Follow

Maverick

Character » Maverick appears in 365 issues.

Christopher Nord, better known as Maverick, was a mercenary for hire who was once a member of the CIA's Team X and later a subject of Weapon X. For a time he operated as Agent Zero until he was de-powered following the Decimation.

Maverick in the Wolverine movie, your thoughts?

methias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By methias

First off, just wanted to say hi to everybody, haven't been on in about 8 months.

So what are people thinking of them changing Maverick to a Korean rather than being a German freedom-fighter? I wasn't (too) angry when they put Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury, but there is really no basis for them to change who Maverick is. Anyone want to take any guesses as to what they are going to do with his powers and backstory?

Maximum Damage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Maximum Damage

I personally hate that they changed maverick into a korean. I mean i hate it when they change characters in movies based on comicbooks. Like in thegeneration x movie when they took out chamber and replaced him with a weakling. I think that if there willing to change his nationality then they most likely will change hos powers although hopefully they won't screw him up.

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By ComicCrazy

I thought maverick was always a fairly good character he was even better when he was changed to agent zero and personally i dont really mind that he is korean i mean its not the worst change ever it probably has something to so with the storyline .

Crackdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Crackdown

As long as its in keeping with the character and their storyline, I think it wil be fine

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty
    Crackdown said:
    "As long as its in keeping with the character and their storyline, I think it wil be fine"

Same here.  I always liked Nord's character and enjoyed his 12 issue series years ago.  I always thought he was such a minor character that he would warrant any air time, but he's been in both Wolverine & The X-Man and now Origins too. 

So in a way, I'm glad that he's going to be featured... and yeah, it is weird that they've cast Daniel Henney, but as long as he can act and do a good job with the character then I wont mind him being Korean instead of European.  After all, most people seem to have recovered from Michael Clarke Duncan being cast as Kingpin, because he did a bloody good job.
    XSundowNX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By XSundowNX

I love maverick, he is my favourite charicter in the whole wolverine saga and to be honest i was quite devestated to see him ruined in the film.  (stop reading now if you dont want the film spoiled :P) I didnt care he was korean rather than german its just they ruined everything about him.

For a start why is he evil?  yes maverick has killed people in cold blood and all that but he isnt a bad guy.
    Where are his powers? as far as i can tell the film makers thought his power was being able to shoot a gun, realy realy  well (which is kinda cool) but then in the sniper scene his misses wolverine a few times, inconsistency or what!?!?!.  Also was the whole 'i can jump realy far' thing surposed tto be a power? if it is then i think thats just strange and a bit crap.
    And last why why why does he die? you cant just ruin a whole storyline like that, it isnt even a heroic death... its just like im impaled on a helicopter and now im going to be blown up.

I have chosen to ignore the fact they put him in the film and pretend he isnt agent zero and just some assassin... you can probaly guess from my attitude that i didnt like the movie anyway but what they did to maverick just pushed me over the edge and now i hate it.
    Anyone else feel this way?
    XRiskyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By XRiskyX

I noticed the name but that was all what reminded me of Maverick. For me it wasn't Maverick/Agent Zero but some random guy. he didn't even have the "Agent" in his name. Different looks, different powers, even slightly different name. Is it even confirmed that this Korean guy was supposed to be Maverick?

XSundowNX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By XSundowNX

I see... so we saying that maybe it isnt actually zero? well i dont know i think that the writers quite obviously ment it to be him, otherwise they would have given him a different name, and in the film he was just called 'Zero' because that quicker than saying Agent Zero everytime.  We think we can assume that he isnt just 'Zero'... but i hope your right, and somwhere out there in the imaginary marvel film universe he is still allive.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#9  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Nord got burned (For Real), but yeah I didn't like him much in the movie he kind of got on my nerves, especially when he shot that old couple, that was just harsh

TOAA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TOAA
    XSundowNX said:
    "I love maverick, he is my favourite charicter in the whole wolverine saga and to be honest i was quite devestated to see him ruined in the film.  (stop reading now if you dont want the film spoiled :P) I didnt care he was korean rather than german its just they ruined everything about him.
    For a start why is he evil?  yes maverick has killed people in cold blood and all that but he isnt a bad guy.
    Where are his powers? as far as i can tell the film makers thought his power was being able to shoot a gun, realy realy  well (which is kinda cool) but then in the sniper scene his misses wolverine a few times, inconsistency or what!?!?!.  Also was the whole 'i can jump realy far' thing surposed tto be a power? if it is then i think thats just strange and a bit crap.
    And last why why why does he die? you cant just ruin a whole storyline like that, it isnt even a heroic death... its just like im impaled on a helicopter and now im going to be blown up.

I have chosen to ignore the fact they put him in the film and pretend he isnt agent zero and just some assassin... you can probaly guess from my attitude that i didnt like the movie anyway but what they did to maverick just pushed me over the edge and now i hate it.
    "
    He didn't miss. He was aiming for the old people. He hit them both with kill shots.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    TOAA said:
    "XSundowNX said:
    "I love maverick, he is my favourite charicter in the whole wolverine saga and to be honest i was quite devestated to see him ruined in the film.  (stop reading now if you dont want the film spoiled :P) I didnt care he was korean rather than german its just they ruined everything about him.

"
    He didn't miss. He was aiming for the old people. He hit them both with kill shots.
    "
    Wow, poor guys, first they see Wolverine naked and then they get shot...man bad day
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Big deal, he's Korean.... Whoopty do, he did fine.

