inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

The Ultimate Universe went through so many changes during Cataclysm, but luckily one of those changes wasn't a new creative team on Earth-1610's best character: Miles Morales. Hands down, this is the best book to come out of the post-Cataclysm world, mainly because it has the same creative team on it as the one in the previous volume, before Galactus started eating everything.

This series is still about Miles Morales adapting to being Spider-Man. There's still a learning curve and even moreso right now, since he recently had his web-shooters taken away by "Peter Parker." That little moment has an effect on Miles in this issue, so although it's a small moment, it's nice to see it play out. There's also the fact that Miles doesn't want to lie to everyone, so he feels he needs to tell people he is Spider-Man. It's something he struggles with here, but as fans have seen in the past, that's not always the best idea.

This issue is all really about Norman Osborn returning to the series. While the face-to-face moment fans have been waiting for between Osborn and Spidey doesn't happen until the end of the issue, the pay off is in the build up as Norman takes on Monica Chang and proves he's still a villainous force in the Marvel Ultimate Universe. The scene between the two characters is exciting and brutal. This is the Norman Osborn people have wanted to see come back.

As always, the art team of David Marquez and Justin Ponsor (colors) does not fail to impress the reader. The art work is clear and crisp and Marquez has a style that can make an epic battle come off just as exciting as Ganke and Miles chatting in the streets of New York. Ponsor does some wonderous work with colors and shading. No one else can do what he does on this book. He's set the bar high.

I was super-surprised and excited to see both Brian Michael Bendis and David Marquez drawn into this issue as bumbling detectives, the best kind of detectives.

The Bad

Not much to complain about here. This book really takes the reader on a ride and has such a fantastic creative team behind it.

The Verdict

MILES MORALES: THE ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN sets the bar high for super-hero books. It does an amazing job at balancing super-hero elements while keeping the series relatively grounded. We finally get the return of Norman Osborn who is destructive as ever and while the big pay off will be in the next issue, the build up here is near perfect. Everything about this series is top notch and it's a series that needs to be on readers' pull lists everywhere.

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By movieartman

1.) disturbed by the sudden and unceremonious death of monica chang, she was mara hill, daisy johnson & black widow all wrapped up in one

2.) marquez's green goblin was as bad freaking ass as i hoped, god i pray he never changes styles and stops with all the awesome detail and crosshatching. his human faces simple in comparison are just as amazing.

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

1.) disturbed by the sudden and unceremonious death of monica chang, she was mara hill, daisy johnson & black widow all wrapped up in one

2.) marquez's green goblin was as bad freaking ass as i hoped, god i pray he never changes styles and stops with all the awesome detail and crosshatching. his human faces simple in comparison are just as amazing.

She may not be dead. She may just be horribly disfigured or something. Always wait for the bod for confirmation.

Gudvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Gudvin

And guess who turnes up in the next issue? Peter freakin Parker. *yawn*

First arc is just fine on the basis of its shock value, but I wonder what Bendis'll come with after killing off that Parker. Whole Miles Morales' career as Spider-Man was an uninspiring waste of both Marquez and Pichelli's talent (at least for me).

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing book.

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@gudvin said:

First arc is just fine on the basis of its shock value, but I wonder what Bendis'll come with after killing off that Parker. Whole Miles Morales' career as Spider-Man was an uninspiring waste of both Marquez and Pichelli's talent (at least for me).

>(

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By danhimself

The only bad thing about this book is that it's only a monthly...the wait between issues is killer

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Jphu8414

The decompression in this book is freaking killing me, but I've come to expect that with Bendis

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, that kind of bummed me out. It's like they couldn't wait to get rid of her after handing the Black Widow mantle over to Jessica.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 owie  Moderator

Good book.

And that's funny, I didn't realize that was Bendis and Marquez. I thought the one cop was Serpico and was trying to figure out who the other one was :)

Egie_Asemota1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gudvin: then don't read it. you still have Amazing spiderman, spiderman spectacular, the movies, the cartoons, the toys and the games. so enjoy your peter parker in all his mediocrity while the rest of us enjoy creative writing and better character development and evolution.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gudvin said:

is that confirmed to even be "peter"

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

@w0nd said:

@gudvin said:

No. Not only is it not confirmed, but the absurdity of it being Peter is all Miles has really talked about, and he has several times basically told himself "it's gotta be a clone or something." If it turns out to really be Peter and Osborn, Miles is going to want an explanation just as badly as any reader.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The only bad thing about this book is that it's only a monthly...the wait between issues is killer

So much this. It's easily top of my entire pull and it sucks having to wait monthly for this!!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert said:

@w0nd said:

@gudvin said:

No. Not only is it not confirmed, but the absurdity of it being Peter is all Miles has really talked about, and he has several times basically told himself "it's gotta be a clone or something." If it turns out to really be Peter and Osborn, Miles is going to want an explanation just as badly as any reader.

