MK#12 - Last one, no more Bendis, no more of Maleev crappy art!!!

• 0 results
#1 Posted by jkeener71 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

I pray the next series is much better. And it really helps MK shine.

#2 Posted by Dreadmaster (16776 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol next series.....in probably 10 years.

#3 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

No more crappy Moon Knight!. Marvel should just let Moon Knight die. He's had three attempts at series in the last four/five years and each one has massively flopped.

#4 Posted by davelecave (1113 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the series.

#5 Posted by Danial79 (2207 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll be back. Even if Bendis' great finishing move is to kill him, he'll be back. He's die several times before.

#6 Posted by xlizen (106 posts) - - Show Bio

As crappy as this series is, I love that cover! As long as Moon Knight appears every now and then in other comics, that will hold me over until the new series. I just finished collecting all 60 issues of Marc Spector: Moon Knight so I'm gonna start reading those.

We really need a Moon Knight omnibus too!

#7 Posted by X35 (5974 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

No more crappy Moon Knight!. Marvel should just let Moon Knight die. He's had three attempts at series in the last four/five years and each one has massively flopped.

#8 Posted by Danial79 (2207 posts) - - Show Bio

@xlizen said:

I just finished collecting all 60 issues of Marc Spector: Moon Knight so I'm gonna start reading those.

I've been reading them recently (though I'm still missing the final 10) and I'm really enjoying it. Scarlet Redemption was a great arc, as are the team-ups with Spidey and Punisher. They should have included MK in the Omega Effect storyline... though that would have required him to be back in NYC :/

#9 Posted by jkeener71 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

MK will never die, we won't let him!!!!!

#10 Posted by ClutchWarfare (33 posts) - - Show Bio

You're a fool. You personally, and all the other whiners, are the ones who killed this run. Marvel puts their most successful and highest earning writer on a Moon Knight book that really wasn’t THAT bad and it can’t sell because idiots like you post nothing but the negative. “MK will never die, we won’t let him!” YOU JUST DID my friend, thanks. “No more Bendis, no more Maleev crappy art” Well No more Moon Knight, for a long long time, because if an Eisner Award winning duo can’t sell, who will? You just bit your nose to spite your face BIG TIME.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27403 posts) - - Show Bio

Meleev is a great artist, they people that don't like him are just to used to generic "super hero" art

#12 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (13903 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

Meleev is a great artist, they people that don't like him are just to used to generic "super hero" art

right? right? he is so underrated, I especially like because he gives a noir tone to books

#13 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@ClutchWarfare said:

You're a fool. You personally, and all the other whiners, are the ones who killed this run. Marvel puts their most successful and highest earning writer on a Moon Knight book that really wasn’t THAT bad and it can’t sell because idiots like you post nothing but the negative. “MK will never die, we won’t let him!” YOU JUST DID my friend, thanks. “No more Bendis, no more Maleev crappy art” Well No more Moon Knight, for a long long time, because if an Eisner Award winning duo can’t sell, who will? You just bit your nose to spite your face BIG TIME.

Love this post.

#14 Posted by Billy Batson (56944 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't know that people hated the art. I thought most loved it.
BB

#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

Didn't know that people hated the art. I thought most loved it.
BB

philistines 
#16 Posted by xlizen (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79 said:

@xlizen said:

I just finished collecting all 60 issues of Marc Spector: Moon Knight so I'm gonna start reading those.

I've been reading them recently (though I'm still missing the final 10) and I'm really enjoying it. Scarlet Redemption was a great arc, as are the team-ups with Spidey and Punisher. They should have included MK in the Omega Effect storyline... though that would have required him to be back in NYC :/

I am pretty sure I heard somewhere when the reboots of Daredevil, Punisher, and Moon Knight were announced that there would be an event that would bring the three of them together eventually (I heard it from a Greg Rucka interview and cannot find the link). Something tells me that the event was the Omega Effect and Moon Knight would have replaced Spider-Man since that would make more sense using the three newly rebooted street heroes, but sadly Moon Knight's tone did not fit in with the other three so that would not happen regardless.

I really am disappointed about this Moon Knight reboot because seeing how Daredevil (demon worship Shadowland crap turned him into a great hero again, better IMO then the Bendis run) and Punisher (Frankencastle to resembling Punisher Max in the Marvel Universe IMO) turned out and yet Bendis and Maleev could not create that atmosphere (Moon Knight went from Batman clone joining Secret Avengers to top three avengers in his episode with issues feeling like a tv series) and save my favorite, but soon to be forgotten character. So I leave you with Monkey Moon Knight.

