Follow

Moon Knight

Character » Moon Knight appears in 1412 issues.

Moon Knight, Marc Spector, Steven Grant, and Jake Lockley: four different aspects of the same man who was resurrected by Khonshu (the Egyptian Lunar-God of Vengeance and Justice) to serve as his "avatar." Those unjust mortals who prey upon the innocents traveling at night, with powers that come from the moon, beware the Vengeance of the Moon Knight!

Is moonknight underrated?

Vengance101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vengance101

He seems to be.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

Yeah I'd say so. But then again I was never the biggest MK fan so that's not saying much.

Avatar image for sensitivepsych0
    SensitivePsych0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SensitivePsych0

I would say yes, i barely know anything about him except that he is actually talented and that i never hear about the character.

Avatar image for yumyumbubblegum
    yumyumbubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By yumyumbubblegum

There's always a character that can do an aspect of what he does better. Plus his costume and equipment look very generic.

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By armylife1124

To his fans, not really, but not enough people seem to give him a chance...so outside of his fanboys(the few), yes...

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By DanialCarroll

Even though I'm obviously a fan, I'd still say yes, purely because he has had sooooooo many titles that Marvel themselves obviously believe he has value, even if the majority of readers don't.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Superguy0009e

he is like blue beetle, has a fan base of dedicated fans, but isnt as well known as others.

he does have pretty good treatment though, he is on the avengers team

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DanialCarroll

@Superguy0009e said:

... he is on the avengers team

Was, by the look of it. All the new info and pics on Secret Avengers are painfully absent of MK. Perhaps Remender isn't a fan.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By Hazlenaut

his TV appearances so far are Blade TV series and Ultimate Spiderman. Those two series are difficult to remember nor desired by anyone. He didn't made a big deal when he appeared. I didn't see any trailers of him

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

He's not underrated he's just not capable of anymore than he's done. He's never going to be as popular as other street level heroes and I don't think he was intended to be. He's B-List at best.Everyone can't be top tier.

Avatar image for giantsizemanthing
    GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course he has potential to be A list. All it take is the right talent (And that's NOT Brian Bendis) Who was daredevil before Frank Miller? Hell, who was Batman before Frank Miller? a lame Saturday morning cartoon? If Charlie Houston had stayed on for another 20-25 issues, we might have actually seen that moon knight TV show.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @GiantsizeManThing said:

Of course he has potential to be A list. All it take is the right talent (And that's NOT Brian Bendis) Who was daredevil before Frank Miller? Hell, who was Batman before Frank Miller? a lame Saturday morning cartoon? If Charlie Houston had stayed on for another 20-25 issues, we might have actually seen that moon knight TV show.

You think the quality of writing is going to change whether Moon Knight is popular or not? You know how many well written books have been completely disregarded in the last few years? It's not about writing in comics anymore. It's about exposure and importance. Bendis is writing most of the best selling comics at Marvel right now and pretty much all of them are mediocre.
    GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro: Quality writing has changed moon knight's popularity before with Charlie Houston's reboot in 2006. I do think it's too late for moon knight since print comics are slowly dying. Like I said, just potential. He's a LONG way from it now. Too Bad Marvel are a bunch of money grubbin SOBs.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @GiantsizeManThing said:

@Vance Astro: Quality writing has changed moon knight's popularity before with Charlie Houston's reboot in 2006. I do think it's too late for moon knight since print comics are slowly dying. Like I said, just potential. He's a LONG way from it now. Too Bad Marvel are a bunch of money grubbin SOBs.

I don't believe this is true. I think the starting of a new #1 peaked the interest of readers. If you look at the sales charts,Moon Knight's sales dropped drastically within 4 issues and Houston was still writing it. I don't think that book changed anything for his popularity. The fact that Ms.Marvel was selling more than him in '06 proves my previous statement. Marvel isn't about "writing". It's about importance and exposure. Which is also proven by the fact that Moon Knight's Civil War (Casualties of War) issues started in the beginning of 2007 and his sales rose back up and he in fact sold more in earlier 2007 than he had before.His book becomes important when tied into a major event.
    DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DanialCarroll

@Vance Astro: @GiantsizeManThing: I hate to admit it, but Vance is right. If you look at the sales for the most recent books, the only things to break the downward spiral are events and cover-cameos:

No Caption Provided

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I would say that Moon Knight isn't underrated.His sales have been lackluster for years and Marvel still refuses to give up on him. If people aren't reading the books, maybe it's because they just don't like them. I don't know how much more they could possibly do for the character without putting his importance above their A-list.Bendis isn't the greatest writer IMO but he does have a good track record of selling books. If the best selling writer on Marvel's payroll right now can't sell his book especially now when he's had all these tie-ins to events and he was a Secret Avenger..what else can they possibly do?

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DanialCarroll

I think what it comes down to is that people aren't really interested in non-powered heroes. Batman is the only high-selling exception I can think of.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PowerHerc

No, I think he's right where he should be.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Danial79 said:

I think what it comes down to is that people aren't really interested in non-powered heroes. Batman is the only high-selling exception I can think of.

