Follow

Marvelman

Character » Marvelman appears in 224 issues.

Mike Moran transforms into a superpowered adult individual called Marvelman by shouting the word, Kimota!

MARVELMAN Returns at Marvel

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

Queseda's cover.
     Queseda's cover.

Anybody who was following the news out of last year’s San Diego Comic Con might recall that Marvel’s big announcement was that it somehow acquired the rights to Marvelman. You might also recall that Marvel didn’t really say much else. It wasn’t clear if  they’d be producing new adventures of the British superhero or if they had just gotten the rights to reprint his older stories. And, if it was the later, which stories would be reprinted?

Today, we received a press release finally elaborating on that, almost a year after the first announcement. The first publication of this new endeavor will be the MARVELMAN CLASSIC PRIMER in June. As the name implies, the book is both a handbook-style magazine to get new readers up to speed, as well as retrospective on the character.  Written by John Rhett Thomas, it contains interviews with talent who’ve worked on Marvelman over the years like Neil Gaiman and Mike Anglo (his creator) and character pin-ups by Mike Perkins, Doug Braithwaite, Miguel Angel Sepulveda, Jae Lee, Khoi Pham and Ben Oliver. What’s more, there will be two variant covers – one by Anglo and one by Joe Queseda, who you might've heard of.  

The month after that, we’ll get the ongoing MARVELMAN FAMILY’S FINEST, which will reprint some the character’s greatest adventures in America for the first time.  Around the same time, the MARVELMAN CLASSIC VOL. 1 hardcover will also hit, reprinting the character’s stories in the order they were first published.

Some of you might be confused as to what the hullaballoo is about. You may not have even heard of this character, either.

Anglo's cover.
     Anglo's cover.

Basically, Marvelman began as a UK publisher's replacement for Captain Marvel. The big reason most people are excited about this is that Alan Moore and Alan Davis redefined the character in the 80s and did some pretty daring work during the “deconstructionist” superhero era that included WATCHMEN and DARK KNIGHT RETURNS.  A lot of legal battles have kept the character in limbo over the years. At one point, his name had to be changed to Miracleman to avoid confusion with Marvel, and, most recently, the rights to the character were tied up with Todd McFarlane. Thus, the Moore/Davis issues are rare and highly priced collectibles, these days. There’s no mention of those stories in this press release, so perhaps Marvel doesn’t have the specific rights to them.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bruce Vain

I'm so jealous of my friend who has ALL the original issues of Miracleman from the 80's.
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By johnny_spam

I figured this would happen look at the logo on these images it has the M's side by side like the original version of the character but in the Moore/Gaimen era of the character the M's were on top of each other.  

It makes me wonder if Marvel has the rights to those stories at all, or if they are just going about it slowly then when the time comes the will pimp the Hell out of the Moore stuff once it reaches that point.  They also may have found a legal loop hole that let them bought the original material and they will write him as if he is the same guy in the Moore Gaimen issues. 

Either way I am not excited the reason people cared so much about the character was because of the Moore Gaimen stories before that he was a Captain Marvel substitute. Marvel might potentially kill off all excitement over the character, this generation has only heard whispers at best of this character and the first thing they see is this old stuff that might turn them off the character.   

I also wonder if Marvel wants new material in the spirit of the eighties stuff what writer do they have who can do it? I don't know which writer from Marvel has the style of those older stories maybe Millar after looking at Superman Red Son not Ellis since a superhero being a god is all he writes. Brubaker maybe.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Decept-O

All well and good that Marvel is "re-introducing" the character here in the States.  I'm still very curious what Marvel's intentions are with the character, how he will be integrated into the Marvel U.  Wait and see!
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By johnny_spam
    @Decept-O:  @Decept-O said:

" All well and good that Marvel is "re-introducing" the character here in the States.  I'm still very curious what Marvel's intentions are with the character, how he will be integrated into the Marvel U.  Wait and see! "

Fans would not like it if he is introduced in the Marvel Universe if people have issues with Sentry then they would have huge problems with him.
    Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Dr. Maxwell

Here's to hoping for reprints of the Moore run

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By xerox_kitty

I can't believe it's taken SO long for them to get to this point.  Most of the events that were announed at San Diego are over now.  So why has this taken so long to organise? :p    
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No real thoughts on this either way at this point in time.
    whether the new stuff is well done or not is all that really matters
    to me.

welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By welshguy

Should be interesting to see how this develops. The Alan Moore stories were dark and violent and grim and frankly brillaint. The Niel Gaiman ones... well, the art was okay... mostly. 
    If its possible for them to do new stories in the style of the 80's (seriously, how wierd is it for someone to wish something to be like the 80's?) that would be fantastic. 
    As for them printing the early adventures I'm not that interested.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jordanstine

But, but, but, the cooler "Marvel" guy is still at DC. 

