Who did Mary Jane fall in love with???

#1 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

With the new Spider-Man film coming out, the slate has been wiped clean and instead of Mary Jane, the new love-interest will be Gwen Stacy, played by Emma Stone.

I was excited, I love MJ but I was looking forward to seeing Gwen's story given proper handling. So, of course, Emma Stone will be addressed about the differences between MJ and Gwen. Hearing her response though, my opinions turned a bit sour. I thought that Emma would respond by just stating the differences between the two women, how they were different women. She did so, but her responses about MJ had some negative connotations. One of the first things she stated was the differences between the two women was....

Gwen Stacy fell in love with Peter Parker; Mary-Jane fell in love with Spider-Man."

Look, I know she's probably basing it off by watching the original movies and what the producers are telling her, but I'm just curious, does anyone agree with her, movies aside?

MJ knew Pete was Spider-Man from even before they met, but I never got the vibe she was after him because he was Spider-Man. Hell, she dated men other than Peter and wasn't obsessed with dating "Spider-Man" and didn't actively pursue him other than the occasional flirty comment when Gwen was in the picture.

That's just my opinion, but who do you guys think she fell in love with? Peter Parker or Spider-Man?

#2 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she really liked Peter, the hole Spider-Man thing probably just added another element of attraction. To be honest though I'm not really sure, I haven't been reading Spider-Man since it got all weird after Civil War. Can't wait for the new movie though.

#3 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, if we're talking originally, before Stacy's death, MJ was portrayed as a typical mindless... "slut" for a lack of a better term. A party girl would perhaps be a better term and while she displayed some interest in Peter when he was dating Gwen, not much depth was shown. Of course, after Lee's run and the death of Gwen Stacy, MJ changed drastically, though I haven't read much of what happens during that time.

#4 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

Mary Jane always loved Peter...Spider-Man was just a bonus.

#5 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

Well, if we're talking originally, before Stacy's death, MJ was portrayed as a typical mindless... "slut" for a lack of a better term. A party girl would perhaps be a better term and while she displayed some interest in Peter when he was dating Gwen, not much depth was shown. Of course, after Lee's run and the death of Gwen Stacy, MJ changed drastically, though I haven't read much of what happens during that time.

I agree with this, except I'd say "bimbo" is more apt. She was somewhat interested in Peter, but never made any effort to be with him. Of course, focusing on the romance in early Spider-Man comics is like banging your head against a wall.

#6 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jotham said:

@ReVamp said:

I agree with this, except I'd say "bimbo" is more apt. She was somewhat interested in Peter, but never made any effort to be with him. Of course, focusing on the romance in early Spider-Man comics is like banging your head against a wall.

Yeah. A Bimbo would be more apt indeed. I was searching for an appropriate term. She didn't make an effort with him also, because she was somewhat immature and Stan wanted to make it apparent that Gwen was for Pete, not MJ. So at one point he even had the two of them together and when Peter had to go MJ simply grabbed Flash/Norman and said "well, one man is as good as any" or something along those line.

Of course her personality has changed completely when it was decided that she was to be Spidey's premiere love interest.

#7 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

Mary Jane always loved Peter...Spider-Man was just a bonus.
#8 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

So at one point he even had the two of them together and when Peter had to go MJ simply grabbed Flash/Norman and said "well, one man is as good as any" or something along those line.

Of course her personality has changed completely when it was decided that she was to be Spidey's premiere love interest.

Yeah, precisely. And then Pete would get pissy about it for a few pages.

Did you read Spider-Man: Blue? It sort of addresses this where Peter mentions that it was Gwen's death that caused MJ to mature into the woman he needed her to be.

#9 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jotham said:

@ReVamp said:

So at one point he even had the two of them together and when Peter had to go MJ simply grabbed Flash/Norman and said "well, one man is as good as any" or something along those line.

Yeah, precisely. And then Pete would get pissy about it for a few pages.

Did you read Spider-Man: Blue? It sort of addresses this where Peter mentions that it was Gwen's death that caused MJ to mature into the woman he needed her to be.

No, I have not. I'm going strictly off the original source material. Do you recommend Spider-Man: Blue?

#10 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Yeah, if you can find it for a good price. I don't think it quite lives up to its potential, but it's pretty good. It's more focused on Peter's memories of Gwen than action, and it's got a bittersweet and nostalgic feel to it.

#11 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jotham said:

@ReVamp: Yeah, if you can find it for a good price. I don't think it quite lives up to its potential, but it's pretty good. It's more focused on Peter's memories of Gwen than action, and it's got a bittersweet and nostalgic feel to it.

If its got Gwen, I'm there.

#12 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio

If you read the comics it's clear she fell in love with Peter, not Spider-Man. Spider-Man was what turned her off. The only reason why people think she fell in love with Spider-Man and that Gwen fell in love with Peter is because is because they like to project the sexist Madonna/Whore dichotomy that Stan Lee created.

#13 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4596 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Gwen and MJ fell for Pete... hes a AWEsome guy common. Sure he's Nerdy isnt into the Party scene but he's a sweet responsible stand up guy with a great sense of humor. Hes pretty much the same guy in a suit. IMO

buttah

I think it was Felicia Hardy "Black Cat" who fell for SPidey and not PETE

Thats Jus Me DOE

(+)

#14 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Mary-Jane doesn't show up until at least the sequel, but I don't want to see any of that love triangle crap.

On to the topic, I always thought Mary-Jane loved Peter but was simply fascinated with Spider-man (even though she revealed she knew who he was all along).

#15 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

(even though she revealed she knew who he was all along).

Does anyone know when she revealed this?

#16 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

It slips my mind right now, but the first time was in the 90's when she said she knew he was Spider-man all along and then there was another incident when MJ said she saw him crawl out his bedroom window on the night of Uncle Ben's death.

#17 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

It slips my mind right now, but the first time was in the 90's when she said she knew he was Spider-man all along and then there was another incident when MJ said she saw him crawl out his bedroom window on the night of Uncle Ben's death.

Yeah. I don't mean the latter, I mean when does she reveal it to HIM.

#18 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Well, I'm pretty sure it was in Untold Tales of Spider-man #16 when she told him. But I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

#19 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@ReVamp said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Well, I'm pretty sure it was in Untold Tales of Spider-man #16 when she told him. But I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

That's what I was asking. Thanks.

#20 Posted by darthfury78 (760 posts) - - Show Bio
@Yung ANcient One said:

I think Gwen and MJ fell for Pete... hes a AWEsome guy common. Sure he's Nerdy isnt into the Party scene but he's a sweet responsible stand up guy with a great sense of humor. Hes pretty much the same guy in a suit. IMO

buttah

I think it was Felicia Hardy "Black Cat" who fell for SPidey and not PETE

Thats Jus Me DOE

(+)

Initially, the Black Cat was interested in Spider-Man for the action. She wasn't interested in Peter because of his desire to have a normal life. Prior to OMD, Felicia actually grew up during the time when Peter was married to MJ, and realized that she was falling for Peter and not Spider-Man. With notion that she no longer knows his identity as Spider-Man, Felcia appears to have regressed to her superficial self that wasn't interested in Peter Parker. 
#21 Posted by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.