Miss Martian: Too powerful?

#1 Edited by Sinestro2828 (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

This post will discuss events that took place during episode 16 of Young Justice, "Failsafe," so I warn anyone who does not wish to have the episode spoiled for them before they see it themselves to turn back now and not read any further beyond this point.

Okay, for those of you who aren't worried about spoilers, what do you all think of the idea of Miss Martian being a psychic time-bomb waiting to go off? XD

Seriously though, during the events of episode 16 of Young Justice, Miss Martian unintentionally seized control of a telepathic training exercise supervised by Martian Manhunter due to her own latent ultra powerful psychic abilities. Basically, she turned an illusionary "worst case scenario/dealing with failure" training exercise into a psychic trap in which she and her team honestly thought they were earth's last line of defense against alien invaders who'd killed off the entire justice league, and whenever one of them died in the illusion, they'd slip into a coma. In the end, Martian Manhunter managed to save everyone by shocking Miss Martian back to reality, which restored everyone's consciousness, but also revealed that M'ggan's own psychic potential far outstretched that of her uncle's in terms of raw power, making her a "super martian" I suppose...

What I want to know is what you guys all think of Miss Martian's uncontrollable psychic super powers? Personally, I think its too much, I liked her better when her powers were undeveloped and still being worked upon, just like Superboy's, i.e. she had the potential to be as powerful as Martian Manhunter but still had a ways to go in her training, unlike now where she's suddenly too powerful for her own good and is probably now a "Deus Ex Machina" type of character who's untapped super psychic powers will save the team from some crazy mess or else set off a Jean Grey or Raven incident where they have to save her from herself. I'm not opposed to M'ggan being tough, just don't like the idea of her being a Raven clone where she's got all this terrible power she needs to keep under control or else, or being more powerful than Martian Manhunter despite his many more years of experience.

#2 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13397 posts) - - Show Bio

this needs spoiler alerts

#3 Edited by Sinestro2828 (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

this needs spoiler alerts

Sorry about that, I'll edit the page to warn people of the spoilers, >_<

With that being done, what do you think of Miss Martian's new issue discovered by the end of "Fail Safe?"

#4 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sinestro2828:

Apparently Miss Martian has a much more powerful telepathy-wise than J'onn. With more training and experience she should be able to easily surpass her uncle in no time. I find this kinda scary since I believe she's the mole in this team. She could be the mole sub-consciously without fully realizing it. Nevertheless I hope we do have a Jean Grey/Phoenix like saga that last for too long.

#5 Posted by Sinestro2828 (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

@soccersss said:

@Sinestro2828:

Apparently Miss Martian has a much more powerful telepathy-wise than J'onn. With more training and experience she should be able to easily surpass her uncle in no time. I find this kinda scary since I believe she's the mole in this team. She could be the mole sub-consciously without fully realizing it. Nevertheless I hope we do have a Jean Grey/Phoenix like saga that last for too long.

If she is the mole, then there's a possibility she's not really Martian Manhunter's niece...I mean, if her psychic powers are that great (possibly the result of genetic tampering or brain augmentation), she could have influenced his mind to make him believe she was his niece prior to slipping into her heroine persona & going sleeper agent (which if that were the case, would make her more akin to her white martian comic book self than we originally thought, only with a much darker origin if she was created/enlisted by "The Light" to infiltrate the heroes). She DID bring up the White Martians and their sorry lot in life on their home planet...Perhaps they're the Light's silent alien partners who keep Zeta Beaming them tech and weaponry?

I guess we won't know for certain what Miss Martian's story is until we actually meet the rest of her & Jonn's family. If she really is the Martian Manhunter's niece, then either her mom or her dad is MM's brother/sister, and she'd made mention of having MANY siblings as well, and since the Martian race still exists then Jonn's own wife and kid may still live as well. Basically, if M'ggan really is a part of the family, we'll likely meet them & MM's family sooner or later, and if not...Then it makes it more likely that she's a not who she seems. For a while now I thought she really was MM's niece and that the only secret she was hiding was that she was actually a white martian trying to pass for a green martian in order to fit in or avoid persecution (possibly a mixed racial background with a green martian AND a white martian parent). Regardless of her origins, I have a feeling her new powers are gonna stir up trouble for the team again sometime soon

#6 Posted by MetallicMercury (82 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I don't think that giving her near-limitless, uncontrolable telepathic powers can contribute to her character in any way. I like her character but giving her all that power is just over the top.

#7 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't she really supposed to be a White Martian?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.