Follow

Midnighter

Character » Midnighter appears in 436 issues.

Midnighter is an augmented hero with superhuman physical abilities and the power to run through thousands of fight scenarios in his head before a single punch is thrown. Although he's one of the good guys, Midnighter enjoys violence and brutality and never feels more alive than when he's in the middle of a bloody brawl.

Midnighter: Love him or Hate him?

• 68 results
    Avatar image for midnight_lantern
    Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Midnight Lantern

Just curious. Do you like Midnighter or hate him?

I honestly don't like him.

Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Midnight Lantern

Satyrquaze says:

"He's interesting and a nice power-set but he's very much a douchebag, like everyone else on the Authority."

Yeah. He's pretty much a D0uchebag.

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Satyrquaze

He's interesting and a nice power-set but he's very much a douchebag, like everyone else on the Authority.

Super-Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Super-Buster

...He's not my kind of hero.

Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Midnight Lantern

Bump.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Methos

he's pretty cool...

interesting character with a very ambiguous mind... i like it :D

M

Midnight Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Midnight Lantern

Methos says:

"he's pretty cool... interesting character with a very ambiguous mind... i like it :D M"

lol.

He's ok in my mind (Certainly not my favorite) but for some reason I see him as a Batman Rip-Off.

T.J. Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By T.J. Magnum

midnighter is one of my top favorites

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Methos

he's not...

have a look at his series sometime, he's actually a really interesting character once you get below the power set.

if you're reading Dream War you'll probably see some more of the character rather than just him playing up as he'll be facing off against characters way outside of his normal league...

M

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Hadrelius

I hate him. Batman can do almost the same as he, without the augmentation.

Avatar image for theceruleangestalt
    theCeruleanGestalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...I'm leaning towards hating. :P

/CG

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zee crusher

Midnight Lantern says:

"Methos says:
    "he's pretty cool... interesting character with a very ambiguous mind... i like it :D M"

lol.

He's ok in my mind (Certainly not my favorite) but for some reason I see him as a Batman Rip-Off."

He's not your favorite lol?

Avatar image for akira_overdrive
    Akira Overdrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Akira Overdrive

Midnighter sure is getting alot of hate.But he is simply put better then you think he is,cause he is a gay superhero that will straight up kill your favorite superhero.Not only that his costume is bomb.

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hadrelius

Akira Overdrive says:

"Midnighter sure is getting alot of hate.But he is simply put better then you think he is,cause he is a gay superhero that will straight up kill your favorite superhero.Not only that his costume is bomb."

To me he is just that, a killer parading around as a hero. He's what past as a hero in todays fans eyes. No honor in just killing a foe that stands no chance against you. But his costume is cool .

Avatar image for theceruleangestalt
    theCeruleanGestalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alpha says:

"Akira Overdrive says:
    "Midnighter sure is getting alot of hate.But he is simply put better then you think he is,cause he is a gay superhero that will straight up kill your favorite superhero.Not only that his costume is bomb."
    To me he is just that, a killer parading around as a hero. He's what past as a hero in todays fans eyes. No honor in just killing a foe that stands no chance against you. But his costume is cool . "

I could hardly agree more. Midnighter has a cool suit, but kills too much to be a hero. x_X

/CG

Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Lady Tlieso

i'm not really familiar with any of his solo stuff but from what i've read in Authority i like him. he's definitely not your typical hero which i like.

BKole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By BKole

I like the Authority;

And Midnight is indeed a version of Batman, like all of the first members of Henry Bendix's SPD thing were. Amaze was Wonder Woman, Lamplighter was Green Lantern. I have to say, that while I love the Authority, and the Wildstorm universe as a whole, Hawksmoor only just makes it over Midnighter. Which is odd, because I hate Batman.

Ptero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ptero

I hate Midnighter.. his super power is 'I win if there is any chance of it happening'. And thats why I dislike him, there is no struggle to the character.  no effort.. just 'I win'..  like a person hacking in counterstrike or any FPS.  

Plus, he's an ass.. ive seen scans of him killing what were essentially kids.  That it just not cool.

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hadrelius

I have a question about this guy. This is what is stated on the vine about his computer augmentation.

