Follow

Mongul the Elder

Character » Mongul the Elder appears in 201 issues.

"Survival Through Strength", "Justice Through Might", "Let All Know This Truth". These are the words of the grand Marshal and tyrant of imperial infinite and Warworld's supreme commander, Lord Mongul. One of Superman's greatest adversaries. He also known for his robustness, brutality, cruelty and absolute ruthlessness to the enemies he encounters. He sired Mongul II, Mongal, and Jochi.

New-52 Mongul Respect Thread

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WarlordEternal

I noticed that a lot of people will use this version in battles, with really knowing what he can do or even the fact that he hasn't appeared in many books. So I will post what little there is.

1. Easily rips off an aliens head.

No Caption Provided

2. Superman mentions that nobody can take Mongul one-on-one, and compares his gripping strength to Darkseid. Mongul then tanks a powerful blow from a near bloodlusted Superman and appears soon after perfectly fine.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

3. Stalemates Superman in a brief skirmish.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

4. Battles Superman and a super powered Batman (batman is at superman's level).

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

5. Has a brief battle with Wonder Woman while wounded. (this page also heavily implies that he battled Doomsday)

No Caption Provided

That's all I've got. Hopefully he gets more attention in the near future and kicks some ass.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Bump. I like. Mongul and hope to see more of him.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@sog7dc said:

Bump. I like. Mongul and hope to see more of him.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SodamYat

Battles Sinestro and then gets distracted by Lyrra.

No Caption Provided

While he was distracted Sinestro made a construct inside Monguls body. Ultimately the fight gets broken up but Sinestro got the better of the mini skirmish.

No Caption Provided

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WarlordEternal

Still standing after the damage inflicted to his back, Mongul swoops in to take down Sinestro who is busy trying to fend off the Apex League.

No Caption Provided

Mongul then uses an ability that we haven't seen him use since the 80's.

No Caption Provided

I'm just gonna geek-out for a moment here...

HOLY SH*T N*GGA! HE'S GOT HIS F*CKING LASER EYES BACK! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! THAT'S F*CKING OLD SCHOOL RIGHT THERE!

Avatar image for deactivated-601b8b3765a01
    deactivated-601b8b3765a01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

What issues is Mongul vs Superman and Batman from?

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What issues is Mongul vs Superman and Batman from?

Batman-Superman 5-7.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gets impaled and still knocks Beka (new god) back
    Gets impaled and still knocks Beka (new god) back

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mongul is bad ass

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knocks back yellow lanterns and overwhelms Arkillo.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Battles New God Bekka, and those under her control.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wonder if we'll see him next issue

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mongul isn't impressive

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mongul isn't impressive

he was whooping superman and amped batman at the same time... he's not bad

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KingOfKings1

@sodamyat: cool .H'EL is more impressive than him IMO .

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: cool .H'EL is more impressive than him IMO .

well yea, but that doesnt take away from mongul at all.

Grievous88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Mongul, he's such an awesome character.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingofkings1: Didn't you say he was bad ass at first? Then you go on to saying he isn't impressive?

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bflynn316

These scans are sick, I hope he shows up in more comics soon

xXxcarzellxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xXxcarzellxXx

How'd Diana beat him I had no clue new 52 Mongol was still as strong as before

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WarlordEternal

After being cast out into space by the Sinestro in order to lure the Paling, Mongul has become indoctrinated and faces off against Black Adam who wields a yellow ring.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This blow took Adam out of the fight for about 6 pages, before he finally returned, being empowered by Saint Walker, who amped the yellow lanterns up to 200%.

darthdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WarlordEternal

Free from the Indoctrination of the Pailing, Mongul now continues to kick ass on his own terms.

Easily Dispatches Yellow Lanterns

No Caption Provided

Holds his own against the Manhunters

No Caption Provided

Realizing that facing the Corps now would be faulty, Mongul departs Warworld ( I don't know if this is a leap or if he can actually fly now.)

