Follow

M.O.D.O.K.

Character » M.O.D.O.K. appears in 683 issues.

M.O.D.O.K. is an acronym for Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing. He has a plethora of psychic powers, which he used to take control of A.I.M.

Why M.O.D.O.K should be taken seriously

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 0

Edited By MTHarman

What does make M.O.D.O.K a successful villain?

One thing that many modern day comic fans sadly overlook is the success that this freakish over-sized monstrousity of a villain is actually one of Marvel’s most successfull that climbed a few feet away from the likes of Dr Doom (Yes, by saying a bold and outlandish thing like that when talking about a villain like M.O.D.O.K, it’s sadly a fact if you agree or disagree). When looking upon M.O.D.O.K, it’s sad how I see a villain that catches my interest with what he did in the past instead of how I currently look upon him. Of course most say that M.O.D.O.K was a successful villain within the Fall of the Hulks storyline, but after reading a recent Comicvine article, I realized how many fans don’t see what Marvel had intended for this guy from the very start of his appearance within comics.

The complete opposite of being perfect, is something that Marvel wanted our beloved hero Steve Rogers to find himself going against. So we both can agree that M.O.D.O.K was perfectly designed to convince both readers and characters within the storyline that this new villain was the byproduct of something extremely abnormal. But what gave the final ingredient when defining this villain was how Marvel displayed him as a man who hated all life because of what he unwillingly became, and seeing this monstrous villain take it out on humanity and our most favorite heroes in so many attempted ways was what has me convinced that M.O.D.O.K isn’t the type of guy that anybody wouldn’t want to laugh at. From his horrible creation to the violent assassination within the hands of Death Adder, M.O.D.O.K was probably the first badguy who successfully gave a whole new outlook within the world of villainy that showed the audience a rare form of representation of one of the darkest human emotions within society. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, then think of all the people who were overwhelmed with jealousy and hatred because of how they could never be or look perfect, and the tragic results that naturally followed when finding him or her constantly being laughed at for something that isn’t their fault.

As a man who grew up studying the world of criminal and abnormal psychology, there’s a very dark part within the human mind of some social misfit or anybody who develops an intense hatred for humanity because of their current appearance that’s easily overlooked until it’s too late. So making a strong connection with our ugly fictional villain here with my personal outlook, you kinda see how this guy isn’t going have people look upon him as a sad joke once he’s finally back in the hands of somebody creative within Marvel.

It’s a sad fact that when I currently see M.O.D.O.K, I see the sad results of what Marvel fails to look at. From Elvis M.O.D.O.K's, Baby M.O.D.O.K, to Marvel's dumbass What The? show, we get to see the full extent of how creative most of the Marvel team really is. Of course many fans wouldn’t take M.O.D.O.K seriously, thanks to the beloved Marvel writers who can’t take the villain seriously.  
    So of course, laugh at the big headed sniviling snarly man, because it’s a waiting fact that this one villain is one step away from showing us exactly how pissed he is when taking it out on some poor soul or hero. And as a fan of villains, I can’t wait until I get the chance to read an issue like that and I also can’t wait for M.O.D.O.K’s return.    
    TenEyedMen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1  Edited By TenEyedMen

Great blog! While I've wanted MODOK to be taken more seriously, I never really thought about the imperfection angle for him. Nice job with that.

_Courage_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By _Courage_

Bravo.
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MTHarman
    @TenEyedMen said:
    "Great blog! While I've wanted MODOK to be taken more seriously, I never really thought about the imperfection angle for him. Nice job with that. "

Hey Thanks,  
    yeah as a DIE HARD fan of analyzing comic characters, that was something I found within MODOK that made him one of my favorite villains (which I have millions of favorites). Just a nice DC outlook for the bigheaded monster and we got ourselves a bonafied storyline of awesomness.
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Great write up. Hopefully, more will learn to respect MODOK. 

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MTHarman
    @jloneblackheart said:
    "Great write up. Hopefully, more will learn to respect MODOK.  "

Thanks alot,  

Hopefully I do to.
    Terrareus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Terrareus

Somehow MODOK manages to be both scary and funny.  I mean he's funny looking but his personality definitely isn't.

Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Matezoide2

awesome and agreed

i cant wait to play as MODOK on MvsC 3

BuddyBulson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By BuddyBulson

i agree, if the writers cant take certain things seriously no one ever will. great blog.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Hazlenaut

As of now there is meme that MODOK theme is great for trolling. Humor can work for him but the problem is what the reason for it. The goof ball clones is a question to be ask. Is it to show that he can play any role of villainy? Your right the dark part has not use much other than old Ironman cartoon.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By evilvegeta74

Hmmmmmmm! Ok!

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Hazlenaut

I think trying to be intimidating like dialeks from Dr who or Robotnik from either Sonic the Comic or Archie's Sonic. You may laugh at first impressions until you can see what they can do. The problem is we haven’t seen much to be intimidated lately. I like your video on him I hope revisit it at another time.

Avatar image for thegoddamnmasterchief
    TheGoddamnMasterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're so smart, then why do you seem to think that the M.O.D.O.K. acronym shouldn't end with a dot and that the plural of M.O.D.O.K. should have an apostrophe?

Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring back MODOK D:

Alastor0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

M.O.D.O.K. is an amazing villain, he should be respected more

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.