Is Moon Knight Marvel's Batman?

  • 80 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by danialcarroll79@gmail.com (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only recently started reading Moon Knight, and it quickly occurred to me how many similarities he has with Batman: 
 

  • He's ultra-rich 
  • He mostly plays at night  
  • He's a vigilante
  • He's a non-Super
  • He prefers melee weaponry and hand-thrown projectiles 
  • He has a variety of gadgets and vehicles 
  • He has a "cave" under his mansion!!
  • And he has a set theme to all of his paraphernalia (Crescent Darts/Batarang; Mooncopter/Batplane)
 
So, is he Marvel's answer to Batman?
#2 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7658 posts) - - Show Bio

To a degree there are many comparisons however Bruce doesn't seem as outwardly unstable as Spector but who really knows what goes though the mind of a man dressed as a giant bat.

#3 Posted by warcorpse (433 posts) - - Show Bio

There personality, crime fighting tactics, and origin are nothing alike. 

#4 Posted by conformist21 (413 posts) - - Show Bio

taskmaster has a cape,
he's obviously a rip-off superman

#5 Posted by the referee (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm with Danial79. I see many similarities, but all heroes are  somewhat a rip offs of another. It is hard to create a completely unique character. It is even harder with non powered ones. The origins may change or what ever but in the end it doesn't mater. it all goes to how they are written in their comics that change them.

#6 Posted by G Bird (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

There are similarities but no, I don't think he's "Marvel's Batman". And frankly, I'm sick of people saying this. There are many topics debating this, you should have just posted in there instead of making another one. BTW, Moon Knight's comics are a lot better than Grant Morrison's works that he passes on as Batman.

#7 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd call Black Panther Marvels Batman way before I'd mention Moon Knight.

#8 Posted by gambit987 (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

Original moon knight has powers and moon knight is crazy.

#9 Posted by DarthT0n3h (21 posts) - - Show Bio

When did batman rip anybody face off? Answer me that.

#10 Posted by saiyan_earthling (5432 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne said:
" I'd call Black Panther Marvels Batman way before I'd mention Moon Knight. "

#11 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@G Bird said:
" There are similarities but no, I don't think he's "Marvel's Batman". And frankly, I'm sick of people saying this. There are many topics debating this, you should have just posted in there instead of making another one. BTW, Moon Knight's comics are a lot better than Grant Morrison's works that he passes on as Batman. "
Same. They really shouldn't keep saying this.
#12 Edited by Danial79 (2345 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, I didn't mean to upset anyone, I was just making an observation... 
 
P.S. For you the people that are "sick of people saying this", you have to admit, there are a LOT of similarities :)

#13 Edited by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79:  You convinced me.
 
@G Bird: @ReverseNegative: I am sick of people getting upset on forums just because someones asks a question.  I don't know Danial79 but none of these forums are new.  Most have been a said a hundred times before.  Saying Moonknight is Marvel's Batman is only threatening if it is true.  The fact that it strikes a nerve means there is truth in it.  There are as many or more similarities to Moonknight as there is to Black Panther.  All that said Batman is based on Zorro.  You never hear a Batman fan say

"I don't think he's "DC Comics, Zorro". And frankly, I'm sick of people saying this."


To take elements of the character show how strong the elements are.  No one said "Moonknight is a carbon copy of Batman".  There are just similarities.  Look at Elongated Man, Plastic Man, and Mr. Fantastic.  No one gets upset when these characters are compared to each other.  For that matter look at DC Comics Flash, Marvel's, Quicksilver and Image's Velocity.  All of these charaters have traits in common and traits that make them unique yet they are all "speedsters."
#14 Posted by McJawsh (91 posts) - - Show Bio
@G Bird said:
" There are similarities but no, I don't think he's "Marvel's Batman". And frankly, I'm sick of people saying this. There are many topics debating this, you should have just posted in there instead of making another one. BTW, Moon Knight's comics are a lot better than Grant Morrison's works that he passes on as Batman. "
@DarthT0n3h said:
" When did batman rip anybody face off? Answer me that. "
I concur.
#15 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@DarthT0n3h said:
" When did batman rip anybody face off? Answer me that. "
Well, technically... 

#16 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReverseNegative said: 

@DarthT0n3h said: 

" When did batman rip anybody face off? Answer me that. "
Well, technically... 

"
And technically that did happen after Moon Knight carved off Bushman's. Lol.
 
I think whether people believe Moon Knight is Marvel's response to Batman or not [which I don't believe he is, there's differences vast enough to say he isn't], characters are usually meant to be enjoyed for what they are, not who they come off as, IMO. People are always going to compare people who wear a cape, dark colors, operates at night and has money to fund himself as a pastiche of Batman. 
 
