Who was or is the first super hero or super team of Marvel?

#1 Posted by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio

Copy says:

"?"

Invaders or the Twelve I think.Maybe the Liberteens.

#2 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

?

#3 Posted by Maximillius (249 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor

#4 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

What I mean is, who was the first main character Marvel started making. Not the time line in Marvel.

#5 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor. He is the first and longest running character in marvel. The first one to ever be born in the marvel universe would probably be living tribunal.

#6 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher says:

"Namor. He is the first and longest running character in marvel. The first one to ever be born in the marvel universe would probably be living tribunal."

The Fantastic Four came out before Namor did.

Edit: Actually it seems it was only the Android Human Torch
Post Edited:2008-05-25 19:38:13

#7 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

Copy says:

"Gambler says:
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Comics"

But, its wiki :)"

Cross Reference then :P

#9 Posted by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio

Copy says:

"What I mean is, who was the first main character Marvel started making. Not the time line in Marvel."

Spider-man? Hulk? F4? Iron Man? Iunno.

#10 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Comics"

But, its wiki :)

#11 Posted by Midnight Lantern (6011 posts) - - Show Bio

Copy says:

"?"

I believe it was the Android Human Torch.

#12 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

"The most successful new series was The Amazing Spider-Man, by Lee and Ditko." This was my favorite line so far. Take that Gambluh :)

#13 Posted by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio

Midnight Lantern says:

"Copy says:
"?"
I believe it was the Android Human Torch."

Could have been.

#14 Posted by Shatterstar (4547 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.comicvine.com/comic/marvel-comics/18577/109462/

Ka-Zar, Human Torch/Jim Hammond, Namor, The Angel were all in that issue so, all those were the first.

First team I'm pretty sure was the All Winners Squad created in the early 40s, though they got retconned into being the Invaders decades later.

#15 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"zee crusher says:
"Namor. He is the first and longest running character in marvel. The first one to ever be born in the marvel universe would probably be living tribunal."

Post Edited:2008-05-25 19:38:13"

I thought the human torch was byhimslf. I don't know if he was the android you speak off or thats toro. But the human torch sucked and marvel made him into a group right?

#16 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

ater on in October, 1939, Marvel Comics #1 came out. A group of successful superhero veterans from Funnies Inc. contacted publisher Martin Goodman. The Funnies group told him that they would present to him a prepared, finished comic book every month, for a service fee. Among this group was Bill Everett, who created Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner for this book. Other heroes from this comic are The Human Torch, created by Carl Burgos, Ka-Zar, The Angel, and The Masked Raider (who was a Lone Ranger rip-off). This company would go through three different name changes. The first was Timely Comics, the second was Atlas, and the third and present is Marvel Comics.

The Human Torch was re-done as a teenage member of the Fantastic Four in 1961, but The Original Human Torch was brought back for a short time in the 80's. The Angel was re-done as an X-men member, and Ka-Zar still lives on today, he recently got his own series.

#17 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a book called the marvel vault that has a complete history of the company. I am going to give you a list of the titles from the 1940's, in the order they appeared.

1.Human Torch

2.Ka'Zar (in a twelve page mini-series, so I don't think he counts)

3.Namor the Submariner

4.The Angel(a guy in a cape with a dirty sanchez who could fly and who's enemy was some dude named the armless tiger)

5.The Red Raven

6.Captain America

7.Miss America

8.The All-Winners(the destroyer, the patriot, the whizzer, and the vision(a guy from another dimension)

9.Super Rabbit

10.Ziggy pig and silly seal

11.Patsy Walker

12.Nellie the nurse(I'm not making these up)

13.Namora

14.The Blonde Phantom

15.Anne Oakley

16.Black Rider

17.Kid Colt; Outlaw

There you have. Yes, I realize I am a huge nerd:)

#18 Posted by Shatterstar (4547 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher says:

"Gambler says:
"zee crusher says:

Post Edited:2008-05-25 19:38:13"

I thought the human torch was byhimslf. I don't know if he was the android you speak off or thats toro. But the human torch sucked and marvel made him into a group right?"

That he sucked doesn't really have anything to do with it, there's a difference of almost 25 years between when the original and the FF member were created.

Also the X-Men Angel & original hero Angel have nothing to do with each other anymore than the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Angel has anything to do with them.

#19 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio

On a side note, have any of you guys seen a picture of Bill Everett, the guy who made Namor. THEY LOOK EXACTLY THE FREAKING SAME! another side note is that in the iniative, camp Hammond was named after the first human-torch, Jim Hammond.

#20 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio

Technically it was Ka-Zar. He was created, and had his own comic in 1936, a few years before Marvel Comics #1.

#21 Posted by Leroy (128 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know who the Armless Tiger is, but they need to bring him back. I am dying to read about this guy!

#22 Posted by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio
fesak said:
"Technically it was Ka-Zar. He was created, and had his own comic in 1936, a few years before Marvel Comics #1.
"
Ka-Zar.Namor,and Human Torch all appeared in the same comic...Marvel Comics #1.Human Torch was the first story in the book though.
#23 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"fesak said:
"Technically it was Ka-Zar. He was created, and had his own comic in 1936, a few years before Marvel Comics #1.
"
Ka-Zar.Namor,and Human Torch all appeared in the same comic...Marvel Comics #1.Human Torch was the first story in the book though."

