Follow

Master Chief

Character » Master Chief appears in 46 issues.

Master Chief is the main character of Halo comic series by Dark Horse Comics . He is a genetically augmented super soldier for the UNSC and is one of the few survivors of the SPARTAN II project. He is one of the greatest if not the greatest soldier in UNSC history.

Confusion

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Sparda

(I would put this in the Quick Question and Answer Thread, but it's more geared towards the games).

I played and beat Halo 1 and 3, but I skipped Halo 2 (though I've read a lot of the books). So, I'm a little confused how Chief takes that fall from the atmosphere, but subsequently in the game (and in the books after he gets the Mark V armor I think that it's like this too, correct me if I'm wrong) dies from much smaller falls, bullets, etc.

It's confusing me about his durability. In Halo 3, on Arrival (opening cinematic) one of the Marines comments that the gel layer in the suit hardened and could've taken most of the fall. Is this how he survived, or is there a different reason? (Escape pod, etc.?)

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Vrakmul

That also confuses me.  Because a foot ball sized object from space creates an h-bomb level explosion when it hits earth, Master chief cannot take an h-bomb. 

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sparda
    Dreadnaught said:
    "That also confuses me.  Because a foot ball sized object from space creates an h-bomb level explosion when it hits earth, Master chief cannot take an h-bomb. "

A footbal-sized object makes a H-bomb?

How'd they find that one out...?
    Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vrakmul

Calculations.  At 40 km a football sized object would wipe say, The city of phoenix arizona off the map.

Ultimate Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Ultimate Ronin
    Sparda said:
    "

(I would put this in the Quick Question and Answer Thread, but it's more geared towards the games).

I played and beat Halo 1 and 3, but I skipped Halo 2 (though I've read a lot of the books). So, I'm a little confused how Chief takes that fall from the atmosphere, but subsequently in the game (and in the books after he gets the Mark V armor I think that it's like this too, correct me if I'm wrong) dies from much smaller falls, bullets, etc.

It's confusing me about his durability. In Halo 3, on Arrival (opening cinematic) one of the Marines comments that the gel layer in the suit hardened and could've taken most of the fall. Is this how he survived, or is there a different reason? (Escape pod, etc.?)

"
    its pretty simple my friend. its a game and they have to make it to where master chief can die or else the game wouldnt be fun. as you said the gel layers inside his suit took most the impact. which is why during the game his suit isnt as good as it was in part two. kinda cooler in my book makes him more vulnerable but in the end he can take the hit as he did at the begining of the game but since his suit was basically busted at that point if he was to take another hit like that again he would die since the gel had been used for the impact. and in halo one the reason why he couldnt take so many hits was b/c his suit wasnt quite up to par with the mark v. im pretty sure in halo 2 he can take more of a beating that he does in part 3 but i dont quite remember. i know in the books his suit can take a hell of a beating but like i said the gel hadnt been used yet.
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sparda
    Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "

"
    its pretty simple my friend. its a game and they have to make it to where master chief can die or else the game wouldnt be fun. as you said the gel layers inside his suit took most the impact. which is why during the game his suit isnt as good as it was in part two. kinda cooler in my book makes him more vulnerable but in the end he can take the hit as he did at the begining of the game but since his suit was basically busted at that point if he was to take another hit like that again he would die since the gel had been used for the impact. and in halo one the reason why he couldnt take so many hits was b/c his suit wasnt quite up to par with the mark v. im pretty sure in halo 2 he can take more of a beating that he does in part 3 but i dont quite remember. i know in the books his suit can take a hell of a beating but like i said the gel hadnt been used yet."
    Ah, okay. Thanks for answering!
    Ultimate Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ultimate Ronin

no problem he is one of my all time favorite characters.

by the way does anybody know what ever happened to the comic series that was suppose to come out??

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sparda

I think they just released the newest issue of Uprising a few weeks ago. It's like a year late, though, lol.

