Wolverine's claws?

#1 Posted by TimeKeeper (1222 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know much about Mimic, but I saw in the picture page that he has Wolverine's claws? Did he take on his healing factor and get adamantium laced bones? Because if not, something's wrong with that. Wolverine's claws are not a mutant power, healing is! What's up with that, Marvel?

#2 Posted by Raif (360 posts) - - Show Bio

i miss read sorry.
Post Edited:2007-01-14 22:42:37

#3 Posted by Retrocide (44 posts) - - Show Bio

Got a link to the picture?

I can scrounge up a comic in House of M where it's explicitly said they aren't part of his mutant powers (but healing is), if anyone contests them not being a power.

#4 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverines claws is a mutant power, Exiles Mimic has both his healing factor and bone claws.

#5 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, Rogue has on several occasions had his bone-claws when absorbing him.

#6 Posted by Fark Weaselcramp (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I believed it was revealed that the claws were a mutant ability when Magneto sucked the adamantium out of Wolverine's body.

#7 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a strange issue. Yes they are because of his mutation, which allows Mimic the ability to copy them. Mimic cannot copy the adamantium, however, and any picture where it looks like it is probably just artistic license. In most pictures of Mimic you can see that his claws are rough looking, which I have always took to identify them as bone and not metal:

I don't remember if they have actually discussed them being bone, though.

Wolverine has mentioned a few times that people thinking his claws were a mutant power were mistaken. I didn't take that to mean that they weren't caused by his mutation. I took that to mean that they are a part of his body because the context of this revelation is generally when someone is trying to nullify his powers (like in his solo comic). So unlike Marrow who creates additional instruments on demand (and nullifying her power would prevent her from doing so) wolverine's claws are a part of his physiology.

Of course this is all my opinion and could all be wrong. You know marvel. They could reveal one day that Mimic is a possible Omega level mutant and is copying the adamantium in wolverine as well, and that wolverine's claws are not a mutation at all and are a genetic throwback to something/someone in his ancestry (if that is not already what they were hinting at).
Post Edited:2007-01-15 09:32:16

#8 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio

Mimic has always had bone claws but they may also tranform to steel when he uses Colossus powers.

An easy explanation is that the Wolverine that Mimic copied the claws from was part of the mutant powers.

#9 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine's claws are a side effect of his mutation apparently. Although, as he says, it's not a super power.

#10 Posted by TimeKeeper (1222 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. Going through some old posts? cool. I never really got into Mimic that much, so I was just asking the questioni to see what people knew. But good discussion about it.

#11 Posted by drift beyond (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I only read the old stories when he took on the original X-Men. Now I want to read how he got Wolverine/Colossus' powers.

#12 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, that's in Exiles. Highly recommended.

#13 Posted by Kraven (517 posts) - - Show Bio

It's true. Wolverine's claws, healing factor and senses are all part of his mutation. Only the adamantium lacing is artificial. Mimic cannot form adamantium because it is not a natural occuring substance.

#14 Posted by Leliel (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait if Mimic copy Colossus and Magneto, could he use the magnetic abilities to make himself fly?

#15 Posted by Vance Astro (91237 posts) - - Show Bio

January 14th,2007 huh?

#16 Posted by Leliel (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

what that all about Vance?

#17 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio
Leliel said:
"

Wait if Mimic copy Colossus and Magneto, could he use the magnetic abilities to make himself fly?

"

Yes.
#18 Posted by Excessive (41 posts) - - Show Bio

No it is not a mutant power.
His bone claws are, yes.
Weopen X and/or William Stryker are the ones who implanted the adamantium claws into him, which made him a super mutant.

#19 Posted by Excessive (41 posts) - - Show Bio
NiteFly said:
"

This is a strange issue. Yes they are because of his mutation, which allows Mimic the ability to copy them. Mimic cannot copy the adamantium, however, and any picture where it looks like it is probably just artistic license. In most pictures of Mimic you can see that his claws are rough looking, which I have always took to identify them as bone and not metal:

Wolverine has mentioned a few times that people thinking his claws were a mutant power were mistaken. I didn't take that to mean that they weren't caused by his mutation. I took that to mean that they are a part of his body because the context of this revelation is generally when someone is trying to nullify his powers (like in his solo comic). So unlike Marrow who creates additional instruments on demand (and nullifying her power would prevent her from doing so) wolverine's claws are a part of his physiology.

Of course this is all my opinion and could all be wrong. You know marvel. They could reveal one day that Mimic is a possible Omega level mutant and is copying the adamantium in wolverine as well, and that wolverine's claws are not a mutation at all and are a genetic throwback to something/someone in his ancestry (if that is not already what they were hinting at).

"

Mimics power is to mimic people's powers, but when he copys them, it becomes weaker then it is. And if he mimiced  wolverines power, it would not be adamatium , it would be a weaker metal such as Stainless Steal.
#20 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio
Excessive said:
"NiteFly said:
"

"

Mimics power is to mimic people's powers, but when he copys them, it becomes weaker then it is. And if he mimiced  wolverines power, it would not be adamatium , it would be a weaker metal such as Stainless Steal."
If his adamantium is not based on a power how could Mimic copy the metal?  I don't think he is copying the metal, I think he is just copying the bone.
#21 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

As discussed many moons ago, Wolverine's bones aren't naturally adamantium but bone which is what Mimic gets when he copies him. If I remember rightly, any mutation gained is at half strength, I would imagine that if he mimiced Colossus (who does become metallic) that it would be the same metal at a lower density.

