Follow

Moon Knight

Character » Moon Knight appears in 1414 issues.

Moon Knight, Marc Spector, Steven Grant, and Jake Lockley: four different aspects of the same man who was resurrected by Khonshu (the Egyptian Lunar-God of Vengeance and Justice) to serve as his "avatar." Those unjust mortals who prey upon the innocents traveling at night, with powers that come from the moon, beware the Vengeance of the Moon Knight!

Bendis to take away Moon Knight's "Avenger personalities"

• 53 results
    Avatar image for giantsizemanthing
    GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GiantsizeManThing
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    K4tz and InnerVenom can finally rejoice.
    Halle Romanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Halle Romanova

@Morpheus_ said:

Unless it's something even worse/more stupid. And this is Bendis, so that's highly likely.

xlizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xlizen

It also seems like this is series will only be 12 issues long:

"This big Count Nefaria tale is a 12-issue story that's pretty sturdily plotted and filled with stuff that I've never written before and I'm pretty excited about it," Bendis remarked. "Then we'll see how we feel and how Marvel feels at the end of that. Every time I mention this I sound like a braggy asshole, but I'm always being offered projects that anybody in the world would go, 'YES! PLEASE!' I can't do all of them, though. So we're for sure going to do a year of 'Moon Knight' and then we'll see how we feel when we get there. I haven't written issue #12 yet so I don't know where we'll be at after that. So we'll see."

Like I said, after these 12 issues Bendis will be bored with Moon Knight and abandon him. Sounds bittersweet, but fingers are crossed that a new creative team will take over from issue 13 and beyond.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By DanialCarroll

Now I'm just scared what he's replacing the Avengers with. If he needed permission to do it, it's obviously not just going back to Khonshu.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Danial79 said:

Now I'm just scared what he's replacing the Avengers with. If he needed permission to do it, it's obviously not just going back to Khonshu.

He's going to make moon Knight think he's Thanos and then get his hands on the IG and have him become a super powerful crazy person. Bendis is right about one thing though, he is an a$$hole.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By daredevil21134

@Danial79: So he might not even go past issue 12?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By ReVamp

Thank the lord, now I may read this title.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ReVamp said:

I'm not going near it till he's off
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ReVamp

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

I don't have a problem reading Bendis-titles when he's not creating crossovers or any bigger overarching plot. Fingers Crossed.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

I don't have a problem reading Bendis-titles when he's not creating crossovers or any bigger overarching plot. Fingers Crossed.

I can just Imagen the things he's got planed for him though as he had to ask permission, he's going to make Marc think he's Thor and some how he gets the Odinforce and turns evil or something 
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ReVamp

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

I can just Imagen the things he's got planed for him though as he had to ask permission, he's going to make Marc think he's Thor and some how he gets the Odinforce and turns evil or something

That sounds like Bendis for some reason.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

I can just Imagen the things he's got planed for him though as he had to ask permission, he's going to make Marc think he's Thor and some how he gets the Odinforce and turns evil or something

That sounds like Bendis for some reason.

I know, or something equally ridicules, as long as he writes the book I'll live in fear of him taking one one of his mad notions and wrecking the character even more.
    Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Daycrawler

The Moon Knight series has been excellent so far and the whole split personality thing with Wolvie/Spidey/Cap has been well written and fun to read. It could have been sooo bad, but it's been written fantastically well so far. Don't assume it's awful and criticize just cos it's Bendis. I'd recommend this title to anyone, even Bendis-haters.

I find it kinda funny when people suddenly hate a writer so much they assume everything they do will suck badger's testicles. Is kind of the exact polar opposite of the way Marvel puts some writers up on a pedestal of awesomeness when they are clearly good, but definitely not that great. Sure, Bendis has had some god-awful story arcs, but he's also had some amazing ones - Moon Knight being one of them. Same goes for Fraction - Fear Iteslf = sh!t, Iron Man / Defenders = Awesome. I'm always wary of people who say someone is 100% god-like, or 100% sh!t - generally they turn out to be idiots.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Daycrawler said:

The Moon Knight series has been excellent so far and the whole split personality thing with Wolvie/Spidey/Cap has been well written and fun to read. It could have been sooo bad, but it's been written fantastically well so far. Don't assume it's awful and criticize just cos it's Bendis. I'd recommend this title to anyone, even Bendis-haters.