Ultimate Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ultimate Ronin
    Sparda said:
    "I think they just released the newest issue of Uprising a few weeks ago. It's like a year late, though, lol."
    lol yea i just talked to some about it i didnt even know that the first issue came out. i so need some scans lol. ive read all the books and beat all the games and bought the hardback comic when it came out but didnt know about the comic coming out until just a minute ago lol
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sparda
    Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "I think they just released the newest issue of Uprising a few weeks ago. It's like a year late, though, lol."
    lol yea i just talked to some about it i didnt even know that the first issue came out. i so need some scans lol. ive read all the books and beat all the games and bought the hardback comic when it came out but didnt know about the comic coming out until just a minute ago lol"

I love the books, they rule hardcore man. I'm on Ghosts Of Onyx right now, favourite was Fall Of Reach.

I always wanted to grab the first comic series, never got around to it though.
    Ultimate Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ultimate Ronin
    Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    lol yea i just talked to some about it i didnt even know that the first issue came out. i so need some scans lol. ive read all the books and beat all the games and bought the hardback comic when it came out but didnt know about the comic coming out until just a minute ago lol"

I love the books, they rule hardcore man. I'm on Ghosts Of Onyx right now, favourite was Fall Of Reach.

I always wanted to grab the first comic series, never got around to it though."
    ghosts of onix?? is that new?? i have the fall of reach first strike and the flood one i havent heard or seen the ghost of onix is it a halo book??
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sparda
    Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:

I always wanted to grab the first comic series, never got around to it though."
    ghosts of onix?? is that new?? i have the fall of reach first strike and the flood one i havent heard or seen the ghost of onix is it a halo book??"

Yep. There's two Halo books after First Strike, Ghosts Of Onyx and Contact: Harvest.

I think they're gonna put out another one soon.
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sparda
    caption
    caption
    Ultimate Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ultimate Ronin
    Sparda said:
    "
    caption
    caption
    "
    da^n thats sweet i was just at the book store the other day  and did not see them. so thats about the spartans that were trapped below the surface with the doctor right??
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sparda
    Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "
    caption
    caption
    "
    da^n thats sweet i was just at the book store the other day  and did not see them. so thats about the spartans that were trapped below the surface with the doctor right??"

I'm not very far in (just got it a little while ago) but it seems to be about a new group of Spartans (SPARTAN-3s) that are dispatched to fight with all the Covenant. There also looks to be a Elite sideplot in there (Elites rule, those guys are awesome).

Can't give ya a lot of plot info, I don't wanna look at a summary to spoil it! Lol.
    Ultimate Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ultimate Ronin
    Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "
    caption
    caption
    "
    da^n thats sweet i was just at the book store the other day  and did not see them. so thats about the spartans that were trapped below the surface with the doctor right??"

I'm not very far in (just got it a little while ago) but it seems to be about a new group of Spartans (SPARTAN-3s) that are dispatched to fight with all the Covenant. There also looks to be a Elite sideplot in there (Elites rule, those guys are awesome).

Can't give ya a lot of plot info, I don't wanna look at a summary to spoil it! Lol."
    dang!! well there has to be a story about the spartans that were underneath the surface of reach right?? like they never ended that they found some cool thing under there and the covenant were digging to get to it but thats all that i remember im pretty sure thats were they ended that plot line. i want to know what happened to them dammit lol.
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sparda

Oh yeah, and didn't the Doctor (Halsey, I think) steal away one of the Spartans and the artifact they found (Linda, maybe?)?

My memory is so fuzzy with the books, I read First Strike like, four years ago.

Ultimate Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ultimate Ronin
    Sparda said:
    "Oh yeah, and didn't the Doctor (Halsey, I think) steal away one of the Spartans and the artifact they found (Linda, maybe?)?

My memory is so fuzzy with the books, I read First Strike like, four years ago."
    yea lol and mine is just as fuzzy think its time to pull em out again and read them lol. but you do remember that one of the other books had a covenant story line to right?? im pretty sure it was the arbiter. and im pretty sure thats the reason he was getting his a$$ kicked at the beginning of halo 2 lol. he had a grunt with him that ended up stabbing him in the back i think b/c he was a puss
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sparda
    Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "Oh yeah, and didn't the Doctor (Halsey, I think) steal away one of the Spartans and the artifact they found (Linda, maybe?)?

