Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Why do marvel games suck?

• 66 results
    WarMachine168

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By WarMachine168

Whats going with the video games of Marvel, They always suck so bad. 
    When a movie about marvel a superhero comes out ,then chances are you'll found out
    that they will making a video game tied into the movie. We all know the outcomes of the
    games, either it''s really bad or its just plain crap.

A lot of good marvel characters have been ruined by this

Iron Man
    War Machine
    Thor
    Spider Man 
    Wolverine
    Punisher
    Hulk
    Captain America
    Fantastic Four
    Gambit
    Not Avengers

I don't know why are they doing this, they hire non professionals game developers
     like next level games or liquid entertainment  to make a movie tie in a game with the most 
     awesome Marvel superheroes then all of a sudden they do  their best to make it a gaming piece of shit.

My advice to them is to start hiring gaming developers like

Rocksteady
    Ubisoft
    Konami
    BioWare
    Atari
    Sony
    Guerrilla Games
    Ninja Techmo
    Capcom

To work on these titles, these companies are seasoned developers that know how to make real games, and won't dissapoint.
    They have years of gaming experience and have large staff of game designers who are geniuses.

Second advice is to stop making games based on the movies and do on it the comic books. Really why would some one who watch a movie on Iron Man 2
    would want to play the exact same thing in a video game. NO ONE! . I meant that they should pull out a section from their comic books and expand on it making
    it interesting.

Final advice is to stop making a short a ass video game because no one likes to see a video game  end so quickly. They gotta extend the story narrative to make it more
    action packed, sinister and solid. Like I said they should pull out an awesome section from their comic books and expand on it. I don't want to hear about no cheap boot legged story
    with no meaning to, I want to hear some thing that is raw,action packed and full of surprises.

One more thing, stop the rated T crap, I mean come some of the marvel character are real violent and deadly they gotta be rated M not T. And stop releasing the game as soon the movie shows up because some of them are not ready yet or polished to perfection.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Like what Superman: Returns the video game?

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Death Certificate

Not all of them suck.

Iron_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Iron_Turtle

Ultimate Destruction was a lot of fun.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Death Certificate said:
    " Not all of them suck. "
    Spider-man: shattered dimensions was really good
    Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wise Son
    @Death Certificate said:
    Yeah, MUA wasn't terrible. 
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Gambit1024

The only ones I liked were Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, The Incredible Hulk (because it was basically the same thing, lol), MUA, both X-Men Legends, and Web of Shadows (never played Shattered Dimensions). 

Other than those, I kind of agree with the OP. Marvel should start getting with non-movie games based on their characters. Not just Spider-Man and Hulk, but lesser known ones too. I'd love to play a Moon Knight game or a Black Panther game. 
    Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Death Certificate
    @spiderbat87 said:
    " @Death Certificate said:
    Spider-man: shattered dimensions was really good "

I liked that game as well, point is that I disagree with the OP, I could list a bunch of good marvel games.
    A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By A_O_N

Usually games made from movie material end up being horrible. But Marvel Ultimate Alliance was good and I liked Rise of the Imperfects.

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheSheepHerder

They're horrible because they're games that have been in production for only eight months, then the game is rushed out to stores and most of the time the development team and publisher is only doing it for the money. A lot of people will buy anything with a big "Spider-Man" on the cover.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Activision already makes good Marvel games.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Most of these games were terrible because they were games based on movies, which are generally just a part of the movies' merchandising tie-ins. Anybody here old enough to remember the E.T. game for the Atari 2600? It was decades ago, but it seems like the producers are still following the same basic pattern when it comes to movie tie-in games.

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

I like the MUA games and Shattered Dimensions. They don't suck.

Movie games, yeah, they usually suck.

Evpraksiya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Evpraksiya

"Fandom" is less than general masses, general masses doesn't know sh*t about games, and they spend money none the less so Marvel don't give a crap about what they do, less money in the developpement more money when they sell it, and fans will still be fans as long as the comic isn't touched. (Dc haven't understand that with their new WW vision for example, they give us a TV show and a comic sh*t at the same time, now i'm ashamed when people ask me about WW , and have to specify the fact that it's the former WW that was good.but it's not the subject here.)

