Does any other artist Draw Like Michael Turner?

#1 Posted by DEGRAAF (7812 posts) - - Show Bio

I love his drawings. I didnt even know about him till about a month before he passed. I really want to find somenoe else to draaws like him. Anyone got any suggestions? 

#2 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much every Top Cow or Aspen artist.  Michael Turner's work on the first few years of Witchblade (and subsequently Fathom & Soulfire) were so popular, that all their artists have pretty much been striving to achieve the same look ever since.  Keu Cha, Eduardo Francisco, David Finch, Marc Silvestri... all have followed in his style (or adapted their own styles) because it was a popular & sexy look that sold books.

#3 Posted by DEGRAAF (7812 posts) - - Show Bio

thanks 
#4 Posted by GOUKI (437 posts) - - Show Bio

yes michael turner's drawings are very good espeically his women.....nice..
#5 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: 
 David Finch

Joe Benitez

Marc Silvestri

Keu Cha
Any Park
#6 Posted by GOUKI (437 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
oh okay, i never knew Lol 

yea these look good too, well atleast these women dont look super skinny...
#7 Posted by DEGRAAF (7812 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
"

Thanks 
#8 Posted by Aspenite (892 posts) - - Show Bio

You also should check out Talent Caldwell.

#9 Posted by Dane (10492 posts) - - Show Bio

Marc Silvestri is the closest to his style imo.

#10 Posted by Java Lad (106 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dane said:
" Marc Silvestri is the closest to his style imo. "
And he was around before Michael Turner.  

@xerox-kitty said:
" Pretty much every Top Cow or Aspen artist.  Michael Turner's work on the first few years of Witchblade (and subsequently Fathom & Soulfire) were so popular, that all their artists have pretty much been striving to achieve the same look ever since.  Keu Cha, Eduardo Francisco, David Finch, Marc Silvestri... all have followed in his style (or adapted their own styles) because it was a popular & sexy look that sold books. "

Marc Silvestri has been on Uncanny, Wolverine and others from way back in 87. Marc was one of the co-creators of Image (along with Jim Lee, Todd Mcfarlane, Eric Larsen, Rob Liefeild, Whilce Portacio and Jim Valentino) where Turner's first run was with Image

Big fan of Turner's work but his style has come from working with the Image crew IMO. Turner's ability to have a gritty feel like Silvestri and also a playful look like J Scott Campbell made him a great artist. 
I know its picky but Silvestri is one of my top 3 artist ever so I just wanted to get the facts right =)

#11 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio
@Java Lad: There are no facts to get right.  Silvestri's style on Uncanny is radically different from his style post-Image.  If you look at his work ow then there's no doubting the influence that Top Cow & Michael Turner had on his art.  It's only natural for him to work with others and adjust his style accordingly.  But the question asked was 'are there other artists like Michael Turner'.  Not 'who came first' ;)
#12 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

i like his art. anytime is see pin-up style the first thing that comes to mind is Adam Hughes,
probably because of comicartcommunity

#13 Posted by Aspenite (892 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @Java Lad: There are no facts to get right.  Silvestri's style on Uncanny is radically different from his style post-Image.  If you look at his work ow then there's no doubting the influence that Top Cow & Michael Turner had on his art.  It's only natural for him to work with others and adjust his style accordingly.  But the question asked was 'are there other artists like Michael Turner'.  Not 'who came first' ;) "
Yeah, that´s true. When you compare for example Cyberforce: The Tin Men of War (1993) with Hunter-Killer (2005) you will come to the conclusion that Hunter-Killer looks more like Turner style.
#14 Edited by Java Lad (106 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aspenite: This was not meant to start a fight on who copied who. What I was trying to say was its more likely that Turner's art was influenced by SIlvestri than the other way around. I am a fan of both artists and I remember when Turner first hit Image and I was blown away by his art. 
As to who is similar to his style now, that is a lot harder for me to say. I have been out of comics (until recently) for about 2 years. I am still caching up. From what I remember :I see more J Scott Campbell in his work than Silvestri, specially in female faces. 

#15 Posted by Aspenite (892 posts) - - Show Bio
@Java Lad: I get your point. And honestly I like both artists too because they have so similar styles. In the end it only counts what you like to see on a page. Every time I see a Marc Silvestri drawing (currently in Image United) I´m reminded of the good times with Michael Turner. And that makes me happy.
#16 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

Always thought Ed Benes was pretty close to his style...

With the Justice League

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.