Emma Stone Offered Role of Mary Jane & Gwen Stacy Still to be Cast

• 74 results
Posted by G-Man (30641 posts) - - Show Bio
The other day there were several actresses being mentioned as possible contenders for a female role in the next Spider-Man movie. It looks like the list is being narrowed down and Mary Jane will soon be officially cast. 

Deadline New York has announced that Sony will be offering the role of Mary Jane Watson to Emma Stone (Zombieland, Easy A). 

It seems Mary Jane will not be the only possible love interest for Spidey. It was also mentioned that Gwen Stacy will be a "plum part" because "she is the first love interest of the high school-aged Peter Parker." That means that Dianna Agron (Glee, Heroes), Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland), Georgina Haig and Dominique McElligott (Leap Year, Moon) still have a chance to get cozy with Peter Parker. 

What do you think, has Spider-Man and Sony hit the jackpot with this casting?
Staff
#1 Posted by Danial79 (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

I think from that photo that she certainly looks the part :)

#2 Posted by leokearon (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

If she acts as well as she looks, then we should be fine
#3 Posted by Skies327 (230 posts) - - Show Bio

Spot on. Emma Stone not only looks gorgeous, she can act as well. Her role in Paper Man with Jeff Daniels was superb.

#4 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

Dunst really didn't seem to look right, she Looks A lot better
#5 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, I guess.

#6 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm ok with that, infinitely, better than Dunst.

Also, Dianna for Gwen, Dianna , Dianna!!!!!!

#7 Posted by Chane (539 posts) - - Show Bio

Good casting.

#8 Posted by Comicgirl93 (647 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW! She's gorgeous! If she has a good roll, then I'm all hands for her! :D

#9 Posted by Sovereign Vance (735 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma Stone is a huge step up from old face vampire fang Kirsten Dunst.I've only seen her in Zombieland.I thought her acting was fine.I don't know how good she really is but I don't even care.The movie isn't about Mary Jane.It's about Spider-Man.
#10 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

She would make pefrect Mary Jane and she is so hot. ;)

#11 Posted by Planewalker (325 posts) - - Show Bio

Good casting call

#12 Posted by greenenvy (634 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep perfect. 

#13 Posted by Duncan (11434 posts) - - Show Bio

Good casting but I have to say I only want Gwen in the movie.

#14 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Duncan said:
" Good casting but I have to say I only want Gwen in the movie. "
...played by Dianna Agron :D
#15 Posted by etragedy (1050 posts) - - Show Bio

These movies aren't that old, I can see recasting, but why reboot? There will never be any character development in the movies for these superheroes if they keep rebooting after every 3 films.

In the old days characters like the Thin Man, Charlie Chan and Sherlock Holmes and James Bond went for dozens of movies before they rebooted them.

#16 Posted by welshguy (197 posts) - - Show Bio

Got to say, zero interest in this movie and its cast/plot/villains etc.

So why am I reading this article and furthermore, why am I commenting?... God almighty my life is dull on a Sunday

#17 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma Stone is absolutely spot on. I really hope she gets the part and as for Gwen Stacy, Dianna Agron is the best one I have seen so far for Gwen.
#18 Posted by CRACKERMAN92 (69 posts) - - Show Bio

Face it tiger you just hit the jackpot.

#19 Posted by Chaos Burn (1773 posts) - - Show Bio

told ya so

#20 Posted by johnny_spam (2031 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love if she was Mary Jane.

#21 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Before, I had no reason to watch this movie. I've just found a reason. 

#22 Posted by Tainted-Cell (299 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of disappointed. She has a voice that seems on-par with a life of cigarettes, and though it's shallow, I don't think she's at all attractive.

#23 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tainted-Cell said:
" Kind of disappointed. She has a voice that seems on-par with a life of cigarettes, and though it's shallow, I don't think she's at all attractive. "
I don't find her attractive, but the casting could have been much worse, so I'm pretty happy with this.
#24 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio
@etragedy said:
"These movies aren't that old, I can see recasting, but why reboot? There will never be any character development in the movies for these superheroes if they keep rebooting after every 3 films.  In the old days characters like the Thin Man, Charlie Chan and Sherlock Holmes and James Bond went for dozens of movies before they rebooted them. "

Indeed very good points.  I don't get it either, at least with the Spidey franchise.  Not that I care a lot but at least they could have done as G-Man said, just continue on with the movies,  but with different cast members.   It doesn't make sense.  Even as cartoony as the first 3 were ( OK, Spidey 2 was good except for the over the top CGI), I don't think the series needs a reboot.   

