Follow

Moon Knight

Character » Moon Knight appears in 1414 issues.

Moon Knight, Marc Spector, Steven Grant, and Jake Lockley: four different aspects of the same man who was resurrected by Khonshu (the Egyptian Lunar-God of Vengeance and Justice) to serve as his "avatar." Those unjust mortals who prey upon the innocents traveling at night, with powers that come from the moon, beware the Vengeance of the Moon Knight!

Daily Dose: Batma -er- Moon Knight Reviewed!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

No Caption Provided

Batgirl #4

Written by: Bryan Q. Miller
    Art by: Lee Garbett

Perhaps it is her new suit that has been custom made for her, or maybe it has just taken four issues to do it, but it finally feels like Stephanie Brown is adjusting to being Batgirl. The story is set a week following the point which we saw her last and Miller seems to think that is enough time for clumsy Steph to suddenly be really good at fighting crime. Maybe it is just me, but I am having a difficult time believing that Stephanie could improve this much in such a short amount of time. Having said that, this is the best issue so far since the first one which I thought to be relatively good. My main problem is kind of a personal preference in that I feel less comfortable with a character like Barbara Gordon playing second fiddle to Stephanie Brown. There are some scenes where it feels as though Barbara works for Stephanie Brown rather than be her superior. I guess you can say it rubs me the wrong way. Another minor detail I came across was in Barbara's internal monologue where she infers that had it not been due in part to Dick's support after she became handicapped, she is unsure if she would have ever recovered. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe Dick was around to comfort Barbara at all in her time of need, but I digress. There is an interesting interaction between Wendy Harris 
    and Barbara and I am interested to see that relationship develop. 

3 out of 5

No Caption Provided

Vengeance Of The Moon Knight #3

Written by: Gregg Hurwitz
    Art by: Jerome Opena

If you are unfamiliar with the character (like I was) then this would be a good introduction to the character. First, the writing is good, consistent and flowed well throughout, and the art in the issue is really fantastic. The first few panels in the beginning of the issue where Hood is in a cemetery conjuring up the dead has some really fantastic art work. The writing is good, but I noticed a lot of similarities between Moon Knight's character and a certain "Dark Knight," if you know what I mean. While their individual background stories may differ considerably, there are some similar characters and key concepts that are so similar to characters and concepts in the Batman universe that I often found it difficult to overlook. Not only does the Scarecrow appear in this issue (and his costume is almost identical to the Scarecrow character in the Batman universe,) but they have to throw in an Asylum, too. 
     There is a fun scene, however, in the issue where Spider-Man complains about no longer being the center of attention, which I found to be relatively humorous. If you are looking to gain an understanding of Moon Knight's character, this would be a good book (and I presume, series) to start off with. Even though there does seem to be a lot going on, Hurwitz does a great job organizing everything in the story and writing Moon Knight a fantastic internal monologue that I felt not only drew from the character's history, but also gives the reader a clear indication of Moon Knight's present mind set. Aside from the fact that I still feel that reading Moon Knight is like reading Marvel's version of Batman, it is still a great book.

4 out of 5
    rouju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rouju

I just realize that most Batman family hair is non blond, which makes it weird 2 see Steph as new B-Girl.

Oh yeah, Dick wasn't around when Barbara was "recovering".

burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By burr787

I didn't get the same vibe that you got from Batgirl. I absolutely loved this issue but thought that Steph was as clumsy as ever. She would have smashed into the pavement if it wasn't for that tour bus, she talked about forgetting to use the grapple before, and she completely lucked out at the end. As for the teacher and student roles, I think Barbara has more of a 'you can't stop her, so the best you can do is contain her' attitude about Steph. She understands that Steph's going to improvise on every order, and is smart enough to use it in her advantage. Like in Batgirl #3 where Steph disobeyed the order to go home and Barbara ended up guiding her through the fight with Scarcrow anyway.

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By dane

A properly written Moon Knight has virtually no similarities to Batman except that they're street levellers. I know it feels like theres similarities, I felt a bit that way too when I first started reading Moon Knight but you come to realise he's nearly as far removed as you can be from the Caped Crusader. He's a rich, deep character and he's totally nuts half the time.

rouju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rouju
    @Dane said:
    " A properly written Moon Knight has virtually no similarities to Batman except that they're street levellers. I know it feels like theres similarities, I felt a bit that way too when I first started reading Moon Knight but you come to realise he's nearly as far removed as you can be from the Caped Crusader. He's a rich, deep character and he's totally nuts half the time. "
    Frank Miller's All Star Batman?
    dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dane
    @rouju said:
    " @Dane said:
    " A properly written Moon Knight has virtually no similarities to Batman except that they're street levellers. I know it feels like theres similarities, I felt a bit that way too when I first started reading Moon Knight but you come to realise he's nearly as far removed as you can be from the Caped Crusader. He's a rich, deep character and he's totally nuts half the time. "
    Frank Miller's All Star Batman? "
    Was created long after and still never reminded me of Moon Knight.
    spider2dfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spider2dfly

How come its not a video review?

