Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Why Is Thor Not So Popular?

WWQ3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

He's basically Marvel's version of Superman, but hardly anyone knows him.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Veshark

Thanks to his movie and the Avengers - many people 'know' the character.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 vance_astro  Moderator

I don't think he's as important to Marvel as characters like Captain America,Iron Man,Spider-Man,Wolverine and their top 3 teams. He has to take a backseat to them. They get all the films, the animated series, the games, all the exposure. Thor has basically been confined to comics for the longest time. The Avengers films and his own personal films are and will help though.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jack Donaghy

Don't know what you're talking about OP but Thor is easily one of the top 10 most popular Marvel characters, I'd say he's the 3rd or 4th most popular Avenger after Iron Man and Hulk. Cap is the only other Avenger who may be more popular than him.

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You ARE joking right?? Thor is more popular now than he's ever been. And his fanboys are numerous...

shakwinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

He's popular. Just watch the audiences reaction to his sequels trailer when watching Iron Man 3 and you will see what I mean. Also check out my web comics at www.shakwinn.wordpress.com. Here is a preview.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_red_viper  Moderator

Don't know what you're talking about OP but Thor is easily one of the top 10 most popular Marvel characters, I'd say he's the 3rd or 4th most popular Avenger after Iron Man and Hulk. Cap is the only other Avenger who may be more popular than him.

I'm pretty sure that both Spiderman and Wolverine are more popular than Thor.

Anyways, I think it's because characters who are human are easier to like than gods, like Thor.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_donaghy said:

I'm pretty sure that both Spiderman and Wolverine are more popular than Thor.

Anyways, I think it's because characters who are human are easier to like than gods, like Thor.

Uh... yeah I know never said he's more popular than them. I said he's top 4 in terms of Avengers as in the one's from the movie who casual fans know of. And he's top 10 in Marvel popularity:

1. Spider-Man

2. Iron Man

3. Wolverine

4. The Hulk

5. Thor

6. Captain America

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_red_viper  Moderator

@jack_donaghy: Oh, didn't know you were just talking about the movie.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By PowerHerc

Thor is less popular than he should be (and he used to be) because Marvel has decided to use him as a jobber to many times.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. I dont think hes "Marvel's version of Superman".

2. The idea that "hardly anybody knows him" in post the Avengers movie is preposterous. Seriously.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel doesn't have a superman

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think there are several reasons. 1) He is basically a character "stolen" from Norse mythology, so not a character created by DC or Marvel from scratch.

2) I was always put off by the old fashioned way he used to speak in the comics back in the day. Made him a bit strange.

3) He is supposed to be the Marvel "superman" but gets his arse kicked by Hulk everytime they meet, which rather undermines his status in this respect. The Avengers Movie was a fairly good example where the Hulk was giving him a fair wooping during their brief exchanges!

4) He has never been in a TV series or Film until now, so people don't know him as well as Superman/Hulk/Batman/Spiderman and even wonder woman, who people like me grew up with in the 1970s, 80s.

Other than that I think he is a great character with great potential. The first Thor film was really excellent I thought.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Personally, Thor is one of my favorite Marvel characters, definitely in my top five. I think he appeals to a certain fanbase. If you're a fan, of Norse mythology, you'll love Thor.

Personally, I just love the history, and his powers. I have one huge, realistic Thor hammer prop just mounted on the wall in the living room. He's a great character.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thor is less popular than he should be (and he used to be) because Marvel has decided to use him as a jobber to many times.

This pretty much.

The amount of times Marvel has used Thor as basically a "punching bag" is ridiculous and probably doesn't help to increase his popularity that much. He's right up there with my favorites, but not when Marvel allows most of the other powerhouses to get a smack-down on him whenever they meet Thor.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I don't hate Thor. But I think he's an example of lazy superhero design. I mean, what if DC took King Arthur and turned him into a member of the Justice League? Actually that sounds kind of cool now that I think of it...

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor's unpopular? News to me.

Get thee to reading Thor GoT title. It's amazing.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@lykopis said:

Thor's unpopular? News to me.

Get thee to reading Thor GoT title. It's amazing.

yeah it is.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I think Thor is plenty popular, I personally only know of one person who has him at "favorite hero" status though. Which, when it comes to heroes, many people always talk about their favorites.

Avatar image for dantetheredknight
    DanteTheRedKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well, I never liked him until after the movie, but as a comic book fan I know the movie Thor is not the REAL Thor. I think it's the beard or the fact he's a god. Oh and he's definitely not Marvel's superman.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who gives a crap about why he isn't popular it's the same with Cap. People don't care to that I say hater will hate. I've always liked Thor's mytho's and character far more than I did Hulk's only liked Hulk for Banner really. I loved Thor for what Lee and Kirby made their brand version of Thor that was different from the actual mythology. Combining scifi and super heroes into one beautiful visual tale. To me fan shouldn't care what the masses think as long as you like him that's all that matters.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMO as of now he may have a rising number of fans. His just not that well known or promoted during the years passed.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Maybe because he is a less complex character than Hulk, Spidey or Iron Man.

People likes to share similarities with his favorite heroes, sharing a similarity with Thor is a bit hard.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

People definitely know Thor, but his movie appearances haven't exactly been spectacular; this is coming from a Thor fan.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

He's not Marvel's Superman, he's Marvel's Wonder Woman. And just like her, he's well known, but not as much as other A listers.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.