Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Who else thinks Marvel needs a New 52 type relauch?

• 110 results
    The Finality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The Finality

What are your thoughts?

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By rav4

I'm not saying they should, but if they did I might actually be able to bring myself to start reading Marvel... instead of trying to jump into the convoluted mess it is right now.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SandMan_

Marvel needs a reboot ASAP

Katie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Katie24

Well with the history that Marvel has with stealing ideas from DC, they just my get there own relaunch.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I don't think Marvel needs one right at the moment since DC has already done a relaunch, but maybe a few years down the line, Marvel should get a New 52 type relaunch, especially since all of their stories are so mixed up right now. The titles that should get a relaunch are:

1) Blade - I want to see more of him in the comics
    2) The Incredible Hulk
    3) Spider Man
    4) X-Men
    5) Ghost Rider
    6) Avengers

That's all I can think of so far.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TheAnnihilator

No, just no.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

I'd be open to it.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Blood1991

No, Marvel prides itself in its continuity. It can reboot without suddenly shifting everything or just throwing away years of history. A slow reboot is a yes, dropping everything I have ever read about a character for a new universe which will also be a complete mess is a terrible idea. Marvel needs new writers not a new universe.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#9  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

I don't know. A reboot is probably what the Marvel Staff wants.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheAnnihilator

Most of the people who are saying yes seem to be more DC fans. This isn't a shot at you or anything or meant to be disrespectful, but that's kind of a disservice to Marvel fans. You not liking it doesn't mean rebooting it will all of a sudden make it better to you.

If continuity is what's keeping you away, that isn't too big of a problem. I got into DC (pre-New 52) by doing the research on the characters and events I was interested in on the wiki.

If you just don't like Marvel period, well a reboot won't change that.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Hell no.

SpitfireINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SpitfireINK

I think they are almost there ... maybe next year?

They certainly could use it - Spider-Man's backstory is a convoluted nightmare right now (started all the way back with the Clone stories -- uggh.)

There are certainly many others that are equally ground-up and uninteresting now - X-Men, many of the X-Men villains, actually all the X-titles (save one - Uncanny X-Force),

Wolverine (oy is his a mess now), Iron Man is really becoming stagnant - and so many others.

Sure there are a small handful of stand-out titles - Captain America (Brubaker really does him justice) - the New Venom (yes some may cringe but he's far more interesting than a whiny disgruntled employee) -

Deadpool (actually one character that I honestly did not care for until I started reading the current series) - Winter Soldier (yes another Brubaker book - but its what he does well - I recommend reading it).

Its really just time we demanded more than the mediocrity many of these books have become - at $3.99 a piece - almost the price of a full length paperback book - I mean lets really start scrutinizing them.

No such thing as a "Filler Issue" anymore!

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Twentyfive

They don't really need a relaunch. Such a thing will take a LONG time of hard research into your own continuity to see which characters to include, which to throw away, what aspect they should have, what event in their lives should stay canon, etc. Way too confusing, and you can see that DC hasn't though it over completely. What they need, however, is:

1. Better editorial direction
    2. Stop milking the same two franchises
    3. Include more genres

The have one fantasy comic (to my knowledge), and probably NO horror comics. Comic storytelling goes beyond superheroes, and often times, superhero comics can transcend the usual mindless action stories. Marvel needs to learn these things.

Also, I think the main problem that relaunches have (as DC is will show us in due time) is that the comics will eventually revert to the same stories we have read before.

Gwen Stacy is going to die because that is what readers will expect. People will expect Jean to be consumed by the Phoenix Force at some point or another, and if these stories are altered even in the slightest, fans will bleat out their dissatisfaction like a huge pack angry dogs. I wouldn't want to read or hear that jargon. I'm good, lol. If they changed the founding members of the Avengers to include Hawkeye, Falcon, and Widow, people will wail about the exclusion of Hank and Jan, and so on.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By dernman

I don't know about full reboot but maybe a soft one to clean out some of the clutter. I think the will need to do it eventually though. When characters who were very young when they started out end up close to the same age as the ones who were adults at that time then you know you need to take some kind of relaunch.