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By FoxxFireArt

The sudden improvement of Stephanie does seem rather abrupt, but it is comic book logic. People get beat to all hell and somehow are unmarked by the next issue. I'm not sure the author had the time to really of shown much progression. There is often pressure on writers to get the story moving. Publishers I think worry about sales if comics move too slow. It's one of the reasons why I think more independent comics make for stronger stories.

That was a nice catch about the statement Barbra makes. It's annoying how writers will twist events that have such meanings. It seems like an odd time to have Barbra reflecting on that time in her life. It also seems twisted having the relationship she has with Stephanie to be more like the Alfred. If anything, I would expect things to be more along the lines of how it was done in the animated Batman Beyond series. How Bruce would pretty much supervise missions. It could make for some nice interactions. Having Barbra watching Stephanie's movements via some video feed as if she's on some sort of probationary period and needs to earn the right to really prove she can go solo.

I really don't know much at all about Moonknight. Thanks for the reviews though. I hope you don't mind me saying, but I think your writing has shown some real improvement as of late. I can't quite put my finger on how. Not as if you were a poor writer to begin with from where I stand. You know how when some people write, while technically accurate, it can feel sort of bland? More as if you are in some kind of lecture then a conversation. This feels much more casual. The personality comes through and I believe that makes for a better read.

Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Blindside002
    @burr787 said:
    "I didn't get the same vibe that you got from Batgirl. I absolutely loved this issue but thought that Steph was as clumsy as ever. She would have smashed into the pavement if it wasn't for that tour bus, she talked about forgetting to use the grapple before, and she completely lucked out at the end. As for the teacher and student roles, I think Barbara has more of a 'you can't stop her, so the best you can do is contain her' attitude about Steph. She understands that Steph's going to improvise on every order, and is smart enough to use it in her advantage. Like in Batgirl #3 where Steph disobeyed the order to go home and Barbara ended up guiding her through the fight with Scarcrow anyway. "

I pretty much agree with all that is said here.  

A question I have though, instead of meaning physically, do you think that Barbara meant if it wasn't because of Dick in the figurative sense? That maybe it was the idea of him that kept her going? That if it wasn't for her feelings for him that she was able to get through it?
    Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By They Killed Cap!

"The writing is good, but I noticed a lot of similarities between Moon Knight's character and a certain "Dark Knight," if you know what I mean. While their individual background stories may differ considerably, there are some similar characters and key concepts that are so similar to characters and concepts in the Batman universe that I often found it difficult to overlook. Not only does the Scarecrow appear in this issue (and his costume is almost identical to the Scarecrow character in the Batman universe,) but they have to throw in an Asylum, too." 

I have heard this complaint before...it seems to be kind of common.
    W@

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By W@

I've heard the Batman/Moon Knight complaints before.  To be honest, I think Moon Knight is a better character.  He's evolved much more then Batman ever has, especially between the 2006 run and this new Vengeance series.  The Scarecrow thing kinda weirded me out too, while I was reading it.  But they did such a good job with him that I forgave it.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#11  Edited By No_Name_
    @Blindside002: I don't think so. Dick  didn't come to see her and his actions caused a rift in their relationship, so I think this is an instance of the writer just making things up.
    Nyogtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Nyogtha

Like people have said Moonknight does have similarities but they really stop at the no powers vigilante with money. I mean his whole back story, Khonshu, his mental state always influx. Plus, does Batman rip peoples faces off to get them out of his mind? An does said victim follow him around as a delusional embodiment of his god, removed face and all?

Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Blindside002
    @Babs:
    Well that makes sense. Well atleast it was entertaining, and atleast he isn't the only one that has done it. :)
    dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dane
    @Babs said:
    " @Blindside002: I don't think so. Dick  didn't come to see her and his actions caused a rift in their relationship, so I think this is an instance of the writer just making things up. "
    It always sucks when a writer neglects to research the characters he's working on or fudges facts for his own storyline. Unfortunate, but on the whole I thought the book (at least for Stephanie) was going in a better direction.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By xerox_kitty

I can see where you're coming from with the Barbara & Stephanie relationship.  But in a series called 'Batgirl' she can't be in the spotlight anymore.  It's good that she's there to support the Batgirl legacy she's created... but it really does feel like it isn't enough Babs.

burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By burr787
    @Blindside002 said:
    " @burr787 said:
    "I didn't get the same vibe that you got from Batgirl. I absolutely loved this issue but thought that Steph was as clumsy as ever. She would have smashed into the pavement if it wasn't for that tour bus, she talked about forgetting to use the grapple before, and she completely lucked out at the end. As for the teacher and student roles, I think Barbara has more of a 'you can't stop her, so the best you can do is contain her' attitude about Steph. She understands that Steph's going to improvise on every order, and is smart enough to use it in her advantage. Like in Batgirl #3 where Steph disobeyed the order to go home and Barbara ended up guiding her through the fight with Scarcrow anyway. "
    I pretty much agree with all that is said here. 
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Media_Master

Moon Knight cut Bushman's (he he ) face off earlier so I guess he's back from the grave, wanting his face back.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Moon Knight and Batman are in no way similar besides using gadgets and having capes

Avatar image for bearded_justice
    Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Bearded Justice

I read a lot of Batman and Moon Knight, and yes, the similarities are there, but... MOON KNIGHT IS BETTER!  There I said it.  Good issue by the way.  I agree 4 of 5.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.