No Caption Provided

AAmongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I know i'm a little late but i'm a huge Mongul fan, and havent read the latest issue of Sinestro Corps he was in, last i saw he was controlled by the pailing, so after this he goes to warworld and escapes? If so I can see him coming back hopefully as a more serious antagonist to sinstro, maybe to the point of his amazing run as a villain in the Green Lantern Corps series right before blackest night. If he escapes with warworld theres still hope lol, but i just wanted to make sure what happens with him, (Also, am i the only one who is disappointed with his lack of appearances in the new 52 so far even after years of being established during villains month?)

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aamongul: Yes I too have been disappointment with his lack of appearances. Whats even more dissapointing the the the new Rebirth stuff seems to have done away with New-52 Mongul. what I mean by this is that his costume has changed and they seem to be ignoring everything that he's done recently. When the Trinity faces him, it's in the dream world of the Black Mercy, and there is no explanation as to how he got there.

gokuisking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WarlordEternal

@gokuisking: I cant remember the exact issue numbers. I'd have to go through my collections, but I can tell you that he made his debut in Green Lantern 23.2 for the villians month. He then showed up in Batman/Superman, and Sinestro.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45f2a1434a1
    deactivated-5d45f2a1434a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warlordeternal: Great Post, I still think that he is a better villain than Doomsday to Superman.

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spikespiegell: Me too. I used to really love Doomsday as villain, still do, but as I got older and understood what makes for good story telling, Doomsday really started to fall flat for me.

I'm a sucker for destructive monsters, But Doomsday has nothing else going for him. His whole purpose was to kill Superman, but in the end, Superman didn't really die. He is now nothing more than battle fodder.

The way Mongul is presented, He comes across as Superman's polar opposite, without being a pallet swap. Superman was raised by farmers, and was taught to be humble. He has all of this godlike power and yet wishes to be just like us. Mongul on the other hand was born into wealth and status. He comes from a long line of conquerors and is by far the most sadistic. Exhibiting signs of megalomania, He see's everyone, even his own children, as nothing but dirt.

This is the kind of enemy Superman needs. Someone with equal or greater power, incredibly high intellect and none of the moral ethics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45f2a1434a1
    deactivated-5d45f2a1434a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spikespiegell: Me too. I used to really love Doomsday as villain, still do, but as I got older and understood what makes for good story telling, Doomsday really started to fall flat for me.

I'm a sucker for destructive monsters, But Doomsday has nothing else going for him. His whole purpose was to kill Superman, but in the end, Superman didn't really die. He is now nothing more than battle fodder.

The way Mongul is presented, He comes across as Superman's polar opposite, without being a pallet swap. Superman was raised by farmers, and was taught to be humble. He has all of this godlike power and yet wishes to be just like us. Mongul on the other hand was born into wealth and status. He comes from a long line of conquerors and is by far the most sadistic. Exhibiting signs of megalomania, He see's everyone, even his own children, as nothing but dirt.

This is the kind of enemy Superman needs. Someone with equal or greater power, incredibly high intellect and none of the moral ethics.

Indeed, I like of Mongul 'cuz he's clever and not just a piece of brutal monster.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@warlordeternal: Nice analysis of Mongul's contrasts with Superman, really great stuff. Writing isn't my strong suit and I don't have a desire to work in the comic book industry but if I did, one of the characters I'd want to work in is Mongul to try and revitalise him as a nemesis of Superman. I'd try and take the Starlin baseline, add in a touch of a Roman Emperor for Warworld's alien gladiatorial combat and play up the superiority complex on Mongul. As for power, I'd make him an easy equal to Superman in strength and power at least, maybe superior like Starlin did if it weren't for the fact everyone gets to use Superman as a punching bag nowadays.

