Last name screw up?

#1 Posted by YoungLordMike (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Morales is a Spanish last name but his mother is the one who is Puerto Rican/Latina and his father is suppose to be non-Hispanic Black. Could he have taken his last name from his mother or did Marvel just screw this one up?

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably just some ignorant writer who didn't know what he was doing... Oh wait, didn't Bendis create him?

#3 Posted by JPWolf5 (67 posts) - - Show Bio

may be his parents aren't married so he has his mother's last name

#4 Posted by ravisher (694 posts) - - Show Bio

some one done goof'd

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34016 posts) - - Show Bio

I have my mum's last name, what's the big deal?

#6 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4769 posts) - - Show Bio

Morales is Spanish, yes. Also, last names don't mean anything.

#7 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Probably just some ignorant writer who didn't know what he was doing... Oh wait, didn't Bendis create him?

hehe

#8 Posted by kode0 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes... because in our world we never have African-Americans with Spanish names or vice versa. A name is name and there are a million reasons why he might have that name.

#9 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

They did that intentionally to assert the fact that he is indeed half hispanic too. i have often pondered it myself, but came to terms with it after about 2 minutes.

#10 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Because of Bendis.

#11 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34016 posts) - - Show Bio

because no one cares

#12 Edited by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Spanish children take their last names from their mothers.

#13 Posted by Jawshco (244 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know any African-American dudes who have kids in wedlock that have their kids to take their mother's name, but perhaps it does happen in the Ultimate Universe. I do think it was a mistake. Not a big deal, but I would like to see them explain this in the comic book. Maybe Jefferson is half Dominican or something... That would be cool. It would make Miles a true melting pot of races... kinda like me.

#14 Posted by EnlloLeal (22 posts) - - Show Bio

His uncle is Aaron Davis. Therefore his dad is Jefferson Davis and his mom is Rio Morales. In Puerto Rico, if an unwed mother can't or couldn't get the father to recognize the child. Then the child gets his mother's surname only. In the U.S. it's up to the parents. My niece has my sister's surname.

@ReVamp: Nope, It goes (First Name) (Middle Name) (Father's Last Name) (Mother's Last Name). They would introduce themselves as (First Name) (Father's Last Name)

#15 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@EnlloLeal said:

His uncle is Aaron Davis. Therefore his dad is Jefferson Davis and his mom is Rio Morales. In Puerto Rico, if an unwed mother can't or couldn't get the father to recognize the child. Then the child gets his mother's surname only. In the U.S. it's up to the parents. My niece has my sister's surname.

@ReVamp: Nope, It goes (First Name) (Middle Name) (Father's Last Name) (Mother's Last Name). They would introduce themselves as (First Name) (Father's Last Name)

Thank's for that explanation...

Question, are you sure it's (Father's Surname) then (Mother's Surname)... usually I see last names hyphenated and usually Mother's or Maiden Name comes first, but when cut to short form it is (Father's Surname)

#16 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@EnlloLeal said:

Uh. So they do take their last name from their mothers. Which means I'm correct. The fact he introduces himself with his mother's name, is another matter entirely.

#17 Posted by Mr Bubbles (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they accidentally switched his first and last name. So he was supposed to be named Morales Miles :P

#18 Posted by EnlloLeal (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken: @ReVamp: In Mexico it's (Mother's) followed by (Father's).

But most spanish-speaking countries (and Puerto Rico) use (Father's) then (Mother's).

#19 Posted by Perfect 10 (1116 posts) - - Show Bio

i just want an in universe explanation for why he didnt have his father's last name. most likely his father wasnt there to sign the birth certificate which could open up a whole can daddy issues drama

#20 Posted by GeekBait (785 posts) - - Show Bio

If he had his dad's last name, he'd be Miles Davis. :O That's pretty rad.

#21 Posted by Joygirl (20064 posts) - - Show Bio

Born out of wedlock.

#22 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see the big deal with him having his mom's name.

#23 Edited by Night Thrasher (3700 posts) - - Show Bio

It's because....dammit!!!! stopped caring halfway through the sentence.

#24 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4853 posts) - - Show Bio

I have my mum's last name, what's the big deal?

As previously stated someone getting their mother's last name instead of their fathers is common even if it is viewed to be rare. My friend is Salvadorian and has his mothers last name not his fathers and both his parents are now married. It happens.
Hell in Mexico you get both your parents last names like
Jose Hernandez Cortez for short you are Jose Hernandez but your Diploma and other legal paper work will feature both your last names.

@Durakken: @ReVamp: In Mexico it's (Mother's) followed by (Father's).

But most spanish-speaking countries (and Puerto Rico) use (Father's) then (Mother's).

What? All my family members that live in Mexico have their fathers last name and then their mothers.
(+)
#25 Posted by Drewyetti (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Why didn't Miles' have both his parents surnames so it would be Miles Morales-Davis?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.