I really doubt that it's really Peter but I have no doubts that that is the real Osborn...he's survived much worse than what happened to him in Death of Spider-man...now that I think about it I really wouldn't be surprised if that really is Peter...the OZ serum seems to have amazing healing abilities

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

So much this. It's easily top of my entire pull and it sucks having to wait monthly for this!!

yup....I really like what Bendis is doing in All-New and Uncanny X-men and United States of Murder Inc is really good to but man I wish that he would drop one of them and make Ultimate a bi-monthly book

Gudvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gudvin
    @egie_asemota1 said:

@gudvin: then don't read it. you still have Amazing spiderman, spiderman spectacular, the movies, the cartoons, the toys and the games. so enjoy your peter parker in all his mediocrity while the rest of us enjoy creative writing and better character development and evolution.

I'm not fond of current Amazing Spider-Man either. I don't like the misleading characterization of MJ in SpOck; I don't like the dull portrayal of Black Cat-turned-bad. I even grew tired of Ramos artwork and yadayadyada.

And I honestly don't know what kind of creativity you're talking about. Miles' supporting cast and rogue gallery almost entirely consists of Peter Parker's old friends, allies and adversaries. Slow pacing doesn't help, like, at all. Even his stealth-mode and venom touch are kinda lame and cheating. His book's easily the best Ultimate title right now (s'funny) and I wanna love it with all my heart, but there are too many "No".

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@inferiorego Turns out your dog is a pretty good writer after all, eh?

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone ever revealed their superhero identity to their girlfriend and she took it well?

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this issue wasn't that good, at least in my opinion, it could have been a lot better, the only thing i like was the last few pages, for me it was no more than 4 stars book.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdp180 said:

Has anyone ever revealed their superhero identity to their girlfriend and she took it well?

invincible , i think ultimate MJ did

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GrenadeFlow

Have you guys seen this cover for October's issue. Does clone peter die?

No Caption Provided

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert said:

@w0nd said:

@gudvin said:

I really doubt that it's really Peter but I have no doubts that that is the real Osborn...he's survived much worse than what happened to him in Death of Spider-man...now that I think about it I really wouldn't be surprised if that really is Peter...the OZ serum seems to have amazing healing abilities

I'm sure he's the real Osborn and that makes Peter's death kind of lame. He made the ultimate sacrifice in order to save his family, Osborn being alive endangers his family again and so, makes his sacrifice pointless.

Also, I hope that wasn't the real Peter. If that's the real Peter it's just a matter of time that he will eventually become Spider-Man again and I care so much about Miles right now I don't want him to go. Not to mention that if he's Peter and he's been out for a year without telling anyone (not even his aunt) and without helping the heroes neither during the war or the Galactus thing... Ultimate Peter Parker is a dick.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

@akbogert said:

@w0nd said:

@gudvin said:

I'm sure he's the real Osborn and that makes Peter's death kind of lame. He made the ultimate sacrifice in order to save his family, Osborn being alive endangers his family again and so, makes his sacrifice pointless.

Also, I hope that wasn't the real Peter. If that's the real Peter it's just a matter of time that he will eventually become Spider-Man again and I care so much about Miles right now I don't want him to go. Not to mention that if he's Peter and he's been out for a year without telling anyone (not even his aunt) and without helping the heroes neither during the war or the Galactus thing... Ultimate Peter Parker is a dick.

I've kind of had this idea floating around my head of how they could bring Peter back...I'd rather they didn't but this idea could work....they were always talking about how to many people knew Peter's identity so what if after Death of Spider-man his body gets taken by SHIELD where they discover that he's still alive....he recovers and along with Nick Fury they decide that for his family's safety it's better that he stay dead...well now SHIELD has been disbanded and there's no one to keep Peter in witness protection anymore so he decides that since Osborn is dead that it's ok to come out of hiding

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: i always thought that too, but his identity is public knowledge world wide. across the globe now. any one of his villains could just blow up his friends house school so on

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@danhimself: i always thought that too, but his identity is public knowledge world wide. across the globe now. any one of his villains could just blow up his friends house school so on

didn't even think about that...he would have to have a whole new identity then

I still like the idea of it being a clone and have him ultimately end up becoming Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a recent newcomer to the ultimate universe spidey. I read some of the early issues and then dropped it and just recently came back. I enjoy bendis writing Spiderman more than slott and that was my reasoning. I have been really pleased with these first 3 issues of the "new" series.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm curious about Pete to. The clone thing is probable but I don't see it as a thing. There's a catch somewhere!

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"This is the Norman Osborn people have wanted to see come back."

I thought no one came back after death in the Ultimate Universe!

Kanen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.