Mighty Avengers #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: Originally reviewed on August 19, 2013 HERE.

The Good

The immediate question is, do we need another Avengers-title? Al Ewing sets off right away to give this title a separate feel from the others. From the beginning it starts off with a Heroes for Hire feel. That's what Luke Cage has been up to since leaving the Avengers (he does have a family to support after all). Cage has been working with the new Power Man (Victor Alvarez as well as the current White Tiger, Ava Ayala). The hook of the story and connection to Infinity is all the Avengers have left the planet (as seen in INFINITY #1) and Thanos has decided this is the perfect time to push his plans and move towards Earth.

You can maybe see where this is going and why the "Avengers" name will become attached to these heroes.

The nice thing about this team is they definitely have a more cohesive feel to them. With Jonathan Hickman's (main) team, we're seeing a huge team, which makes sense in having the right hero available for different threats. The problem is, you start to lose the team feeling that way. These characters have more of a connection. Having the SUPERIOR Spider-Man around adds to the tension that makes team books more entertaining.

The villains we see in the beginning sheds a different sort of light upon the Marvel Universe. Too often we see the same old villains fighting the heroes and you have to wonder why they never get the point that they'll just keep losing to them. Throughout the evolution of this new "Mighty" Avengers, we get a sense of how this team will be different along with some mystery showing that we haven't seen the full picture yet. In other words, the whole gang isn't here just yet. How the few do gather here is great since you'd expect a city full of heroes to eventually show up in the same places.

The Bad

It is a little strange having what basically appears to be street-level heroes tied up in a galactic crossover like Infinity. That event may be the what launches the formation of this team but it just feels odd having a cosmic level threat involved. We don't see the entire team so we can't form a firm opinion on how this team will be. It is an interesting start so far.

The art by Greg Land sometimes comes across as too pretty or the characters appear like they're posing for the camera. This isn't anything new. There was a great panel with Luke holding the bridge of his nose in exasperation but it's a little distracting when the background people all look "pretty" as well.

I like the idea of a bickering and snotty Spider-Man being around to be a pain but there are times it comes across as too much. SUPERIOR Spider-Man works in his title. SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN TEAM-UP was pushing things a little. This could become more annoying than enjoyable really quick.

The Verdict

We may not need another Avengers title but we do have a fascinating gathering of heroes here. Event tie-ins sometimes feel forced but this gives an interesting twist with all the heroes busy elsewhere. With the Marvel Universe containing so many different characters, it's easy for some to get lost in the shuffle. If you've been missing any of the characters here, you'll definitely want to check this out (except for Spider-Man, since it's hard to miss him with him popping up more and more in the Marvel U). Al Ewing starts off the series on the right foot. We don't have all the players in place but there is a curiosity that will make you want to come back. With a mysterious character right away and more members to come, there's no telling what the next issue will bring us. MIGHTY AVENGERS isn't the series you were expecting but it's going to be the one you're happy to read.

BattheMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sounds good. I'll be getting my copy signed by Land on Saturday!

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope to read it soon

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I thought this already came out?

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Kerrigan

This was fun, the interactions between the two Power Men were enjoyable, and this looks like it could shape up to be a good team. Although it's obvious they're going to need more heavy hitters very soon (and we know they're coming).

Of course, we get the Superior Spider-Man thing where someone who knew Pete really quite well (Cage) greets his radical personality switch with pretty much a shrug, but that sadly is how Marvel has decided to go with Otto. Making people act stupid for the sake of plot is not great writing.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wow wow wow, the Mighty Avengers is Ms. Marvel, Sentry, Wonderman, Ares, Iron Man, Black Widow, and Wasp. 5 powerhouses and 2 weaklings. This team is has Spectrum and Blue Marvel to fit that category, and they have to face Thanos, the Earth is lost then. Plus Luke Cage deserves to lose.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kerrigan said:

This was fun, the interactions between the two Power Men were enjoyable, and this looks like it could shape up to be a good team. Although it's obvious they're going to need more heavy hitters very soon (and we know they're coming).

Of course, we get the Superior Spider-Man thing where someone who knew Pete really quite well (Cage) greets his radical personality switch with pretty much a shrug, but that sadly is how Marvel has decided to go with Otto. Making people act stupid for the sake of plot is not great writing.

Blue Marvel is coming, he knocked the Sentry into orbit just off reaction and defeated King Hyperion the same one that killed multiple heroes on multiple earths. When he defeated King Hyperion he wasn't infused with nanites to dampen his power like in the Thunderbolts title. He will be a main heavy hitter.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@lordrequiem said:

Wow wow wow, the Mighty Avengers is Ms. Marvel, Sentry, Wonderman, Ares, Iron Man, Black Widow, and Wasp. 5 powerhouses and 2 weaklings. This team is has Spectrum and Blue Marvel to fit that category, and they have to face Thanos, the Earth is lost then. Plus Luke Cage deserves to lose.

