Who is more powerful, Thor or the Silver Surfer?

• 114 results
#51 Posted by Cosmic_Supreme (26 posts) - - Show Bio

I love both just about equally and I also believe they are about equal in power. But if it actually came down to it, I think that the Surfer would come out victorious. It would certainly be close though.

#52 Posted by karetaker (1565 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mego_Stretch_Hulk: Thor.surfer said Thors hammer has more power in it than surfers entire cosmic energy array

#53 Posted by Mego_Stretch_Hulk (211 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is to talented for Surfer

#54 Posted by TheMarvelFanboy (270 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mega_spidey01: that picture says it all

#55 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5418 posts) - - Show Bio
@Onemoreposter

The Surfer easily if you go by the battle threads around here....which are lame because Superman could take both of them....

Lol. Then you woke up, Thor maybe but Surfer definitely pummels Supes.
Btw I side with Surfer in this one.
#56 Posted by jhazzroucher (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor for me

#57 Posted by Mr_Winchester (708 posts) - - Show Bio

Powerful would have to go to Surfer. The power cosmic is simply too vast in its capabilities. Using the power cosmic one can even create a synthetic Mijolnir with similar abilities.

#58 Posted by Epicbeast3000 (956 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much stalemate, Thor is physically stronger and a better fighter though.

#59 Edited by darthphoenix (757 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor- because...

1. A marvel favorite - Marvel writers are obiviously bias. They wouldnt dare have their favorites get beaten by characters that are not their cup of tea. Examples

Daredevil vs Psylocke - ok, fine, DD's mind is different, making him invulnerable to psychic attacks, why didn't writers make Psylocke use her telekenisis? DD wouldn't even make a move if Psylocke used her tk on DD.

Cyclops vs Captain America- Cyclops can level mountains. The range of his optic blast can be really big. how big is cap's shield? it's like covering a part of his body with a bulletproof jacket from a grenade.

2. Magic based powers- he can always get help from his dad.

#60 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor's incredibly powerful, but the Silver Surfer is more powerful.

#61 Edited by Lvenger (19936 posts) - - Show Bio

Based on actual feats and observation, the Surfer should take Thor in a majority of their encounters. Really, the guy has massive energy projection attacks, can absorb Thor's attacks and redirect them (though Thor can do this too) and has much faster reflexes than Thor. Plus he can vaporise him into atoms if they were fighting with their morals off.

#62 Posted by Jewlz_Verne (73 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_s_hammmer: you can't just say yeah he said. where did he say this when?

I think Thor too btw

#65 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought it was quite clear Surfer was the more powerful one.

#66 Edited by You_Got_Thored (82 posts) - - Show Bio

@malevolent1:

Solely based on that post I'sd say Silver Surfer gets Thored.

#67 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

Really, it depends whose writing and what the plot demands.

But, powerset-wise? No contest, the Silver Surfer.

#68 Edited by Bezza (3644 posts) - - Show Bio

Always found it weird that Thor gets owned by Hulk more times than not, but Thor owns Surfer in some of their encounters and Surfer owned Hulk on several occasions. Wish Marvel would sort this out. Even Stan Lee says Thor was designed to be Marvel's answer to Superman, but Surfer has got some crazy powers. Marvel should ditch Sentry, Hyperion and all these more recent Superman rip offs and use Thor more often to his full capabilities. He has a big fan base! Going by the form book, I back Thor!

#69 Posted by NICK31898 (2179 posts) - - Show Bio

The Surfer easily if you go by the battle threads around here....which are lame because Superman could take both of them....

Um, Idk, Remember, Superman is vulnerable to Magic.

#70 Posted by SheenLantern (6656 posts) - - Show Bio

@onemoreposter said:

Um, Idk, Remember, Superman is vulnerable to Magic.

Superman beats Thor with ease but still loses to Surfer.

#71 Posted by Perethorn (3401 posts) - - Show Bio

SS is more powerful in almost every aspect. Only physical strength is for Thor (and this is can be debatable)

#72 Posted by SkyRobo1 (313 posts) - - Show Bio

He went on to tango with Thanos in one of the coolest knockdown dragouts I've seen between two heavyweights that ended in a draw, and Thanos having to capture in a stasis field to stop.

