Follow

Midnighter

Character » Midnighter appears in 436 issues.

Midnighter is an augmented hero with superhuman physical abilities and the power to run through thousands of fight scenarios in his head before a single punch is thrown. Although he's one of the good guys, Midnighter enjoys violence and brutality and never feels more alive than when he's in the middle of a bloody brawl.

Deathstroke vs Midnighter?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Edited By Saren

I'm sure this has already been analyzed and commented on at length by half the comic book reading internet, but there was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment in Deathstroke #6 that suggests Midnighter might have been responsible for the "death" of Slade's son Grant (the first Ravager, pre-Flashpoint). This could be way off the mark, of course, but if it's true it sets the stage for an enmity between two of the biggest badasses in comic books.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

How many other characters do you know with a chin-spike? There have been a lot of new ideas coming from the new 52. Some were good and some were terrible. But if this is true and there are plans for a Deathstroke/Midnighter rivalry, I'll read the sh!t out of that.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    The pattern of his gloves matches, a trenchcoat is something Midnighter would very likely use (and a throwback to the WS days of the character), and the chinspike is, well, useful for once. Too bad this fight will probably never come to pass, at least not as Higgins would intend it to.
    Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Nerx

Sh!t just got real, but its gonna be hard to tell who is going to win in this new universe...

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ReVamp

@Nerx said:

Sh!t just got real

For real.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nerx

@ReVamp: But whaddaya think man ?

I know in their old versions Middy will babyshake DS because of his superior stats and combat prowess but on the DCnU anything can happen

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
    deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Interesting. 

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ReVamp

@Nerx said:

@ReVamp: But whaddaya think man ?

I know in their old versions Middy will babyshake DS because of his superior stats and combat prowess but on the DCnU anything can happen

Yeah, I have the same opinion. Not only is Deathstroke having more enhanced stats in the DCnU, but Midnighter also seems to be getting slightly downplayed. I mean while he did "take out" MM, Hawksmoor and Projectionist, there is nothing else to prove that his speed is all that great, not to mention the fact that he was going toe-to-toe with Tanner.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nerx

@ReVamp: But I am happy in a way that he got his badass trenchcoat, but Deathstroke's armor just got bulkier (in fact to me he gives of a master-chief ish vibe) and more 'super' soldier than before. Though Middy is impressive for resisting MM's Telepathy, then again I don't know what's gonna happen but if he can whip out that polestaff then the fight will be awesome.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ReVamp

@Nerx said:

@ReVamp: But I am happy in a way that he got his badass trenchcoat, but Deathstroke's armor just got bulkier (in fact to me he gives of a master-chief ish vibe) and more 'super' soldier than before. Though Middy is impressive for resisting MM's Telepathy, then again I don't know what's gonna happen but if he can whip out that polestaff then the fight will be awesome.

That he got it? Nighter doesn't have his coat anymore, if you're referring to the text here then its probably that he used to wear it. But yeah, the fight is pretty much out there in terms of speculation, though I have to say, they seem to be making Middy more of a speed guy, while DS seems to be becoming more of a stronger tank.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nerx

@ReVamp: True, I have a feeling while DS is more of a Stallone/Arnold mix while Middy seems like the stealthy killer who might use guerilla tactics with some hit n run.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ReVamp

@Nerx: Yeah, I agree, sort of. I hope he gets his Staff though, and maybe eventually drops the ridiculous costume.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nerx

@ReVamp: I hope he stabs DS with the chin spike then breaks it off

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ReVamp

@Nerx said:

Follows.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nerx

@ReVamp: yaay, but do you think he and apollo will get their old hair back ?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ReVamp

@Nerx said:

@ReVamp: yaay, but do you think he and apollo will get their old hair back ?

I dunno, but I hate their their new costumes, personalities, hair styles, etc etc...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Nerx said:

I dont think this fight will happen at all now that Liefeld is on the book and even if it did, would you really trust him to do a good job?
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ReVamp

@spiderbat87 said:

@Nerx said:

I dont think this fight will happen at all now that Liefeld is on the book and even if it did, would you really trust him to do a good job?

Could happen on Stormwatch, but that could be even worse.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#17  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Nerx said:

Could happen on Stormwatch, but that could be even worse.

if it does it'll be Peter Miligan writing and that will be awesome 
    Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Saren

@ReVamp: @spiderbat87: Liefeld is only writing Slade for four issues (I think) and since Lobo is going to appear in a couple I think any rivalry with Midnighter is going to be put on hold in that title. Stormwatch is getting a new writer after the next issue, Jenkins and then Milligan.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ReVamp

@CitizenBane: There's going to be a new writer? I don't believe you, you're sh*tting me Bane. Right? I don't believe the book will get a good writer... But I hope it will.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Saren

@ReVamp: Jenkins is pretty meh for me, I'm interested in what Milligan could do.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ReVamp

@CitizenBane said:

@ReVamp: Jenkins is pretty meh for me, I'm interested in what Milligan could do.

Wait, Cornell is leaving the book for real?

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nerx

@spiderbat87 said:

@Nerx said:

Actually that sounds kinda bad, lets see Liefeld likes macho things and thy turned one of his creations into a queer (shatterstar). Would he like use DS to get revenge by kicking the shit out of Middy?