I've even heard people compare Batman to the Green Hornet who predates Batman by 3 years. It's almost always the more established character that becomes the bar, and yes, there have been some homage in Moon Knight toward Batman. The biggest I can think of is his taking on a ward, which went terribly wrong. 
 
At a certain point it becomes "yeah, okay, you can notice similarities, that's great." But with those characters, especially Moon Knight, I can probably name just as many differences as you can name similarities.
#17 Posted by McJawsh (91 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Gunslinger6 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe beacuse I havent read much Moon Knight, always thought of Iron Man as Marvel's Batman: rich, no superpowers, faithful butler, gadgets,  problems with depression, women, second most important member of greatest super-team (after Cap in Avengers/ after Superman in Justice League).

#19 Posted by Craig Lovecraft (202 posts) - - Show Bio

I always saw Daredevil as Marvel's Batman. Obviously Bruce and Matt are completely different, but what their superhero personas represent seem similar to me. They both use the whole fear idea and (until recently, I guess) don't kill.

#20 Posted by toytul (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that daredevil is more like marvel's batman. Batman is a much more intellectual sort of hero unlike Moon Knight. Daredevil, as said before, represents fear as does Batman, and both seem to rely on their brains as much as brute force. All this being said, I don't believe there is any amount of plagiarism or anything of the sort coming into play here. Reading comics with the mindset of looking to accuse writers for lack of originality takes a lot of the enjoyment out.

#21 Posted by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio
@toytul:   I agree with you but I don't think anyone was implying that.  Good concepts work and they are used over and aver again.  Most heroes today have similarities to heroes long ago.  Take the cape for example.  There had to be a first.  Perhaps Zorro?  I don't know.  The point is every hero that came after the first is a copy.  That does not mean the characters plagiarized the original.
#22 Edited by Danial79 (2345 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously there are going to be differences. Marvel are not going to make a character called FlyingRodentMan or anything. All I was saying is that there are a LOT of similarities. So far, @Gunslinger6 is the only one who has listed a comparable list, with his Iron Man example...

#23 Posted by karrob (4279 posts) - - Show Bio
@warcorpse said:
" There personality, crime fighting tactics, and origin are nothing alike.  "
#24 Posted by Danial79 (2345 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:
" Obviously there are going to be differences."
#25 Posted by N7_Normandy (2430 posts) - - Show Bio

not in the slightest.  Moon knight has been, at times, completely unhinged.  He is very unstable and is not quite as collected as Batman.  We also have one who kills(Moon Knight), vs one who doesn't(Batman)

#26 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by McJawsh (91 posts) - - Show Bio

Me too! 

#28 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@toytul said:
"I agree that daredevil is more like marvel's batman. Batman is a much more intellectual sort of hero unlike Moon Knight. Daredevil, as said before, represents fear as does Batman, and both seem to rely on their brains as much as brute force. All this being said, I don't believe there is any amount of plagiarism or anything of the sort coming into play here. Reading comics with the mindset of looking to accuse writers for lack of originality takes a lot of the enjoyment out. "

Even so, Daredevil is still pretty damn different from Batman.
#29 Posted by Danial79 (2345 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReverseNegative: Me three!!
#30 Posted by warcorpse (433 posts) - - Show Bio

The shroud, exact same origin. 

#31 Edited by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@warcorpse said:

"The shroud, exact same origin.  "


Not the same. Since when the hell was Batman gifted by an Egyptian god?
#32 Posted by McJawsh (91 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReverseNegative said:
" @warcorpse said:

"The shroud, exact same origin.  "

Not the same. Since when the hell was Batman gifted by an Egyptian god? "
He said the Shroud has the exact same origin as Batman...
#33 Posted by jesusjoe (51 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always thought a lot of the Moon Knight stuff- particularly some of the more recent stuff- was a bit of a parody of Frank Miller's Batman stuff. Outrageously violent and gritty, with a no killing rule completely at odds with everything else he does? Can't say I;m a big reader of MK though, though I've always kind of wanted to be, so I could be way off the mark...

