Follow

Moon Knight

Character » Moon Knight appears in 1414 issues.

Moon Knight, Marc Spector, Steven Grant, and Jake Lockley: four different aspects of the same man who was resurrected by Khonshu (the Egyptian Lunar-God of Vengeance and Justice) to serve as his "avatar." Those unjust mortals who prey upon the innocents traveling at night, with powers that come from the moon, beware the Vengeance of the Moon Knight!

He's not a Batman rip off

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " Moon Knight and Bats have very little in common aside from their apparel.   For the record; MK > Azraels. "
    No..he's also insanely rich,all of his gadgets and weapons have his name in the prefix (Mooncopter=Batcopter), His butler\pilot is one of the main characters in his supporting cast (Frenchie\Alfred),His hideout is a cave that is connected to his mansion (like the Batcave).... 
    Harlekin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#202  Edited By Harlekin

OP must have daddy and mommy issues because when did being betrayed by some employer become worst then watching your parents murder in a dirty ally at such a young age? 

Funnest thing I ever read on ComicVine.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#203  Edited By DanialCarroll

I'm very much over this whole debate, but I just wanted to say, the only reason people know of any comic character's supporting cast is because of movies, of which Batman has had many, so I don't think that's a good indicator of... anything really.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#204  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @Danial79: 
    so its a crime to be famous now seriously,why do you think he got those movies in the first place?
    DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#205  Edited By DanialCarroll
    @entropy_aegis Um... I never said that :/
    minutemen_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#206  Edited By minutemen_64

@firestormnuclerman: how is batman a ripp off of the shadow when he is notthing like him ,he had mind control powers and was a spy ,the whole template for mary sue fighting cowl wearing stealth superheros orginated with batman ,bob kane didnt create batman and he stole art from the shadow ,so to cover his tracks he said he was bassed off of the shadow ,when really they are notting alike,the guy who created moon knight also work on batman comics and its obvious

Batman is bassed on the bat but thats a film not a comic book so it doesnt count

RamsTheNameCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By RamsTheNameCom

@harlekin: No, he's was just saying how over done that cliche' of the hero's parents or parent being murdered and their death must by avenged. Moon Knight's origin is much more refreshing than that.

RamsTheNameCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By RamsTheNameCom

@minutemen_64: Well the creator of Moon Knight only started writing for Batman after being fired from Marvel which was common at the time. Basically some idiot who run Marvel at the time wanted all of the writers to ill off every Superhero including Moon Knight and have a new person replacing them but keep their hero identities. He did not write Batman comics before or while creating and writing for Moon Knight. To prove he's not a rip off of Batman here's an exert from an interview with the creator of Moon Knight himself:

The Batman Comparisson

Does it really steam you guys that Moon Knight gets the label as the Marvel version of Batman?

MOENCH: You know, it’s a really odd thing for me because Batman has always been my favorite DC character. But on the other hand, you have to remember that the evolution of Moon Knight is odd. He started out as a villain in “Werewolf by Night.” Right there that dictates several things. If he’s going to be going up against a werewolf he’s gotta be a night character because if they’re going to fight it has to be at night. Right there, night character. Batman’s also a night character, but he was the furthest thing from my mind. What else do you connect to a werewolf? The moon. That spelled out the colors of the costume. Jet and silver. Black and white. All these other things that were focused only on werewolves and has nothing to do with Batman. Some people think of one other thing that Steven Grant is a millionaire and Bruce Wayne is a millionaire. Well don’t forget, Batman doesn’t have three separate identities like Moon Knight does and only one of them is a millionaire. Each one was selected for reasons other than thinking about Batman. The cab driver – I needed someone on the street who could pick up tips, find out what the underworld was up to. The mercenary – that gave him his background and his ability to do globetrotting adventure stories that I wanted to do time to time. And then who pays for all of this? A millionaire with a base to put his helicopter and all that other stuff. But I think the real connection was made when Bill Sienkiewicz took over the art. And Bill, don’t forget, was drawing exactly like Neal Adams who was associated with Batman. And you had actual swipes of Batman poses done by Neal Adams that Bill would throw into Moon Knight and on a subliminal level, it’s like well, this looks like Batman. But it was not meant to be Marvel’s answer to Batman.

Here's the link to the full article:

http://comicfoundry.com/?p=1461

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Well don’t forget, Batman doesn’t have three separate identities like Moon Knight does and only one of them is a millionaire. Each one was selected for reasons other than thinking about Batman. The cab driver – I needed someone on the street who could pick up tips, find out what the underworld was up to. The mercenary – that gave him his background and his ability to do globetrotting adventure stories that I wanted to do time to time.

Batman has had the Matches Malone alter ego since the early 70s, an alter ego he uses to pick up tips on the street.

RamsTheNameCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: Yes but Matches Malone was a gangster and Jake Lockley was a Taxi driver whose friends with a hobo nicknamed Crawley. Crawley would pretend to be a member of a mafia group in order to get info for Jake Lockley aka Marc Spector aka Moon Knight. Jake also has a friend who's a waitress who ease drops on costumer conversations in order to help Moon Knight. And of course Jake himself ease drops on Taxi passenger phone conversation and (before the invention of cell phones) would pay attention to where he was dropping off his suspicious passengers. Moon Knight is a werewolf and monster hunter first before he's gang fighting hero which is why he uses crescent Moon Darts all the time. Back in the 70's guns were not allowed in comics so the creator of Moon Knight scrapped the idea of Silver Bullet guns for Crescent Moon Darts. Going back, Batman rarely uses his Matches Malone persona and only uses it when he needs it. While Moon Knight has multiple personality disorder and always feels the need to go back into being Jake every night even if he doesn't need too.

minutemen_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramsthenamecom: why is he called moon KNIGHT than , why knight and not night , like the dark knight, why does he have a moonmobile or what ever it is , batman is a billionaire not a millionaire, just because the creator of moon knight says it's not a ripp off doesn't mean he's telling the truth

RamsTheNameCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minutemen_64: He's named Moon Knight because he's the Moon's Knight of Vengence and Moon Severnt or Moon Aprentice doesn't sound as cool. Moon Knight only has a themed helicopter because he was a trained pilot back in his mercenary days. It's called, "The Moon Chopter". Moon Knight didn't get his money from his dead parents, he got it from being a top notch mercenary and investing that money. He eventually creates Spector Corp which is an artifact and fine art dealing company. Moon Knight isn't filthy rich though and the comics explain sometimes how much debt he's going through in order to live a rich life style. Moon Knight's name "Marc Spector" came from a friend of Doug Moench who worked in a comic store in NY (he's also Jewish). Doug was inspired to combine Egyptian mythos with all their advanced techinalogy with werewolf bounty hunting and Jack Nicholson. Basically if Jack Nicholson was a superhero he'd be Moon Knight (yes I know he played the Joker but that was later). It was only when Doug Moench quit Marvel and was replace by different writers did Moon Knight start feeling like Batman. None of those writers enjoyed writing for Moon Knight and a few of them were ex Batman writers. It wasn't until 2006 when finally some writer actually cared about Moon Knight and the story match the character. So from 1989 - 2005 Moon Knight comics were pretty much generic which is why Moon Knight got cancelled sometime in the 90's for a little while (bad writers were making him more like Batman to appear to kids because Moon Knight isn't really kid friendly). So no, Moon Knight is not a ripoff of Batman (or at least when Doug Moench wrote for him and skip a few years to 2006).

Zemoftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many idiots here who don't know about moon knight. I see why this site is hated

Batfan345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hes kinda a ripoff like how

deadpool copied deatshtroke

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.