Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Would you support a marvel universe relaunch?

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Michiel76

So would you?
    I'm kinda on the fence about this one, i'm very excited for the DC relaunch but i'm completly new to DC comics.
    I've read comics for about 25 years off and on, but the number of DC comics i've read i can count on 2 hands.
    yes i know i've missed a lot, but when i was young i only had access to marvel comics where i lived (being europe) and later on i was just not reading them because my whole limited budget was spend on marvel so i could just keep up with their comics.

As a new reader i can't wait to read DC stuff but on the other hand i can understand long time DC fans for not supporting this decision. 
    So this got me thinking about a relaunch of the marvel universe and if i would like it if they did.
    as far as i know they have never done this, they would just start another MCU like the ultimate line of comics.

It can however clean up some very bad stories that everyone hates and reboot a few character origins or even bring back some characters from the dead without it feeling cheap.
    for instance, we could lose the whole "one more day" storyline. Not necessarily let Peter and MJ be married but at least they could see eachother again (i feel right now marvel is doing it's best to keep this from happening) 
    or maybe even bring back Gwen Stacy who is imo still Peter's true girlfriend. (without the stacy clone and twins, relationship with norman osborn fiasco bleh!!)

And on the X-men side, we could lose a whole bunch of redundant characters without depowering and the need of a story like the house of M (which i liked btw, but the effects in the main universe not so much, i mean depowering jubilee and then let her become a vampire so she can be usefull again?? really??)
    How about bringing back Jean Grey? It could be done without the whole phoenix thing and hopefully she won't have the nasty habit of dying every couple of years.

On the flip side, many great stories might not have happend either, like mutant massacre, inferno or civil war among others...
    Still a lot of these stories are old and hard to get if you have never read them, a lot of younger readers right now might never have heard of them. 

If i'm reading about the same characters doing the same stuff without growing much older in the next 30 years (if comics still exist that far in the future), maybe it might be refreshing to have a reboot now and again just to modernize the universe and lose a lot of unwanted baggage. 

although the next image, just feels wrong somehow even for me.
    (GL meeting batman for the first time even though readers have seen them together in comics for years)

No Caption Provided

so would you support a MCU relaunch? and why or why not?
    The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#2  Edited By The Poet  Moderator
    @Michiel76: I'm not really a marvel fan, but I believe there have been relaunches (or revamps) periodically. I doubt however, that Marvel would do a full relaunch of everything. It has more to loose than DC.
    harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By harleyquinn12

Yes. While Marvel is doing OK right now, a relaunch would breath fresh air into all their books. Fear Itself has been lagging a bit.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By RisingBean

I would. The spiteful part of me would even chuckle at all the asses who desired the Ultimate universe's demise just because they were not into it.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By Timandm

At this point... 

• Shadowland
    • One More Day
    • Age of X
    • Prelude to "it's going to be bad.  Real bad.  Sooo bad... So very very bad... So FREAKING bad..."
    • Chaos Wars
    • Civil War
    YES!  Absolutely!  I'd love a reboot right about now...
    RedRobin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By RedRobin92

Marvel doing a complete relaunch/reboot makes way more sense than DC doing it. Marvel needs a breath of fresh air, and while they are currently doing it with some books and heroes, a complete new start would be perfect for them right now. 

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Nerx

Yes since I am a longtime spider-man fan 

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Michiel76

Wow, i'm amazed at how many people are in fact pro reboot of the marvel universe, while i get the feeling that DC fans are not in favor of the DC reboot.
    i guess i'm not alone in this.
    The more i think about it, the more i would love to see a reboot of the MCU.
    the MCU just seems like a big mess to me right now.

thanks everyone for replying, and feel free to keep commenting.

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Michiel76
    @Timandm: i know exactly what your talking about, although i enjoyed Civil War.
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i think Marvel at this time needs a reboot more than Dc, Dc right now is actually really interesting especially the Batman and Green Lantern stuff, and the team books like Titans, Secret Six, Birds of Prey and Legion of superheroes, Marvel on the other hand has been recycling a lot of stories lately and to be honest they haven't produced a good book since Annihilation, personally i would have rather seen the Ultimate universe replace the 616 universe, i read more ultimate titles than i did regular continuity ones 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11  Edited By SC  Moderator

Maybe, depends, but at a conceptual level, no, because this still punishes the good comic writers who are okay with learning back history but still using there discretion to create new reader friendly and accessible comics in favor of making things easier for the lazier, less creative writers and this also promotes gimmicky short term solutions to larger and bigger issues/problems with the industry. All the problems any company has CAN actually be fixed without a reboot. Marvel for example is not trying to keep Spider-man and Mary Jane apart, they are trying to put them into that off and on, subtle flirting stage, because generally that's more rewarding for (more) readers. All media does this, Its a case ironically enough of rewarding shorter term fans over longer term fans. This is also why Supes is being broken up and one of the defenses by Marvel with OMD, when questioned with Superman, was pointing out that comic wise, Superman wasn't doing so well (given how aware causal and non comic fans are with him, he should be #1 on sales chart each month) and some like Tom Brevoort even suggested that DC might break him and Lois up in the near future and...  

So anyway, good writers like Peter David, on X-Factor, Dan Slott on Spider-man, Kieron Gillen and Journey Into Mystery, and others like Jonathan Hickman, Marjorie Liu, Mike Carey, K&Y etc who do good work, accessible work, work that is conscious of history and continuity of characters, and fans of those characters and writers and books? I am not so keen on them being punished for fans who weren't buying those books anyway and need gimmicks in order to jump aboard (they'll probably jump right off in a few weeks anyway because most comic fans suck ay discerning personal objective opinions with objective arguments/reasoning. 

Then again, a good writer will always be a good writer and if that's how more fans work these days and it makes more money for the company short term and long term, that its less of a yes or no question, but something that has to be done. (of course in this situation, Marvel has the luxury if sitting back and seeing how things go with DC) 

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By Timandm
    @Michiel76 said:
    @Timandm: i know exactly what your talking about, although i enjoyed Civil War.
    I have to admit, I actually enjoyed the Civil War event; I just hated some of the fall out.  I also hated things I felt they left unresolved.   I feel like the current Marvel universe is like an old used car that has so many broken parts that the whole thing just needs to be replaced.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.