the story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.