Follow

Marvelman

Character » Marvelman appears in 223 issues.

Mike Moran transforms into a superpowered adult individual called Marvelman by shouting the word, Kimota!

Who is Marvelman???

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

Edited By turoksonofstone

Regarding the history of " Marvelman" a.k.a. " Miracleman":
                     First published in the UK between the years of 1954 and 1963. The character has a very complex history riddled with litigation his path from the UK to the Marvel U is in of itself a Marvel or Miracle. In brief, Captain Marvel's stories were sold in the UK as black and white reprints of his US stories, When Captain Marvel's sales and marketability became greater then Superman's DC got litigious and  the case and associated costs so ham-stringed Fawcett's finances that they surrendered and ceased publishing. One by one the Captain Marvel comics ended publication, with the final Golden Age appearance being The Marvel Family#89, January 1954 
                       Back in the UK, the publishing firm of L.Miller and sons realized that with no new issues of Captain Marvel going to press they would soon run out of reprint materials. Enter Mick Anglo who at Miller and son's request remodeled the character designs of the Marvel Family of Fawcett into a new Marvel Family unique to the UK. Their origins re-conceived and tweaked they would soon debut. Captain Marvel became Marvelman, Captain Marvel Jr. became Young Marvelman, and Mary Marvel got a SEX CHANGE and became a boy Kid Marvelman.

#25 first Marvelman issue.
     #25 first Marvelman issue.
    This set of new characters went on to have a life of it's own in original stories made directly for the UK market.. All of Captain Marvel's Villains were re-conceived and appear in new guises as well. He went dormant and was revived several times in the UK and US ending up for a long period in litigation limbo, until Marvel recently acquired the rights..... 
    Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By hydrabob--defunct

wait Marvel now has the rights to the original Captain Marvel, but didn't DC later buy that character or did they just create their own Captain Marvel

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By turoksonofstone
    Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By hydrabob--defunct

well i guess Marvel is planning on getting rid of Noh-Varr i mean they even brought in his immediate replacement (just hope they don't let Bendis screw this one up too)

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @hydrabob:
    Marvelman has his own Mythos..and now Marvel has a "Black Adam" to call their own in Young Nastyman. Beware Avengers! Not sure how Marvel will integrate everything.
    KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By KenTheProfile

Marvel man fan ahh.   I always liked Johnny Bates actual gave him #2 spot on a List I made about villians check it out if you like 
    glad someone else know him
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Primmaster64

I'm waiting for him to appear on earth 616

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Primmaster64: I am rather excited about it myself.
    Avatar image for furyofobama2012
    FuryofObama2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By FuryofObama2012
    @turoksonofstone said:
    " @hydrabob:
    Marvelman has his own Mythos..and now Marvel has a "Black Adam" to call their own in Young Nastyman. Beware Avengers! Not sure how Marvel will integrate everything. "
    WTF? Who is Nastyman?
    spike2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By spike2024

since marvel now owns miracleman i hope they finish the whole story the remaining of the silver age and the dark age bring in neil gaiman to wrap up the story of miracleman that would be like a dream come true :D

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By turoksonofstone

@spike2024:

yes it would.

Angela? from Spawn too though! LMAO.

well played Marvel, well played.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.