Follow

Molecule Man

Character » Molecule Man appears in 245 issues.

An immensely powerful and chronically insecure character, Owen Reece has the power to control all matter and energy. Although often cast as a misunderstood villain, he has also at times acted as a hero.

POST Retcon Molecule Man chronology

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Killemall

This is not a respect thread per say, but rather chronology of events and things that happened to Molecule Man. While this would list his feats performed as well, the focus is to show ALL important things that happened to Molecule Man, after his retcon so people can get a better measure of who he is and what his powers are like. I will only be talking about his 616 appearence and no mention of what if he has appeared, although only major appearence on him has been in What if X men Apocalypse where, after being mindcontrolled by his friend Nate, he dessolved Apolokolips , and opened a portal of space and time using eye of Aggamato.

I am not very good with words so i will let the bios and scans do the talking

NOTE: I am missing Molecule Man 2009 bio, if anyone has access to it, i implore you to help me out and post his bio that would be much appreciated.

Avengers 226: A weak injured Molecule Man, with help of Silver Surfer, and more importantly without straining himself, repairs earth, as well as many other damages caused by Beyonder and he even repairs his house for Volcana.

The whole incident is backed by Marvel Handbook 1986 as well as New Avengers Most Wanted Files 2005, put conveniently one after another.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Fantastic Four 318: Doom sneaks attack Molecule Man hoping to kill him (which he fails but thats comes next )

Fantastic Four 319: It is reveled as expected that Doom failed, and the reason was Molecule Man was too infinite even for Dr. Doom. More impressively Molecule Man easily opened a portal from Earth (616) all the way to Beyonder world which lies outside marvel multiverse accessible only via crossroads to infinity. Impressive that , and he managed to resurrect Volcana when she was melted by Shaper, although why he did not beat the hell out of Shaper for attacking his girl , no idea, plot perhaps.

Fantastic Four 319: Merges with Beyonder to form a cosmic cube

New Avengers Most Wanted Files 2005 substantiates the whole incident

No Caption Provided

Fantastic Four Annual 24: Molecule Man , after his powers have been absorbed into the cube, his conciouness gets rejected by the cube, he come back as a normal powerless human, however turns out he left a small portion of his power in Volcana. Volcana and MM are attacked by Klaw, MM gets back his powers but fails to defeat Klaw and manages to warp space and time to teleport Volcana and himself back to his house. This is also the point when Volcana breaks up with him.

A brief mention of this incident is found in New Avengers Secret Files 2005, although there is no meantion about his fight with Klaw, perhaps it wasnt deemed useful in regards to his character explanation.

No Caption Provided

Fantastic Four Annual 27: Angry and frustrated that Volcana left him, and blaming Beyonder for the loss, he allows his evil self take form who calls himself the true molecule man. The Evil self rips the Beyonder out of Kosmos (which is the cosmic cube that was formed when Beyonder and Molecule Man came together, and later gained sentience), fight and beats the Beyonder and in process causing a massive damange across space and time, on a "trans-multiversal" scale. Kubik later calms him down, but credit was given to the fact that Molecule Man saw there was love interest between Kubik and Kosmos, and he restores Kosmos. Kubik also says that destruction of Kosmos could cause imbalance in the multiverse.

Fantastic Four 372: Puppet Master manage to take control of Molecule Man and send him to fight Aron the Rogue Watcher

Fantastic Four 373: Aron manage to beat Molecule Man by encasing him in a bubble with no molecules

Incredible Hulk 442: Molecule Man meets Samson to ask for help, She Hulk enters, he gets a bit mad turns himself hulk like but calms down seeing how much She Hulk reminds him of Volcana. The advice he is given is: him and volcana are like 2 molecules and like molecules they should be drawn together. Molecule Man being hopeful creates statutes of Volcana, repairs all damage caused by a terrorist The Alliance, which was a world wide destruction. He also carves a picture of Volcana in Mount Rushmore, coz he knows chicks dig that stuffs :p

New Avengers Most Wanted Files back the instance

No Caption Provided

New Avengers 01: Among the bunch of prisioners Electro freed Molecule Man was one of them.

New Avengers Most Wanted file fill up few gaps, as we never seen Molecule Man captured on panel. Molecule Man was captured off panel, when he was apparently mentally unstable and his powers were manageable.

No Caption Provided

New Avengers 04: We again see Molecule Man as one of the escapees of the raft

She Hulk vol 1, 10: Molecule Man bring a group of villians to Earth alongside a city size rock, from Beyonder world is still canon to current Molecule Man

Dark Avengers 10: Molecule Man took control of a city, destroy everyone there and killed Sentry .

Dark Avengers 11: He beat all the Dark Avengers, messed up with Norman's mind, killed Sentry a second time and was being a boss. Although Beyonder, a person created by Molecule Man says he wanted to lose.

Dark Avengers 12: Well Sentry finally beats Molecule Man, and i , as always hate how Bendis ends his stories

Spiderman and Secret Wars 04: After Spiderman got a small portion of Beyonder's power , he beat a bunch of people, one of them was molecule man.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2  Edited By owie  Moderator
    @Killemall: Thanks for putting this together. 

You can see what I was talking about regarding his inconsistencies...having tough fights against, say, Aron or Klaw but also able to defeat Kosmos-Beyonder in a multiversal scale battle.  And focusing on the molecular-focus of his power in various situations, even though the whole point of the retcon was that he became more of a reality warper, a la a cosmic cube (although this reality warper aspect is also seen in the Kosmos fight).  The strange new split-personality dark side/good side addition to his character.  His unfortunate descent into total loserdom after he lost Marsha, but being more hard core against the Dark Avengers.

I was interested to see that handbook entry that gave at least a little insight into how he was captured and put on the Raft, which has always seemed like the most ridiculous thing to me.

Also good point about how the She-Hulk/Titania flashback makes the "flying back to Earth after Secret Wars" event still part of the canon.

The Spidey and the Secret Wars story is an all-ages comic and isn't part of the mainstream universe.

I don't know if Marvel: Eyes of the Camera is canon (I'm guessing not?) but it also re-presents the scene where MM fixes the Beyonder's hole in the Rocky Mountains.  Interesting to see that scene is also in the 2005 handbook.  I've never been a recent-handbook reader but they do seem to be helpful in untangling all this retcon-ology!

I know you aren't dealing with alternate versions, but I'd add that in the alternate future where Clyde Wyncham becomes the Marquis of Death, one of the villains whom he kills upon his awakening from a coma is the Molecule Man.
    Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Killemall

@Owie: Marvel Eye of The Camera is actually canon to marvel, but it normally doesnt have new stories only reference to old ones.

And thanks :)

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

cool topic

Karazyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Karazyn

@killemall: @owie: spiderman and secret wars 4 was non-canon right? so molecule there had no connection to the molecule, who died in dark avengers............. recently molecule man returned and i wonder if we will learn what exactly happened to him when he died in dark avengers

No Caption Provided

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By RealityWarper

@mezame: He wasn't killed by The Sentry.
    The Sentry told him that if he undid everything he would spare his life.
    He just BFRed him to another place.

"Listen to me, Owen... If you show me how to put everything back the way ot was... I will spare your life. You have the experience with this that I do not."

[...]

"Then go away."

No Caption Provided

In my opinion, the point of Bendis in this arc was to clarify the power level of the Sentry.
    What means being "the most powerful hero in the Marvel Universe" ?
    This !

And contrary to what people think it is The Sentry here and not the Void. The Black eyes are here to show negative emotions. If he was overcame by the Void persona he would just have killed him with some bad commentary.

That's why Molecule Man is alive now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.