cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop
    DateWUBI # 34:View:Attached to Forum:Back/ Next
    10/11/10Megaton(Blog) (Forum)Megaton(Back) (Next)

We all have trade paperback (TPB) collections we'd like to see. Here's one of mine:

Proposed Title:Megaton.
    Alternate Titles:
    • Megaton Comics
    • Megaton Explosion
    Collecting 10 Issues:
    • Megaton (1983) #1-8
    • Megaton Comics: Explosion (1987) #1.
    • Megaton Holiday Special (1993) #1.
    Covers: (click to enlarge)
    TPB Cover: Megaton #2
    TPB Cover: Megaton #2

Megaton was an anthology by Gary Carlson, Erik Larsen, and others. Personally, I'd like to see this TPB, just because it has earlier versions of current characters like Savage Dragon, Vanguard, Berzerker, Ethrian, Ultragirl, and more that I've come to know through Image'sSavage Dragon. I've sought these issues pretty much since SD started, and have only been able to find half of them. The TPB would be a fun read. I particularly want to read about Matt Scott who I assume is called Megaton, but I don't actually remember. I've read the issues I have at some point, but it was years ago. I've been waiting until I have all the issues to read the whole story, so I haven't gone back to them. (Upate 7/28/20: I recently ordered the missing issues. Now, I just have to dig the rest of them out of storage.)

The cover on this one is a tough call. Any of the first four issues of Megaton are good candidates, and Megaton Comics: Explosion #1 shows more of the characters involved in the anthology. Megaton #3 or Megaton Holiday Special #1 might bring more reader recognition, with Savage Dragon and Vanguard on the former, and Vanguard with Megaton on the other. However, an update of the Megaton #3 cover was used on a Wizard Ace Edition cover. I'd be really tempted to go with that cover anyway, and that might be the cover it winds up with (or it's updated version), since Erik Larsen would likely be the one to reprint it if this TPB ever saw the light of day.* Aside from that, Megaton #1 is a solid image, and going with the first issue cover is always a no nonsense way to go. Megaton #4 gives more of an idea of what the story of Megaton is, but for my personal taste, I'd go with the cover of Megaton #2.

*Update 2: 7/28/20: I've assumed this, as Larsen was somewhat involved with the Big Bang series at Image, through Mighty Man stories, and a three-issue story with Savage Dragon guest starring. What I did not know until a month or two ago is that Big Bang is still alive and well! Big Bang Adventures is being published through IndyPlanet (four issues so far- get them now!), and Megaton is the cover feature of Issue #3. So, is it possible? Could a TPB come about through IndyPlanet? Only time will tell. But I still want to know...

Would you buy it? Let me know in the comments, and thanks for reading.

More WUBI:

Back/ Next#Which WUBI will it be:
    Back:33.What If? Spider-Man, Vol. 1-3.
    Next:35.Batman Family: Legends of the Dead Earth.

.WUBI Index.

Thanks again!

Megaton
    Megaton
    J1ml33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By J1ml33

I would buy it out of curiosity and also because I like Erik Larson`s work (both art style and ideals and the savage dragon of course ...!) 

Savage Dragon #145
    Savage Dragon #145

mostly for things like this that make it worth while thanks Erik !
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop
    @J1ml33: I love Larsen's work!  ...Not a huge fan of his politics, but at least there was a plausible reason for Obama to be in the book.  Love the way Larsen makes the cover look worn on that.
    J1ml33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By J1ml33
    @cbishop:
    its classic and Mind if I ask you a question tell me why do so many people want every comic book artist to be perfect ? what is wrong with ones own individual style a bad thing .just tell me that why on every rob liefiled  or JR JR  or Greg land . just wandering what you thinking on the subject .
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cbishop
    @J1ml33: I think people just like to complain, or to sound "smart" by deriding the work of others.  I've said before: I don't draw well, so I rarely critique art.  BUT: Keith Giffen's art often makes my eyes hurt - seriously.  His art is so busy it's hard to look at sometimes, but it's WORTH IT for the sight gags often thrown in.  I have also said that there are problems with Liefeld's art, BUT the guy draws tons better than I do, so I have no real complaints.  I admire the guy for the sheer number of characters he put out there when Image started.

I've found that for me, the art can be pretty basic, as long as it tells a good story.  Oni Press' Love Fights is a good example of that.  I'm also realizing that as much as I love superheroes, I tend to read those comics once and put them away.  The ones I went back to over-and-over again were the cartoony books, like Pink Panther, Road Runner, and that sort of thing.  Pretty basic art there too.
    Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
    Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

I want a Megaton TPB. So, get on it. ;)
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cbishop
    @Cezar_TheScribe: If it were up to me, we'd have one by now. :)
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cbishop

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: That's kind of the point of the feature. Mostly, I'm showcasing older comics here, wondering if newer readers would be interested in checking them out. I've gotten the most responses on the trades I suggested for the various issues of What If?. Mostly, it's just to have fun imagining the TPB on my shelf, and say, "Hey, I thought this was cool. Do you?"

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cbishop

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: Fair enough. I only have a few of the single issues, and they were interesting. Larsen's writing skills were evident, even early on, so the stories were interesting enough, but I don't think he really had a chance to go anywhere with it. I'd buy it, just because I'm a fan of Larsen's work, but I don't know that everyone would.

I think it would have had a better chance at sales, had it been released when Image was publishing Big Bang. There was good buzz about that book, and a lot of the guys who did Megaton were doing Big Bang.

AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By AskaniSon295

I bought megaton # 8 because it had the first ever appearance of youngblood it was in and ad and "Tempo" who eventually was in the Mutant Liberation Front the adversaries of X-Force was on the team that pic was a rarity. still don't know what happened to that comic.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cbishop

@AskaniSon295 said:

I bought megaton # 8 because it had the first ever appearance of youngblood it was in and ad and "Tempo" who eventually was in the Mutant Liberation Front the adversaries of X-Force was on the team that pic was a rarity. still don't know what happened to that comic.

I knew about the ad, but I didn't know about Tempo of the MLF being in it (I hadn't looked that close/ don't know the characters that well).

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped for minor updates. Also, the images aren't popping up for me when I click on them. Is that happening for anyone else?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.