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Thanks. I'm actually trying to get into writing comics and novels myself. Its one of the reasons I haven't been as active on here as I use to be. One of the ideas I'd like to pitch is essentially an origin story for Mongul. When Mongul was first created, Superman was incredibly OP. This mattered to Mongul's character at the time as before Zod became cultural icon, or before Brainiac received the 1983 upgrade that turned him into a killing machine, and definitely before Doomsday was even a thought in Dan Jurgens’ mind, Mongul was laying the smackdown on the Man of Steel. Many readers where not use to seeing something like this happen at the time; however, as you've stated, Superman has become somewhat of a punching bag. Having someone beat up Superman is not new anymore. In order to stay relevant characters must evolve. Be it slightly or drastically.

The purpose of my story is to give some much needed depth to the character while still maintaining what made him popular to begin with. It would be very much based on Jim Starlin's Villains Month entry, elaborating on what was presented, while also inserting some of my own ideas. One thing in particular is motivation. Yes, Mongul is a cruel conqueror, but what sets him apart from other tyrants? In my story Mongul doesn't just want to rule the universe for the sake of ruling the universe and leaving it at that. This story would carry certain Lovecraftian themes of cosmic horror. As Mongul grows and leaves his home world, he would interact with things beyond mere comprehension. This paints him a picture of utter worthlessness. That in the grand scope of the universe, he is nothing. Mongul would refuse to believe this. He must prove that he is not some loathsome creature that would be lost and forgotten to time. In a way he does. I wanted to also give a reason as to why Mongul appears to be the only one of his kind with Kryptonian levels of power and none of the negative drawbacks.

I could go on about my ideas, but in the chance that DC likes my pitch and gives me a job, I don't want to spoil it all here. I'd like you to read it.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
    ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great respect thread.

@lvenger said:

Nice analysis of Mongul's contrasts with Superman, really great stuff. Writing isn't my strong suit and I don't have a desire to work in the comic book industry but if I did, one of the characters I'd want to work in is Mongul to try and revitalise him as a nemesis of Superman. I'd try and take the Starlin baseline, add in a touch of a Roman Emperor for Warworld's alien gladiatorial combat and play up the superiority complex on Mongul. As for power, I'd make him an easy equal to Superman in strength and power at least, maybe superior like Starlin did if it weren't for the fact everyone gets to use Superman as a punching bag nowadays.

Make sure to make him a casual planet buster :P

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Thanks. I'm actually trying to get into writing comics and novels myself. Its one of the reasons I haven't been as active on here as I use to be. One of the ideas I'd like to pitch is essentially an origin story for Mongul. When Mongul was first created, Superman was incredibly OP. This mattered to Mongul's character at the time as before Zod became cultural icon, or before Brainiac received the 1983 upgrade that turned him into a killing machine, and definitely before Doomsday was even a thought in Dan Jurgens’ mind, Mongul was laying the smackdown on the Man of Steel. Many readers where not use to seeing something like this happen at the time; however, as you've stated, Superman has become somewhat of a punching bag. Having someone beat up Superman is not new anymore. In order to stay relevant characters must evolve. Be it slightly or drastically.

The purpose of my story is to give some much needed depth to the character while still maintaining what made him popular to begin with. It would be very much based on Jim Starlin's Villains Month entry, elaborating on what was presented, while also inserting some of my own ideas. One thing in particular is motivation. Yes, Mongul is a cruel conqueror, but what sets him apart from other tyrants? In my story Mongul doesn't just want to rule the universe for the sake of ruling the universe and leaving it at that. This story would carry certain Lovecraftian themes of cosmic horror. As Mongul grows and leaves his home world, he would interact with things beyond mere comprehension. This paints him a picture of utter worthlessness. That in the grand scope of the universe, he is nothing. Mongul would refuse to believe this. He must prove that he is not some loathsome creature that would be lost and forgotten to time. In a way he does. I wanted to also give a reason as to why Mongul appears to be the only one of his kind with Kryptonian levels of power and none of the negative drawbacks.

I could go on about my ideas, but in the chance that DC likes my pitch and gives me a job, I don't want to spoil it all here. I'd like you to read it.

...Wow. Didn't know we had a genius here

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.