Follow

Mitch Breitweiser

Person » Mitch Breitweiser is credited in 120 issues.

Mitchell is a comic book artist, storyteller and Illustrator.

Marvel Artist Mitch Breitweiser Gives Comic Vine An Exclusive Look At His New Web Comic 'The Futurists'!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

I love free comics, don't you? (Well, the legal kind...but I digress...) Every May, I get so excited on free comic book day that I can hardly contain myself. However, sometimes I wish that I could get free comics (legally) all the time, instead of just once a year. When I heard that artist Mitch Breitweiser ("Captain America," "The Golden Age of Marvel," "Sub Mariner: 70th Anniversary Special") worked with writer Patrick Stiles to create an absolutely free web comic, I got really excited! 

The comic is entitled 'The Futurists,' and will be set in Calcutta, India during the 19th century colonial era. It is a story about "the quest for eternal life gone horribly wrong, the search for absolution, and the path to self destruction." The comic will be done completely live, and is bound to be action packed. We were lucky enough not only to give you some preview art to check out, we also got to ask Mr. Breitweiser a few questions regarding what we can expect from what sounds like an exciting new series!

COMIC VINE:   Will you be hosting the webcomic at whoarethefuturists.com ? Will it be available for purchase only?

MITCH BREITWEISER: The Futurists is going to be absolutely FREE on whoarethefuturists.com .  We are going to be selling signed lithos soon, though.

CV: The panel that we see indicates that the story opens in Calcutta, 1855; should the readers expect that the story will be set in the past throughout, or does the title of the comic, "The Futurists" indicate otherwise?

MB: Our entire story will be set in the mid to late 19th century. The Futurists was actually an art and literature movement at the time, though our characters use the moniker in a much different sense.  All should become clear once the prelude is wrapped up.

CV: I got the impression that your characters are European exploring Calcutta, am I right? Will they remain in India, or will we see their adventures take them elsewhere?

MB: Right now the entire story takes place in colonial India, though there has been some discussion about Futurists adventures in other far-off lands for latter tales.  The British Raj era of India was ripe with intrigue and mystery.  It provides a great backdrop to the type of stories we want to tell and the types of characters we want to tell them with.

CV: The art is truly unbelievable, and I personally felt that using ink really helped to set the mood. Should we expect that the entire comic will be illustrated in this manner?

MB: Actually, the art (except for that promo poster) wasn't inked at all.  Due to time constraints, I am doing the entire thing digitally on my Cintiq.  It's a bit of a different style for me.  A little bit looser than normal, but I think the art has an immediacy to it that readers will really enjoy.

CV: Just briefly, what inspired you and Mr. Stiles to do this comic together? 

MB: Patrick and I had been crafting stories since college, but with our careers really taking off and our talents maturing, we felt time was right to take one of our creations past the development stage.  It's our first venture into creator-owned territory.

CV:  Has Mr. Stiles done any other work in comics?

MB: Even though we have been collaborating for years, This is Partick's first published sequential work.  He really has a knack for dialogue.  I'm constantly impressed with how deft he is at creating character depth with his narrative.  I think anyone reading "The Futurists" will be impressed with how efficient we have been with the text and art under the constraints of the brief webcomic format.

CV: How else can we follow Mr. Stiles?

MB: The best place to catch Patrick right now is at WhoAreTheFuturists.com , or his twitter account http://twitter.com/grevish .  My website is MitchBreitweiser.com , or of course at http://twitter.com/mbreitwieser

A big thank you once again to Mitch for taking the time out of his busy schedule to talk to Comic Vine! I am really looking forward to this series, which is going to launch live tomorrow, Wednesday July, 1st 2009. You can subscribe to the RSS feed at the top of the page and follow the comic's gradual progression. The art work from the previews looks really incredible, and the dialogue is awesome. I am excited to find out what happens next! Can't wait for tomorrow! Are you going to check it out?

If you can, please DIGG !
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I like the art. Probably wont be checking it out (unless everyone starts talking about it) then I'll jump on the Bandwagon

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By No_Name_
    @Gambler said:
    " I like the art. Probably wont be checking it out (unless everyone starts talking about it) then I'll jump on the Bandwagon "
    LMAO.

WELL! It's free so I don't know what's NOT to love.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Cant go wrong with free stuff. Awesome job on the exclusive.

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nahero

thats some pretty fancy art work

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Calvin

Webcomics all the way!!!

Avatar image for incredible_hulk_prime
    Incredible Hulk-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Cool!!!!!!!!!

crazywolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By crazywolf

Another great interview. Webcomics-The way of the future which is appropriate for the Futurists :D

Avatar image for cannibal_fracture
    Cannibal Fracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cannibal Fracture

I'll check it out, free stuff is always worth checking out.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By pixelized

the art reminds me of DR:YA

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dondasch

I actually love the idea of setting this in Colonial era India.  Looks very interesting.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Media_Master

One word: NICE!!!

Avatar image for mar_vell_liberation_front
    Mar-Vell Liberation Front

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Great work and coverage, Babs!

Long live the Vine!

your pal,

zerogee0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zerogee0

if it's free, it's all-- good  all the time.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.