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CODYSF

I got a feeling we are going to see a Marvel reboot sooner or later in the future.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By danhimself

no...the people who say that it's hard to get into comics because of continuity are just lazy and are ruining it for the rest of us....seriously...we have the internet and Comic Vine and tons of other wiki sites...it's super easy to get online and figure out what happened before you started reading....laziness has already ruined the DC Universe for a lot of people and before anyone brings up the jump in sales then you should know that sales numbers have already gone down to pretty much where they were before the reboot

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@danhimself said:

no...the people who say that it's hard to get into comics because of continuity are just lazy and are ruining it for the rest of us....seriously...we have the internet and Comic Vine and tons of other wiki sites...it's super easy to get online and figure out what happened before you started reading....laziness has already ruined the DC Universe for a lot of people and before anyone brings up the jump in sales then you should know that sales numbers have already gone down to pretty much where they were before the reboot

This!

tim2081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tim2081

@Twentyfive said:

3. Include more genres

The have one fantasy comic (to my knowledge), and probably NO horror comics. Comic storytelling goes beyond superheroes, and often times, superhero comics can transcend the usual mindless action stories. Marvel needs to learn these things.

Blade and Ghost Rider can be considered horror, so can some of Dr. Strange's stories, and the Marvel Zombies series. Marvel also has more gray-area characters, and less stereotypical superheroes, like Hulk, Punisher, and Wolverine. Otherwise, I agree that they don't need a reboot, but more focused storytelling.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I thought that was what Ultimate Marvel was..then it went and rebooted itself.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gambit1024

Yes. Marvel needs a relaunch more than DC ever did. And if they're anything like the Season One books, it'd be even better. Love those things.

...Actually, you know what? Marvel should just relaunch their writing staff. They have, like, 4 really good writers, and none of them are calling the shots.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @The Stegman said:
    I thought that was what Ultimate Marvel was..then it went an rebooted itself.
    Yep.
    Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Twentyfive

@tim2081: I'm not even sure when the last time Blade was on the stand, never mind having his own series. Both Ghost Rider and Dr. Strange don't currently have their own ongoing comic (but defenders is cool), and I'm not sure if Marvel Zombies is a current comic. I'm mostly talking about comics that are ongoings that are still coming out. Yeah I was not thinking about the Punisher when I was typing my previous post lol.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@Twentyfive said:

@tim2081: I'm not even sure when the last time Blade was on the stand, never mind having his own series. Both Ghost Rider and Dr. Strange don't currently have their own ongoing comic (but defenders is cool), and I'm not sure if Marvel Zombies is a current comic. I'm mostly talking about comics that are ongoings that are still coming out. Yeah I was not thinking about the Punisher when I was typing my previous post lol.

There is a current Marvel Zombies series featuring a 616 team travelling to alternate dimensions to stop them.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@danhimself said:

This is just a beautiful read. I support 100%

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By PowerHerc

I don't. Not me.

PUNlSHER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PUNlSHER

@Blood1991 said:

No, Marvel prides itself in its continuity. It can reboot without suddenly shifting everything or just throwing away years of history. A slow reboot is a yes, dropping everything I have ever read about a character for a new universe which will also be a complete mess is a terrible idea. Marvel needs new writers not a new universe.

Well said.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By InnerVenom123

No.

They don't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your looking for a short term fix to prop up sales, then yes a New 52 style relaunch is the solution. If you want the quality of the titles and events to improve this really does not do anything but add hype.

Zomboid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zomboid

I don't necessarily think they need a reboot/revamp/whatever, I think they seriously just need to start getting their s*** together.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ssejllenrad

Marvel did a better job with their Ultimate Universe by not scrapping the original continuity and simply made one that was more down-to-earth. Unfortunately, they managed to screw that universe up.

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Redberry

I'm a Marvel fan, and I wouldn't oppose to a reboot. Marvel's sales is still going strong at the moment, so I don't think they need one just yet, maybe 5-10 years down the line.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheHeat

Marvel isn't as desperate as DC was. The new 52 was really good for DC at first, but their sales nowadays seem to be the same as prior to the reboot. I'd say no to a reboot.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheHeat
    @danhimself said:

THIS!
    Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Malonius

I don't think they need a reboot. The histories of characters can be complicated but so long as you focus mainly on the present events and present relationships you're not going to scare new people off. I like a good text recap on the inside front cover if it's necessary and pertinent to explain, say, Gambit's relationship to Mr. Sinister. The really complicated characters continuity wise are Jean Grey and Spider-man. Still, I don't know that a reboot is called for. Just have a quiet editorial direction that writer's should never make Madeline Pryor or the Clone Saga a pertinent issue in a current story and you'll never have to deal with all that stuff. I really hope the "One More Day" crap somehow goes away. Peter and Mary Jane should have just got divorced.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @Twentyfive said:

They don't really need a relaunch. Such a thing will take a LONG time of hard research into your own continuity to see which characters to include, which to throw away, what aspect they should have, what event in their lives should stay canon, etc. Way too confusing, and you can see that DC hasn't though it over completely. What they need, however, is:

3. Include more genres

Also, I think the main problem that relaunches have (as DC is will show us in due time) is that the comics will eventually revert to the same stories we have read before.