Less talent / less effort put in development + people with lack of taste (aka masses blinded by a super production )=  More money/Fast money
    Less talent/ less effort  put in development  + ''fan''/ connoisseur = vomit taste = Way less money for Marv/DC/etc , puzzled and less tempted. 
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    • X-Men Legends
    • X-Men Legends II
    • Marvel vs Capcom Series (not 3)
    • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1
    • Spider-Man 2
    • Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
    • Spider-Man: Web of Shadows splits the difference between great and terrible. Great gameplay, terrible story and characters development.
    • Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions was fun, but doesn't have a lot of replay value. I clocked it, and haven't played it since.

They're all good Marvel games. MUA 2 and MvC3 were not, though.
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CATPANEXE

lost my interest when you mentioned Ubisoft, the company that tanked the Turtles series.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @CATPANEXE said:
    " lost my interest when you mentioned Ubisoft, the company that tanked the Turtles series. "
    Ubisoft are tremendously overrated. Assassin's Creed is fun for about an hour. Then it's just the same crap over and over.
    azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By azza04

Why do they suck? One word SEGA

I did actually quite enjoy the Punisher game on the PS2 though :D
    Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vitality
    @WarMachine168 said:
    "
     Whats going with the video games of Marvel, They always suck so bad. 
    When a movie about marvel a superhero comes out ,then chances are you'll found out
    that they will making a video game tied into the movie. We all know the outcomes of the
    games, either it''s really bad or its just plain crap.

A lot of good marvel characters have been ruined by this

Iron Man
    War Machine
    Thor
    Spider Man 
    Wolverine
    Punisher
    Hulk
    Captain America
    Fantastic Four
    Gambit
    Not Avengers

"

A bad video game ruins the character for you?
    Full_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Full_Spectrum

the main problem is that it takes a year and a half to go from script to openning night with a film. a video game takes at least 3 years to do correctly. MUA, spiderman: web of shadows, Spiderman: shattered dimentions, and X-men legends were all made without being dependant on a movie for promoting, plot, ect...

when any movie is converted into game, it leads to an overly simplified plot and generally poor game quality. you can tell that it was put together in a hurry, there was little time to polish and NO beta testing. the perfect example is Tron: Evolution. it was made to corespond with Tron Legacy, but since Legacy only took two years to make, the game was horrendously simple, without all the trully awesome things you would expect having seen the film. there is very limitted light-cycle action. odd camera work and a plethora of uncomfortable gaming moments. Now if they had taken another year or so to polish out a higher quality game with a bit more depth and higher "polish" you would have an awesome game. The same goes for marvel, but in this case even more so because you have a fully developed character you are trying not to butcher.

It hasn't been until lately that good comic book games are coming out like arkham asylum or shattered dimensions. clearly, the powers that be have begun to get a grip on what consumers want, so there is hope yet!!

brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By brc2000

As previously mentioned, games that are made to cash-in on recent movies will usually suck. There are some that will turn out to be successful, like Escape from Butcher Bay, but those are rare. MUA and Arkham Asylum are not movie tie-ins and are generally liked.

Not a fan of any of the games I mentioned above, btw.

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
    GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GrandSymbiote94

I heard the people that are making the new spider-man are getting help from Peter David to make the story line better or something like that.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#24  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Games don't suck because they are made to go hand and hand with movies.Ghost Rider,Hulk,Iron Man 2,etc. These games sucked because of who made them not because they were rushed or tried to copy the movie.

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

I like Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
    Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
    FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought this game was so underrated. In fact this game should have been what the movie wasn't.

ninkai300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ninkai300

I do agree with all of yall, and i know how it feels when you want to bye a video game with your favorite marvel super hero only to find out that !!THE!! game sucks like !!!Monkey Balls!!! 
    If I have to be honest the only marvel that i think was your money worth it   was marvel ultimate alliance 1 and 2, Spider-man web of shadows and spider-man 2. the rest is just poor made. Whats wrong with marvel does is really take an Einstein to figure out that a great game takes tikme and preparation. I am sure they could make a spider-man game that is as good batman aa or maybe better :D

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chaos Burn

I just wish they'd listen to the fans for a decent MUA3

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By the_tree

A lot of them were movie tie-ins, so they're expected to suck. 
    I actually enjoyed Shattered Dimensions, Spider-Man 2, Web of Shadows, and Ultimate Alliance.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#30  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

There a lot of good Marvel games, when you think about it other than Arkham Asylum there isnt that many good DC games.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#31  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @FortressoftheMoon said:

I always thought this game was so underrated. In fact this game should have been what the movie wasn't.