I find it kinda funny when people suddenly hate a writer so much they assume everything they do will suck badger's testicles. Is kind of the exact polar opposite of the way Marvel puts some writers up on a pedestal of awesomeness when they are clearly good, but definitely not that great. Sure, Bendis has had some god-awful story arcs, but he's also had some amazing ones - Moon Knight being one of them. Same goes for Fraction - Fear Iteslf = sh!t, Iron Man / Defenders = Awesome. I'm always wary of people who say someone is 100% god-like, or 100% sh!t - generally they turn out to be idiots.

You been a Moon Knight fan long then?
    Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Daycrawler

@spiderbat87 said:

@Daycrawler said:

You been a Moon Knight fan long then?

Nope, just got into him through Secret Avengers really. You?

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DanialCarroll

@Daycrawler said:

I've read every issue of this new Moon Knight series, but only because it's Moon Knight. I actually liked Bendis before this and was excited to see him get Moon Knight, but as soon as I heard what he was doing with the character, I hated him for it, and the series has done nothing to change my mind of that. Being new to Moon Knight, you might think this cosplay thing is fun and well-written, but if you read any of his back issues, you'll see that it doesn't fit his character at all, which is why most of us dislike it.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By daredevil21134

@Danial79 said:

@Daycrawler said:

I've read every issue of this new Moon Knight series, but only because it's Moon Knight. I actually liked Bendis before this and was excited to see him get Moon Knight, but as soon as I heard what he was doing with the character, I hated him for it, and the series has done nothing to change my mind of that. Being new to Moon Knight, you might think this cosplay thing is fun and well-written, but if you read any of his back issues, you'll see that it doesn't fit his character at all, which is why most of us dislike it.

Well it might not go past 12

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DanialCarroll

@daredevil21134 said:

We can only hope :)

Also, I'm reeeeeaaaaaally hoping that the next person to pick up the character will forget about this current series, just like Bendis "forgot" about all the ones before him. I mean, besides the TV show, there hasn't even been a single reference to Khonshu! In the final issue, I'd like to see Khonshu return, slaughter Cap, Spidey, and Wolverine, turn to the reader, and quip, "I'm BACK!" :)

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Daycrawler

@Danial79: @Danial79 said:

@Daycrawler said:

Fair point. Guess I'm pretty new to the character and I'd probably be pissed off if someone did something similar to one of my favourite characters. I suppose Bendis was just trying for a new twist on Moon Knight? Will have to track down some older MK stories. Any suggestions on what to go for?

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DanialCarroll

@Daycrawler said:

Any suggestions on what to go for?

I think the Huston/Finch run is generally considered the best contemporary book. I also love Marc Spector: Moon Knight, but it hasn't been collected, so you'd have to scavenge eBay and such to find single issues.

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Daycrawler

@Danial79 said:

@Daycrawler said:

I think the Huston/Finch run is generally considered the best contemporary book. I also love Marc Spector: Moon Knight, but it hasn't been collected, so you'd have to scavenge eBay and such to find single issues.

Thanks for the info. Will hunt them down when I get a chance.

xlizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xlizen

@Daycrawler said:

I actually started reading Moon Knight with The Bottom trade. It's fairly cheap on Amazon and it gives you a gist of the modern day version of Moon Knight (darker, violent, Khonshu, etc). You will not be disappointed with The Bottom at all. The next trade, Midnight Sun could be considered hit or miss for some, but I also love it.

If you want to read classic Moon Knight, go for the Essential volumes. I read volume 1 on a plane ride and really got into the stories (they're in black and white though).