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By BatteredArmor

@spiderbat87 said:

@Nerx said:

I almost hope it doesn't happen, Liefeld is not the person I want to draw Deathstroke vs. Midnighter

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
     @CitizenBane said:

@ReVamp: @spiderbat87: Liefeld is only writing Slade for four issues (I think) 

Please tell me this has been confirmed. 

And let us pray the book survives for the Deathstroke/Midnighter fight to actually see print. Even though it'd be illogical to think the fight hasn't come to pass already, given the fact that the flashbacks transpired during a time where Slade was noticeably younger and still had both eyes. I doubt he still wouldn't have tracked down 'Nighter, presumably after years. So Higgins might sneak it in as a flashback in the two remaining issues. And yeah, I'm aware that's wishful thinking.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ReVamp

I doubt that's the case Morph.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bigcimmerian

And what is Lobo going to do in Deathstroke book?

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @ReVamp said:

Same here, I just hope the fight won't be forgotten. 

@BigCimmerian said:

Why, job to Deathstroke, of course.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ReVamp

Yeah, but I'd rather the fight be forgotten than written by Liefeld. *Spits* Ideally, DS would never have found out about who killed his son and now he'd find out about it in a crossover. Ideally.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bigcimmerian

@Morpheus_ said:

@ReVamp said:

Same here, I just hope the fight won't be forgotten.

@BigCimmerian said:

Why, job to Deathstroke, of course.

And just how Deathstroke is going to deal with Lobo? :)

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
    @BlackArmor

@spiderbat87 said:

@Nerx said:

I almost hope it doesn't happen, Liefeld is not the person I want to draw Deathstroke vs. Midnighter

QFT. Keep Liefeld as far away from this as possible.
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @BigCimmerian said:

And just how Deathstroke is going to deal with Lobo? :)

No Caption Provided
    Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Saren

@Morpheus_ said:

@CitizenBane said:

@ReVamp: @spiderbat87: Liefeld is only writing Slade for four issues (I think)

Please tell me this has been confirmed.

And let us pray the book survives for the Deathstroke/Midnighter fight to actually see print. Even though it'd be illogical to think the fight hasn't come to pass already, given the fact that the flashbacks transpired during a time where Slade was noticeably younger and still had both eyes. I doubt he still wouldn't have tracked down 'Nighter, presumably after years. So Higgins might sneak it in as a flashback in the two remaining issues. And yeah, I'm aware that's wishful thinking.

Nope, I was wrong :/

Maybe Midnighter plucked out Slade's eye. And then maybe Slade whomped him on the head with that overcompensating sword, causing permanent brain damage. That would explain a lot of what's happening in Stormwatch right now.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @CitizenBane: Can't say I see Midnighter depriving Slade both of his son and his eye, that would make him far too crucial in Slade's past. And if the fight ever sees print I doubt Deathstroke would lose. Righteous anger and all that. 

Even though due the way Midnighter worded it, they seem to know one another (and not just by reputation) well enough to have clashed swords before.
    RayeGunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RayeGunn

Have to agree with some others. though a fight between Deathstroke and Midnighter would be all kinds of awesome from anyone else, I hope Liefeld doesn't so much as touch Midnighter. He's still new in the DCU, has already had to deal with some wall bangingly stupid dialogue being put in his mouth, and already needs to be fixed, in my opinion, I don't want the situation made worse. I think there is still a possibility that they may fight before Higgins leaves, or at least I sincerely hope so. If the fight DOES happen before Higgins is gone, that means Liefeld doesn't have an excuse to bring him back any time soon. Barring that, Milligan seems to especially like Midnighter, so it is a possibility Deathstroke could show up in Stormwatch....

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JamDamage

Now that we're 8 issues in on Stormwatch there still isn't much to show that Midnighter is near what he was in Wildstorm U. I would think that with the combining of the Universes one of the things us readers would want to see are some fights between the combined characters. Instead they give us Grifter vs Midnighter in weak fight. Looked good, but weak none the less. I wonder how long it's going to take before Midnighter fights Batman or Deathstroke. Or Superman vs Apollo. What the S vs A does happen I'm going to guess that Supes begins with getting his ass handed to him then Apollo just runs out of juice and gets stomped.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By cameron83

well for that apollo thing i honestly think superman should easily beat him,not easily,but with not much difficulty....and midnighter vs deathstroke,i would say that pre new 52 midnighter curbstomps......but new 52,i say deathstroke,and i don't think i want midnighter too intertwined with deathstroke,possibly killing his son is 1 thing,and i don't really care about his son,but i don't want midnighter taking down iconic dc characters....like taking down dexstarr,i'm fine with,but he cannot take down atrocitus,or etrigan,or deathstroke,i honestly don't see that happening,but the world's greatest swordsman,of course midnighter can beat that guy,but not deathstroke....and i don't want midnighter taking down deathstroke,i only think that he killed his son,i think that is enough,i just don't care about grant,and if grant is still alive,then maybe we can see a grant vs midnighter,or red hood...but vs deathstroke,no,besides i just don't want midnighter playing a huge role in deathstroke's life

gumflabica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gumflabica

wow! this is crazy! but i think that even Midnighter is going to have a VERY tough time with Deathstroke. wanting revenge for the death of his son and his impressive prep skills combined, plus the fact that middy probably wont know he is coming, makes it possible that Middy is going to get his ass kicked by somebody that isn't using psionics or is superman level.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.