Moon Knight: Friends & Enemies

Posted by Danial79 (2326 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only known of Moon Knight for a few months, and already he's shot to #1 on my favourites list. Having recently finished reading the amazing Moon Knight (2006), I found myself wondering how this instantaneous fandom came to be. The more I thought about it, the more I came to realise that it wasn't so much Moon Knight himself that I find enticing, it's his whole "world"--his alter-egos, friends, and enemies. So as a kind of appreciation blog, I thought I'd do a quick run-though of them. Who knows, it might even serve as a kind of quick-start guide to anyone who is new to this guy we know as...
 

Moon Knight 

So who is Moon Knight? SImply: Marc Spector. An ex-Military guy... who died. Luckily, he was brought back to life by the Egyptian moon god, Khonshu. Unfortunately for Marc, however, there was a price for this reincarnation: Marc must kill badguys in Khonshu's name, and so became Moon Knight
 
Now to help him find out where all the city's crooks were hiding, Marc created two alter-egos to gather the intel. First of all, there's Jake Lockley: a lowly taxi driver who could find out all the city's goings-on from people who let slip from the back seat of his cab. Then there's Steven Grant: a high-class gentleman, who could find out the upper-class's dirty little secrets while at various functions and parties. Together, they had the whole class scale covered. 
 
But Marc doesn't work alone. Unlike most of the other heroes out there, Marc replies heavily on his friends, not only for intel and back-up, but also for much-needed emotional support... 
 

Friends and Allies 

Marlene 

Marlene Alraune 

Marc's on-again-off-again girlfriend has always been there for him... even during the off-again moments. 
 

Jean-Paul "Frenchie" Duchamp 

Once working together as mercenaries, the two became friends. Frenchie then went on to became Moon Knight's pilot, dropping him off where ever he was needed. 
 

Crawley

Crawley 
A homeless bum. But one who supplies Moon Knight with street intel and unending loyalty. 
 

Gena, Ray, and Ricky Landers

Gena and her two sons Ray and Ricky own a diner that Jake frequented. 
 

Rogues Gallery 

Werewolf by Night 

Werewolf by Night 

A man that turns into a werewolf every night, though the extent depends on the phase of the moon. 
 

Midnight Man 

An art thief who rather predictably struck at the hour of midnight. 
 

Midnight 

Midnight Man's son. Once a "wannabe" sidekick of Moon Knights, he was killed, only to be brought back... to become his enemy. 
 

Morpheus 

Randall Spector
Unable to sleep, his dreams build up until he is forced to unleash them upon other's minds. 
 

Randall Spector 

Marc's own brother. Once known as Hatchet Man, a nurse-killing serial killer, but is now another vessel of Khonshu, known as Shadow Knight. 
 

Black Spectre

Trying to imitate Moon Knight, Carson Knowles takes on the guise of Black Spectre, but quickly turns to evil. 
 

The Profile 

My personal favourite, The Profile is able to see other's traits and behaviours, literally reading them like a book. 
Bushman 
 

Bushman

Marc's old squad-mate, turned evil. 
 

Taskmaster 

Able to see any "task" and "master" it perfectly. 
 

Stained Glass Scarlet 

A foxy Nun with a crossbow. Despite her less-than-impressive name, she's actually pretty badass. 

Conclusion

So there you have Moon Knight's "world" in a nutshell. It's nothing you can't find yourself on his CV page, but I've simplified it for quick and easy reference... mostly for myself obviously :)
#1 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79:
Always happy to see another Moon Knight fan.  While I understand why you made this thread (a quick who's who in his world), I don't think it really needs to exist.  Like you said, all of this information is on his page.
Staff
#2 Edited by Danial79 (2326 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: Trust me, as someone who has only just discovered the guy, this info is not that easy to find. Sure there's a "Friends" and "Enemies" listing on this page, but not all of them are his... if you know what I mean :)
#3 Posted by ReverseNegative (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

What about Jean-Paul's partner? 