"His 'fight implants' include a 'combat computer' that allows him to run through a given combat situation millions of times in his mind, almost instantly covering nearly every possible result before the first punch is even thrown. He uses this information to predict the actions and or reactions of his foes, counteracting their moves almost before they even think to make them. "

My question  is, does he also read body language like Lady Shiva?

I ask because knowing every possible action of an opponent isn't enough. For example: I know a opponent may do a revers-kick so i plan for a reaction to it, but how do I know that's is what he is going to do? I know Midnighter has burst of speed, but is it continuous to where he can always react faster than his opponent so he can execute the predetermined strategy in his computer? And how does that work against characters like Cap America, Spiderman and Deadpool, who have their own unique style that reading their body language wouldn't really work?

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hadrelius

C'mon! Where r the Midnighter fanboys?

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#21  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

As I said in another thread, it's not perfectly clear how he knows what he knows. It's more than reading body language though since he's able to know moves long before the attacker makes them (so before their body starts getting into a position to attack that would broadcast their moves to someone that just read body language). For your next question, it seems that he not only knows what the possible moves are, but also the probability of them, either through just running numbers, seeing the nerve impulses in their heads, or something else. That's how he knows which of a number of moves is coming next instead of just all the possible moves and not knowing which to defend against. The speed thing was also in the other thread. I say "short bursts" because so far he's only moved so fast he couldn't be seen in spurts, not all throughout a fight, but there's nothing actually saying he couldn't. It seems that his normal speed (where he's still visible) is fast enough for him to outperform most enemies though. Since he isn't limited to reading body language the last quesittion doesn't apply. Even if he did though, "unique styles" doesn't mean reading body language doesn't work. Regardless of the style, to move certain ways your body has to get many other parts going beforehand and a body reader would see those preceding movements and it would tell them what you're trying to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Ptero said:
    "

I hate Midnighter.. his super power is 'I win if there is any chance of it happening'. And thats why I dislike him, there is no struggle to the character.  no effort.. just 'I win'..  like a person hacking in counterstrike or any FPS.  

Plus, he's an ass.. ive seen scans of him killing what were essentially kids.  That it just not cool.

"
    Thats how I've grown to think of him......
    TOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By TOD

I think many of you are missing the whole point of The Authority. The whole point of the comic is supposed to be mocking the traditional sense of what a super hero is. Yes, Midnighter is like Batman - that's the point. Just as Apollo is EXACTLY like Superman. The "Doctor" is obviously an allusion to DOCTOR Strange. The characters are made to run parallel in order to provide greater opportunities for satire. The whole point of Midnighter's power being to be able to predict every outcome of a battle before he begins - is making fun of the fact that regardless of how powerful Batman's enemies were, he was still somehow always able to slug it out with them. Although Midnighter is not my favorite charactor in The Authority - personally I liked Jeroen the best - Midnighter definitely comes in a close second. The contrasts between how he is at home with Apollo, and how savage he is when on the battlefield is just an extrordinary juxtaposition. For those of you who criticize him as being remorseless - well, The Authority deals with a very gritty reality where people die - and the whole reason Midnighter was given the powers that he has is so that he can destroy things - that is the thrust of his character. But Batman was also supposed to be the archetype of a Byronic hero in that he is away from society - almost a necessary evil force, to keep the more evil things at bay. Midnighter is awesome.

OgreMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OgreMan

Midnighter is one of my favorite characters.

Chan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chan
    Akira Overdrive said:
    "

Midnighter sure is getting alot of hate.But he is simply put better then you think he is,cause he is a gay superhero that will straight up kill your favorite superhero.Not only that his costume is bomb.

"
    Oh please Midnighter probably wont kill batman cause he thinks Bruce look hot on his tights, that damn fruit salad

costume is cool
    never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By never give up

Cool.

Avatar image for alexander_anderson
    Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I generally like him.  He's got a good visual design and a cool powerset, and I like his unapologetic marriage to Apollo.  He's the ultimate 'badass' character (by design), and that works both for and against him.  He's awesome and an asskicker, but he's also ridiculously arrogant and prickish, so much so that I sometimes find myself rooting for his opponent, just to bring him down a peg or two.  Many of his adventures play up this side of his personality in order to make him look even more kick-ass, which is annoying and somewhat dehumanizing.  He has flashes of a much more complex personality underneath the overconfident killing machine, but the need to maintain his uber-badass image by having him massacre scrub villains and grunts prevents this from being played out properly. 

