Where to start in Marvel Comics

#1 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

I am usually a DC person but i just recently finished the ultimate spider-man comics. i dropped it during the death of spider-man arc. i loved ultimate spieder-man prior to that arc and esp b4 ultimatum that i am looking to start reading some more marvel comics. What would be a good starting point for marvel comics such as Amazing spider-man, x-men, avengers titles & other recommended marvel titles.

Any suggestions would be welcome

#2 Posted by ComicFan_13 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I would start, after a event has ended. Right now, There's Fear Itself, Spider-Island, and Schism all happening right now. Schism just ended today, Fear Itself finishes later on this month, and I don't know when Spider-Island ends.  

#3 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

In about 2 years. Nothing Marvel is doing right now is really worth jumping on.

#4 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm. I thought Marvel had a lot going on. It looks like I'd prob wait till the Spider-Island arc ends.

#5 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (7559 posts) - - Show Bio

A good starting point for Amazing Spider-man is the start of the story arc Spider-Island which starts at issue 666.

#6 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks. What about the Avengers, or X-men titles

#7 Edited by Timandm (3316 posts) - - Show Bio

@soccersss said:

Thanks. What about the Avengers, or X-men titles

Well, now is the time to start with the X-Men as Schism just ended.. But there are so many titles... how many are you wanting/willing to read?

Uncanny X-Men has always been the mainstay of the X-Men titles.

X-Force is the violent X-men series... They kill the enemy... I like this one.

Wolverine and the X-Men will begin next month. I just read Schism and some of the characters I have been wanting to see more of will be with Wolverine... I suggest giving this one a try.

X-Factor isn't really associated with the X-Men directly, but most of their members have been X-Men. I LOVE this series... and now is a good jumping on point as they just finished an arc...

Astonishing X-Men, X-Men Legacy, and X-Men are mostly side stories or tie-ins... I read them all... But if you were to only go with three I'd say, Wolverine and the X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and X-Factor...

Regarding the Avengers... There's Avengers, Avengers Academy, New Avengers, and Secret Avengers. New Avengers is my favorite, although I read them all... New Avengers has Luke Cage, Jessica Cage, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Ms. Marvel, Thing, Dr. Strange, Iron Fist, Mockingbird, and Daredevil. I'd say of all the Avengers series, it's the one that is most 'fun.'

@TheCrowbar said:

In about 2 years. Nothing Marvel is doing right now is really worth jumping on.

That is SOOO not true... There's that really nifty Calendar they put out....

#8 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm
The Ultron War is a cool concept, but since Schism I don't have much faith in Marvel's ability to get the job done.
#9 Posted by Timandm (3316 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@Timandm: The Ultron War is a cool concept, but since Schism I don't have much faith in Marvel's ability to get the job done.

Well, with Marvel NOTHING is ever really " DONE "

Was Jean Grey "done" when she died? I mean the first time... Oh no wait.. Um.. The SECOND time.. No.. no not then either.. Maybe it was the third time?? Well, ONE of those times..

And remember that X-Men's story arc with the sentinels? Remember? That one... Was it over after they destroyed all the Sentinels? I think not...

And was Asgard "DONE" after Ragnarok, "The END OF ALL THINGS ASGARDIAN.." SMURF NO...

NOTHING with Marvel will EVER be done! BUU WAH HA HA HA HA... BUUWWWAAA HA HA HA HA!!!!

#10 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm:  
I mean the ability to take a cool concept and turn it into a good comic book event. Marvel hasn't done it since Civil War, though I do have to say the ending of Siege with the shield coming for Osborn's face was totally worth it.
#11 Posted by Timandm (3316 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@Timandm: I mean the ability to take a cool concept and turn it into a good comic book event. Marvel hasn't done it since Civil War, though I do have to say the ending of Siege with the shield coming for Osborn's face was totally worth it.

I knew what you meant... I'm just on a sugar high. My wife just came home with ice cream. MAN I love that woman!

#12 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

@soccersss: In my humble opinion the only title Marvel has right now worth jumping on is Daredevil. You didn't mention him but even if your not familiar with the character you shouldn't have trouble with the new series and so far it only has four issues out.

#13 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio
@DoomDoomDoom said:

@soccersss: In my humble opinion the only title Marvel has right now worth jumping on is Daredevil. You didn't mention him but even if your not familiar with the character you shouldn't have trouble with the new series and so far it only has four issues out.