My memory is so fuzzy with the books, I read First Strike like, four years ago."
    yea lol and mine is just as fuzzy think its time to pull em out again and read them lol. but you do remember that one of the other books had a covenant story line to right?? im pretty sure it was the arbiter. and im pretty sure thats the reason he was getting his a$$ kicked at the beginning of halo 2 lol. he had a grunt with him that ended up stabbing him in the back i think b/c he was a puss"

A Grunt betrayed him?

Wow, that one must have got it BAD.

Yeah, I think it was First Strike, they have a Cove storyline that's about him losing his ship to the Chief, I think.
    Ultimate Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ultimate Ronin
    Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:

yea lol and mine is just as fuzzy think its time to pull em out again and read them lol. but you do remember that one of the other books had a covenant story line to right?? im pretty sure it was the arbiter. and im pretty sure thats the reason he was getting his a$$ kicked at the beginning of halo 2 lol. he had a grunt with him that ended up stabbing him in the back i think b/c he was a puss"

A Grunt betrayed him?

Yeah, I think it was First Strike, they have a Cove storyline that's about him losing his ship to the Chief, I think."
    yea something of them lines but i think it ended up being the arbiter?? dunno cant really remember but im pretty sure it was lol. im stoked to read the new books now thanks for sharing the info. although im not a big covie fan i love master chief and always enjoyed killing the elites lol
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sparda
    Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:

A Grunt betrayed him?

Yeah, I think it was First Strike, they have a Cove storyline that's about him losing his ship to the Chief, I think."
    yea something of them lines but i think it ended up being the arbiter?? dunno cant really remember but im pretty sure it was lol. im stoked to read the new books now thanks for sharing the info. although im not a big covie fan i love master chief and always enjoyed killing the elites lol"
    Yeah, I think it was the Arbiter too, cause he gets "demoted" to Arbiter since Chief steals his ship in First Strike.

No prob, thanks for answering my question. I hated the Elites in the first game, but they were som of my fave characters in number 3.

Arbiter and Chief=best videogame interspecies team-up ever.
    Ultimate Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ultimate Ronin
    Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:

A Grunt betrayed him?

yea something of them lines but i think it ended up being the arbiter?? dunno cant really remember but im pretty sure it was lol. im stoked to read the new books now thanks for sharing the info. although im not a big covie fan i love master chief and always enjoyed killing the elites lol"
    Yeah, I think it was the Arbiter too, cause he gets "demoted" to Arbiter since Chief steals his ship in First Strike.

No prob, thanks for answering my question. I hated the Elites in the first game, but they were som of my fave characters in number 3.

Arbiter and Chief=best videogame interspecies team-up ever."
    yea it was pretty cool. i really liked it in 3 when the arbiter decided to stay behind and help master chief. and at the end of the game he was there at the ceromony. one of my most favorite characters in that game though was sarge. he was totally bada$$ and the books even made him better explaining how he lived through part one when the flood attacked his whole squad
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sparda
    Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:

A Grunt betrayed him?

yea it was pretty cool. i really liked it in 3 when the arbiter decided to stay behind and help master chief. and at the end of the game he was there at the ceromony. one of my most favorite characters in that game though was sarge. he was totally bada$$ and the books even made him better explaining how he lived through part one when the flood attacked his whole squad"

DUDE! Sergeant Johnson was awesome!