#17 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
Great character, wrong company. If hes placed in DC it'll probably be written by Jeff Lemire and Scott Snyder and company. Seems like Marvel just cant keep an ongoing for a non xmen, avenger, ff or spider.
#18 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

Great character, wrong company. If hes placed in DC it'll probably be written by Jeff Lemire and Scott Snyder and company. Seems like Marvel just cant keep an ongoing for a non xmen, avenger, ff or spider.

You mean.... like Batman? That's a surprise.

#19 Posted by Danial79 (2207 posts) - - Show Bio

@ClutchWarfare said:

[...] it can’t sell because idiots like you post nothing but the negative.

Are you suggesting we should buy the book even if we aren't liking it? People always say, "vote with your wallet," and that's obviously what has happened. Just because Bendis has won an Eisner Award, that does not make him infallible, and this series fell flat the second Moon Knight started cosplaying as Avengers. It was just a poor idea, plain and simple, and that is why it didn't sell. If people--or as you call them, "idiots"--post negativity, there's obviously a reason for it. I wouldn't worry though, Moon Knight will be back. He's been around for 30 years now, and I know for a fact that there are fans of his within the Marvel ranks (including Dan Slott), so it's only a matter of time :)

#20 Posted by ClutchWarfare (33 posts) - - Show Bio

You did vote, congratulations on your victory. Moon Knight has been canceled and sent to the Marvel basement. You win... For more info on the next MK series be sure to check out his usage from 1994 to 2006. See y'all in the year 2024! "Idiots" was harsh, my bad. But If anyone doesnt see where Im coming from with the "bite your nose to spite your face" remark maybe they deserve the title.

#21 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@sethysquare said:

You mean.... like Batman? That's a surprise.

Batman belongs to DC just fine, if anything, the quality of the comics, animated series and movie proves it.

I doubt marvel could ever produce anything like BTAS. Its not a dig at marvel, just that Batman works so much better than DC.

#22 Posted by GiantsizeManThing (315 posts) - - Show Bio

Moon knight is a great character, he was successful once and he can be again. Bendis wasn't the right writer for moon knight, his blatant disregard for continuity, his terrible dialogue, and the $3.99 price tag didn't help sales AT ALL! Everyone remember captain america in the early 2000s? after his god awful heroes reborn was canceled, they tried marvel knights for captain america and it lasted just as long as Houston/Benson's run on moon knight give or take the annuals, after this book was canceled they gave him to Christopher Priest and it tanked hard. No one thought cap could hold his own ongoing, then, Ed Brubaker came along and knocked it out of the park. moon knight is in a similar situation. Warren Ellis wrote a fantastic moon knight in his six secret avengers one-in-done's. Give it to him and, maybe, Darick Robertson after he is done with the boys. NO character is incapable of success, if you think otherwise you're a goddamn fool.

#23 Posted by Danial79 (2207 posts) - - Show Bio

@GiantsizeManThing said:

Moon knight is a great character, he was successful once and he can be again. Bendis wasn't the right writer for moon knight, his blatant disregard for continuity, his terrible dialogue, and the $3.99 price tag didn't help sales AT ALL! [...] NO character is incapable of success.

This is true. Each writer has their own style, and Bendis' sitcom dialogue and penchant for mental illness just weren't right for the job. Moon Knight really needs a noir writer in my opinion. Huston and Finch got it right in 2006 (pretty much every Moon Knight fan agrees that The Bottom is his best arc) but then subsequent writers/artists failed to capture this same tone, and the series quickly went downhill. Vengeance of the Moon Knight tried turning him into a Batman/Iron-Man hybrid, and that didn't work either. I agree with GMT, in that, Warren Ellis has written the best Moon Knight since Huston. It's a shame that he hasn't appeared in Remender's run yet, because I'd be interested to see how he would handle him. As I said, MK has fans still at Marvel, so he will be back :)

Note: I asked Dan Slott on Formspring whether we would ever see a Moon Knight/Spider-Man team-up like in the Round Robin days and he replied:

Sure. Why not? I love Moon Knight! He's one of my favorites.
#24 Posted by daredevil21134 (9115 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

And Blade hasn't had one chance since 2006

#25 Posted by daredevil21134 (9115 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad Bendis is gone I hate what he did to Echo and Moon Knight.