Can't this "Marvel" be the one coming  to Marvel? 

I'm the Captain of Marvel but I'm in DC comic books. Can I just be Captain DC?

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By sora_thekey
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "I can't believe it's taken SO long for them to get to this point.  Most of the events that were announed at San Diego are over now.  So why has this taken so long to organise? :p     "

Not really the Madhouse Anime on Iron Man and Wolverine will start in June! 
    other than that you're right.... 

I've never read or heard of MarvelMan before SDCC09's announcment... so not really excited!
    WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By WW-Fan

looks like a Superman rip-off
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By johnny_spam
    @WW-Fan: @WW-Fan said:
    " looks like a Superman rip-off "
    He started off as a Captain Marvel rip off then became something else entirely. 

@sora_thekey said:
    " @xerox-kitty said:
    "I can't believe it's taken SO long for them to get to this point.  Most of the events that were announed at San Diego are over now.  So why has this taken so long to organise? :p     "
    Not really the Madhouse Anime on Iron Man and Wolverine will start in June! other than that you're right....  I've never read or heard of MarvelMan before SDCC09's announcment... so not really excited! "

@sora_thekey:

Miracleman was the original  Watchmen the problem being that Marvel isn't staring off with that stuff.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @WW-Fan said:
    " looks like a Superman rip-off "
    What doesn't look like a Superman rip-off?

Seriously how is Miracle/Marvel Man a rip off? What logic goes with that?
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Primmaster64

Well as long as we see him in earth 616 later on...

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By johnny_spam
    @Primmaster64:  @Primmaster64 said:

" Well as long as we see him in earth 616 later on... "

I think him showing up goes against  The Heroic Age. And I think fans of the eighties material will have issues with him in the Marvel U.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Primmaster64
    @johnny spam: at the heroic age...when does that exacly start?
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By johnny_spam
    @Primmaster64:  After Siege. He does not work in the Marvel Universe on many levels if Marvel wants to make new material then it has to be in it's own universe.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Primmaster64
    @johnny spam: After Siege i see...Man i really want Marvemal to kick the Sentry's butt.
    Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Stormultt
    @xerox-kitty said:

IKR! It's all been what a year!?!? since the news of them getting him. 

I'm so all over Marvelman! Can't wait!
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Stormultt: Me too.But i wanna see him fighting Sentry.
    WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By WW-Fan
    @Nova`Prime`:
    his look :)
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Primmaster64

Wonder how hi origin is gonna be in the main M U.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @WW-Fan said:
    " @Nova`Prime`: his look :) "
    besides the blue body suit and red boots what's similar?

That's the same argument DC used to get Captain Marvel from Fawcett.. he looks similar, except he doesn't.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By SevanGrim
    @Jordanstine said:
    "
    But, but, but, the cooler "Marvel" guy is still at DC. 

Can't this "Marvel" be the one coming  to Marvel? 

"
    im 90% sure that DC's Captain Marvel (though owned by another company at the time) was Captain Marvel when Marvel Comics was still Timely COmics. Why would DC change CM's name when he had it first? Seems more like Marvel should have picked a name that wasnt already taken by an iconic character that they didnt own. I mean, DC picked DC because they owned Detective Comics. But maybe my logic's off...
    @WW-Fan said:
    " @Nova`Prime`: his look :) "

he probably looks the least like Superman out of all of the possible superman knock offs. He's not a brunette. No cape. No S. he's not even superbulky like superman. Lots of characters have a red and blue color scheme. I just dont see it.
    Fizzyotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fizzyotter

Hmm. I will have to check this character out. Curious to where he will play in the Marvel Universe. Wonder if he is playing on the cosmic side of things.
    Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Stormultt
    @Primmaster64 said:
    " @Stormultt: Me too.But i wanna see him fighting Sentry. "

If its gaiman's old MM then he'd rape sentry. 

Overall void idk, cause void is just a box full of surprises or in a more intellectual term s***. 

but love both. Blondes get LOVE! thor#1 ofc XDD
    King Hercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By King Hercules

To many characters in Marvel with the Marvel name. Ms MArvel, Captian Marvel (Mar-Vell), Marvel Boy and now there is Blue Marvel. He needs to be excluded from the Marvel 616, but I'm looking forward to him.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Primmaster64

yeah, but they don't have a MARVELMAN!

sixdecibels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sixdecibels

I am deeply interested in this startup! 

I would also like that it remains out of the current continuity. MCU doesn't need another super powerful like MarvelMan, especially if you also add Millars newest project 'Superior'.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.