#4 Posted by Danial79 (2326 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReverseNegative: Rob? I guess I probably should have added him. Do you think they'll keep him around?
#5 Posted by ReverseNegative (2710 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79:
Don't know, he's lasted this long already.
#6 Posted by Danial79 (2326 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReverseNegative: Outside of the 2006 run though, he's only appeared in Vengeance #4...
#7 Posted by warcorpse (431 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you forgot stained glass scarlet, my personal moon knight villian

#8 Posted by Bearded Justice (732 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79:
how were you first introduced to MK?  Cause I'd attribute MK to me getting into comics in the first place.  When I bought Marvel Ultimate Alliance (and this would be for the 360, cause apparently hes not in the ps3 version?)  I was making my starting team, and I see this guy on the way end called Moon Knight.  So im like, alright this guy looks cool and I like the name, so I'll give him a try.  Turns out, he's one of the best characters in the game.  I don't know what the first comic i bought was, but I think Moon Knight was one of them, and I really dont even know why I bought it.  This was around his 06 series.  I must've read them, and loved them, because I know I started buying all the issues in that series.  I think I jumped on around 11 or 12.  He very quickly made it to my favorite comics character.  And that of course broke the wall and all the other comics I buy came flooding in. 
#9 Posted by Danial79 (2326 posts) - - Show Bio
@warcorpse said:
" I think you forgot stained glass scarlet, my personal moon knight villian "
Oh man, you're right! How did that happen? I'll add her now...
#10 Edited by Danial79 (2326 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bearded Justice said:

" @Danial79: how were you first introduced to MK? "

I'm pretty sure my first encounter with Moon Knight was in Jeff Loeb's Hulk series. For some reason he appears in Vegas to fight Hulk when there's a Wendigo outbreak:

As you mentioned, I just thought he looked so cool that I had to find out who he was and what he was about. So then I started reading the 2006 run on Marvel Digital Comics and the obsession went from there :)
#11 Edited by ReverseNegative (2710 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:

" @Bearded Justice said:

" @Danial79: how were you first introduced to MK? "

I'm pretty sure my first encounter with Moon Knight was in Jeff Loeb's Hulk series. For some reason he appears in Vegas to fight Hulk when there's a Wendigo outbreak:

As you mentioned, I just thought he looked so cool that I had to find out who he was and what he was about. So then I started reading the 2006 run on Marvel Digital Comics and the obsession went from there :) "
  I remember that comic. Was it during the Red Hulk story? I can't remember if it is, but I definitely remember seeing Moon Knight there.

@Bearded Justice said:

" @Danial79: how were you first introduced to MK?  Cause I'd attribute MK to me getting into comics in the first place.  When I bought Marvel Ultimate Alliance (and this would be for the 360, cause apparently hes not in the ps3 version?)  I was making my starting team, and I see this guy on the way end called Moon Knight.  So im like, alright this guy looks cool and I like the name, so I'll give him a try.  Turns out, he's one of the best characters in the game.  I don't know what the first comic i bought was, but I think Moon Knight was one of them, and I really dont even know why I bought it.  This was around his 06 series.  I must've read them, and loved them, because I know I started buying all the issues in that series.  I think I jumped on around 11 or 12.  He very quickly made it to my favorite comics character.  And that of course broke the wall and all the other comics I buy came flooding in.  "

That's actually how I learned about Moon Knight as well.
#12 Posted by Danial79 (2326 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReverseNegative said:
" @Danial79 said:

" @Bearded Justice said:

" @Danial79: how were you first introduced to MK? "

I'm pretty sure my first encounter with Moon Knight was in Jeff Loeb's Hulk series. For some reason he appears in Vegas to fight Hulk when there's a Wendigo outbreak:

