Why does Hulk always have to win?

#1 Edited by Bezza (3859 posts) - - Show Bio

Look I know he is "the strongest one there is", but there's more to fighting than just brute strength, so why does Hulk always have to win? I bought WW Hulk to see what the fuss was and whilst it was an entertaining read of sorts, it was ludicrous how he just trashed every other character who went up against up him and almost broke America. When I was a kid in the 70s, Hulk was rated a "9" in the strength category on my Marvel Top trumps, alongside Thor and Silver Surfer. Thor was always supposed to be as strong as Hulk, but with the added advantages of speed, flying, his hammer, lightning and general fighting skills honed through years of fighting on Asgard, ergo in a fight you'd expect Thor to edge it with his all round powers. Yet it seems when Thor and Hulk square up (i.e. the Avengers movie & the Hulk versus animated movie) Hulk is comfortably more powerful. Heck, Wolverine gave Hulk a better fight that Thor in the Hulk versus series!!

Does the Hulk need a bit of a re-boot like post crisis Superman to put him more on a par with other top line Marvel heroes, more like he was in the 70s and 80s?

#2 Posted by God_Spawn (38293 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk's fine. Sure his powerset isn't the most extravagant, but he's never needed it. He's supposed to be "the strongest one there is" for a reason. And while he isn't the strongest Marvel character, he is up there. Thor has plenty of attacks that beat Hulk, but if you take into consideration how characters operate, he won't use them and he has no need to start god blasting Hulk all the time, hence why he takes to melee combat and uses the lightning for the majority of the time. And considering you're basing things off non-canon media it isn't something to worry about. They aren't canon to the 616 media, so what happens in the movies is completely irrelevant.

So no. Hulk doesn't need a reboot. His character is fine the way he is right now.

#3 Posted by darthphoenix (978 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't think hulk would be able to beat captain america. lol

#4 Edited by mk111 (3139 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthphoenix:

....Really? Hulk could one-shot Cap, unless Cap runs away.

#5 Edited by tigerkaya (1281 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he meant he country. But yeah Hulk would destroy Cap screw Fallen Son's logic.

#6 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6456 posts) - - Show Bio

Popularity, thats why characters like wolverine can fight with hulk or crappy movies like "hulk vs thor" can be made.

#7 Edited by God_Spawn (38293 posts) - - Show Bio

@norrinboltagonprime21 said:

Popularity, thats why characters like wolverine can fight with hulk or crappy movies like "hulk vs thor" can be made.

Wolverine debuted fighting the Hulk. Popularity has nothing to do with Logan fighting him. Popularity does mean a character gets more showings, thus allowing for a greater chance of getting wins due to more exposure.

#8 Posted by darthphoenix (978 posts) - - Show Bio

marvel wouldnt even dare put cap in a no-win situation.

#9 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

marvel wouldnt even dare put cap in a no-win situation.

H'whuh? Cap's lost plenty of fights....

#10 Posted by DeathSamurai (537 posts) - - Show Bio

well now a days hulk has got alot smarter and got some fighting skills too.

#11 Posted by rugrat (174 posts) - - Show Bio

there are cheats to beat the hulk

but its usually something that either stops hulk altogether

or turns him back to banner 4:30

you cant beat hulk in hand to hand eventually he'll get too strong

#12 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

My favourite

#13 Posted by Dayvid3 (855 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a pretty beloved character. Bit different in the comics, but I think people just loved when he would get mad, turn into the hulk and scare the hell out of/and toss around the bad guys, like in the old live action series. The whole ...don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry, line is rather ingrained in the culture.

#14 Edited by PowerHerc (85335 posts) - - Show Bio

The Hulk must always win because it's in Marvel's interest to show him as and promote him as an unbeatable powerhouse. It's business. Strictly business.

#15 Posted by kbrackie (39 posts) - - Show Bio

1. He's a hero.

2. He's big as a house

3. I've never seen him pee on the front of his pants while taking a leak.

Stupid human!!!

#16 Posted by Tyrus (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't always win, hell Hulk lost to DC's "Always wins" character - freaking Batman :P

#17 Posted by rugrat (174 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus: how did batman beat him ?

#18 Posted by Lieutenant_Awkward (116 posts) - - Show Bio

@rugrat said:

@tyrus: how did batman beat him ?

Apparently he beat him with some knockout gas and a kick to the solar plexus. Although in my opinion even someone with peak human physical strength like batman couldn't make the hulk whimper with a kick. Hulk's just too tough for that sort of thing.

#19 Edited by Strider92 (16825 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the writer said so?

#20 Posted by Teerack (7420 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do people keep making these same pointless threads?

#21 Posted by NICK31898 (2181 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: He may not be the strongest, but he has the most strength, if that makes sense....... He may not the most power, but he has the most physical strength.....

#22 Posted by harff4 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: Because the hulk has no problem fighting speedsters or flyers. no matter how high you fly the hulk can jump higher. And he also has unlimited gamma power which is the most powerful thing that we know of in real life.

#23 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18685 posts) - - Show Bio

Who the hell come up with the idea that hulk always wins?

Zeus?

Zom?

Void?

Many characters have beaten the hulk, but he is just Very powerful, so he beats weaker characters, same way thor, juggernaut, and Superman does. jeez/

#24 Posted by jardern96 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Their is no question the hulk just can't be beat in head on physical confrontation as his strength is unlimited as his anger increases so often it is the weaker but more intelligent characters like somebody like batman beast or reed richards that could beat him using technology or a carefully prepared strategy

#25 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does Batman always win? Why does Superman always win? Because they are heroes and in the end the hero always wins.

#26 Edited by Captainamerica119 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

SPIDERMAN beat the HULK in the original comics. Cap has claimed he beat the Hulk before. Hulk vs. was crap

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.