#26 Posted by foolkiller1 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

@GiantsizeManThing said:

Moon knight is a great character, he was successful once and he can be again. Bendis wasn't the right writer for moon knight, his blatant disregard for continuity, his terrible dialogue, and the $3.99 price tag didn't help sales AT ALL! Everyone remember captain america in the early 2000s? after his god awful heroes reborn was canceled, they tried marvel knights for captain america and it lasted just as long as Houston/Benson's run on moon knight give or take the annuals, after this book was canceled they gave him to Christopher Priest and it tanked hard. No one thought cap could hold his own ongoing, then, Ed Brubaker came along and knocked it out of the park. moon knight is in a similar situation. Warren Ellis wrote a fantastic moon knight in his six secret avengers one-in-done's. Give it to him and, maybe, Darick Robertson after he is done with the boys. NO character is incapable of success, if you think otherwise you're a goddamn fool.

If anyone wants to respond to this you're gonna have to respond to me. Comic vine locked me out of my profile AGAIN!!!!!!

fu*ckers

#27 Posted by Danial79 (2207 posts) - - Show Bio

@foolkiller1 said:

@GiantsizeManThing said:

If anyone wants to respond to this you're gonna have to respond to me. Comic vine locked me out of my profile AGAIN!!!!!!

Why? What have you been up to? :)

#28 Posted by foolkiller1 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79: Well it's not like I said fuck or anything :)

Oh damn.

#29 Posted by DMC (1549 posts) - - Show Bio

Thought I haven't read any of the last MK series, I hope when he gets another solo, that they stick to his Egyptian roots, and his appearance should reflect that a bit more too.

#30 Posted by X35 (5974 posts) - - Show Bio

@ClutchWarfare: Your comments seem to overlook the one simple fact: Moon Knight fans didn't enjoy the series.

#31 Posted by feebadger (1337 posts) - - Show Bio

@ClutchWarfare said:

No comic book, in the history of comic books has ever sold poorly because of a comic book fans opinion. A good story is a good story. Good art is good art. If a book doesn't sell, then it's probably down to it not being very good (thought there are of course a MILLION exceptions to this, Moon Knight NOT being one of them, unfortunately). Bendis WAS a highly successful writer. Now he lives off the past, unfortunately. Moon Knight was just not great and it messed with a lot of established Moon Knight fans by being so different from the established character. Maleevs' art is an acquired taste and even those who were fans of his art were a bit taken aback by his work on this because it was a different approach for him. I think blaming people and their right to an opinion is, frankly, bizarre, unless you ARE Bendis! Your attitude is not taking into consideration the fact that YOU wish people to respect YOUR opinion, otherwise you wouldn't have posted your own opinion on the matter. Let the door swing both ways and let others have their opinions too.

#32 Posted by Daycrawler (550 posts) - - Show Bio

I've loved this series, though I can understand why long-term MK fans may not have been so keen if continuity has been thrown out the window. Personally loved Maleev's art and Buck Lime is an awesome character. Sure, it sucked to see Echo killed (loved her in New Avengers), but it gave the story an emotional weight. I liked the whole multiple Avengers persontalities thing too. Plus it was about time Marvel started a series that wasn't set in NYC.

#33 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

It was never going to last, despite Maleev's great art, Bendis had no love for the character and seemed intent on destroying MK with one of the worst gimmicks ever.  

Good riddance, and let's hope the next series fares better.

#34 Posted by Danial79 (2207 posts) - - Show Bio

Maleev's art does seem to be a contentious issue. Personally, I didn't hate it, but I also didn't love it either. As I've stated before, I'd much rather darker art, such as Finch or Crain, for MK's "world".

#35 Posted by jkeener71 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

@ClutchWarfare said:

We all have a right to our opinion. And I have bought every Moon Knight comic since it was created, including Werewolf by Night. I will ALWAYS support my favorite character. And as I have said many times in the past I cannot stand (HATE) the art of Maleev, and yes this is my opinion. Considering I HATE his art, and still buy the comic says alot in my mind. I just think/want Moon Knight to be better, and better writing (although I don't mind Bendis so much) is always welcome too. So you calling me a fool, I totally disagree with that, sorry.

#36 Edited by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how people blame Bendis for the failure of the book.Although it wasn't written well, let's face it, the masses don't give a sh#t about Moon Knight.Bendis has been writing Avengers poorly for 4-5 years and the book still sells at the top.

#37 Posted by Aiden Cross (15513 posts) - - Show Bio

Excusez moi? Maleev's art is great.

#38 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:

You would think that being someone who has previously written for Echo and was one of the best writers on the Daredevil series would take better care of the character.The way she died was terrible and she was so under-utilized between the time she appeared in that book and when she was an Avenger.
#39 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there's something wrong with your eyes...Maleev's art is absolutely amazing.