Gwen Stacy is going to die because that is what readers will expect. People will expect Jean to be consumed by the Phoenix Force at some point or another, and if these stories are altered even in the slightest, fans will bleat out their dissatisfaction like a huge pack angry dogs. I wouldn't want to read or hear that jargon. I'm good, lol. If they changed the founding members of the Avengers to include Hawkeye, Falcon, and Widow, people will wail about the exclusion of Hank and Jan, and so on.

I totally agree!  I think that even if Marvel did have a relaunch, as long as they have the same writers and the same editorial direction they currently have, things still won't change even after the reboot.
    Avatar image for royale_with_cheese
    royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheAnnihilator said:

Most of the people who are saying yes seem to be more DC fans. This isn't a shot at you or anything or meant to be disrespectful, but that's kind of a disservice to Marvel fans. You not liking it doesn't mean rebooting it will all of a sudden make it better to you.

If continuity is what's keeping you away, that isn't too big of a problem. I got into DC (pre-New 52) by doing the research on the characters and events I was interested in on the wiki.

Straight out of my goddamn mouth!

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@royale_with_cheese said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

Straight out of my goddamn mouth!

Amen.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @TheAnnihilator said:

No, just no.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

In the fifty threads before this asking the same question, no. Marvel just needs to stop the events and focus on just telling stories again.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @god_spawn said:

In the fifty threads before this asking the same question, no. Marvel just needs to stop the events and focus on just telling stories again.

I definitely agree with this!  If Marvel just concentrates on making good stories in the future, then they won't have to worry about a relaunch.
    Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#41  Edited By Strider1992

@Ravager4 said:

I'm not saying they should, but if they did I might actually be able to bring myself to start reading Marvel... instead of trying to jump into the convoluted mess it is right now.

Well something is going to happen in Amazing Spider-man 700 (after AvX) that to quote Slott "Is going to be huge and rock the whole Marvel universe. It's the biggest thing i've ever done with a character". I believe it was also stated somewhere that it would be a jump in point. So although its not a reboot as such it might change the Marvel Uni as what ever happens to Spider-man is apparently going to have an effect on nearly every Marvel title.

VictorGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By VictorGrey

@Illuminatus said:

I'd be open to it.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#43  Edited By Deadcool

@Katie24 said:

Well with the history that Marvel has with stealing ideas from DC, they just my get there own relaunch.

And viceversa.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By Chaos Burn

yes to be honest, at least they need some serious character overhaul. I'm hoping Avengers vs X-men leads to someone using the Phoenix Force to bring Marvel back to the good ol' times

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#45  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I think they need one.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46  Edited By KainScion

only lazy people and dc fans want a reboot. the continuity is good as it is. dont ruin it for the rest of us. just because dc screwed the pooch big time with the new52 that doesnt mean marvel has to too.

Avatar image for darth_brendroid
    darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By darth_brendroid

I personally think that both companies should try their best to maintain stable and quality creative teams who do their run, tell their stories, then leave and allow a new team to do a run which is their own set of stories and so on. Each team should also be allowed to tie up any loose ends and properly conclude their run before leaving the title, just so there's a sense of closure and the new team, although continuing with the character and maintaining continuity, provides a good jump-on point. It sounded good in my head.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Strider92: Ugh..that means Dan Slott will be on ASM until at least #700 :( my day just became a little sadder.
    Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#49  Edited By Strider1992

@Manwhohaseverything said:

@Strider92: Ugh..that means Dan Slott will be on ASM until at least #700 :( my day just became a little sadder.

To be honest I don't really have a problem with Slott's writing BUT i will admit "Who Is Alpha?" arc has me worried.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Strider92: Slott is actually popular and my opinion that he's a lousy writer is a minority one. (I went into detail why I think this on a review once) I complain about him more because he's writing a character, and a title that I love. A title I refuse to quit collecting. If he took over Daredevil from Mark Waid (Waid is the reason I'm reading Daredevil.) I'd simply drop the title, but I can't do that with ASM.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.