Follow

Men in Black

Team » Men in Black appears in 104 issues.

The Men in Black is an organization that polices and monitors events which should remain unknown to the public. They work in secret, covering their tracks to make sure people do not know of their existence.

Will Will Smith Be In Men in Black 3?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

According to Variety, Will Smith has some interesting choices coming up in his immediate future, and his decision could affect the future of Men In Black 3. He must choose whether to do Men in Black 3 or an upcoming movie called, The City That Sailed. Although Men in Black 3 is a close project to him, so is The City That Sailed since Smith's production company, Overbrook films, developed the film.

Penned by Andrew Niccol, "City that Sailed" revolves around a New York street magician who is unhappily separated from his young daughter. The girl, who moves to London, finds magic candles that make her wishes comes true, with unintended consequences: The island of Manhattan separates from the continent and floats toward England, bringing her dad ever closer.

The film is supposed to be along the lines of fantasy-drama, but as of now, no director is attached. If he takes this job, he will not be able to do Men in Black 3 and vice versa. 

So, if Men in Black 3 is sans Will Smith, the movie won't happen, or it's going to be no where near as good as the original. Will Smith made that film as enjoyable as it was, especially his dynamic with the straight-laced partner "K." Without him, they'll try and replace a him with an actor that's "just like him." And many times when studios try to replace an actor with someone they think is comparable, it falls flat... big time. (I'm looking at you Jonathan Brandis in Neverending Story 2) So, there's a 50/50 chance here that the only time from now on we could see Will Smith attached to Men in Black is in the comics... if they ever make a come back, and although The City That Sailed sounds interesting, it would be exciting to see the old MIB team hit the screen once again.  

What do you guys think? Should Will Smith pick The City That Sailed or Men in Black 3? What would you like to see in MIB3?

Bathory1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bathory1313

I wonder if Rip Torn will be in it... I mean he did just rob a bank !!! YIKES!

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Bruce Vain

Uhhh it's gonna be hard looking at Jonathan Brandis. Since he's uh dead and all. 

But yea last time they tried replacing someone we got Omar Epps instead of Wesley Snipes in Major League 2 and that blew huge chunks. 

So yeah I would like to see Will and everyone else return for MiB 3.  The City That Sailed sounds like a decent & original movie , but I think I would much prefer for another MiB.
    Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Tyler Starke

Why can't he do both! I have an idea! do Men in black three after he films the city that sailed lol i mean what the hell?, Does will smith have a young daughter in real life, because if so we all know exactly which movie he will choose, the one with his real life daughter playing a role in a movie.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

course he'll go through with it. the shackles he will get will be enormous.

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Joe Venom

Please don't do Men in Black 3! if it s done it "Will" be in 3D, and it "Will" have unnecessary scenes to compensate it, and weird aliens dancing for no reason. If Smith is wise he'll stay away from MiB3 and let it go straight to DVD as it should.

harpothedope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By harpothedope

I think Smith should take the role in Sails. It sounds more like the movies hes been doing lately and I personally would love to see it. Also Im really skeptical of how this MIB movie. I loved the first movie, and I watched the TV show (I was young), but when the sequel came around, i was left wanting. Im afraid of a continuation of diminishing returns, i dont want to see purely another movie with Jay and Kay, i want a good movie. I dont want a movie made thats just going to trick me into spending my money because it has characters i like. I guess that if I was in Will Smith's shoes, I would choose The City that Sailed, because it seems like a solid movie, but knowing Smiths career, I am not to worried about him making the wrong decision.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By goldenkey

Men in Black is what made Smith a take it to the bank movie star.  If its a good script then he owes it to them 
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Green ankh

Two lousy film.   
    which will suck least?  skip themk and do Hitch 2.  naa that sucked too. And Wild Wild West  Oops that was terrable, I am Legend ops another bad one. I know Handcock 2 !! forgot that stunk too.  

How about Bad Boys 3 or a second I, Robot ? i'd down with that.
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Decept-O

Wait...there was a Neverending Story 2?     Err...your argument is rather...suspect on many levels.  OooKaayyy.... 

Regardless, I'd be surprised if Will Smith didn't do MIB3.  While he gets on my nerves and most of his movies SUCK like Green Ankh pointed out (thanks for that dirty laundry list Green Ankh), I did like MIB and Smith was meant for those movies.  Just wish he'd tone it down for all his other roles.  

It's usually, "Hi!  I'm the overbearing and overcharacterized Will Smith playing Will Smith in this movie.  I don't say or do anything of substance I'm just here to make you remember I'm the annoyed black man in this movie.  Enjoy the $8.50 you just spent plus the action you won't get from your GF tonight.  Love, Will Smith."   

I'm an ass.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DEGRAAF

I would rather see him in MIB3 with out a doubt
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By cascadeking09

if he's not in it we can all kiss min in black 3 good bye for good.

Avatar image for crimsoncomedian
    CrimsonComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CrimsonComedian

I think he should return to comedy for a while. He's been doing dramas and that for a good while now.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @Green ankh said:
    " How about Bad Boys 3 or a second I, Robot ? i'd down with that. "

Actually, Bay , Martin, and Will have been talking about doing another. :D 

I think there have been talks about doing another I,Robot. But because that movie was so good. I think it would be best to not do a sequel. I would hate to get disappointed.
    The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By The Psyentist
    @Decept-O said:
    " Wait...there was a Neverending Story 2?"

There was three. I know, I was a big fan growing up. But the only reason I actually liked it was the flying "dog" thing...
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15  Edited By jakob187
    @The Psyentist said:
    " @Decept-O said:
    " Wait...there was a Neverending Story 2?"
    There was three. I know, I was a big fan growing up. But the only reason I actually liked it was the flying "dog" thing... "
    ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 

FALCOR!!!
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Decept-O
    @The Psyentist:
    Thanks for that 4-1-1, Psyentist.  That is sad.  That flying dog..thing..as you pointed out...was too stupid for words.  Yes, I was older when I made the mistake of watching that crapfest but seriously, why couldn't they have used a real dragon?  Too much to ask?  Here I go griping about nothing.
    SirSparkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SirSparkington

Will Tommy Lee Jones be in it?

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Jotham

Good lord, I don't think that other movie could sound much worse.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.