TOAA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TOAA
    The old lady didn't seem to mind at all about naked Wolverine. 
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    TOAA said:
    "The old lady didn't seem to mind at all about naked Wolverine. "
    The old lady was "Wow" the guy was like "He's in my barn"
    TOAA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TOAA
    inferiorego said:
    "Big deal, he's Korean.... Whoopty do, he did fine."
    I agree.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    TOAA said:
    "inferiorego said:
    I agree.
    "
    Yeah I don't care for the guy (Movie or Comics) he just never was intresting to me, he was cool in the movie with all the stunts but was jerk and a (Insert Bad Word Here) so yeah not really a big fan
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    War Killer said:
    "TOAA said:
    "inferiorego said:
    I agree.
    "
    Yeah I don't care for the guy (Movie or Comics) he just never was intresting to me, he was cool in the movie with all the stunts but was jerk and a (Insert Bad Word Here) so yeah not really a big fan"
    poopybrain?
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    inferiorego said:
    "War Killer said:
    "TOAA said:
    "inferiorego said:
    I agree.
    "
    Yeah I don't care for the guy (Movie or Comics) he just never was intresting to me, he was cool in the movie with all the stunts but was jerk and a (Insert Bad Word Here) so yeah not really a big fan"
    poopybrain?"
    Inserted
    TOAA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TOAA
    I think that he was in the movie for just the right amount of time. Which to me, seemed to run hand in hand with how long he ever seems to be in the comics at a single time. He is an interesting character in both movie and in comics but since he has no staying power, I do not mind any of the changes made as far as personality. As far as no longer being German, I honestly do not understand this in people. It happened when Will Smith was given the role in I Am Legend. Who cares? He also said he was offered the role for Superman but turned it down immediately because of the race issue. 
    XSundowNX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By XSundowNX
    TOAA said:
    "XSundowNX said:

"
    "
    Very sorry my mistake his does hit them both... if thats who was aiming for... why he was aiming for them i dont know seen as he has a clear shot on wolverine at the time.

Umm did i say at some point imply that i didnt like the race change? :S no i didnt, in fact i said that this didnt bother me.

But i can tell most people arnt that bothered about all the changes that were made to him though.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    TOAA said:
    "I think that he was in the movie for just the right amount of time. Which to me, seemed to run hand in hand with how long he ever seems to be in the comics at a single time. He is an interesting character in both movie and in comics but since he has no staying power, I do not mind any of the changes made as far as personality. As far as no longer being German, I honestly do not understand this in people. It happened when Will Smith was given the role in I Am Legend. Who cares? He also said he was offered the role for Superman but turned it down immediately because of the race issue. "
    Agreed: The movie was called Wolverine: Origins... Not Agent Zero, not Deadpool, not Gambit. It was about him.
    XSundowNX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By XSundowNX
    inferiorego said:
    "TOAA said:
    "I think that he was in the movie for just the right amount of time. Which to me, seemed to run hand in hand with how long he ever seems to be in the comics at a single time. He is an interesting character in both movie and in comics but since he has no staying power, I do not mind any of the changes made as far as personality. As far as no longer being German, I honestly do not understand this in people. It happened when Will Smith was given the role in I Am Legend. Who cares? He also said he was offered the role for Superman but turned it down immediately because of the race issue. "
    Agreed: The movie was called Wolverine: Origins... Not Agent Zero, not Deadpool, not Gambit. It was about him."
    Yes i see your point but that doesnt give them permission to disregard the other characters storys and powers.  But i totaly agree with the screen time given to him TOAA, as much as i love him he is best kept as a backing character.  
    IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By IcePrince_X

Daniel Henney did a good job. It is not much of a race issue for me. In fact, it was like all the Team X is a United Benetton Model group where in all races are somewhat present. Also Daniel Henney does have European blood in him, he is half-British. I did like the way he was built up in the movie but a bit dissappointed when all they showed him doing is just shooting at people and a puppy of William Stryker.  But a rate from 1 to 5 he gets a 3.75 from me.

Shipwreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shipwreck

I was upset. I  was hoping for somone not so Chicken. Maverick would have been more like bring it, than running away. 

Delta Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Delta Red

I admit i haven't read anything with Maverick/A. Zero , but in the movie he was badass, one of the best things from the movie, along with Sabretooth and Wade (not including THAT Deadpool).

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Korg

Agent Zero was cool in the movie, he just wasn't Maverick. I like Maverick, and this was pretty disappointing for me. Ah well.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AngelFrost

I took a shine to him in the movie.
    But I was probably biased due to his incredibly good looks ^^

You gotta admit, he was soo hot!

But it would have been better for him to have more lines, and the powers since most of the Team had powers.

whatwitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By whatwitch
    @AngelFrost: He needed more air time without having to die.
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By EdwardWindsor

I wanted proper old school weapon x maverick not agabet zero , once again they basicly screwed the whole timeline team ethic since people where in the x team that shouldnt of been , been in certain satges of tehre life when they should be etc it really annoys me that they do this kind of crap

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AngelFrost
    @whatwitch said:
    " @AngelFrost: He needed more air time without having to die. "
    True, True, 

(: I would have loved him in the sequal.
    Well, you never know, the movies are unpredictable.
    Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By Silver Knight75

He could have been much better.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.