#22 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio
Cosmic Sentinel said:
"As discussed many moons ago, Wolverine's bones aren't naturally adamantium but bone which is what Mimic gets when he copies him. If I remember rightly, any mutation gained is at half strength, I would imagine that if he mimiced Colossus (who does become metallic) that it would be the same metal at a lower density."

The half strength thing is not seen much in the comics really, only when he talks about how his powers work.
For example when he mimicks Angel's wings he get two wings, not one.
#23 Posted by striker_hiryu21 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine the great hero!!!!!

#24 Posted by Excessive (41 posts) - - Show Bio
Leliel said:
"

"

Well somehow Magneto flys in the movies. Can someone tell me why? lol
#25 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Excessive said:

"No it is not a mutant power.
His bone claws are, yes.
Weopen X and/or William Stryker are the ones who implanted the adamantium claws into him, which made him a super mutant."
The adamantium actually hinders his healing abilities.
Also: Magneto "flies" (usually more of a levitation) by manipulating gravity and other EM forces.
#26 Posted by reaper75 (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Ithink you should read mcp56-61 were its discussed that mimics father was part of the  team that bonded wolverine with adamantium.  also implied same  was done with Calvin.

#27 Posted by mimic12 (548 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this series I downloaded all 100 issues and mimic is one of my faverite characters. I was so mad when they kiiled him of I hope that bring him back in future issues and the claws are part of wolverines power to.

#28 Edited by reaper75 (15 posts) - - Show Bio

He is not dead. He reappeared in Carvel Comics presents surviving hulk 161 by mimicking wolverine power who was near staking out the hulk.  Then you got him in x-force 46, 52  setting him up as a herald of onslaught, Excalibur 121-5, X-51 1-3 and uncanny x-men during the search for xavier with the brotherhood then depowered  and then repowered.  The mimic is my favorite X-man, if hes in it i have it.   The bone claws would be wolverines but I don't think he can mimic metal like adamantium.  Calvins father was part of the team that bonded it to Logan.  Cals dad even looked at wolverine in the one issue and told him at least one of his subjects was a sucsess. But in MCP Cal had metal claws not just bone, so it stands to reason cals dad may have experimented on him as well. 
I hope they bring him back soon to, and hopefully on a X-roster, Last seen he was captured by the T-bolts and still in the folding castle.

#29 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio
reaper75 said:
"He is not dead. He reappeared in Carvel Comics presents surviving hulk 161 by mimicking wolverine power who was near staking out the hulk.  Then you got him in x-force 46, 52  setting him up as a herald of onslaught, Excalibur 121-5, X-51 1-3 and uncanny x-men during the search for xavier with the brotherhood then depowered  and then repowered.  The mimic is my favorite X-man, if hes in it i have it.   The bone claws would be wolverines but I don't think he can mimic metal like adamantium.  Calvins father was part of the team that bonded it to Logan.  Cals dad even looked at wolverine in the one issue and told him at least one of his subjects was a sucsess. But in MCP Cal had metal claws not just bone, so it stands to reason cals dad may have experimented on him as well. 
I hope they bring him back soon to, and hopefully on a X-roster, Last seen he was captured by the T-bolts and still in the folding castle."

He's talking about Exiles Mimic.
Who is dead.
#30 Posted by danhimself (22556 posts) - - Show Bio

this is such a stupid thread but just to set it straight...wolverines claws are a part of his mutant abilitys but because he had to develop the muscles and tendons to pop and retract them when his mutant powers are deactivated he can still pop them....mimics claws are bone but when he has colossus' powers they become steel

#31 Posted by box turtle (1258 posts) - - Show Bio
@NiteFly said:
"

"

The bone claws are part of Wolverine's body.  The admantium on top isn't.  If you look at the picture, you can tell that its only bone claws mimic has. 
#32 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@box turtle: I think the colourist took liberties and made them metallic, but the outline of them is certainly jagged. 

@NiteFly said: 
" Wolverine has mentioned a few times that people thinking his claws were a mutant power were mistaken. I didn't take that to mean that they weren't caused by his mutation. I took that to mean that they are a part of his body because the context of this revelation is generally when someone is trying to nullify his powers (like in his solo comic). So unlike Marrow who creates additional instruments on demand (and nullifying her power would prevent her from doing so) wolverine's claws are a part of his physiology."
I think people get confused when they read older issues.  A lot of the ideas behind Wolverine have changed over the years.  The revelation that the claws were originally bone is a relatively new concept, so it essentially retcons a lot of stuff before hand where he claimed that they weren't part of his mutation.  After all, animals don't have real healing factors ;)   

This is like when Rogue had bone claws at the start of X-Treme X-Men.  Therefore it seems like a moot issue, really.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.