Ka-Zar had his own book in 1936, Marvel Comics #1 was published in 1939.
#24 Posted by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio
fesak said:
"Vance Astro said:
"fesak said:
"
Ka-Zar.Namor,and Human Torch all appeared in the same comic...Marvel Comics #1.Human Torch was the first story in the book though."

"
Was that Marvel or Timely comics though?
#25 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio
Maximillius said:
"

Namor

"

#26 Posted by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio
Voidheart said:
"Maximillius said:
"

Namor

"

"

IT'S NOT NAMOR!
#27 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"fesak said:
"Vance Astro said:
"fesak said:
"

"
Was that Marvel or Timely comics though?"
Not sure, i think it was before Timely. Marvel as a company name didn't exist until the late 50s.

#28 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
fesak said:
"Vance Astro said:
"fesak said:
"Vance Astro said:
"fesak said:
"

"
Was that Marvel or Timely comics though?"
Not sure, i think it was before Timely. Marvel as a company name didn't exist until the late 50s.

"
well then shouldn't we be seeing who was the first character printed in a Marvel Comic (50's)?
#29 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio

They first hero published after the company officially became Marvel was probably  Dr. Druid, then called Dr. Droom.

#30 Posted by Vance Astro (91233 posts) - - Show Bio
fesak said:
"They first hero published after the company officially became Marvel was probably  Dr. Druid, then called Dr. Droom.
"

Marvel Comics #1 wasn't published by Marvel?
#31 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio

NoVance Astro said:

"fesak said:
"They first hero published after the company officially became Marvel was probably  Dr. Druid, then called Dr. Droom.
"

Marvel Comics #1 wasn't published by Marvel?"
No, it was published by Timely Comics which was founded by Martin Goodman.
I checked the Ka-Zar thing, and he was first published by Manvis Publishing, also owned by Martin Goodman
#32 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, after it the company was known as Timely and before it was Marvel, they had the name Atlas, which most readers came to refer to them as, while the writers would always just call it Timely. The company didn't officially take the name marvel until 1963, after it had begun publishing The Fantastic Four, The Incredible Hulk, The Mighty Thor, The Antman, and Spiderman, in that order, the first four titles of which began before that. Spider-man's original series did not do very well, but he mabe a comeback in 1963, so technically, that would make him the first of the marvels.

#33 Posted by Madrox (12 posts) - - Show Bio
Midnight Lantern said:
"

Copy says:

"?"

I believe it was the Android Human Torch.

"
YES, the original HUMAN TORCH was the 1st
#34 Posted by Adam Warlock (723 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor

#35 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

You could start to get picky about this, the same over at DC with characters like Superman and Batman who were published originally by National Allied Publications (DC's precurser). I think it's best in both cases to think of them as the same company as their predecessor as they aquired all their characters in the transition.

#36 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio

well, yeah, I you don;t to get all technical, it would come down to either the Human Torch, Namor, Ka-Zar, or the Angel. After that it would all depend on who's story appeared first in that first issue.

Leroy said:

"I don't know who the Armless Tiger is, but they need to bring him back. I am dying to read about this guy!"
Eat your heart out, Leroy

#37 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio
Cosmic Sentinel said:
"You could start to get picky about this, the same over at DC with characters like Superman and Batman who were published originally by National Allied Publications (DC's precurser). I think it's best in both cases to think of them as the same company as their predecessor as they aquired all their characters in the transition."

It has to be Ka-Zar, since he first was published in 1936 as i've said, published by Manvis Publishing, owned by Martin Goodman who also owned Timely.
The same Ka-Zar was later featured in Marvel Comics #1 in 1939 alongside Namor, Human Torch and the Angel.
#38 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio
fesak said:
"Cosmic Sentinel said:
"You could start to get picky about this, the same over at DC with characters like Superman and Batman who were published originally by National Allied Publications (DC's precurser). I think it's best in both cases to think of them as the same company as their predecessor as they aquired all their characters in the transition."

It has to be Ka-Zar, since he first was published in 1936 as i've said, published by Manvis Publishing, owned by Martin Goodman who also owned Timely.
The same Ka-Zar was later featured in Marvel Comics #1 in 1939 alongside Namor, Human Torch and the Angel."

Thats what I thought.  He was the first published before Namor and Captain America.
#39 Posted by Ball Buster (2041 posts) - - Show Bio

Human Torch.

#40 Posted by Lady L (311 posts) - - Show Bio

the first superhero group is the fantastic four

#41 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio
Lady L said:
"the first superhero group is the fantastic four"

What? No, there are many others before them.
#42 Posted by namorsubby (236 posts) - - Show Bio

namor predates marvel(it was actually called atlast and timely before marvel). he was actually featured in another comic beforehand that was never released to the public. sometimes he is called marvel's first, but jim hammond the original human torch technically is, due to the fact that his story was featured first in the first marvel comic. Marvel Comics #1. namor is considered the first anti-hero though(even before batman)

#43 Posted by EganTheVile1 (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

First hero was the original android Human Torch I believe, might have been Namor though

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.