#40 Posted by daredevil21134 (9115 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@daredevil21134 said:

You would think that being someone who has previously written for Echo and was one of the best writers on the Daredevil series would take better care of the character.The way she died was terrible and she was so under-utilized between the time she appeared in that book and when she was an Avenger.

Word.

#41 Posted by daredevil21134 (9115 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

I love how people blame Bendis for the failure of the book.Although it wasn't written well, let's face it, the masses don't give a sh#t about Moon Knight.Bendis has been writing Avengers poorly for 4-5 years and the book still sells at the top.

LOL,but he was the one guy who was supposed to finally get him over

#42 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

I'm guessing its because MK fans weren't supporting the book. If the masses don't "give a sh!t about Moon Knight" then it seems to me its up to the Hardcore fans to read the books, and if those aren't getting the book then that means that the book has no one true fanbase.

#43 Posted by Dreadmaster (16776 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:

@ClutchWarfare said:

[...] it can’t sell because idiots like you post nothing but the negative.

Are you suggesting we should buy the book even if we aren't liking it? People always say, "vote with your wallet," and that's obviously what has happened. Just because Bendis has won an Eisner Award, that does not make him infallible, and this series fell flat the second Moon Knight started cosplaying as Avengers. It was just a poor idea, plain and simple, and that is why it didn't sell. If people--or as you call them, "idiots"--post negativity, there's obviously a reason for it. I wouldn't worry though, Moon Knight will be back. He's been around for 30 years now, and I know for a fact that there are fans of his within the Marvel ranks (including Dan Slott), so it's only a matter of time :)

This gave me hope. <3
#44 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

I'm guessing its because MK fans weren't supporting the book. If the masses don't "give a sh!t about Moon Knight" then it seems to me its up to the Hardcore fans to read the books, and if those aren't getting the book then that means that the book has no one true fanbase.

The point i'm making is that if they are fans of Moon Knight that means they were all reading the book at some point.There was a writer they liked on the book more than Bendis, YET it still got cancelled.When is it time to come to the realization that it's not the writers...it's the character?
#45 Posted by Dreadmaster (16776 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mercy_ said:

I think there's something wrong with your eyes...Maleev's art is absolutely amazing.

@Aiden Cross said:

Excusez moi? Maleev's art is great.

I hear this all the time. but to me his style is just not appealing to some. His fight scenes are hard to figure out as well.
#46 Posted by Dreadmaster (16776 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
@ReVamp said:

The point i'm making is that if they are fans of Moon Knight that means they were all reading the book at some point.There was a writer they liked on the book more than Bendis, YET it still got cancelled.When is it time to come to the realization that it's not the writers...it's the character?
What is your definition of successful?
#47 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@ReVamp said:

True, but that's not what I was debating. You were questioning why people were blaming Bendis for the cancellation of this series, and in essence they're doing it because Bendis screwed up the character in a major way (in the eyes of the fans) and fan support was lost far too easily. What happened in the previous series really doesn't change that. Would it mean that if Bendis weren't on the book that the series wouldn't be cancelled? No. It just means that Bendis had an impact on the book's cancellation.

#48 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

True, but that's not what I was debating. You were questioning why people were blaming Bendis for the cancellation of this series, and in essence they're doing it because Bendis screwed up the character in a major way (in the eyes of the fans) and fan support was lost far too easily. What happened in the previous series really doesn't change that. Would it mean that if Bendis weren't on the book that the series wouldn't be cancelled? No. It just means that Bendis had an impact on the book's cancellation.

I wasn't questioning it, I was flat out saying it was wrong.The characters lack of popularity is more the reason it was cancelled than anything.
#49 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@dreadmaster said:
What is your definition of successful?
In terms of what? 
#50 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@ReVamp said:

I wasn't questioning it, I was flat out saying it was wrong.The characters lack of popularity is more the reason it was cancelled than anything.

Is it? I'm not totally sure it is, Marvel doesn't seem to take risks, but Marvel's been giving MK a series in such a manner that he doesn't go for a year without one since 2006. The most he's gone without is for 6 months. I think that Marvel simply doesn't know where to take him creatively. They were going to take him into a new direction in Vengeance Of but that title's writing flopped like mad for the end of the run. Then they cancelled that and gave it to Bendis, who completely reinvented the character and arguably gave him bad writing again. I do see your point and I somewhat agree with it, but the fact is that Marvel's giving him chance after chance and that's got to be for some reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.