Follow

Mary Jane

Character » Mary Jane appears in 3744 issues.

Mary Jane Watson is an actress and a major love interest of Peter Parker aka Spider-Man. They have had a long and dramatic on-and-off-again relationship. She's one of the few people who know who he is and still supports him as a close friend and confidante.

Who did Mary Jane fall in love with???

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By oraclefyre

With the new Spider-Man film coming out, the slate has been wiped clean and instead of Mary Jane, the new love-interest will be Gwen Stacy, played by Emma Stone.

I was excited, I love MJ but I was looking forward to seeing Gwen's story given proper handling. So, of course, Emma Stone will be addressed about the differences between MJ and Gwen. Hearing her response though, my opinions turned a bit sour. I thought that Emma would respond by just stating the differences between the two women, how they were different women. She did so, but her responses about MJ had some negative connotations. One of the first things she stated was the differences between the two women was....

Gwen Stacy fell in love with Peter Parker; Mary-Jane fell in love with Spider-Man."

Look, I know she's probably basing it off by watching the original movies and what the producers are telling her, but I'm just curious, does anyone agree with her, movies aside?

MJ knew Pete was Spider-Man from even before they met, but I never got the vibe she was after him because he was Spider-Man. Hell, she dated men other than Peter and wasn't obsessed with dating "Spider-Man" and didn't actively pursue him other than the occasional flirty comment when Gwen was in the picture.

That's just my opinion, but who do you guys think she fell in love with? Peter Parker or Spider-Man?

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By azza04

I think she really liked Peter, the hole Spider-Man thing probably just added another element of attraction. To be honest though I'm not really sure, I haven't been reading Spider-Man since it got all weird after Civil War. Can't wait for the new movie though.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ReVamp

Well, if we're talking originally, before Stacy's death, MJ was portrayed as a typical mindless... "slut" for a lack of a better term. A party girl would perhaps be a better term and while she displayed some interest in Peter when he was dating Gwen, not much depth was shown. Of course, after Lee's run and the death of Gwen Stacy, MJ changed drastically, though I haven't read much of what happens during that time.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Primmaster64

Mary Jane always loved Peter...Spider-Man was just a bonus.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Jotham

@ReVamp said:

Well, if we're talking originally, before Stacy's death, MJ was portrayed as a typical mindless... "slut" for a lack of a better term. A party girl would perhaps be a better term and while she displayed some interest in Peter when he was dating Gwen, not much depth was shown. Of course, after Lee's run and the death of Gwen Stacy, MJ changed drastically, though I haven't read much of what happens during that time.

I agree with this, except I'd say "bimbo" is more apt. She was somewhat interested in Peter, but never made any effort to be with him. Of course, focusing on the romance in early Spider-Man comics is like banging your head against a wall.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ReVamp

@Jotham said:

@ReVamp said:

I agree with this, except I'd say "bimbo" is more apt. She was somewhat interested in Peter, but never made any effort to be with him. Of course, focusing on the romance in early Spider-Man comics is like banging your head against a wall.

Yeah. A Bimbo would be more apt indeed. I was searching for an appropriate term. She didn't make an effort with him also, because she was somewhat immature and Stan wanted to make it apparent that Gwen was for Pete, not MJ. So at one point he even had the two of them together and when Peter had to go MJ simply grabbed Flash/Norman and said "well, one man is as good as any" or something along those line.

Of course her personality has changed completely when it was decided that she was to be Spidey's premiere love interest.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By KainScion

@Primmaster64 said:

Mary Jane always loved Peter...Spider-Man was just a bonus.
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jotham

@ReVamp said:

So at one point he even had the two of them together and when Peter had to go MJ simply grabbed Flash/Norman and said "well, one man is as good as any" or something along those line.

Of course her personality has changed completely when it was decided that she was to be Spidey's premiere love interest.

Yeah, precisely. And then Pete would get pissy about it for a few pages.

Did you read Spider-Man: Blue? It sort of addresses this where Peter mentions that it was Gwen's death that caused MJ to mature into the woman he needed her to be.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ReVamp

@Jotham said:

@ReVamp said:

So at one point he even had the two of them together and when Peter had to go MJ simply grabbed Flash/Norman and said "well, one man is as good as any" or something along those line.

Yeah, precisely. And then Pete would get pissy about it for a few pages.

Did you read Spider-Man: Blue? It sort of addresses this where Peter mentions that it was Gwen's death that caused MJ to mature into the woman he needed her to be.

No, I have not. I'm going strictly off the original source material. Do you recommend Spider-Man: Blue?