No Caption Provided

Honestly with some minor tweaks, they could have had this game set in the present, still had all of the characters like Gambit, Mystique, Blob,. ect and it could have been completely separate from the movie and would have still been a freakin' epic game. Honestly they could have even played around with the future Wolverine/present Wolverine and had the player jump back and forth as you try to fight to change the future while also fighting to SURVIVE the future.
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#32  Edited By Dracade102

I liked the first two movie-based Spider-man games for the X-box, Shattered Dimensions, Web of Shadows, Ultimate Alliance and the X-men Arcade game... In fact, aside from Arkham Asylum I don't remember any good DC-based video games...

WildStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WildStyle

Is this a joke? The only good DC games I can even think of are the recent Batman games. The Justice League game and DC vs Mortal Kombat were mediocre.

Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
    The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FadeToBlackBolt said:
    • X-Men Legends
    • X-Men Legends II
    • Marvel vs Capcom Series (not 3)
    • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1
    • Spider-Man 2
    • Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
    • Spider-Man: Web of Shadows splits the difference between great and terrible. Great gameplay, terrible story and characters development.
    • Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions was fun, but doesn't have a lot of replay value. I clocked it, and haven't played it since.
     They're all good Marvel games. MUA 2 and MvC3 were not, though.    
    Agreed with everything above ^.^ 
     Though i did like MvC3 it was actually a really fun game.
    Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Transformers1024

- Marvel vs Capcom 3

- Marvel Ultimate Alliance

- Ultimate Spiderman

- Spiderman Shattered Dimensions

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

I think the reason that Marvel make bad games because they don't take the video game industry seriously as they do with the movies. DC have on the other hand have found niches of various game genres where they can place their characters in and they work, the Arkham games are action-adventure/plaformer games while LEGO DC games were puzzle solvers then Injustice games was a fighting game, each one of these will appeal at least one general audience member and in turn they have success.

Not to say Marvel hasn't done bad games, Marvel Ultimate Alliance was an awesome game and so some of the Spiderman games.

skypilotbinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lego Marvel Super Heroes is the best Marvel game I've played. I generally stay far away from movie tie in games so I've only really played the X-Men Legend series, Ultimate Alliance series and M vs C 2 and 3. I really liked the old Sega Genesis X-Men games too.

Avatar image for icametoaskquestions
    Icametoaskquestions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capcom??? No just no...But yeah Marvel video games suck overall compared to DC.

The last REALLY good Marvel game was Hulk Ultimate Destruction. Marvel had those two good Spiderman games back on the PS1. Marvel Ultimate Alliance was okay, better than the first IMO.

Angrymeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt: they have made some pretty good games besides Assisins Creed I'm not a fan of that game either though

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last REALLY good Marvel game was Hulk Ultimate Destruction. Marvel had those two good Spiderman games back on the PS1. Marvel Ultimate Alliance was okay, better than the first IMO.

I wouldn't go that far considering DC really only has one great game franchise (Arkham), it's just that Marvel has yet to make a game that really has the quality of that franchise.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_stranglehold_da_first said:

I wouldn't go that far considering DC really only has one great game franchise (Arkham), it's just that Marvel has yet to make a game that really has the quality of that franchise.

True. But DC also has Injustice Gods Among Us which I loved and also the lego games which my brother enjoys.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FearTheLiving

@king_stranglehold_da_first: And Marvel has Marvel vs Capcom and Lego Marvel, but I wouldn't put any of those (including Injustice and Lego Batman) higher than the Arkham games in terms of quality.

EDIT Wow just realized initial topic was made 2 and a half years ago.

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
    HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well yeah, most movie tie-in games are pretty lousy. A lot of the ones they've made that were stand alone games are pretty darn good. And Wolverine: Origins was surprisingly awesome. That could've been so much more if they went away from the movie. Especially after the Sentinel bit.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By tigerkaya

Not true my favorites to this day are still Hulk Ultimate Destruction Spider-Man 1&2 for the PS1, X-Men Legends 1&2 and Ultimate Alliance. It's the movie tie ins that are horrid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e870e328354a
    deactivated-5e870e328354a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally played the Amazing Spider-Man game and I like it. Can't really see why everyone else doesn't.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Punisher on Ps2 was amazing.

Spider-man 1/2 on ps1 are classics.

The Hulk game on Ps2 (ultimate destruction)

Spider-man2 movie tie in was ok.

And ultimate alliance was ok

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Because Marvel sucks.

(Someone in this thread is going to kill me...)

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

There's been some good Spidey games in the past

It's also because DC make games which are not based on films and Marvel only make movie games and movie games are not great

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.