I don't think that people aren't interested. I just think there is a huge difference in importance. Batman is way more valuable to DC than Moon Knight is to Marvel. DC is the only non-powered being that is as important to his company and comics universe as characters who DO have powers.People for some reason will read a book if they feel like it will be an important storyline. Look at all the events DC and Marvel are doing. People b#tch about them the entire time but they end up being the best selling thing on the shelves.
    GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Danial79: WOW, didn't know it dropped off that much. And to explain my previous post, the minor success the 2006 series had almost gave way to a TV show and appearance in video games. He was somewhat obscure before that. I was dead wrong. I was gonna make the same argument for the immortal iron fist, but I don't know the numbers for that series.

218Comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By 218Comics

First, I'll say that Moon Knight/Marc Spector is my all-time favorite comic character. I'm currently undertaking the task of collecting every Moon Knight appearance, ever. However, Moon Knight is not everyone's cup of tea. He's insane, but not hilarious like Deadpool, more of a subtle humor style. I understand why a lot of people don't like him, but there definitely is a cult following for this guy.

GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@218Comics: Same here, I see you favor ultimate moon knight?

218Comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 218Comics

@GiantsizeManThing said:

Yeah, Ultimate Moon Knight is just so sleek and cool. But, either way, Moon Knight is my fav,

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DanialCarroll

@218Comics said:

@GiantsizeManThing said:

Yeah, Ultimate Moon Knight is just so sleek and cool. But, either way, Moon Knight is my fav,

I prefer his appearances in Secret Avengers nowadays because I feel they are more true to the character, but from what I've seen/read, he won't be in Remender's run :(

GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Danial79: No he won't be in remenders run which sucks. Maybe they should bring back the west coast avengers :)

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DanialCarroll

@GiantsizeManThing said:

@Danial79: I was gonna make the same argument for the immortal iron fist, but I don't know the numbers for that series.

Immortal Iron Fist was selling around the mid-30s, about the same as the current Moon Knight series.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DanialCarroll

@GiantsizeManThing said:

@Danial79: No he won't be in remenders run which sucks. Maybe they should bring back the west coast avengers :)

Why not, there's already a ton of Avengers titles :)

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Danial79 said:

@GiantsizeManThing said:

That's basically what Avengers Academy has become, actually. (They moved West).

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DanialCarroll

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Danial79 said:

@GiantsizeManThing said:

That's basically what Avengers Academy has become, actually. (They moved West).

If he ever joins their team, let me know :)

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DanialCarroll

On a side-note, I just noticed I'm only 50 posts away from being Top Poster :P

218Comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By 218Comics

@Danial79 said:

@218Comics said:

@GiantsizeManThing said:

I prefer his appearances in Secret Avengers nowadays because I feel they are more true to the character, but from what I've seen/read, he won't be in Remender's run :(

Yeah, I also am enjoying his appearances in Secret Avengers (though the latest appearance came out of left field). I really wish he could be a permanent member of the Secret Avengers, not an in and out.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DanialCarroll
    @218Comics

First, I'll say that Moon Knight/Marc Spector is my all-time favorite comic character. I'm currently undertaking the task of collecting every Moon Knight appearance, ever. However, Moon Knight is not everyone's cup of tea. He's insane, but not hilarious like Deadpool, more of a subtle humor style. I understand why a lot of people don't like him, but there definitely is a cult following for this guy.

Have you got Round Robin? It's actually a Spider-Man arc, but it's all about MK and his ex-sidekick Jeff. I picked it up in trade not long ago and it's pretty damn fun :)
    Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Superguy0009e

@218Comics: well, i think he could really be used for the vigilante with gadgets (batman esque) type character, but i think people are just too afraid to expand on him,he is a cool hero, but no one is really taking any chances with him in the team books

218Comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By 218Comics

@Danial79 said:

@218Comics

Have you got Round Robin? It's actually a Spider-Man arc, but it's all about MK and his ex-sidekick Jeff. I picked it up in trade not long ago and it's pretty damn fun :)

Actually I have a friend mailing me those issues right now.

@Superguy0009e said:

@218Comics: well, i think he could really be used for the vigilante with gadgets (batman esque) type character, but i think people are just too afraid to expand on him,he is a cool hero, but no one is really taking any chances with him in the team books

Agreed... Moon Knight was a Batman rip-off to start, so why not use that creatively?

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DanialCarroll
    @218Comics I know I'll probably cop flack for this, but I think (old) Moon Knight is cooler than Batman. There, I said it :)
    218Comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By 218Comics

@Danial79 said:

@218Comics I know I'll probably cop flack for this, but I think (old) Moon Knight is cooler than Batman. There, I said it :)

Yeah, I could agree to that.

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: even though that seems a bit insulting, its the plain truth. Moon Knight is what he is; a B-list character

Zemoftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zemoftw

@vance_astro: dude you always hate on moon knight. Your opinion doesn't matter

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.