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DanialCarroll
    @xlizen I love the entire 2006 run. Yes, even Down South :)
    xlizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xlizen

@Danial79:I really enjoyed Down South just like you. It was a different style of Moon Knight and it seemed like a Punisher comic (ironic since he was in it). I would take the team (Mike Benson and Jefte Palo) from Down South doing Moon Knight right now versus Bendis and Maleev. It had so much more potential and I would have been okay if Marc (then Jake) stayed down there to battle crime below the border. The artwork did not really bother me either, except I wish the women looked less manly.

GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Danial79: @xlizen: this is the cover for moon knight #11. might as well post it here no point in making another thread for it.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Superguy0009e

@xlizen: Vengeance of the Moon Knight wasnt half bad either, i just warn you that with that and Hudson/Finch, he isnt really close to his original characterization, in Hudson/Finch, he becomes a whiny b####, and in VOTMK, the writing just sags a bit and some continuity is forgotten

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DanialCarroll

@Superguy0009e said:

@xlizen: In Hudson/Finch, he becomes a whiny b####.

Just because someone has depression from their life turning to crap does not make them a "whiny b#####". I'm saying this as someone who has been diagnosed with it, and I think Huston got it spot on.

xlizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xlizen

Here's the solicit to accompany the cover:

Moon Knight #11

Brian Michael Bendis (ruining a character) • Alex Maleev (meh art)

• Moon Knight Has Fallen Into The Abyss Of His Multiple Personalities!

• What Force On Earth Can Bring Him Back From The Brink? Enter: The Avengers!

• The Legendary Team Of Bendis And Maleev Bring You This Pinnacle Moment In The Life Of Marc Spector!

32 Pgs./Rated sad+ …$3.99 (too much for this)

jkeener71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jkeener71

@Danial79 said:

@daredevil21134 said:

We can only hope :)

Also, I'm reeeeeaaaaaally hoping that the next person to pick up the character will forget about this current series, just like Bendis "forgot" about all the ones before him. I mean, besides the TV show, there hasn't even been a single reference to Khonshu! In the final issue, I'd like to see Khonshu return, slaughter Cap, Spidey, and Wolverine, turn to the reader, and quip, "I'm BACK!" :)

TV Show? Did it ever come out or is that another pipe dream for MK fans???

GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkeener71: He means the T.V. show from the book. In the book, Marc Spector became a T.V. producer and started a show about his life as moon knight. One of the many retarded things Bendis did to the character.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Morpheus_ said:

How did I JUST find this? Ugh.

@Halle Romanova said:

@Morpheus_ said:

Unless it's something even worse/more stupid. And this is Bendis, so that's highly likely.

Sadly, this.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By daredevil21134

@GiantsizeManThing said:

@jkeener71: He means the T.V. show from the book. In the book, Marc Spector became a T.V. producer and started a show about his life as moon knight. One of the many retarded things Bendis did to the character.

lol

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Danial79 said:

@Superguy0009e said:

@xlizen: In Hudson/Finch, he becomes a whiny b####.

Just because someone has depression from their life turning to crap does not make them a "whiny b#####". I'm saying this as someone who has been diagnosed with it, and I think Huston got it spot on.

I don't get why some people think like that. Sure they're superheroes and to others they have to be tough but Houston was spot on with how a human being could react to such depressive surroundings.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Superguy0009e

@dreadmaster: that was the problem though, if moon knight was a character he made up for that series with a blank slate, then yes, it would have worked.

but in the older series they should that time and time again that Marc was a strong person. in this series, he does things he would have never done (ex: Hit marlene, after try to win her back with violence, not visit gena and her sons, an so on). the story was good, but the characterization of moon knight was completely off.

in short: good story, but a whiny violent schizophrenic is not moon knight (he does do those things, but in the end, he is always suppose to come out as a respected hero)

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Superguy0009e said:

@dreadmaster: that was the problem though, if moon knight was a character he made up for that series with a blank slate, then yes, it would have worked.

