Mike Wieringo

#1 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

By now i assume that most of you will have heard the tragic news that Mike Wieringo passed away on the 12th.

It's a sad day, and the comic world has lost a terrific artist.

here's a quick tribute to Mike, i encourage others to add their favorite pieces of work by Mike. He worked on so many characters, and I'm sure, even if you don't know his name, you will have seen his work.

Mike Wieringo, True art never dies...

M

#2 Posted by Zaraki Ichigo (6476 posts) - - Show Bio

That sucks, he was an awesome artist. We have lost a true genius in his death.

#3 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

really sad news...

M

#4 Posted by Zaraki Ichigo (6476 posts) - - Show Bio

I know I was in love with his art in the Other series and will miss not being able to ever see it again.

#5 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

I know Tellos wasn't a major book, but that was the one i remember most fondly...

M

#6 Posted by Cryo-Wolf (12662 posts) - - Show Bio

He did that style of drawing!? I love that style!

tear

#7 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

i think most people will remember him from his work on Spiderman and Flash...

M

#8 Posted by Zaraki Ichigo (6476 posts) - - Show Bio

He was a truely brilliant artist. Like I said there are gonna be a lot of people who are gonna miss his art work.

#9 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

i loved how he made the characters look... different... fresh somehow...

i'll definitely miss that now

M

#10 Posted by Cryo-Wolf (12662 posts) - - Show Bio

Who's that wolf-ish looking guy in the Avengers pic?

#11 Posted by Maxim (330 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG. I loved that art style, I didn't know who did it, I never really paid much attention to who draws stuff. I never had the patience to check. It's sad that he passed away. His style will truly be missed. How old was he?

#12 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

heres the article i got in my e~mail on monday...

The comics industry has lost one of its most respected members this weekend – artist Mike Wieringo has passed away at the age of 44, according to numerous sources speaking with CBR News. Details are unclear right now, but early reports say he experienced a sudden and massive heart attack. Newsarama is reporting that Sunday afternoon Wieringo experienced chest pains and did call 911, but first responders were unable to reach him in time.

Wieringo was born June 24th, 1963 and shot to fame in the early 1990s working with writer Mark Waid on a memorable and character defining run on "The Flash." From that point on, Wieringo worked steadily in the comics industry, including teaming with writer Todd DeZago on the creator owned series "Tellos," which is set to be collected by Image Comics. Wieringo’s mainstream work continued with Marvel Comics, where in 2002 he and Waid reteamed for a memorable run on "Fantastic Four" and has more recently been seen working on "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man" with Peter David and "Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four" with writer Jeff Parker.

Wieringo was always a friend to CBR and was until recently a long time client of its parent company, Boiling Point Web Hosting. On his official Web site, he posted a new sketch three days a week. His last sketch posted Friday, seen below, fittingly featured characters from his series "Tellos." He hosted his official forum here on CBR where a memorial thread has begun. Often his fans would post the art they were working on and ask for his criticism, which he was always happy to share.

#13 Posted by Scene Kid (327 posts) - - Show Bio

I really am going to miss his art,espically Ultimate Fantastic Four

#14 Posted by Blue_Shield (752 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by zero edge (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

So long to a great artist.

#16 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

great artists i followed his work for a long time then i kinda drifted up until freindly spiderman and then this very tragic we will all miss him

#17 Posted by G-Man (33818 posts) - - Show Bio

How sucky. His myspace page was deleted. I had him my top list and had to think for a moment why there was one less. Seems...weird.

Staff
#18 Posted by The Mighty Thor (7469 posts) - - Show Bio

thats sucks i thought he was great for friendly neighborhood spiderman

#19 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah, was a true shame to see the news...

M

#20 Posted by The Mighty Thor (7469 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah it always suck when someone dies its weird how you feel though like the feeling never going to see them again i hate that feeling

#21 Posted by paffa34 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I suppose it's never too late to kneel in respect for a great illustrator and artist.  I have only heard about him after his death, but I am incredibly inspired by his great penciling.  His art, without a doubt shines above other work, imagine what he'd be like 10 years from now heh.

#22 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved his work.  I even bought Tellos for his artwork alone (although the story wasn't as strong as the art).  He was a great artist, and consistently created good work, but often overlooked for the more steroid or T&A obsessed artists.  His death is a great loss.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.