#34 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@McJawsh said:
" @ReverseNegative said:
" @warcorpse said:

"The shroud, exact same origin.  "

Not the same. Since when the hell was Batman gifted by an Egyptian god? "
He said the Shroud has the exact same origin as Batman... "
Ah.
#35 Posted by McJawsh (91 posts) - - Show Bio
@jesusjoe said:
" I've always thought a lot of the Moon Knight stuff- particularly some of the more recent stuff- was a bit of a parody of Frank Miller's Batman stuff. Outrageously violent and gritty, with a no killing rule completely at odds with everything else he does? Can't say I;m a big reader of MK though, though I've always kind of wanted to be, so I could be way off the mark... "
MK didn't have a no killing rule until Vengeance of the Moon Knight.  He's been murderin suckas since the 1970s.  
#36 Posted by jesusjoe (51 posts) - - Show Bio
@McJawsh said:
" @jesusjoe said:
" I've always thought a lot of the Moon Knight stuff- particularly some of the more recent stuff- was a bit of a parody of Frank Miller's Batman stuff. Outrageously violent and gritty, with a no killing rule completely at odds with everything else he does? Can't say I;m a big reader of MK though, though I've always kind of wanted to be, so I could be way off the mark... "
MK didn't have a no killing rule until Vengeance of the Moon Knight.  He's been murderin suckas since the 1970s.   "
Probably why there's so much disagreement over the topic then. I'd say over the past 5 years or so there's definitely been a bit of similarity, so all us recent jumper onners are confused...
#37 Edited by McJawsh (91 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah.  Well he killed a lot at the beginning of the 2006 run but I haven't read it completely so I don't know about towards the end of that run.  Vengeance didn't start up til the end of 2009. 
 
But I do agree that people who are recent "jumper onners" can get confused pretty easily.  I personally wish he starts killing again.  

#38 Posted by OmegaTheDestroyer (1009 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Iron Man, Nighthawk, Night Thrasher, and even The Punisher.
All of them can be technically called Marvel's Batman.

#39 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@OmegaTheDestroyer said:
"Black Panther, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Iron Man, Nighthawk, Night Thrasher, and even The Punisher.All of them can be technically called Marvel's Batman. "

I can only see Moon KNight and Daredevil, and that's by a longshot.
#40 Edited by Danial79 (2345 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReverseNegative: Black Panther has a similar-looking costume I guess... ; )
 
I'm still waiting for someone to post more than my 8 bullet-points to prove another character is worthy of the title : )
#41 Posted by Bearded Justice (751 posts) - - Show Bio


ha and Frenchie is MK's Alfred! 
oh my god!  how could i be so blind!  i'll never read MK again! 
 
nah just kidding.  While I don't really think he's Marvel's Batman, I will agree that there are a lot of similarities.  Frankly, I don't care. 
If Moon Knight is Marvel's Batman, then they've improved the character.

Actually, if anyone here reads both Moon Knight and Batman, I'm sure they'll back me up when I say the two are farther apart than closer together. 
I mean, it's not like I read Moon Knight and go "pffhhht they did that in last months Batman." or the other way around.

#42 Posted by Danial79 (2345 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bearded Justice: That is true. I was never implying the 2 were identical, I was just wanting to point out that Moon Knight is probably as close as Marvel come to the Dark Knight :)
#43 Edited by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:

" @Bearded Justice: That is true. I was never implying the 2 were identical, I was just wanting to point out that Moon Knight is probably as close as Marvel come to the Dark Knight :) "

Still, we Moon Knight fans hate it when people make that connection.
#44 Posted by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio
@McJawsh said:
"I'm pretty sure that's his mask, not his face.  The guy below Batman still has a face and if you look up Batman 697 it says he unmasks Black Mask on the actual cover.    http://www.comicvine.com/batman-life-after-death-part-6-liberator/37-200764/
 
 
 
"
Never really like that part of the comic lol. But MN is the many of Marvels Batman's like Wolverine Captain America Black Panther Daredevil and more
#45 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@GT-Man said:
" But MN is the many of Marvels Batman's like Wolverine Captain America Black Panther Daredevil and more "
Wait what? Unless you are talking about broad categories then I don't see this. In which case many others could then be added to the list from all companies.
#46 Posted by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne:
I'm just talking about Marvels universe 616 because if I where talking about other companies that would be long list VERY LONG list
#47 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne said:
" @GT-Man said:
" But MN is the many of Marvels Batman's like Wolverine Captain America Black Panther Daredevil and more "
Wait what? Unless you are talking about broad categories then I don't see this. In which case many others could then be added to the list from all companies. "
Yeah, Wolverine makes no sense.
#48 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@GT-Man said:
" @Andferne: I'm just talking about Marvels universe 616 because if I where talking about other companies that would be long list VERY LONG list "
Well that is all fine and dandy. But for each of the people you listed there are just as many if not MORE differences between them and Batman.
#49 Posted by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne:
I know that but a lott of them have similarities like batman
#50 Posted by Danial79 (2345 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReverseNegative I'm a Moon Knight fan myself, though only recently. I have no problem with the similarities myself as I think Moon Knight is a much cooler character :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.