Where can I find this?

Also to OP - I think it could go either ways. The 2 have been said to be equals. Only difference between them 2 is that SS use cosmic and a surf board while Thor uses magic and a hammer.

#73 Edited by NICK31898 (2179 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say Silver surfur, being about to shoot energy, move at light speed, and the fact that temperature, has no affect on him, also he can recreate his board, when it is rarely broken.

#74 Posted by heroesgold (608 posts) - - Show Bio

Surfer

#75 Edited by Ciriaco (15 posts) - - Show Bio

@skyrobo1 said:

@malevolent1 said:

He went on to tango with Thanos in one of the coolest knockdown dragouts I've seen between two heavyweights that ended in a draw, and Thanos having to capture in a stasis field to stop.

Where can I find this?

It's part of the Blood and Thunder arc, Silver Surfer vol.3 #88. And in Warlock and the Infinity Watch #25 (same arc) you have another epic battle between Odin and Thanos, worth checking out :).

#76 Posted by Bezza (3644 posts) - - Show Bio

Silver Surfer is potentially more powerful because the power cosmic offers him the opportunity to do almost anything. That said, Thor is the nearest thing SS has to a nemesis, because the power cosmic doesn't really work well against Thor's specific power set. Hence, SS said the power cosmic was no match for Mjolnir. The two are quite evenly matched, but in their prior encounters, Thor has more wins than surfer. Interesting really because Thor tends to get owned by Hulk who would be and has been owned by the Surfer. Its just the way that particular characters with particular powers do better against some high level opponents than others.

#77 Posted by SkyRobo1 (313 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza said:

Silver Surfer is potentially more powerful because the power cosmic offers him the opportunity to do almost anything. That said, Thor is the nearest thing SS has to a nemesis, because the power cosmic doesn't really work well against Thor's specific power set. Hence, SS said the power cosmic was no match for Mjolnir. The two are quite evenly matched, but in their prior encounters, Thor has more wins than surfer. Interesting really because Thor tends to get owned by Hulk who would be and has been owned by the Surfer. Its just the way that particular characters with particular powers do better against some high level opponents than others.

Maybe that's because SS is not human so Thor can fight him like he would any frost giant or any supernatural creature in the nine realms. He does not fear holding back since he knows he's fighting equally powerful as he is but not human.

#78 Posted by CatNorris5 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I really think thor and silver surfer are about equal, but I like thor better. Rune King Thor can beat (maybe) any incantation of silver surfer

#79 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

Silver Surfer, but Thor's one of the few characters with the equipment to beat him in a fair fight.

#80 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

Max raw power potential I'd give to Thor.

Versatility I give to Silver Surfer.

#81 Posted by Sebast_Allen (1477 posts) - - Show Bio

When did that new comic come out, the one where thor fought surfer and odin fought galactus, is it recent?

What are surfers most recent apperances

#82 Posted by ManInTheMountain (718 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's compare the two characters:

Physical Attributes- Thor is stronger, rougher, and has better durability.

Speed- Silver Surfer, hands down. He can travel faster than light and react in a nanosecond.

Weapon- Moljnr is better than the surfboard because it's a god weapon and it's a lot hurtful than a surfboard. Then again, the SS can make another one, but there's only one moljnr.

Main Source of Power- I would say Power Cosmic is better than Thor's magic and moljnr. Galactus>Odin/sky fathers/ celestial

Abilities- Silver Surfer

Black hole

Supernova

Matter manipulation

Energy manipulation

Telepathy

Time Travel

Thor

Lightning

Storms and earthquakes

Other powers granted by Gaea

Silver Surfer probably wins.