As you mentioned, I just thought he looked so cool that I had to find out who he was and what he was about. So then I started reading the 2006 run on Marvel Digital Comics and the obsession went from there :) "
  I remember that comic. Was it during the Red Hulk story? I can't remember if it is, but I definitely remember seeing Moon Knight there. "
Yeah, it was. It was one of those split issues with regular Hulk in the first half and Red Hulk in the second bit...
#13 Posted by ReverseNegative (2710 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:
" @ReverseNegative said:
" @Danial79 said:

" @Bearded Justice said:

" @Danial79: how were you first introduced to MK? "

I'm pretty sure my first encounter with Moon Knight was in Jeff Loeb's Hulk series. For some reason he appears in Vegas to fight Hulk when there's a Wendigo outbreak:

As you mentioned, I just thought he looked so cool that I had to find out who he was and what he was about. So then I started reading the 2006 run on Marvel Digital Comics and the obsession went from there :) "
  I remember that comic. Was it during the Red Hulk story? I can't remember if it is, but I definitely remember seeing Moon Knight there. "
Yeah, it was. It was one of those split issues with regular Hulk in the first half and Red Hulk in the second bit... "
Thought so...
#14 Posted by G Bird (1277 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bearded Justice said:
" @Danial79: how were you first introduced to MK?  Cause I'd attribute MK to me getting into comics in the first place.  When I bought Marvel Ultimate Alliance (and this would be for the 360, cause apparently hes not in the ps3 version?)  I was making my starting team, and I see this guy on the way end called Moon Knight.  So im like, alright this guy looks cool and I like the name, so I'll give him a try.  Turns out, he's one of the best characters in the game.  I don't know what the first comic i bought was, but I think Moon Knight was one of them, and I really dont even know why I bought it.  This was around his 06 series.  I must've read them, and loved them, because I know I started buying all the issues in that series.  I think I jumped on around 11 or 12.  He very quickly made it to my favorite comics character.  And that of course broke the wall and all the other comics I buy came flooding in.  "
That's exactly the same way I was introduced to Moon Knight and comics too! I was selecting my team for MUA and thought this guy named Moon Knight looked cool so I picked him. After that game I started reading a couple comics here and there, and picked up the first volume of the MK 2006 run and bought every one after that! Now Moon Knight is my all-time favorite character and I buy every issue he appears in, and buy old back issues on ebay too.
#15 Posted by Danial79 (2326 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bearded Justice: @ReverseNegative: @G Bird: It's a shame he wasn't in MUA2...
#16 Posted by Bearded Justice (732 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:
" @Bearded Justice:  @ReverseNegative:  @G Bird: It's a shame he wasn't in MUA2... "