Overall though, he's a good character and a nice addition to the overall superhero pantheon.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

#28  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Have you seen him in the current Authority series? I thought the confrontation with Eidolon was interesting.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#29  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I don't know if I like him..I'm on the fence.The more I read the more I start to like his personality..but his powers are silly.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Midnighter just doesnt do it for me....he isnt really all that original, don't like his personality, the character just doesnt appeal to me. Plus his powers are just silly.

But thats just my humble opinion.

Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buckshot said:
    "Have you seen him in the current Authority series? I thought the confrontation with Eidolon was interesting."
    I'll have to pick that up.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

A friend of mine told me the current Authority series sucks....

Is that not right?

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hadrelius

Hate him! They need to tone this guy down a bit. Guys like Batman can nearly do what he does without all the over-power additions. Just somebody wanting a character who can beat Batman.

Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alpha said:
    "Hate him! They need to tone this guy down a bit. Guys like Batman can nearly do what he does without all the over-power additions. Just somebody wanting a character who can beat Batman."
    I actually like that they gave him powers to justify his wank.  It's better than the "because he's the goddamned Batman!" excuse that gets shelled out when Batman does something absurd.  Why does Batman beat people he should by all rights lose to?  Because he's BATMAN!!  Why does Midnighter beat people more powerful than himself?  Because his powers are geared to just such a situation. 

It's really quite sad when a parody character makes more sense and is less ridiculous than the character he is supposed to be lampooning.
    Zinjadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zinjadu

I agree that Midnighter is a 2D character. He is a Gay-Batman! nuff said.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By King_Saturn
    Zinjadu said:
    "I agree that Midnighter is a 2D character. He is a Gay-Batman! nuff said."
    Damn Son
    T.J. Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By T.J. Magnum

Midnighter is Awesome ^^

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By John Valentine
    HATE.
    Triumphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Triumphant
    Lunacyde said:
    "Midnighter just doesnt do it for me....he isnt really all that original, don't like his personality, the character just doesnt appeal to me. Plus his powers are just silly.

But thats just my humble opinion."

Ditto
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By geraldthesloth

LOve midnighter

Chrome Zillion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Chrome Zillion

I think his powers are silly but he's not a bad character.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By Korg

I really like him as a character, but he's not my favorite member of the Authority or anything.

logan48227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By logan48227
    @Alexander Anderson:
    Damn straight!

People don't blink an eye when DC says Batman has learned 127 different martial arts and mastered forensic pathology, toxicology, tactics & strategy, escape artistry, and a host of other skills(all before he turned 40 by the way). He's also at or near the pinnacle of human physical perfection as well and all of this is OK.

But the Midnighter has an explanation for doing the same things that Batman does and people don't like him for it.

What's up with that?!?
    HaLong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HaLong

Love him, I thik he's my favourite LGBT superhero.

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By castleking
    cant stand him, dont like his attitude personality and overall character, his power set as interesting as it is, i think is over Hyped to the point that it is absurd in its description and ability to somehow be useful against meta's that outclass him physically in all aspects of his abilities. having any form of precog has a natural limit to the person physical limitation to exploit their knowledge to be useful in battle.

his physical abilities and skills seem to have bn taken from numerous street lvler's feats into an almagam super street leveler to the point that ppl think he should be in the mid range power lvl of metas.

most of his battles and abilities are over hyped and unsubstantiated and nothing more then hears say due to the fact that many of his opponents although metas are untested villians with no character build up from CIS/PIS to properly guage skillset and power lvl. the fact that midnighter kills no name cannon fodder is no reason to believe he is a high lvl meta fighter whe he kills them on the spot, pretty much any human with a gun can kill their meta opponent if the other doesnt know he is about to pull the tricker in the middle of a conversation, they simply exploit an opening in the begining of an unknown fight.

i dont like that fact he is a nothing more then a combination of batman/wolverine with both their persoanilties and the added homo erotic under tones of bats, he is just plane unoriginal.
    Psyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Psyron

Fav Wildstorm character because he simply kicks ass and loves getting it kicked as well

@logan48227 said:

" @Alexander Anderson: Damn straight!People don't blink an eye when DC says Batman has learned 127 different martial arts and mastered forensic pathology, toxicology, tactics & strategy, escape artistry, and a host of other skills(all before he turned 40 by the way). He's also at or near the pinnacle of human physical perfection as well and all of this is OK.But the Midnighter has an explanation for doing the same things that Batman does and people don't like him for it.What's up with that?!? "

@Alexander Anderson said:

" Alpha said:

"Hate him! They need to tone this guy down a bit. Guys like Batman can nearly do what he does without all the over-power additions. Just somebody wanting a character who can beat Batman."
    I actually like that they gave him powers to justify his wank.  It's better than the "because he's the goddamned Batman!" excuse that gets shelled out when Batman does something absurd.  Why does Batman beat people he should by all rights lose to?  Because he's BATMAN!!  Why does Midnighter beat people more powerful than himself?  Because his powers are geared to just such a situation.  It's really quite sad when a parody character makes more sense and is less ridiculous than the character he is supposed to be lampooning. "

TOD (1 posts) See mini bio

I think many of you are missing the whole point of The Authority. The whole point of the comic is supposed to be mocking the traditional sense of what a super hero is. Yes, Midnighter is like Batman - that's the point. Just as Apollo is EXACTLY like Superman. The "Doctor" is obviously an allusion to DOCTOR Strange. The characters are made to run parallel in order to provide greater opportunities for satire. The whole point of Midnighter's power being to be able to predict every outcome of a battle before he begins - is making fun of the fact that regardless of how powerful Batman's enemies were, he was still somehow always able to slug it out with them. Although Midnighter is not my favorite charactor in The Authority - personally I liked Jeroen the best - Midnighter definitely comes in a close second. The contrasts between how he is at home with Apollo, and how savage he is when on the battlefield is just an extrordinary juxtaposition. For those of you who criticize him as being remorseless - well, The Authority deals with a very gritty reality where people die - and the whole reason Midnighter was given the powers that he has is so that he can destroy things - that is the thrust of his character. But Batman was also supposed to be the archetype of a Byronic hero in that he is away from society - almost a necessary evil force, to keep the more evil things at bay. Midnighter is awesome.

These guys pretty much summarize the facts and why people generally like him

He also reminds me of Warsman in the Ultimate Muscle (Kinnikuman) series
    lozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By lozer
    @Psyron said:
    " Fav Wildstorm character because he simply kicks ass and loves getting it kicked as well

@logan48227 said:

" @Alexander Anderson: Damn straight!People don't blink an eye when DC says Batman has learned 127 different martial arts and mastered forensic pathology, toxicology, tactics & strategy, escape artistry, and a host of other skills(all before he turned 40 by the way). He's also at or near the pinnacle of human physical perfection as well and all of this is OK.But the Midnighter has an explanation for doing the same things that Batman does and people don't like him for it.What's up with that?!? "

@Alexander Anderson said:

" Alpha said:

I actually like that they gave him powers to justify his wank.  It's better than the "because he's the goddamned Batman!" excuse that gets shelled out when Batman does something absurd.  Why does Batman beat people he should by all rights lose to?  Because he's BATMAN!!  Why does Midnighter beat people more powerful than himself?  Because his powers are geared to just such a situation.  It's really quite sad when a parody character makes more sense and is less ridiculous than the character he is supposed to be lampooning. "

TOD (1 posts) See mini bio

These guys pretty much summarize the facts and why people generally like him  He also reminds me of Warsman in the Ultimate Muscle (Kinnikuman) series "
    I completely agree. Though for me it greatly depends on who's writing as it seems some just can't handle a gay badass. I think that's why they put so many separations between him and Apollo because it's easier that way. I just wish they'd put more character development into him being made just to destroy things, along with MUCH more into Apollo and Swift. Overall I'm okay with his killing. I like a nice killing character. The Autuhority world is VERY different from the rest of the DC universe but it's all going to hell in the most annoying way lately.

Anyway, point is: I love the guy. I love his killing. I love his screwing Apollo. But I sort of hate how some writers portray him.
    The Informant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The Informant

I like him. No reasoning, I think he's more interesting to read, because your opinion of him varies from arc to arc and that can be a fun thing.

Psyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Psyron
    @lozer: motherfvcker snapped the neck of a damn dragon
    glforthewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By glforthewin

i like him depending on the writer

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.