Thanks. I'm familiar with Daredevil from the ultimate universe and his appearance in spiderman tas & movie. Is his new book a continuity or is it a new start.
#14 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

@soccersss: No problem, I'm pretty sure this title is still in continuity. I'm not really familiar with Daredevil either but I haven't had any trouble not knowing his background. If you have a general Idea of his origin story you'll be fine. The artist is Rivera who I'm a big fan of.

#15 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio
@DoomDoomDoom
Cool. I do have a general knowledge of his background so I'd give a try. I guess I'd add Daredevil to my list. I already picked up Ultimate Spidey 1& 2
#16 Posted by tron_bonne (2282 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing Spider-Man Volume 1 issue 1 
Uncanny X-Men Volume 1 issue 1 
Astonishing X-Men Volume 1 issue 1 
Incredible Hulk Volume 1 issue 1 
J2 Issue 1 
The Juggernaut issue 1 
The Fantastic Four Volume 1 issue 1 
Strange Tales Volume 1 issue #110 then follow up on Dr. Strange Volume 1 issue 1 

It's better to start at the beginning so you can gradually grow with the character with less confusion and therefore build a better respect for the characters, their teams, the stories and the overall history of the comic.

#17 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

@soccersss: Cool! I never did get into the Ultimate universe.

#18 Posted by MutenRoshi (850 posts) - - Show Bio

I would buy old books, pick up classic TPBs that everyone talked about for the past decade and will continue talking about for the next 10 years

1 Ultimates 1 & 2 Avengers

2 JMS or Walt's TPB on Thor

3 Dark Phoenix Saga

4 Annihilation / Guardians of the Galaxy / Nova

5 Brubaker/Bendis on Daredevil

6 Whedon's Xmen run or Claremont's

7 Demon in a Bottle or Civil War

8 Busiek's Marvels

9 Kree/Skrull War/ Infinity Gauntlet / Secret Wars

10 Incredible Hercules

#19 Edited by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

Good TPB's to pick up: The Bendis/Maleev Daredevil trades vol.1-3, The ultimates 1 vol.1-2, ultimates 2 vol 1-2. 

I also highly suggest DD for present day, and the new ultimate line is badass, it's only 4 comics to follow :)
#20 Posted by Loki9876 (3039 posts) - - Show Bio

if you want t collect iron man i would buy invincible iron man by matt fraction you have some catching up to do but i think i't worth it

you could also collect avengers academy there are just two tpb of it and one anual tpb but it isn't really necesary

jms run on thor

brubaker's captain america

#21 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the advice. I am now following the Ultimate Franchise reboot. I got Invincible Iron man (man i got a lot of catching up to do). I would wati for the Wolverine & the X-men. Thats all I can handle at the moment. Thanks again

#22 Posted by Hulkomaniac (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I started reading marvel over a year ago and after jumping back and forth between a few major event arcs, I started doing some intense research on the marvel major event chronology. I'm a stickler for knowing most the facts and backgrounds of a story before I start an event. After much deliberation and research I found the best saga for me to start with is one from the beginning of this last decade, Avengers Dissassembled. That was where many of the past ten years of stories and references become relevant for this era of Marvel comics. From their I will list the major marvel events/crossovers in chronological order that were interesting and relevant to me:

Avengers Dissasembled

Fury's Secret War

The Breakout

The Sentry

House of M

Annihilation

Deadly Genesis

Endangered Species

Planet Hulk

Civil War (New Avengers has a great prelude to this)

The innitiative

Annihiltion conquest

World War Hulk

Skaar- Son of Hulk

Messiah Complex

Divided we stand

Secret Invasion

Manifest Destiny

Dark Reign

Messiah War

Utopia

Nation X

Necrosha

Siege

Fall of the Hulks

Second Coming

Doom War

The Thanos Imperative

Curse of the Mutants

World War Hulks

Chaos War

And last but not least, I've just started the Fear itself saga. I've had an amazing run with Marvel over the past year and now I'm a bigger fan than ever. Hope you find your niche in marvel! '

#23 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hulkomaniac
 Thanks. I'll check some of the events u listed out. Now I have a lot of Marvel books to start from :)
#24 Posted by ChampionCityComics (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the Bendis and Maleev Daredevil trades. Excellent stuff. Brubaker did a great job with Daredevil as well, so you can't go wrong. Check out the old-school collections of The Avengers, The Hulk, X-Men, The Silver Surfer, and Spider-Man. They are classics, man.

#25 Posted by Man of Lengend (997 posts) - - Show Bio

The Cable/Deadpool series got me into comics again, and now I read ten titles with a variety of characters every month.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.