definitely
#17 Posted by G Bird (1277 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:
" @Bearded Justice: @ReverseNegative: @G Bird: It's a shame he wasn't in MUA2... "
Yeah I was pretty pissed about that, and no Ghost Rider either.
#18 Posted by Danial79 (2326 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bearded Justice: @G Bird: Just checked, and MUA came out in November 2006... Ringing any bells for anyone else? ;)
#19 Posted by ReverseNegative (2710 posts) - - Show Bio
@G Bird said:
" @Danial79 said:
" @Bearded Justice: @ReverseNegative: @G Bird: It's a shame he wasn't in MUA2... "
Yeah I was pretty pissed about that, and no Ghost Rider either. "
It's cause neither of them were directly involved in the Civil War. From the looks of things, MUA3 will probably be Secret Invasion, meaning no Moon Knight or Punisher again.
#20 Posted by G Bird (1277 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReverseNegative said:
" @G Bird said:
" @Danial79 said:
" @Bearded Justice: @ReverseNegative: @G Bird: It's a shame he wasn't in MUA2... "
Yeah I was pretty pissed about that, and no Ghost Rider either. "
It's cause neither of them were directly involved in the Civil War. From the looks of things, MUA3 will probably be Secret Invasion, meaning no Moon Knight or Punisher again. "
I hope you're wrong, Moon Knight is so frickin awesome he deserves to be in the MUA games! I'm not a big fan of Secret Invasion, hopefully that's not what MUA3 will be based on.
#21 Posted by ReverseNegative (2710 posts) - - Show Bio
@G Bird said:
" @ReverseNegative said:
" @G Bird said:
" @Danial79 said:
" @Bearded Justice: @ReverseNegative: @G Bird: It's a shame he wasn't in MUA2... "
Yeah I was pretty pissed about that, and no Ghost Rider either. "
It's cause neither of them were directly involved in the Civil War. From the looks of things, MUA3 will probably be Secret Invasion, meaning no Moon Knight or Punisher again. "
I hope you're wrong, Moon Knight is so frickin awesome he deserves to be in the MUA games! I'm not a big fan of Secret Invasion, hopefully that's not what MUA3 will be based on. "
I hope so, too. Moon Knight is alot more well known than Penance and Songbird, and they got thrown in MUA2 for some reason.
#22 Posted by G Bird (1277 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReverseNegative said:
" @G Bird said:
" @ReverseNegative said:
" @G Bird said:
" @Danial79 said:
" @Bearded Justice: @ReverseNegative: @G Bird: It's a shame he wasn't in MUA2... "
Yeah I was pretty pissed about that, and no Ghost Rider either. "
It's cause neither of them were directly involved in the Civil War. From the looks of things, MUA3 will probably be Secret Invasion, meaning no Moon Knight or Punisher again. "
I hope you're wrong, Moon Knight is so frickin awesome he deserves to be in the MUA games! I'm not a big fan of Secret Invasion, hopefully that's not what MUA3 will be based on. "
I hope so, too. Moon Knight is alot more well known than Penance and Songbird, and they got thrown in MUA2 for some reason. "
True, but Penance did have a part of the Civil War and was basically created because of it, that's why he's in there.
#23 Posted by Danial79 (2326 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReverseNegative: @G Bird: I don't think there is going to be a MUA3... There's no news of anything at the moment anyway...  
 
Besides, Secret Invasion is already 2 years old, so they'd be a bit stupid to use that as the basis for a future game :)
#24 Posted by G Bird (1277 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:
" @ReverseNegative: @G Bird: I don't think there is going to be a MUA3... There's no news of anything at the moment anyway...   Besides, Secret Invasion is already 2 years old, so they'd be a bit stupid to use that as the basis for a future game :) "
Both of the MUA games have been so successful that I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't make a third one. I think Shadowland could actually be a great basis for the third one... what do you think? At least we'd know Moon Knight would be in it for sure :)
#25 Posted by Danial79 (2326 posts) - - Show Bio
@G Bird: Isn't Shadowland just the street-level heroes? I agree that it'd make for a great game-base, but I think the MUA games need as many involved as possible. I think they should just do an original story instead. Was MUA1 based on a comic event? (I've only played #2)
#26 Posted by G Bird (1277 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:
" @G Bird: Isn't Shadowland just the street-level heroes? I agree that it'd make for a great game-base, but I think the MUA games need as many involved as possible. I think they should just do an original story instead. Was MUA1 based on a comic event? (I've only played #2) "
I'm not sure if MUA1 was based on an actual event or not, I wasn't into comic books back when I bought it. Yeah Shadowland is basically street levelers but there are a lot of characters in the arc so it could definitely fill out a character list. I agree though, an original story for MUA3 would be nice.
#27 Posted by Danial79 (2326 posts) - - Show Bio
@G Bird said:
" @Danial79 said:
" @G Bird: Isn't Shadowland just the street-level heroes? I agree that it'd make for a great game-base, but I think the MUA games need as many involved as possible. I think they should just do an original story instead. Was MUA1 based on a comic event? (I've only played #2) "
I'm not sure if MUA1 was based on an actual event or not, I wasn't into comic books back when I bought it. Yeah Shadowland is basically street levelers but there are a lot of characters in the arc so it could definitely fill out a character list. I agree though, an original story for MUA3 would be nice. "
I think Shadowland would make for a cool third-person game, like Batman: Arkham Asylum. Though it looks like the Captain America game will be doing that... and sucking at it
#28 Posted by G Bird (1277 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:
" @G Bird said:
" @Danial79 said:
" @G Bird: Isn't Shadowland just the street-level heroes? I agree that it'd make for a great game-base, but I think the MUA games need as many involved as possible. I think they should just do an original story instead. Was MUA1 based on a comic event? (I've only played #2) "
I'm not sure if MUA1 was based on an actual event or not, I wasn't into comic books back when I bought it. Yeah Shadowland is basically street levelers but there are a lot of characters in the arc so it could definitely fill out a character list. I agree though, an original story for MUA3 would be nice. "
I think Shadowland would make for a cool third-person game, like Batman: Arkham Asylum. Though it looks like the Captain America game will be doing that... and sucking at it "
Yeah either way, but as far as the Captain America game.... lol it doesn't look good!
#29 Posted by McJawsh (91 posts) - - Show Bio

