Follow

Mat Elfring

Person » Mat Elfring is credited in 2 issues.

Mat Elfring is a Chicago-born writer and teacher with a degree in film from Columbia College Chicago, and editor of Comic Vine!

A long sorted tale, now in blog form Part 2

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Part One: In case you missed it.
    http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/inferiorego/a-long-sorted-tale-now-in-blog-form/87-39595/

Two months have gone by since the first part of this blog and things have really kicked up. A lot has changed since the last time I mentioned anything Bunch of Capes (BOC) related. It has been months since my dealings with Captain Douche of the S.S. Idontknowhowtorunapublishingcompany, and Matt and I thought we should try and sell this book on our own. (This takes place back at Wizard World Chicago 08). We brought the first 5 pages, all of which you've hopefully seen. We get to the hotel room and meet up with Matt Anderson, Eric Hutchins and Will Pfeifer. Matt & Eric are coming off of a high from White Picket Fences doing extremely well on the indy circuit and they were both signed up to do some more work for Ape Entertainment. Matt & Eric were going to meet with the guys at Ape and Eric, who was my drinking buddy after high school, decided to bring back the olden days by bringing up a handle of Jack to my room and essentially saying, "We're finishing this BEFORE we go to the bar." Crap... We pound it down, head back down to the bar,  watch the fanboys harrass Azzerello and Johns who were sitting at the table next to us. Then we headed out to meet with Ape, at another bar. Needless to say, I made an ass out of myself by ripping into their golden boy Matt Anderson with cussing galore. Both the owners of that company who met me that night were ashamed to know me that night. After that, I didn't even try and sell the book, no way. I made casual conversation with the Ape guys the next two nights, trying to retain credibility by talking about a lot of Doctor Who and BSG. I supposedly was going to have a story in one of their anthologies (which as I look back after sending in a really good script, I think they were just trying to be nice) and more work again supposedly coming down the line for me.

WWC didn't go to well, obviously. Anderson and I planned on working on a few projects together for a website called "HoodWinc" I had written a few 8 page stories for the site and was going to write an article for them. (The article ended up being posted here & winning a blog contest, it was the one on Captain America and Death) Matt sent me to their production manager named #$ (I leave this guy's name out). #$ and I do NOT get along, and never have. The first time I met him he told my girlfriend to leave me for him, in which, I threatened him with violence. However, for the sake of the website, I put our B.S. aside and planned on being as professional as possible. #$ knocked me down a notch every chance he got. He was extremely nit-picky on stuff that didn't mattered and took pride in it. I couldn't work in that atmosphere and left the group.

Soon after, Matt Jordan left Bunch of Capes, and left me without an artist for any of my books. Back to square one. I checked a bunch of websites, most artists wanted to be paid upfront and were complete d!cks to me, even after I explained the awards I've won in writting (not just the one from CV) and that I have a BA in Screenwriting from one of the best film schools in the country. I almost stopped right there......

Part 3 later...

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By pixelized

OMG!!!!

[=

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Slinger

I really hope the end of this tale is "...and I lived happily ever after."

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    Slinger said:
    "I really hope the end of this tale is "...and I lived happily ever after.""
    It gets a whole of hell of a lot better.... The sunny part of the story is part 3.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    aztek the lost said:
    "wait...you sat next to Azzarello and didn't even join the harassing?and how long ago did the end of this occur?"
    I have great respect for those guys and the last thing I want to do is talk to them about comics when I can obviously see they're trying to relax and have drinks. Plus, I was already harassing Pfeifer to demand to retake control of Aquaman.
    This was last summer at Wizard World Chicago at our hotel bar.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I am no legend of writing sir, just a guy with years of experience in film trying to break into comics. Harass me all you want, it makes my workday more bearable.

I still haven't talked about "Gorgator Night" or rebecoming an alcoholic.... Part 3 is the part with the most alcohol abuse.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.