#83 Posted by Starbrander (147 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor

#84 Posted by Cutter (793 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would be 50/50...except Thor can kick his ass...unless...Quick Silver run as fast as he can to avoid it...lol

#85 Posted by Cutter (793 posts) - - Show Bio

oh wait....silver surfer....lol

#86 Edited by 2cool4fun (1367 posts) - - Show Bio

Silver Surfer is to Thor what Superman is to Green Lantern

#87 Posted by Mxyzptlk_CV (1163 posts) - - Show Bio

@starbrander: This fight you show in your scans isn't exactly proving the superiority Thor...

Thor had some kind of "illness"...and Surfer didn't want to fight him...

If Surfer wants to beat Thor, he does that with ease....

#88 Posted by BWANASIMBA (353 posts) - - Show Bio

Given the best SS has at best stalemated Thor, and at worst been humiliated by him... Thor. And no, SS was not beaten by a power gem Thor or a Warrior's Madness Thor. He alongside BRB and Adam Warlock got stomped by a regular Thor driven mad by a Valkyrie. It actually makes sense SS would lose, he's an introverted pacifist, Thor's a warrior born. SS could be a bit more powerful than Thor... and he'd still lose just because of their personality types.

#89 Posted by Eddgeric (10 posts) - - Show Bio

lol i find it funny how people here say that SS can take down the likes of superman and captain atom, yet when put up against thor, it may be a close fight? cmon now, i heard that the ss could transmute anything , so how in the hell is thor even gonna fight this guy?

#90 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8858 posts) - - Show Bio

The correct answer is Thor should be more powerful then Silver Surfer.

#91 Posted by youknowwhattodo (1146 posts) - - Show Bio

In terms of pure power, SS, however, he has one huge weakness and that is, more than any hero in the Marvel universe, he forgets his own powers....

#92 Edited by BWANASIMBA (353 posts) - - Show Bio

@youknowwhattodo said:

In terms of pure power, SS, however, he has one huge weakness and that is, more than any hero in the Marvel universe, he forgets his own powers....

lol this. I remember reading an old Wizard article that said something to the effect that out of all the powerhouse hero types he had the most random showings, basically power levels all over the place, so they put standard Superman and standard Thor as more powerful than him because of it (they gave examples, including back in the 60's/ 70's he took down some elders gods... but he also got humbled by the Thing.... multiple times). That's SS's big problem, people include powers he hasn't used in years. Hell, I can't even remember when he last used matter manipulation for anything serious, and in the Annihilators he was twice shown as not able to manipulate matter. It also doesn't help that no writer has ever actually explained what the Power Cosmic or Cosmic Awareness are or actually do, so writers used to/ possibly still do just do random crap with SS's power set.

#93 Edited by King-Stranglehold da first (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

Silver Surfer. Why is this even being debated?

#94 Posted by King-Stranglehold da first (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Based on actual feats and observation, the Surfer should take Thor in a majority of their encounters. Really, the guy has massive energy projection attacks, can absorb Thor's attacks and redirect them (though Thor can do this too) and has much faster reflexes than Thor. Plus he can vaporise him into atoms if they were fighting with their morals off.

Also this. Even though it was five months ago.

#95 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

@youknowwhattodo said:

lol this. I remember reading an old Wizard article that said something to the effect that out of all the powerhouse hero types he had the most random showings, basically power levels all over the place, so they put standard Superman and standard Thor as more powerful than him because of it (they gave examples, including back in the 60's/ 70's he took down some elders gods... but he also got humbled by the Thing.... multiple times). That's SS's big problem, people include powers he hasn't used in years. Hell, I can't even remember when he last used matter manipulation for anything serious, and in the Annihilators he was twice shown as not able to manipulate matter. It also doesn't help that no writer has ever actually explained what the Power Cosmic or Cosmic Awareness are or actually do, so writers used to/ possibly still do just do random crap with SS's power set.

Power cosmic let's you do pretty much anything.

#96 Posted by Onemoreposter (4049 posts) - - Show Bio

#97 Posted by Wolverine08 (42245 posts) - - Show Bio

Norrin.

#98 Posted by TopTierGoat (197 posts) - - Show Bio

Silver Down!

#99 Edited by Frankie92 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Rune King Thor has the power of the omnipotence so he is the stronger....than the ss of course.

#100 Posted by Experio (16023 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.