Same thing happened to me!  I've always have been interested in the characters and stories of comics but never got into getting comic books.  Then I started using MK on MUA (and yes he is on the PS3 version) and that got me interested in his character.  And along with help from a couple friends now I'm really into comics.  I've also recently started to actually enjoy reading, lol.
#30 Posted by Bearded Justice (732 posts) - - Show Bio
@McJawsh said:
"Same thing happened to me!  I've always have been interested in the characters and stories of comics but never got into getting comic books.  Then I started using MK on MUA (and yes he is on the PS3 version) and that got me interested in his character.  And along with help from a couple friends now I'm really into comics.  I've also recently started to actually enjoy reading, lol. "

wow i love how we basically all discovered him from playing MUA!! 
oh cool i didnt know he was in the ps3 one
#31 Posted by ReverseNegative (2710 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bearded Justice said:
" @McJawsh said:
"Same thing happened to me!  I've always have been interested in the characters and stories of comics but never got into getting comic books.  Then I started using MK on MUA (and yes he is on the PS3 version) and that got me interested in his character.  And along with help from a couple friends now I'm really into comics.  I've also recently started to actually enjoy reading, lol. "
wow i love how we basically all discovered him from playing MUA!! oh cool i didnt know he was in the ps3 one "
This is exactly why Moon Knight should be in more games. He gained all of us as fans just cause we thought he looked cool.
#32 Posted by IrishX (2475 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised so many of you guys only recently became fans of MK and through a video game.
 
I first found out about him in 1990 when Marvel came out with their first series of trading cards.

#33 Posted by Danial79 (2326 posts) - - Show Bio

The power of video games... I hope Marvel are listening :)

#34 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReverseNegative said:
" What about Jean-Paul's boyfriend?  "
Fixed for the sake of being literal :P
#35 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

I got into Moon Knight becuase a friend of mine wouldn't shut up about how awesome he was, lol.

#36 Posted by G Bird (1277 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
" I got into Moon Knight becuase a friend of mine wouldn't shut up about how awesome he was, lol. "
That's how I get people into him too lol!
#37 Posted by McJawsh (91 posts) - - Show Bio
@IrishX said:
"

I'm surprised so many of you guys only recently became fans of MK and through a video game.
 
I first found out about him in 1990 when Marvel came out with their first series of trading cards.

"
Well he seemed familiar when I saw him in the game and then I became more interested after using him.  And I was born in 1991, so yeaaaah...lol
 
@InnerVenom123 said:
" I got into Moon Knight becuase a friend of mine wouldn't shut up about how awesome he was, lol. "

Basically how two of my best friends are into him now.  Especially one of them.  He didn't like him just cause and I wouldn't shut up about him and now he owns TPBs for the 2006 run that I don't have :( lol.
#38 Posted by JSH92 (417 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.