but in the older series they should that time and time again that Marc was a strong person. in this series, he does things he would have never done (ex: Hit marlene, after try to win her back with violence, not visit gena and her sons, an so on). the story was good, but the characterization of moon knight was completely off.

in short: good story, but a whiny violent schizophrenic is not moon knight (he does do those things, but in the end, he is always suppose to come out as a respected hero)

I demand a detailed explanation on how Moon Knight from that era could be considered whiny. Depressed, yes. Whiny, no.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Superguy0009e

@InnerVenom123: Well, it wasn't all the time, it was about as frequent as any average character (basically only a few times)

the major time i can think of is in issue 10, when after he save Samuels, he just whines and mopes and hides out in a park, but then finally comes to his senses

No Caption Provided
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Superguy0009e: My fault I thought you were talking about the 06 Moon Knight, NVM.

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Superguy0009e said:

Trust me i know how he was portrayed back in the Moench era but the difference is he loved having to put on the persona of Moon Knight and go around swashbuckling and fighting bad guys and he had morals of never wanting to kill. When Marc was forced to kill Bushman, it drove him over the edge and the depression kicked in when he could no longer fight crime or do anything that had meaning. Also he didn't seem much whiny too me, at the beginning of the series he seemed like he just didn't give a f### anymore. He only seemed whiny cuz he was trying hard to win his friends back after being such an asshole to them.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Superguy0009e

@InnerVenom123: no i was talking about 06, srry just read your comment wrong.

for me, the big whiny moment was the first arc after he broke his legs and was stuck in a wheel chair, as i said before, he's been paralyzed by the HUMAN FLY and gotten back up, but why is it takes him years to get up after beating Bushman. i get that killing him made him go nuts, but in order for that to be true, every single possible bad thing must occur. he has too good of friends and allies to go that bad. he did get up but it took him way too long.

No Caption Provided
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

*Silently prays for Brubaker or Warren Ellis to take over*

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Superguy0009e

@dreadmaster: well you do have a point that bushmans death did push him over the edge to do the violent actst, but my opinion on the matter is that he was just complaining about how his life had turned up. to me, (remember: " I can walk." *punch*....."Your friend is in the hospital, but you can walk so everything must be good"...trust me, he wasnt upset about loosing friends) i think he would have stayed in the chair for a month or so, but i dont really see how him killing bushman caused this downward spiral that caused him to loose his money, family and allies that have shown support for him in worser times

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Superguy0009e: There were other factors, forgive me if i'm slightly off since its been a while since i read that arc. When he broke his legs he feined believing in Khonshu's power anymore cuz, literally thought he forsaken him. You know of Marc's large dependance on Khonshu in much more than crime-fighting. People who are really religious and have seen a injustice done upon them tend to become very emotional and skeptical of their believes. I believe that played a significant factor in his downward spiral.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Superguy0009e
    No Caption Provided

@dreadmaster: (dont worry, it's been a while since i read as well). Khonshu abandoning him did have a lot to do with it, but i think that also stems from his life falling into shambles. remember that his life got better as khonshu came back. when he finally got everything back (marlene for a moment, frenchie was in his life etc) but later in the series as everyone dissipated again, he went back to being a sour puss. specifically, i'm talking about when he was blamed for the black spectre murders and everyone was his enemy and he went back to the wheel chair momentarily

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Superguy0009e: I don't truly consider that arc a Huston one, but you have a point. I'm just making the case that Huston did capture the essence of what a person, even a hero, would do in situations like that.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Superguy0009e

@dreadmaster: i'm not saying a hero can never get broken, it's just moons came back disfigured (seriously, putting on Bushmans face?)

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Superguy0009e: I don't think he ever wore the mask in the first two arcs. I think when Benson started adding his own take is when he started going crazy.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Superguy0009e

@dreadmaster: ya, that s!!! got weird near the end

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Night Thrasher

This Moon Knight series has been great so far. I'm kinda sad to see the "guest stars" go. :-(

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Superguy0009e

@Night Thrasher: dont worry, moon knight will still go on

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.