Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Worst Marvel Chief in Editor of all time?

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By zero edge

With all the backlash Quesada has gotten for OMD, just wondering who everyone thought is the worst Chief for Marvel ever. Mine is still a toss up between Tom Defalco and Bob Harras for that fiasco in the 90s.

kuchiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By kuchiku

i hate joe quesada hes an awful editor its like a 3 year old is editing comics its sad!!!

Deathscythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Deathscythe

Unfortunately, I wasn't a comic fan back in the 90s so I have no idea what Harras and Defalco did, maybe you could elaborate on it, Zero Edge?

Since Quesada is really the only editor I've known since I've been a Marvel fan, he gets my vote. I still don't understand what the point of retconning was going to achieve? He could achieved the effect he wanted by using conventional means. That's not assuming his plan wasn't to get as much media attention as he could so he could sell more comics. As much as fans may have spoken about dropping Spidey, I don't think a majority of them will. But you never really know.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

#4  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Quesada's been a good editor for the most part. One single action can't undo everything he's done. Oh wait! That's exactly what happened with Spider-Man! I suppose it can then, huh.

That wasn't too heavy handed was it? Seriously though, I'm with Deathscythe. Quesada's the only editor I've known so he wins by default.

Deathscythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Deathscythe

Buckshot says:

"Quesada's been a good editor for the most part. One single action can't undo *everything* he's done. Oh wait! That's *exactly* what happened with Spider-Man! I suppose it can then, huh.That wasn't too heavy handed was it? Seriously though, I'm with Deathscythe. Quesada's the only editor I've known so he wins by default."

Not at all, when one single action affects 20+ years of history it's the equivalent of about 100 screw-ups. Moreso, if the character is as iconic as Spider-Man. Quesada deserves the onslaught of anger and aggression he's getting at the moment. One can only hope, however, that there is some way to fix what seems to be impossible at the moment. And perhaps that "impossibility" is just the anger fans feel.

kuchiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kuchiku

Quesada messed up house of m new x-men was not that good of a read becauyse of him

Avatar image for sadie_halliwell
    Sadie Halliwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sadie Halliwell

I had no idea..

kuchiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kuchiku

uh huh

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zero edge

During Delfalco's run there was another big Spidey controversy, it was revealed that the Spider-Man who was in comics for the past 20 years was really a clone. This caused the Clone Saga to pretty much suck from then on, and last for over 2 years because they didn't know how to fix the problem. Marvel was now in financial problems. Harras took over after Delfalco was fired. He didn't do that great of a job either, making their financial problems even worst to the point where they almost went bankrupt. Harras was also the reason the Green Goblin was brought back and made a huge part of the Clone Saga which was really lame. Then there was the whole Heroes Reborn thing that I absolutely hated.

As much as Quesada has pissed me off, he did save Marvel from bankruptcy.

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Sparda

Wow.......based on what Zero said, I think it's a tie so far with Defalco and Quesada.....although, like he said, Quesada did same Marvel from bankruptcy.

iwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iwan

I loved Defalco's MC2 universe, so I'm gonna have to stand up for him here :P

acewasp23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By acewasp23

Buckshot says:

"Quesada's been a good editor for the most part. One single action can't undo *everything* he's done. Oh wait! That's *exactly* what happened with Spider-Man! I suppose it can then, huh. That wasn't too heavy handed was it? Seriously though, I'm with Deathscythe. Quesada's the only editor I've known so he wins by default."

meh i think i did more than just the Spiderman retconning. killing Steve Rodgers, registering all meta humans like slaves, making Ironman into a Villain in some peoples eye's or an a$$ in others, getting rid of the Bruce Banner character and giving the Incredible Hulk title to Hercules are a few things that i don't like about marvel at the moment. its like he is trying to kill or ruin the classics. even the X-men have felt his wrath with decimation and the coming of the Omega lvl mutants(they are cool, but why dose the X-men have to have 3 of them on there roster). i haven't been interested in marvel comics since the end of WWH, Ruining spiderman wasn't a big surprise to me either.

he may of pulled them out of the gutter but Quesada has my vote.

Deathscythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Deathscythe

Ahhh, interesting, so it was during Defalco and Harras time that the famed "Clone Saga" came into existence.

