Follow

Mjolnir

Object » Mjolnir appears in 3589 issues.

Mjolnir (pronounced myawl-nir) is the enchanted hammer wielded by Thor. It was forged by the dwarf weaponsmiths Brokk and Eitri after a bet with Loki. The name means crusher or grinder.

Can characters more powerful than Odin...

virgin4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By virgin4life

... pick up Thor's hammer?

brantumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By brantumbo

do you mean that if they are more powerful they can overcome the enchantment? good question. in the Gods on Earth story arc where thor moved asgard to earth and became a king over all earth, he had lost the ability to wield mjolnir. he killed jake olsen and after that couldnt pick it up again. later in his life, his son Magni found it and was able to wield it, and challenged his father to show he was still worthy. thor, with the full power of the odinforce, so equal in power to odin, was able to levitate the hammer over to him, but before he was able to put his hands on it they were interrupted. later, thor sort of repented, and was once again worthy, but the writer left it open as to whether when he was levitating it to him he would have been able to lift it without the power of the OF. i personally think that at that particular moment he was still unworthy, but he could command it with his power. so if he was equal in power to odin, i believe that characters greater in power to odin would be able to wield mjolnir. maybe not wield, but if galactus put mjolnir in his hand i dont think it would come crashing to the ground.

virgin4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By virgin4life
    @brantumbo said:
    " do you mean that if they are more powerful they can overcome the enchantment? good question. in the Gods on Earth story arc where thor moved asgard to earth and became a king over all earth, he had lost the ability to wield mjolnir. he killed jake olsen and after that couldnt pick it up again. later in his life, his son Magni found it and was able to wield it, and challenged his father to show he was still worthy. thor, with the full power of the odinforce, so equal in power to odin, was able to levitate the hammer over to him, but before he was able to put his hands on it they were interrupted. later, thor sort of repented, and was once again worthy, but the writer left it open as to whether when he was levitating it to him he would have been able to lift it without the power of the OF. i personally think that at that particular moment he was still unworthy, but he could command it with his power. so if he was equal in power to odin, i believe that characters greater in power to odin would be able to wield mjolnir. maybe not wield, but if galactus put mjolnir in his hand i dont think it would come crashing to the ground. "
    damn homey.. thats some real talk................. how could dudes enchantment overpower people stronger htan him
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By PowerHerc

Theoretically I guess it's possible.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @virgin4life:  Skill and wisdom, knowledge etc. Similar to how I can tie a knot, that someone else can undo, but more intricate and complicated knots I know, won't be able to be as easily undone, by someone smarter or better at undoing knots than me, if, they lack the necessary knowledge of the knot I just tied.  

You can apply it in a few different scenarios (as in it doesn't always work that way), but in this specific case it seems to hold true.  

Of course you get to characters a certain level of power higher and your odds get better. 
    darth_fletcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By darth_fletcher

he lost the ability cause he was no longer worthy, so i dont think its about power, i think its about being selfless and willingness to help others who cant help themselves which is why steve rogers has been able to lift it !!!

Leliel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Leliel
    @SC:  True your analogy hold for about everything it makes me wonder if a cosmic being like Galactus can impose his laws upon the hammer
    MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

no if they are unworthy

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kgb725

Yes because you can't say someone like the LT wouldn't be able to lift it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.