Correction, the Mighty Avengers WERE Ms.Marvel,Sentry,Wonderman,Ares,Iron Man,Black Widow & Wasp and Spider-Woman was also a member at one point. The Avengers as a whole have to face Thanos or well rather all Earth's Heroes do and there are several different Avengers teams, each with their own powerhouses.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: The Avengers are fighting the Builders. They are being aided by The Shi'ar Empire, The Kree, The Skrulls ,The Spartax, The Brood and the Annihilation Wave. I'd say once victory is there's, The Avengers will come back to Earth to help the Illuminatti and Luke Cage's team.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 vance_astro  Moderator

@oscars94 said:

@vance_astro: The Avengers are fighting the Builders. They are being aided by The Shi'ar Empire, The Kree, The Skrulls ,The Spartax, The Brood and the Annihilation Wave. I'd say once victory is there's, The Avengers will come back to Earth to help the Illuminatti and Luke Cage's team.

Thanks for the info, i'm a little behind.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

I agree with you on some things. I really miss the first Mighty Avengers.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LAND USES HIS TONY STARK FACE FOR LUKE CAGE!!!!

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

i liked it 4/5 is good score for this. Some rough panels but i wonder where White TIger went? Ill pick up this next issue.

Jacobin_Wisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mysterious character? It was obvious who it was....

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Was Land's art unbearable or tolerable?

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Boring, to be honest.

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Splendiferous Spider Hero

BreZeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is this something you would recommend to others?

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Splendiferous Spider Hero this guy kinda cracked me up. Spidey was just kinda "wtf?" lol

The issue was good. I'm hoping on seeing Blue Marvel return to the MU.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By nappystr8

I think 4/5 just about nails this issue. It wasn't what I expected this book to be necessarily, it's written a flowery and playful way that's still throwing me a little. I could see that becoming one of the book's main strengths once I get used to it. The roster is obviously great, but I wasn't sure how good their interplay would be going into this issue. Clearly Ewing understands these characters and molds their differing personalities into a great team dynamic though.

It was also great to read the afterword, where Ewing divulges his long time love for Monica and Luke. I've always thought it was strange that a character who was such a big deal in the Marvel Universe just sort of faded into obscurity for the better part of two decades.

Based on previous press reveals I'm assuming the mystery character is the new Ronin. But it will be interesting to find out.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know i have mixed feelings about the first issue. There were some funny parts to it and I enjoyed seeing Luke being back in the picture. I know the title is an Avengers title so I know to expect heroes to band together to fight the foes that one hero can't but its getting a little old seeing how every Avengers team forms the same way. But because I'm still on the fence and it's still the first issue ill pick up the next issue.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

I liked it. The art wasn't perfect, but the story was good, and came across as a good first issue. Looking forward to reading more.

Also, I really liked the little note about how Al Ewing likes Luke and Monica. She's the main reason I'm getting into this series, so it's great that she's being handled by a writer who's a big fan.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

perfect first issue which is very rare for me to like a first issue especially when i put so much hype around it. did not disappoint. the only problem i had was with monica, she looked at times like a tanned wasp or maybe a latina not black, dont get why the colorist made her so light but other than that no gripes. i love pretty art, which more books would be pretty (defenders im looking at you). definitely a five for me and so far the best book this week

Damian_Arrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Damian_Arrows

it's funny reading how silly and cartoony this is after something like hickman's ultra serious space opera/ end of the multiverse scenario.

Praetor_fenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't like it. So far it's Heroes for hire more than avengers and i've never ejoyed heroes for hire.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 owie  Moderator

I really want to like this book, mostly for the characters...White Tiger, Monica, and the new Power Man. And eventually Blue Marvel. But not surprisingly, Greg Land sucks. Hopefully he'll move on eventually.

But honestly, Spectrum? How many names has Monica had now? There was no reason to do that. Sure some of her names have been shared by others, but Photon was just fine.

DCWarFan73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I loved Mighty Avengers first issue. Yes the Infinity invasion is coming to NYC and who ya gonna call? Aint the Ghostbusters Fella. Luke Cage deserves to lead a team of his own again and I love this rag tag bunch with the Superior Spider-Man trying his best to be the best of all time. The writing is spot on and enjoyable and Land's art works but the writing is what sells this book. About time we had a well written enjoyable book that is not involving Batman, Superman, or everyone major character they cram down our throats.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cant Luke Cage just get his own solo-title?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.