Quesada may have saved Marvel from bankruptcy back then but if things keep heading down the road there are now, whose to say Marvel won't be facing that same problem in a few months? I stand by my earlier statement, as much as 95% of the Spider-Man fandom may say they're dropping Spider-Man after the OMD fiasco, I doubt they really will. Now if things keep devolving into a state of utter confusion with little to no explanation of what's exactly "canon" and what is not, that might trigger a lot of fans taking their business elsewhere.

And I have to agree with Acewasp, a lot of things have happened during Quesada's tenure that have made fans weary, aside from the Spider-Man issue. Still months after the fact I still hate how they killed Steve off. It told a great story but.... he was Captain America for goodness sake! (Sorry fangirl moment.) And then the characterization of Tony Stark. Granted I understand that many things of what he did were in character, but to turn him into a complete douche? So many writers have just turned him into a running joke in my opinion. I mean what was up with the whole weather controlling satellites in Mighty Avengers which he didn't tell anyone at all about?! And jesus, you'd think after all the emphasis they had with him pretty much choking up at Steve's funeral and when he was by himself saying "it wasn't worth it," they'd TRY to show him mourn a little bit and reflect a bit on what he's done and what's happened because of those actions, both the good and the bad. Definitely not a big fan of Quesada's tenure as Marvel Editor-in-Chief and how it looks like now, whoever they put in as EiC next will have a A LOT of ground to cover if they're goal is to screw around with characters histories and actions as has happened during Quesada's stint.

Post Edited:2008-01-09 16:06:41

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Apparently, we've had our share of idiots running Marvel haven't we? I say those are the top three though. Quesada gets a little slack for getting Marvel out of bankruptsy. But for erasing EVERYTHING from issue 98 up still, annoys me. Cap's death, great story, WWH, great story, Civil War, to quote Peter "Spectacular" story, One More Day, WTF!? Spider-Man got the worst of it all because his entire history was erased in one fell swoop. He has no history now, he's just like, there. I'm annoyed. Delfalco's an a$$ too for doing the Clone Saga. We all know how THAT went, so forget about it. I say these are the biggest jackass*s on God's green earth for ruining greatness. Quesada's the number one a$$, the other two are tied. I sure as hell hope Marvel gets Stan back, we need a good editor this time. Hopefully things will get better...
    Post Edited:2008-01-09 16:00:05

Deathscythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Deathscythe

Agreed. Marvel needs Stan "The Man" back! Just to read "Excelsior" and "true believer" would be all worth it.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sling Shot

I haven't read OMD, what did Quesada do?

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Sling Shot says:

"I haven't read OMD, what did Quesada do?"

He erased EVERYTHING that happened in the Spider-Man's story from issue number 98 up. He ruined it so now there pretty much is no Spider-Man. The Other was destroyed, Morlun's gone, everything's gone.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Wow no mention of Jim Shooter. Its like comparing presidents though, different times, different context. Defalco did what he could with crappy ownership although the Clone Saga was a disaster. Harras was in a bad position inheriting the company while its tanking with crappy corporate ownership and losing market share to the competition which he realistically had little control over. Then again Harras & Defalco can totally be held accountable for all the damn gimmicks and watering down the brand with two dozen different mini series and 50 different ongoing series going every month, killing Malibu (Harras), generally crappy and pointless editorial decisions like retcons and meaningless deaths. Quesada has to generate interest in comics one way or another with readership where it is now so I think its easier to understand his decisions in that context. Spider-Man/Mary Jane thing got mentioned in People magazine, Cap getting killed was a story for weeks.

They all sucked in their own special way.

acewasp23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By acewasp23

Deathscythe says:

"Agreed. Marvel needs Stan "The Man" back! Just to read "Excelsior" and "true believer" would be all worth it. "

yeah Stan kicks a$$. LoL

Kraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kraven

My avatar says it all.

You know an editor is BAD when they insist on making editorial mandates involving flagship characters that neither the writers or the fans approve of. I heard that he was even going to make Gwen Stacy alive again in Brand New Day but other editors were able to talk him out of it.

Deathscythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deathscythe

acewasp23 says:

"yeah Stan kicks a$$. LoL"

LMAO. I knew Stan was the man, but never to THIS extent.