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jotham

@ReVamp: Yeah, if you can find it for a good price. I don't think it quite lives up to its potential, but it's pretty good. It's more focused on Peter's memories of Gwen than action, and it's got a bittersweet and nostalgic feel to it.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ReVamp

@Jotham said:

@ReVamp: Yeah, if you can find it for a good price. I don't think it quite lives up to its potential, but it's pretty good. It's more focused on Peter's memories of Gwen than action, and it's got a bittersweet and nostalgic feel to it.

If its got Gwen, I'm there.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

If you read the comics it's clear she fell in love with Peter, not Spider-Man. Spider-Man was what turned her off. The only reason why people think she fell in love with Spider-Man and that Gwen fell in love with Peter is because is because they like to project the sexist Madonna/Whore dichotomy that Stan Lee created.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Yung ANcient One

I think Gwen and MJ fell for Pete... hes a AWEsome guy common. Sure he's Nerdy isnt into the Party scene but he's a sweet responsible stand up guy with a great sense of humor. Hes pretty much the same guy in a suit. IMO

buttah

I think it was Felicia Hardy "Black Cat" who fell for SPidey and not PETE

Thats Jus Me DOE

(+)

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Deranged Midget

I hope Mary-Jane doesn't show up until at least the sequel, but I don't want to see any of that love triangle crap.

On to the topic, I always thought Mary-Jane loved Peter but was simply fascinated with Spider-man (even though she revealed she knew who he was all along).

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ReVamp

@Deranged Midget said:

(even though she revealed she knew who he was all along).

Does anyone know when she revealed this?

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

It slips my mind right now, but the first time was in the 90's when she said she knew he was Spider-man all along and then there was another incident when MJ said she saw him crawl out his bedroom window on the night of Uncle Ben's death.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ReVamp

@Deranged Midget said:

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

It slips my mind right now, but the first time was in the 90's when she said she knew he was Spider-man all along and then there was another incident when MJ said she saw him crawl out his bedroom window on the night of Uncle Ben's death.

Yeah. I don't mean the latter, I mean when does she reveal it to HIM.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Well, I'm pretty sure it was in Untold Tales of Spider-man #16 when she told him. But I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ReVamp

@Deranged Midget said:

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Well, I'm pretty sure it was in Untold Tales of Spider-man #16 when she told him. But I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

That's what I was asking. Thanks.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By darthfury78
    @Yung ANcient One said:

I think Gwen and MJ fell for Pete... hes a AWEsome guy common. Sure he's Nerdy isnt into the Party scene but he's a sweet responsible stand up guy with a great sense of humor. Hes pretty much the same guy in a suit. IMO

buttah

I think it was Felicia Hardy "Black Cat" who fell for SPidey and not PETE

Thats Jus Me DOE

(+)

Initially, the Black Cat was interested in Spider-Man for the action. She wasn't interested in Peter because of his desire to have a normal life. Prior to OMD, Felicia actually grew up during the time when Peter was married to MJ, and realized that she was falling for Peter and not Spider-Man. With notion that she no longer knows his identity as Spider-Man, Felcia appears to have regressed to her superficial self that wasn't interested in Peter Parker. 
    AllNewOverseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By AllNewOverseer
    Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Glaucus

@deranged_midget:

"It slips my mind right now, but the first time was in the 90's when she said she knew he was Spider-man all along and then there was another incident when MJ said she saw him crawl out his bedroom window on the night of Uncle Ben's death."

The first time that Mary Jane told Peter that she knew that he's Spider-Man was not in the 1990s. Peter and Mary Jane were already married in the 1990s.

They got married in 1987.

Mary Jane first told Peter that she knew that he was Spider-Man after he fought against Puma in Amazing Spider-man #257 in 1984. I read it when it first came out.

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Glaucus

Mary Jane wasn't a bimbo,slut.

She was presented as a nice,fun,outgoing,liberal,modern woman who is an aspiring actress.

Stan Lee said that he made Mary Jane for fun. He referred to her as having a personality that fiery and hip.

Peter's Aunt May was trying to set up Peter with Mary Jane who was May's next door neighbor/friend.

Peter was trying to avoid Mary Jane because May wanted to meet her and told Peter that he wanted her to meet Anna Watson's niece and that she had a nice personality.

They finally met , and they were shown to be very attracted to each other.

May and Anna happily observed and remarked about the interactions between Peter and Mary Jane like they were glad that the two were really hitting it off and make a great couple.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mary Jane even shouted to Aunt Anna that he really turns her on (referring to Peter)

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.