When he used the Spartan laser at the end of the game to save you from Guilty Spark, that was incredible. My fave moment of the game.
    Ultimate Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ultimate Ronin
    Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:

A Grunt betrayed him?

yea it was pretty cool. i really liked it in 3 when the arbiter decided to stay behind and help master chief. and at the end of the game he was there at the ceromony. one of my most favorite characters in that game though was sarge. he was totally bada$$ and the books even made him better explaining how he lived through part one when the flood attacked his whole squad"

When he used the Spartan laser at the end of the game to save you from Guilty Spark, that was incredible. My fave moment of the game."
    yea it was cool but i wasnt to impressed that they killed him off. he had been through hell he should have lived i think. he had a healing factor that should have kept him alive lol but thats just my opinion. my favorite sarge moment was in part 2 when they were flying over a city and he was talking about how the prophet regret. i regret us ever come down here i regret ever messing with the marines and all that jazz lol. oh yea and when they were talking about the music but i think that was in the books lol. he always listened to oldies from basically the 80's and nineties i think lol and the marines were making fun of him but it was just like in vietnam when the soldiers would listen to music on their way to a fight
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sparda
    Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:

A Grunt betrayed him?

When he used the Spartan laser at the end of the game to save you from Guilty Spark, that was incredible. My fave moment of the game."
    yea it was cool but i wasnt to impressed that they killed him off. he had been through hell he should have lived i think. he had a healing factor that should have kept him alive lol but thats just my opinion. my favorite sarge moment was in part 2 when they were flying over a city and he was talking about how the prophet regret. i regret us ever come down here i regret ever messing with the marines and all that jazz lol. oh yea and when they were talking about the music but i think that was in the books lol. he always listened to oldies from basically the 80's and nineties i think lol and the marines were making fun of him but it was just like in vietnam when the soldiers would listen to music on their way to a fight"

Oh yeah, it was Heavy Metal music, and the marines were like "Turn that crap off!", and Sarge just goes "Shut the hell up, this stuff is classic". I was laughing so hard at that. Johnson was definitely one of the best characters in the entire franchise.
    Ultimate Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ultimate Ronin
    Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:
    "Ultimate Ronin said:
    "Sparda said:

A Grunt betrayed him?

yea it was cool but i wasnt to impressed that they killed him off. he had been through hell he should have lived i think. he had a healing factor that should have kept him alive lol but thats just my opinion. my favorite sarge moment was in part 2 when they were flying over a city and he was talking about how the prophet regret. i regret us ever come down here i regret ever messing with the marines and all that jazz lol. oh yea and when they were talking about the music but i think that was in the books lol. he always listened to oldies from basically the 80's and nineties i think lol and the marines were making fun of him but it was just like in vietnam when the soldiers would listen to music on their way to a fight"

Oh yeah, it was Heavy Metal music, and the marines were like "Turn that crap off!", and Sarge just goes "Shut the hell up, this stuff is classic". I was laughing so hard at that. Johnson was definitely one of the best characters in the entire franchise."
    haha im glad to meet another fan that loves halo as much as i do lol. most people i talk to dont know this stuff b/c they didnt really pay attention or read the books so its pretty cool to know someone that has the same knowledge of the story as i do although your a little further than me b/c you got the new books lol damn barnes and noble for not having them lol.
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sparda

Huh, weird, I actually got Ghosts Of Onyx at Barnes and Nobles, lol.

There's actually a good amount of hardcore Halo fans on here......Logic Mark 3, and Switch are two of the most prominent. I actually sorta hated Halo (I had met some bad fanboys), but then I got back into it with the books and number 3.

There's always a good discussion to be had on Comicvine, if you can find the right people, heh.

Ultimate Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ultimate Ronin
    Sparda said:
    "

Huh, weird, I actually got Ghosts Of Onyx at Barnes and Nobles, lol.

There's actually a good amount of hardcore Halo fans on here......Logic Mark 3, and Switch are two of the most prominent. I actually sorta hated Halo (I had met some bad fanboys), but then I got back into it with the books and number 3.

There's always a good discussion to be had on Comicvine, if you can find the right people, heh.

"
    hmm apparently lol. i ddint know that switch was a halo fan. its a great story and im sorry the fan boys ruined it for ya lol.
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sparda

Fanboys:

They suck :)

Well, good having this discussion with ya dude! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ultimate Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ultimate Ronin

ditto glad i could help. i often use him falling from space in my battle arguments lol

Shaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Shaper

Early on in the book, I remember they said he was the luckiest one of all the candidates. So, that's another reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.