Do you see the mastery in his punches and his body's stance?

Stan Lee is... Excelsior, A$$kicker Extraordinaire.... and he's just gotten a new "official" fangirl!

Bookman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Bookman

Colt Python says:

"OMD is bad but I wouldn't say Quesada is the worst ED&C ever.There has been worse Spider-man story arcs."
    Oh, yeah? Now there is a HUGE contuniety problem. If I remember right Spider-Man is still a New Avengers member. And if I'm wrong, I haven't seen any search attempt from any hero. Spider-Man was an important person in many storylines.How wil this change in the current timeline? Not only that, JJ is having a heart attack and the Daily Bugle is going bankrupt. Yeah, its the worst storyline.
    Post Edited:2008-01-21 15:03:47
    Airstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Airstrike

acewasp23 says:

"Buckshot says:
    "Quesada's been a good editor for the most part. One single action can't undo *everything* he's done. Oh wait! That's *exactly* what happened with Spider-Man! I suppose it can then, huh. That wasn't too heavy handed was it? Seriously though, I'm with Deathscythe. Quesada's the only editor I've known so he wins by default."
    meh i think i did more than just the Spiderman retconning. killing Steve Rodgers, registering all meta humans like slaves, making Ironman into a Villain in some peoples eye's or an a$$ in others, getting rid of the Bruce Banner character and giving the Incredible Hulk title to Hercules are a few things that i don't like about marvel at the moment. its like he is trying to kill or ruin the classics. even the X-men have felt his wrath with decimation and the coming of the Omega lvl mutants(they are cool, but why dose the X-men have to have 3 of them on there roster). i haven't been interested in marvel comics since the end of WWH, Ruining spiderman wasn't a big surprise to me either. he may of pulled them out of the gutter but Quesada has my vote. "
    Airstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Airstrike

Post Deleted.

panda21595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By panda21595

I like that the majority of everyone here is talking about the spider-man controversy. Yes making his history just disappear may have screwed up the MU a little, but have you been reading Brand New Day yet? They are not done with the arc yet. I say we do not judge until we know where he's taking this. So I can forgive him. Because of One more day, even though long time fans got pissed, many saw the new story as interesting, not to mention many who got pulled in to reading spidey now.

Cap getting killed off did anger me, being a GIANT Captain America Fan. But the story that emerged from his death was amazing. I knew Cap would die one day, as all heroes will, but he died leaving a mark in history and an impression on all who knew that will last forever.

Anyone who says Planet Hulk or WWH was bad should be smashed by the behemoth himself. Those stories brought a new level of greatness for the Hulk.

His new take on Iron Man is good. So what, he's an a$$. It's in his nature, and anyways almost every major hero beat him up for what he's done, so he's learned his lesson. So I'm fine with the new Tony, despite his deeds.

No one has brought up Thor or any cosmic heroes, you know why? because it was a good decision to make them more prominent. Thor has a great story going, and Nova, Silver Surfer, and the Guardians of the Galaxy are now major players in MU. About damn time if you ask me.

The Messiah complex was a great storyline, making up for decimation and House of M. The current X titles are being pumped out and so far I have loved everything.

Also, his plans to bring the Arcane of the MU sound interesting. A new team lead by Dr. Strange may be in the works.

And then there's Secret Invasion (Which everyone better be reading), so far so good.

I did not like some of his decisions though. FF have been hit and miss. Even though I liked that he brought Black Panther into a more mainstream book, the stories seemed like filler. And his allowing of Reed Richards acting stupid during certain events (cough CIVIL WAR cough) made me kinda mad.

Also this new Ghost Rider Arc is kinda weird. It raises many questions but doesn't answer any, not to mention it seems to have bits and pieces type of storyline.

All in all, I think that even though Joe's actions seem to have taken a turn for the worse in some people's eyes, in a few years many will look back and see how good his term was. Anyway, people will always point out the flaws not matter who the EIC was, and sometimes overlook the good they have done. When determining whether one's actions were good or bad, you must look at all he has done, not just the extreme negatives.

However, I agree with others that Defalco and Harras were both questionable in their actions.
    Post Edited:2008-05-15 23:19:02

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.