Follow

Mera

Character » Mera appears in 995 issues.

Mera of Xebel is an Atlantean and the famous love interest and wife of Aquaman. She hails from the penal colony of Xebel in the Bermuda Triangle of Atlantean exiles and was tasked with the mission to kill the King of Atlantis - before she abandoned her quest when she met and fell in love with Aquaman. Mera has been at Aquaman's side ever since, proving to be his most valuable partner in battle and in life. She has also spent time leading Atlantis and helping Xebelians.

Mera and the Mermaids - Yemaya and Sedna

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

No Caption Provided
    This will be the second last (or maybe last) article in this series as based on the Amanda Adams book.  As I have been reading this book I have discovered that I have actully enjoyed writing the comparisons with Mera more the book itself, but such is the case sometimes with books (and I must say that the new agey feel of this one is starting to wear on me.)  I had been comparing the mermaids one by one as they came, but upon reading the Yemaya and Sedna chapters I figured they would work better together (there is a following chapter on the Medieval depiction of Mermaids which got no extra specific examples to work from.)  The idea of comparing Mera, a fictitious character, against these mermaid like creatures hit a wall here for me.  Previously I have been able to find a few similarities between Mera and the folk tales, but with these two the similarities are harder because these two legends act as something of mother goddesses for their people.  Yemaya has her followers in the Caribbean and has expanded from there, whereas Sedna is herself based in the Arctic, and remains fairly localized there.  And despite being mother goddesses they differ somewhat as well in what they do for their people.  Yemaya represents the ocean as a symbol of motherhood and as a protector of children whereas Sedna represents the ocean as a place of sustenance.  Thus Yemaya is more forgiving of the lives she affects and Sedna is more temperamental.  So I guess thus far in this series I have hit a sort of stumbling block in comparing Mera to these two.  Other than some common feminine traits there is not much at all which binds the three of them, but it is interesting nonetheless to examine the female denizens of the sea.    

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.