I will forever complain, but I wish Sony and Fox would negotiate with Marvel/Disney and return the movie rights to the characters they are mutilating with their "movies".  *ugh*

@welshguy said:
"

Got to say, zero interest in this movie and its cast/plot/villains etc.

So why am I reading this article and furthermore, why am I commenting?... God almighty my life is dull on a Sunday

"

Sadly I am in the same boat as you.  Ha!   

After all that, I honestly don't know about this casting.  She has a pretty face but  in  the pictures I"ve seen of her, she looks like she is rather petite and has bad posture.  MJ isn't petite, and has excellent poise.   I've not seen Emma Stone's  movies, so I don't know, guess I'm being a bit judgmental. 

I just hope she isn't  a Kirsten Dunst Model Life Decoy.

#25 Posted by Comik Book Guy (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally, a hot Mary-Jane

#26 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@jordama said:
" Dunst really didn't seem to look right, she Looks A lot better "
gotta agree, she looks a lot more like MJ than Dunst ever did.
#27 Edited by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

looks like we got our mj !

#28 Posted by CrazyAsAFox (298 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! Defiantly! 

#29 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18823 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome.

#30 Posted by ForbushBug (496 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to see an MJ with an edge. Mary Jane was supposed to be the party girl in comparison to the angelic Gwen. That was non-existent in the Dunst trilogy. And as long as we don't get anything as banal as the "empty chair" monologue from the second movie, I'll be happy.

#31 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:
" I think from that photo that she certainly looks the part :) "
yep
#32 Edited by N7_Normandy (2430 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tainted-Cell said:

" Kind of disappointed. She has a voice that seems on-par with a life of cigarettes, and though it's shallow, I don't think she's at all attractive. "

completely agree.  She has a horrific, semi-raspy voice.  I have no faith that she can deliver for this role.
#33 Posted by xlizen (106 posts) - - Show Bio

She was great in Easy A so if I would see this movie, I would see it for this lovely gal!

#34 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1378 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitly MJ. Emma Stone is a good actress.
#35 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice, great casting. It's weird this casting has gotten me a bit more interested in this movie. I hope there are more great casting to come.

#36 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

Love emma stone, i approve ^_____^

#37 Posted by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see her as MJ
#38 Posted by mickoreo_LZ (250 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt whoever plays Gwen Stacy will look as good as Emma Stone so they might as well just scrap Gwen from the script and let Emma be the main girl
#39 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (388 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly hope she accepts the role because to me she is the perfect Mary Jane Watson and I think Dianna Argon is the perfect Gwen Stacey. I hope they both get and accept the roles.

#40 Edited by BuddyBulson (427 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Emma Stone, and I really would have loved her as Jean Grey but she will make a great MJ! I think she fits the part well, and is an awesome actress. This will be her first roll she needs to be more serious for, yet still be sexy and meek at the same time. She tends to have a deep voice so I wonder how she will play Mary Jane in the end.

#41 Posted by Nyogtha (353 posts) - - Show Bio

She has the attitude to play MJ, just look at Zombie Land, as well as Easy A. Plus I could associate her role in Superbad to that of MJ as well. Plus she is WAY better looking the Dunst. I now want to see this movie. Just hope they get a girl to play Gwen that fit part like Howard did in the 3rd movie. That movie sucked, but I'll watch it for her.

#42 Posted by msavo (66 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm very interested in this project now :)

#43 Posted by RaisingIndiana (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, what a perfect choice. I hope she gets it.

#44 Posted by Blindside002 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE!!!!!!

#45 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis said:
" @jordama said:
" Dunst really didn't seem to look right, she Looks A lot better "
gotta agree, she looks a lot more like MJ than Dunst ever did. "

Dunst was more girl next door, Stone looks like the model that MJ is
#46 Posted by Midnight Monk (225 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this movies was supposed to be out this coming summer, no offense to them but other movies have already started filiming for obvious reasons of everything being perfect. Yet again this gonna be another flimsy rush job with lots of stupid CGI

#47 Posted by warcorpse (433 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is comic news so slow on weekends?

#48 Posted by SupremoMaximo (209 posts) - - Show Bio

A sardonic Mary Jane...

#49 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma Stone and Dianna Agron FTW! 

@G-Man: Nice photo choice, btw.

#50 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.